Fletcher and the Falling Leaves

Fletcher and the Falling Leaves

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  404 ratings  ·  80 reviews

Fletcher is very worried.

Published August 29th 2006 by Greenwillow Books

Leaf Man by Lois EhlertThe Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda WilliamsApples and Pumpkins by Anne F. RockwellFletcher and the Falling Leaves by Julia RawlinsonPumpkin Soup by Helen Cooper
Picture books about Fall
4th out of 50 books — 30 voters
The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck by Beatrix PotterFox by Margaret WildThe Tomten and the Fox by Astrid LindgrenThe Tale of Mr. Tod by Beatrix PotterFour Famished Foxes and Fosdyke by Pamela Duncan Edwards
Picture books about foxes
18th out of 72 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Ronyell
Nov 04, 2010 Ronyell rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ronyell by: The Picture-Book Club
What happens to the leaves on a tree when autumn and winter comes around the corner? Well, that is what we are about to find out! “Fletcher and the Falling Leaves” is a children’s book by Julia Rawlinson along with illustrations by Tiphanie Beek and it is about a young fox named Fletcher who tries to save a tree’s leaves from falling off during autumn and winter. “Fletcher and the Falling Leaves” is a cute story about the beauty of changes in weather that I am sure that many children who are int...more
Kathryn
I LOVE this book!!! It is absolutely beautiful in style as well as sentiment. Fletcher loves his tree, but when autumn comes he begins to fear that something terrible is happening--for the leaves begin to turn color and fall off. Is his tree ill? Mother assures him that it is just the change of the seasons, but Fletcher is still worried for he loves his tree as it is and it's hard to imagine it any other way. Fletcher's sensitivity is commendable, his curiosity and misunderstanding easy to relat...more
Lisa Vegan
Oct 26, 2009 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: every young child and their adults
I was oohing and ahhing all through this book.

I adore the pastel created illustrations; they’re the kind I can see in my mind and would love to be able to create, but can’t get down on paper the way I’d like. They’re beautiful and worth 5 stars all by themselves. The last picture is visually stunning but all the pictures are just as beautiful in their own way.

The story is very sweet. I love Fletcher. What a great character! Fletcher’s attempt to help his tree as it loses its leaves is touching...more
Dolly
Oct 28, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet story and while our girls aren't as naive as Fletcher, this is their first Fall and it will be their first Winter season (in a location that gets cold and snowy, that is!) Having spent the last 8+ years on a tropical island, I can understand how someone who has never seen the fall might be confused. The illustrations are cute and somewhat mottled and in an impressionist kind of style. Our girls loved the last page with the glittery tree and the tactile feel to the page.

This book...more
Brenda
Oct 05, 2010 Brenda rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys beautiful illustrations, stories about Autumn
Recommended to Brenda by: Children's Book group Halloween/Autumn theme
Shelves: picture-books
One in the series of three books about Fletcher the fox finds him trying to help his tree keep its leaves. The gorgeous pastel illustrations compliment the authors writing and really make you feel the season of Autumn. Best of all is the final illustration which really sparkles. I am defiantly going to check out Fletcher and the Snowflake Christmas and Fletcher and the Springtime Blossoms.
Deana
Fletcher, a young fox, is horrified to discover that the leaves of his favorite tree are turning brown. He rushes home to his mother to tell her that something’s wrong with it. Rawlinson treats Fletcher’s fears with a tender compassion that will allow children to sympathize with his fears for his tree. Ostensibly about the change of seasons the central metaphor of this book can extend to changes of all kinds. Beeke’s illustrations are expressive and beautifully match the tone of Rawlinson’s stor...more
Cheryl in CC NV
So sweet. I want to learn the technique of the illustrator, especially in the end-papers. I want Fletcher to be my child, too, or maybe I want every child to have the heart of Fletcher as he frets that his favorite tree must be ill as it's leaves are dying and being lost.
Kathryn
I love little Fletcher. The illustrations are in water color and not what I usually think of for a children's book but the last page is wonderful and such a surprise.
babyhippoface
So quiet, so sweet, so perfect. Love the language, love the imagery. Simply lovely, and just a little bit magical.

Just listen to these lines: "...the soft, swishing sound of summer was fading to a crinkly whisper." "Crinkly whisper." Love that.

"The leaves...tossed and turned and twitched and twirled and tumbled to the ground." That is a most awesome use of alliteration.

The tone reminds me very much of Jim Averbeck's In a Blue Room, which I love with all my heart.

I read this aloud to 4-year-old...more
Adriana Devoy
Fletcher is a little fox who grows frantic when his favorite tree begins losing its leaves. He tries to tie them back on, and panics when a squirrel totes them away. In my favorite illustration, a flock of the bluest of bluebirds swoops down to gather the autumn leaves and "poke" them back onto the tree, much to Fletcher's relief.

This sweet little fox spends all day balanced upon a branch holding onto the last leaf for dear life. Defeated, he delivers it to his den to tuck into bed with him.

Bu...more
Chelsea
Fletcher loves the tree he lives by; he thinks it’s the best thing ever. As it starts getting colder and the summer fades into autumn, he doesn’t understand why it is losing its leaves. He starts getting very worried, and does everything in his like fox power to keep the leaves on the tree. Finally he wakes up one morning to find one last leaf hanging. It may be hard for kids to understand what is happening to the trees when seasons change. This book helps to teach children that seasons change a...more
Tam
David
It's autumn, and Fletcher's favorite tree is slowly changing colors and losing its leaves. Fletcher is very worried.

He tells the tree he'll help. But when the very last leaf falls to the ground, Fletcher feels as though he's let down his friend . . . until the first day of winter, when Fletcher sees that his tree has turned into a shining, glittering surprise. (Goodreads Summary)

Fletcher and the Falling Leaves is a great read for Autumn. It deals with seasons,friendship & the acceptance of...more
Kendra
Different than I expected, for some reason, but I liked the book. And I think I will like it even better the next time I read it. It is about a caring young fox who is concerned that something is wrong with his favorite tree, as leaves turn brown and start to fall off. He tries to save the tree's leaves. It is not humorous, but thoughtful and caring. Beautiful illustrations. Slow moving. Next time we read it I want to emphasize with the kids what a good "friend" the fox was being and how he was...more
Chanelle
This book is great to introduce the season of fall! Fletcher is becoming curious as to why leaves are falling. He becomes sad that leaves are falling and is doing his very best to prevent them falling because he thinks the trees are sick. Fletcher becomes attached to the last leaf left on the tree by preventing it from flying away. He decides to let it go and he goes to bed. When he wakes up it is winter time, and the tree is shimmering with ice and snow.I actually created a bunch of activities...more
Jo
Adorable story with gorgeous illustrations! Fletcher is such a sweet character you can't help but adore him as he tries to save his favourite tree. You will awww your way through the entire story. The illustrations, which are done in a soft pastel style are amazing to look at. I think I gasped out loud when I turned to the last page because it's so brilliantly done and so beautiful. Lovely story about a sweet little fox who tries to do everything he can to save his tree when it starts to change...more
Anna
Fletcher is very worried about his favorite tree. Each day more and more leaves fall off and he thinks it might be sick.

"Don't worry, it's only autumn." says his mother.

Fletcher vows to help keep his tree-friend leafy, even enlisting a flock of birds to help replace the leaves when the wind blows them away. When the last leaf falls off, Fletcher worries that he's let his friend down - until one icy day when he sees the tree in all of her sparkly winter glory.

Tiphanie Beeke's soft, rich watercol...more
jacky
I had to pass a half an hour waiting for my work at Staples to be ready, so I read children's books at Mr. Paperback looking for a special birth day book for Natalie.

Beautiful illustrations! I also love autumn, so this was right up my alley. The story was a cute tale about learning about fall and accepting change. The author characterized Fletcher the fox as very innocent well in such a short text. Very nice touch with the glittery icicles at the end.

There was another one about spring, but I d...more
Samangie
A great story if a little advanced conceptually for my one and two year olds. They loved that I animated all the sounds that the tree makes in the fall along with the wind. I think it made for a more interesting read that way. We also decorated some cardboard leaves with real leaves to assist in telling the story. They've enjoyed it immensely. The story is super cute and at 28 years of age, I, myself, loved little Fletcher's grasp on fall and the 'stealing' of leaves. Super cute and lovable for...more
kelly
I love trees. They are one of my most favorite things.
I love this book. I don't normally love the look of art that is displayed in this book....looks like oil paints and water-color...but it has been very tastefully done, and I actually like it. Normally this type of art would be produced in a very serious manner, but the little fox and the other creatures in the forest are adorable. The innocence...the loyalty...the changing of seasons. This book is warm and cozy and leaves you with hope.
Brynja Carlson
This book was really very sweet and beautiful. The story, the writing and the art were all top notch.

The writing was very artful but it was subtle. Most kids books that contain artful prose are really not written for kids, if you know what I mean (example: Owl Moon, by Jane Yolen). Not so with this book.

The pictures in here are also way beyond what I'd normally expect from a kids' book. Beeke uses mixed media including watercolor, oil, and glitter (yes, glitter).
Katharine
My 5 year old daughter was absolutely enchanted by this story. I started listening to the CD with her passively while tidying up, but stopped and snuggled to listen and enjoy the beautiful illustrations. She giggled at the cute characters, gasped with wonder at the winter tree, and has been playing pretend fox in a den made out of blankets ever since. A book doesn't get much better than that. I've added the other "Fletcher" stories to my list.
Bec
Thanks to Goodreads for this book coming up on my recommendations - is the perfect present for my friends sick little boy called Fletcher - i'm sure he is going to love it!

Book arrived today - big thanks to the guys at booktopia.com.au for tracking this done (and the other fletcher book too) Its a really sweet story and the pictures are 'handdrawn' pastles - very nice - i'm sure little Fletcher is going to love it too
Shelli
A cute story of a sweet and innocent little fox who doesn't understand why his favorite tree is losing all of its leaves. It must be sick! How lonely his tree will be without leaves to keep it company :(. Fletcher tries and tried to reattach some of the leaves for his beloved tree. Fun story that kids will want to read again and again. Maybe make an leaf art project with your kiddos afterward reading?
Janet
A beautifully illustrated story of Fletcher trying to save the leaves of a tree in the fall season. Of course it can't and the story depicts well the leaves vanishing. Best use is one on one with a child or with the first three grades of elementary school. My favorite illustration if of Fletcher sitting around the campfire with his mother and an iron teakettle is hung over the fire.
Peanut
MOMMY: What a sweet story! Ours is titled The Fox and the Falling Leaves but it is the same book. I adore the illustrations. This little fox has never seen fall before and wonders what is happening to his favorite tree.

PEANUT: I believe he also reads this at his preschool. He follows along with the whole story, telling Fletcher that everything will be OK, it's just fall!
Tricia
Fletcher is quickly becoming one of our favorite characters (my 5 year old and me). The author writes about the natural changes in the seasons, showing Fletcher as an empathetic and kind character. In this title, he is worried about tree looking sick as autumn is in full swing, losing leaves and looking starker than Fletcher can bear. Enjoyable as both reader and audience.
Edna
Fletcher is worried that his favorite tree may be sick because it's losing leaves so he desperately tries to save its last leaf by reprimanding other animals not to take the fallen leaves and to help him with his efforts. Not until the end of the book does Fletcher realize the tree is not sick at all. Beautiful soft oil, acrylic and watercolor illustrations.
Dianna
My three-year-old son didn't mind this story (especially since he's into foxes at the moment) and he loved the picture of the sparkly tree. I didn't really like the story at all, I don't know what it was but the little fox going around trying to put the leaves back on the tree just wasn't cute for me. The pictures, however, are completely lovely.
Natalie Heavrin
I am not sure why the title of this book has changed, but I love it regardless! Fletcher is a sweet fox who just wants to help his tree. The story goes through the seasons and what happens to the leaves as they change. It shows that in nature, everything happens for a reason. This is a calming book that works great for a read aloud.
  • Leaf Man
  • The Busy Little Squirrel
  • Fall Mixed Up
  • Time to Sleep
  • Pumpkin Pumpkin
Fletcher and the Springtime Blossoms Fletcher and the Snowflake Christmas Mule School A Surprise for Rosie Fred and the Little Egg