Start by marking “Ordinary Differential Equations” as Want to Read:
Ordinary Differential Equations

Ordinary Differential Equations

Skillfully organized introductory text examines origin of differential equations, then defines basic terms and outlines the general solution of a differential equation. Subsequent sections deal with integrating factors; dilution and accretion problems; linearization of first order systems; Laplace Transforms; Newton's Interpolation Formulas, more.
Published October 1st 1985 by Dover Publications

To ask other readers questions about Ordinary Differential Equations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ordinary Differential Equations

Ethan Hoskins
Nov 08, 2013 Ethan Hoskins rated it really liked it
Ordinary Differential Equations by Morris Tenenbaum is a great reference book,it has an extended amount information that you may not be able to receive in a classroom environment. The book goes over a range of topics involving differential equations, from how differential equations originated to the existence and uniqueness theorem for the linear differential equation of order n.
Throughout the book all essential terms are defined clearly, and readers are able to interact with the author of the
Garrett
Mar 08, 2015 Garrett rated it it was amazing
Ditch Boyce and DiPrima (the textbook you were probably assigned) and get this. Really good explanations and problems that help to build an intuitive understanding of ODE's.

I really like the ordering of the chapters and the fact that they don't tend to skip even simple algebraic steps in proofs and explanations. If you're having a hard time in class I'd definitely recommend this book. It helped me a lot!
Derek Olson
Feb 02, 2017 Derek Olson rated it liked it
I bought this book back in the day because a reviewer on amazon.com said that it read more like a Tom Clancy novel than a math textbook. I found it to be mostly true. There are probably better diffeq books out there, but this was my first and I have fond memories of reading it.
Adam
Aug 07, 2011 Adam rated it really liked it
The virtue of the text is that it gives a very clear understanding of applications of differential equations, both within the field of mathematics, and to physical systems. In fact, I've read other popular Differential Equations texts like those by Zill and Boyce, and I would say that no other book on the market deals as comprehensively and intelligibly as this one.

However, the book's vice is that it makes so much effort to connect the applications with the equations, that the flow of concepts f
John Fu
Mar 26, 2013 John Fu rated it it was amazing
Good intermediate level college text for learning ODEs. Chapters are extensive, concepts clearly presented, and practice problems are a good blend of that evil but necessary plug-and-chug grinding, physical modeling, and extended special cases that require ingenuity and dedication. I didn't get through the entire book, instead focusing on the second order ODEs, from the Method of Undetermined Coefficients to Variation of Parameters to Reduction or Order, and then covering some physical models us ...more
John
Mar 26, 2013 John rated it it was amazing
Andrew Obrigewitsch
Apr 07, 2016 Andrew Obrigewitsch rated it it was amazing
Shelves: educational, math
This book is actually incredible. I've never seen a math book that explained things so clearly, especially for are more difficult subject such as this. Without this book there is no way I would have passed my Differential Equations class, as they book selected for that class only had one use and that was as kindling to start a fire, despite it's $150 price. The Funny thing is that this book cost $12, but the authors of the $150 book where so cheap that they left out example to save paper or refe ...more
Victor
Feb 17, 2014 Victor rated it it was amazing
This is an amazingly complete reference on differential equations.
The authors offer techniques with lucid explanations and shortcuts.
There are ample problems and answers to cut your teeth on.
The categorizations are brilliant and the techniques really get under your skin.
There are also whole sections devoted to real life problems that lead to differential equations, again replete with examples and solutions.
The miraculous part of this book is just the number of problems provided.
Warren Gossett
Jun 19, 2015 Warren Gossett rated it really liked it
This book answered some questions I had about differential equations. It is quite extensive so that like many mathematical texts or papers I can't claim to have tested all the examples or theorems.
Ronald Lett
May 12, 2011 Ronald Lett rated it liked it
Shelves: analysis
As the description says, this is a well-organized text on how to solve various types of ODEs. It is not a text that you read cover-to-cover, it is best used as an excellent reference.
Braden Talbot
Braden Talbot rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2015
James Roche
James Roche rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2014
James
James rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2017
Spencer Bryngelson
Spencer Bryngelson rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2015
マイケル アダムス
マイケル アダムス rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2014
Ken Scott
Ken Scott rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Halmat Khoshnaw
Halmat Khoshnaw rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2015
Ajutajit Bhattacharya
Ajutajit Bhattacharya rated it did not like it
Sep 17, 2015
Sana Omar
Sana Omar rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Princess Stargirl
Princess Stargirl rated it it was ok
Feb 27, 2015
Yi Liu
Yi Liu rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2015
Thomas H Reilly III
Thomas H Reilly III rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2017
Misc
Misc rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2015
Annelida
Annelida rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2013
Feng Zhu
Feng Zhu rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2015
Steve Dalton
Steve Dalton rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2014
M
M rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Bob
Bob rated it liked it
May 22, 2012
Nur Shlapobersky
Nur Shlapobersky rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2014
Salma Alrasheed
Salma Alrasheed rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Linear Algebra
  • Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers
  • Linear Algebra Done Right
  • Introduction to Topology
  • Calculus On Manifolds: A Modern Approach To Classical Theorems Of Advanced Calculus
  • Mathematics: Its Content, Methods and Meaning
  • Topology
  • A Book of Abstract Algebra
  • Real and Complex Analysis
  • Fourier Series (Dover Books on Mathematics)
  • How to Prove It: A Structured Approach
  • Naive Set Theory
  • Lectures on Quantum Mechanics
  • Visual Complex Analysis

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »