Start by marking “Living Color: A Writer Paints Her World” as Want to Read:
Living Color: A Writer Paints Her World

Living Color: A Writer Paints Her World

Join the bestselling author of Wild Mind and Writing Down the Bones as she explores a new realm of creativity--the world of color--and offers us an intimate view of how everyday life is transformed into art.

In twelve high-spirited chapters, Natalie introduces us to her family, her artist friends, her New Mexico home, her painting trips to Europe--always focusing on the que
Published September 2nd 1997 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Living Color, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living Color

Nancy Canyon
Jun 23, 2009 Nancy Canyon rated it it was amazing
This is a terrific book. I attended Natalie Goldberg's workshop based on this book in Taos, New Mexico in 1997. We did some drawings in class as well as fast writing. Natalie's work is based on following the first thought "from the bottom of the mind." So even with our drawings, we were to look and see and draw continuous line drawings without thinking. Like the walking meditation we did to get to the fence-line or building we drew, just put the pencil or pen on paper and go. It was mind opening ...more
Carole Calladine
Jan 20, 2015 Carole Calladine rated it it was amazing
Of all of Natalie Goldberg's books, this is my favorite. In it, she explores the creative process and living the creative life. She gives women, in particular, permission to take up space to do their art. They don't have to sit in the laundry room, under the staircase, or even at the dining room table to write, draw, imagine. The idea of studio becomes alive. The vibrant drawings that accompany the twelve chapters jump off the page as does the writing.
Janice
Sep 17, 2007 Janice rated it it was amazing
one of my favorite authors and Buddhist friends writes about her life and illustrates it 'in living color'. It's subtitled A Writer Paints Her World.

here is a tiny excerpt to give the flavor "I noticed that the blue of my paints wasn't blue enough to get the intensity of that New Mexico sky. I painted the sky red instead."

Tender stories of family and friends ... the paint of her father is extraordinary
Katie
Feb 04, 2013 Katie rated it really liked it
Debated between 3-4 stars. I love her voice and enjoy reading her work. I find myself laughing and relating - and highlighting passages where she describes things so eloquently.

That said, I am not a fan of autobiographies in general...
Joann Amidon
May 31, 2014 Joann Amidon rated it it was amazing
When I picked up this book, the work I was trying to create was stuck. The direction came to me after three hours of reading and I was inspired to pick up needle and thread again. Thank you Natalie.
Leslie
Feb 08, 2008 Leslie rated it really liked it
I love this book!
Barbara
Jun 10, 2009 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any one, especially creative people searching
It was inspiring
Lindy
Aug 19, 2011 Lindy rated it really liked it
Making the experiences of life into a visual journey.
Cari Polena
Mar 01, 2010 Cari Polena rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: non-artists who like to paint
A color explosion with crooked lines and nice stories.
Peggy
Jul 26, 2009 Peggy rated it it was amazing
Loved this
Erin
Feb 25, 2008 Erin rated it it was amazing
Great chance to see Natalie's paintings and to get her larger thoughts on art outside of the focus of writing.
Martha
Apr 01, 2014 Martha rated it liked it
This is the original book written by ms Goldberg describing her ventures into painting and how she was influenced by several modern painters. Another of her books, Writing Down the Bones, has been a classic and practical writing guide for many. Practical also describes this compact set of ideas on painting.
Cherie
Nov 13, 2010 Cherie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Venessa
Shelves: non-fiction, writing
A The process of becoming a writer through the journey of painting (though I don't like her paintings).
Hella
Jan 11, 2014 Hella rated it really liked it
Shelves: creativiteit
lees de recensie in de Heldenreis Nieuwsbrief van mei 2014 http://heldenreis.nl/wp-content/uploa...
Claire Nickle
Claire Nickle rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2012
Mekhal
Mekhal rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2011
Jayne
Jayne rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2008
Lindsaygail
Lindsaygail rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2011
Sherry
Sherry rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2011
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it it was ok
Jan 09, 2012
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2014
Susan Stewart
Susan Stewart rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
Maryka
Maryka rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2008
Nikki Rinderer
Nikki Rinderer rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2012
David Weiss
David Weiss rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2012
Pat
Pat rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2008
Hibou Lael
Hibou Lael rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2009
Cara
Cara rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2013
Pearl
Pearl rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2011
Jo Jensen
Jo Jensen rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2015
  • Life, Paint and Passion
  • On Becoming an Artist: Reinventing Yourself Through Mindful Creativity
  • Free Play: Improvisation in Life and Art
  • Writing Begins with the Breath: Embodying Your Authentic Voice
  • Coaching the Artist Within: Advice for Writers, Actors, Visual Artists, and Musicians from America's Foremost Creativity Coach
  • All-Night Party: The Women of Bohemian Greenwich Village and Harlem, 1913-1930
  • The Lonely Patient: How We Experience Illness
  • Vermeer: The Complete Works
  • Joseph Cornell: Shadowplay. . .Eterniday
  • Home Before Dark
  • Mastering Composition: Techniques and Principles to Dramatically Improve Your Painting (Mastering (North Light Books))
Natalie Goldberg lived in Brooklyn until she was six, when her family moved out to Farmingdale, Long Island, where her father owned the bar the Aero Tavern. From a young age, Goldberg was mad for books and reading, and especially loved Carson McCullers's The Ballad of the Sad Cafe , which she read in ninth grade. She thinks that single book led her eventually to put pen to paper when she was twe ...more
More about Natalie Goldberg...