Start by marking “My Friends/Mis Amigos” as Want to Read:
My Friends/Mis Amigos

My Friends/Mis Amigos

Simple words and bold illustrations show children that friends are easy to find even in the most unlikely places.
Published March 16th 2006 by Chronicle Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about My Friends/Mis Amigos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Friends/Mis Amigos

Dec 11, 2015 Rossy rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Simple, yet adorable.
Short, repetitive, and easy sentences, and a delightful ending that got me all "aaaaaw <3 ".
Christina De la Garza
Mar 06, 2016 Christina De la Garza rated it really liked it
Gomi, Taro. My Friends (1989). San Francisco: Chronicle Books.
We all learn from our parents, but who are our other teachers? In this simple board book, an adventurous little girl pays tribute to her friends- both animal and human- and all that they have taught her. On each page, she follows a member of her menagerie of friends and demonstrates what they have shown her to do: walk, jump, hide, kick, and even learn. Gomi's simple and repetitive text is ideal for a toddler or preschool audience,
Andrea Wickenhagen
Dec 02, 2013 Andrea Wickenhagen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
My Friends, is a great book for beginning readers. It is a simple read, yet the story is something children can relate to. It references to all different things the little girl learns to do from all of her different friends ."I learned to sing from my friends the birds," each action she learns from her friends relates to the characteristic of the animal or person she is describing. This is a very fantastic story for young readers because it helps the reader visualize each action she is learning ...more
Dec 02, 2013 Chelsea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: friends
This book is a great beginner book for children. There is simple vocab and a lot of repetition. It’s all about making friends and how they teach you to do different things. In the book the girl learns things from friends that are not always people—cats, monkeys, and dogs. At the end she says “I learned to love from a friend like you”, leaving you on a positive note. The book is written and illustrated on two pages at time, making it fun and easy for a younger reader to learn the words on their o ...more
Tyffani Mine
Apr 07, 2014 Tyffani Mine rated it liked it
This story is about a young girl who is expressing all the different things she has learned from her surrounding "friends." She reveals that she learned to walk and jump from a cat and dog, and also learned to hide and explore from a rabbit and an ant. This book is translated in English and Spanish and can be used to teach reading fluency. The words "I learned to..from my friend.." are repeated in the text followed by a different thing she learned and a different friend. The students can use the ...more
Nicki Blomquist
Jan 26, 2010 Nicki Blomquist rated it really liked it
This brightly illustrated pre-school book introduces the reader to a variety of friends. The little girl in this story shares her friendships with almost everyone she comes across. The book ends with the reader as the newest friend to the little girl.

One of the great things about this book is the illustrations that are weaved across the page. They really give the reader a sense of Tokyo. The farms look a bit different than we are used to seeing them. The teachers in the book are dresses a profes
Dec 19, 2014 Brittany added it
Recommends it for: Grades K and 1
Moral of the story: You can be friends with everyone!

From the viewpoint of a little girl traveling across the land and running into different animals who all show friendship in different ways, i.e. the ant teaches her how to explore. This would be a good book for young readers because there is only a short sentence on each page and the words are repetitive. Could be used as a collaborative book idea, or to be used as a morning greeting to promote relationships in the classroom.

Grade level Equiv
Amie Rudder
Sep 29, 2015 Amie Rudder rated it really liked it
This book is so cute. It is about a young Hispanic girl who uses her imagination and stories she has read about books and talks about how she has learned things from them. She also points out that she learns things from her teachers and her friends. This is a good book about friendship. I will add this to my library for my students to read. I think they would love to read this story and it is a good independent read. I would recommend this book to teachers and parents.
Karelle Royal
This story is about a little girl who makes friends everywhere she goes.
This is a great first day of school/first week of school book for PreK - K students.
Good book to use to teach students about how easy it is to make friends.
Character traits: acceptance
Art: can have students draw pictures or bring in photographs of their friends and write a story about them.
Illustrations: real photographs.
Dec 28, 2015 Jill rated it really liked it
I wanted to read this book after finding someone's idea to do yoga with children citing this book as their inspiration. This was a good, simple story, also in Spanish so it is good for different themed storytimes. And as a bonus, if you wanted to do a few simple yoga poses with the kids after, it would be a great way to settle some wiggles. ;-)
Christine Turner
Mar 20, 2011 Christine Turner rated it liked it
A little girl learns to walk, climb, and study the earth with help from her friends, most of which are animals.
Sumario en español: Una niña aprenda caminar, subir, y estudiar la tierra con la ayuda de sus amigos, que la mayoría son animales.
Text in English and Spanish.
Translated from the Japanese.
Oct 28, 2014 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Huge fans of Gomi's Where's the Fish - this one does not disappoint as my daughter loves to name each animal that teaches the little girl something new ("I learned to watch tonight sky from the - owl."). Not too tedious if you're looking for a good bedtime story and you want something quick but substantial.
Jan 12, 2010 Corbin rated it it was amazing
An example of simple elegance in a "children's" book. In my opinion, the best kids books are ones that are elegantly simple enough to inspire one to say, "Hey! I could do that!" This is one of those books.
Christie Suh
This book is bilingual and a little girl learns to do many things from her friends. With each turn of the page the main character is exploring the world, learning to walk, climb, etc. with the help of her friends. Everything she learns to do is described in English and in Spanish.
Crystal Allen
Mar 06, 2008 Crystal Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: board-books
I love Taro Gomi's artwork and this boardbook version is so colorful and features so many different animals that you can go much deeper into it when reading it than just reading the text. "What sound does a gorilla make? What color is that horse?"
Oct 02, 2007 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all kids
Shelves: wrens-favorites
I love this book a little more every time we read it. (Which is saying a lot because it made me tear up the very first time I picked it up...)
The illustrations are both cute and beautiful, and the story can develop as your child ages.
Sep 15, 2008 Vicki rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Vicki by: everyone
This is a great book that offers kids a chance to practice all their animal sounds. A great baby shower gift!
I like that this book has a mixture of beautiful, colorful illustrations and great ideas/messages about friendship. Taro Gomi is a wonderful artist and a great children's book author.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 9464 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.0 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV
Joel Duff
Jul 01, 2014 Joel Duff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute little book but it has a sappy ending that I could see coming a mile away (kidding). The art is top shelf, however, and extra points for beautiful artwork and non-white characters.
Mar 09, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: preschoolers
Shelves: children-s-books
We received this book as a gift for my toddler Cute illustrations and the repetition and characters are great for the preschool set interested in animals.
Sep 09, 2009 Dara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She had friends helping her learn stuff like jumping over stuff. She learns to climb from a monkey and how to run fast from a horse.
Mina Saeed
Oct 20, 2010 Mina Saeed rated it it was amazing
Shelves: community
In this book the little girl tells how she learns so much from friends that are all around her like cats, dogs, monkeys, teachers, etc
Oct 16, 2012 Leah rated it really liked it
This is a book about a girl and her animal friends. As she explores the day she encounters many animals that teach her how to do things. This book is good for 1st graders and younger.
Dec 26, 2015 Lacy rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story of a girl recounting what she's learned from animals, people, and nature friends.

"I learned to read from my friends the books."
Jul 09, 2009 Sheba rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indio
indy loves this book and gets very excited on the page where there is a dog b/c we tell him it's cassius. :)
Susan rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Babysister rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Aparna Dubey
Aparna Dubey rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2014
Michelle rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • On the Farm
  • Suki's Kimono
  • Row, Row, Row Your Boat
  • Animal Masquerade
  • Book Fiesta!: Celebrate Children's Day/Book Day; Celebremos El dia de los ninos/El dia de los libros
  • Castles, Caves, and Honeycombs
  • How to Be a Cat
  • What Can You Do with a Rebozo?
  • My Colors, My World/Mis colores, mi mundo
  • Jazzy in the Jungle
  • Tweak Tweak
  • Ten Little Caterpillars
  • Fox Makes Friends
Taro Gomi is a major children’s illustrator and writer. He has more than 400 book titles to his credit. His work has been widely translated into 15 other languages.

Tarō was born in Tokyo and he graduated from ID department, Kuwazawa Design Institute. His readers range from babies to adults, with an equal number of fans overseas. His work has been appreciated considerably with both domestic and int
More about Taro Gomi...