Start by marking “Fletcher and the Falling Leaves” as Want to Read:
Fletcher and the Falling Leaves

Fletcher and the Falling Leaves

It's autumn, and Fletcher's favorite tree is slowly changing colors and losing its leaves.

Fletcher is very worried.

He tells the tree he'll help. But when the very last leaf falls to the ground, Fletcher feels as though he's let down his friend . . .

. . . until the first day of winter, when Fletcher sees that his tree has turned into a shining, glittering surprise.
Published August 29th 2006 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Fletcher and the Falling Leaves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fletcher and the Falling Leaves

Ronyell
Nov 04, 2010 Ronyell rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ronyell by: The Picture-Book Club
What happens to the leaves on a tree when autumn and winter comes around the corner? Well, that is what we are about to find out! “Fletcher and the Falling Leaves” is a children’s book by Julia Rawlinson along with illustrations by Tiphanie Beek and it is about a young fox named Fletcher who tries to save a tree’s leaves from falling off during autumn and winter. “Fletcher and the Falling Leaves” is a cute story about the beauty of changes in weather that I am sure that many children who are int ...more
Kathryn
I LOVE this book!!! It is absolutely beautiful in style as well as sentiment. Fletcher loves his tree, but when autumn comes he begins to fear that something terrible is happening--for the leaves begin to turn color and fall off. Is his tree ill? Mother assures him that it is just the change of the seasons, but Fletcher is still worried for he loves his tree as it is and it's hard to imagine it any other way. Fletcher's sensitivity is commendable, his curiosity and misunderstanding easy to relat ...more
Lisa Vegan
Oct 26, 2009 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: every young child and their adults
I was oohing and ahhing all through this book.

I adore the pastel created illustrations; they’re the kind I can see in my mind and would love to be able to create, but can’t get down on paper the way I’d like. They’re beautiful and worth 5 stars all by themselves. The last picture is visually stunning but all the pictures are just as beautiful in their own way.

The story is very sweet. I love Fletcher. What a great character! Fletcher’s attempt to help his tree as it loses its leaves is touching
Dolly
Oct 28, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet story and while our girls aren't as naive as Fletcher, this is their first Fall and it will be their first Winter season (in a location that gets cold and snowy, that is!) Having spent the last 8+ years on a tropical island, I can understand how someone who has never seen the fall might be confused. The illustrations are cute and somewhat mottled and in an impressionist kind of style. Our girls loved the last page with the glittery tree and the tactile feel to the page.

This book
babyhippoface
So quiet, so sweet, so perfect. Love the language, love the imagery. Simply lovely, and just a little bit magical.

Just listen to these lines: "...the soft, swishing sound of summer was fading to a crinkly whisper." "Crinkly whisper." Love that.

"The leaves...tossed and turned and twitched and twirled and tumbled to the ground." That is a most awesome use of alliteration.

The tone reminds me very much of Jim Averbeck's In a Blue Room, which I love with all my heart.

I read this aloud to 4-year-old
Brenda
Oct 05, 2010 Brenda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys beautiful illustrations, stories about Autumn
Recommended to Brenda by: Children's Book group Halloween/Autumn theme
Shelves: picture-books
One in the series of three books about Fletcher the fox finds him trying to help his tree keep its leaves. The gorgeous pastel illustrations compliment the authors writing and really make you feel the season of Autumn. Best of all is the final illustration which really sparkles. I am defiantly going to check out Fletcher and the Snowflake Christmas and Fletcher and the Springtime Blossoms.
Katie Voss
Nov 01, 2014 Katie Voss rated it it was amazing
Foxes are my favorite animal, and so I'm always glad to find a children's book where a fox is the good character, and not somebody who goes around terrorizing other animals. I read this book to my story time group of 3-6 year-olds, and they loved every bit of it. The boys were insistent the fox was a wolf (of course) but as a whole all the kids were totally engaged. They loved the pictures, and it was easy for them to follow along with the story. It gave them another way to think about the chang ...more
Deana
Oct 08, 2007 Deana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Fletcher, a young fox, is horrified to discover that the leaves of his favorite tree are turning brown. He rushes home to his mother to tell her that something’s wrong with it. Rawlinson treats Fletcher’s fears with a tender compassion that will allow children to sympathize with his fears for his tree. Ostensibly about the change of seasons the central metaphor of this book can extend to changes of all kinds. Beeke’s illustrations are expressive and beautifully match the tone of Rawlinson’s stor ...more
Hannah Givens
Jul 12, 2015 Hannah Givens rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Super cute story with a lot of emotional and visual interest, and I always like it when the fox isn't the villain!
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Adorable illustrations and a cute book teaching young children about fall. Read my FULL REVIEW http://mundiekids.blogspot.com/2015/1...
Kathryn
Sep 12, 2010 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
I love little Fletcher. The illustrations are in water color and not what I usually think of for a children's book but the last page is wonderful and such a surprise.
Baby Bookworm
Nov 22, 2016 Baby Bookworm rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews
Fall Festivities Week, Day 2: Hello, friends! Today, we read Fletcher And The Falling Leaves, written by Julia Rawlinson and illustrated by Tiphanie Beeke, an adorable tale of a fox’s mission to help his favorite tree.

One day, Fletcher the fox cub notices that his favorite tree looks sick: all its leaves have turned brown and orange and look dry. Then the wind begins to blow, and the leaves begin to fall! Fletcher does everything he can to help his tree, but nothing seems to work – the leaves ke
Sierra
Dec 05, 2016 Sierra rated it it was amazing
What happens to the leaves on a tree when autumn and winter comes around the corner? Well, that is what we are about to find out! “Fletcher and the Falling Leaves” is a children’s book and it is about a young fox named Fletcher who tries to save a tree’s leaves from falling off during autumn and winter. “Fletcher and the Falling Leaves” is a cute story about the beauty of changes in weather that I am sure that many children who are interested in knowing what happens to the trees during winter an ...more
Juliana Lee
Fletcher is a little fox who doesn't quite understand what's happening to his favorite tree. His mother said it's just autumn, but when his tree starts losing all its leaves Fletcher tries to reattach them. Then the wind blows all the leaves off and the animals take the leaves for their nests, and all he had left was one little leaf. That night something magical happened and Fletcher woke up to the most beautiful sight he had ever seen.
Vanessa
Nov 14, 2016 Vanessa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teacher-life
My students and I read this book today, and we absolutely adored it! The story was beautiful and the illustrations were stunning.

My students were utterly enthralled with each page and each word.

Such a perfect book for the fall season!

Fletcher and the Falling Leaves is definitely a book that I will read every year to my students!
Robin Raines-Bond
Dec 14, 2016 Robin Raines-Bond rated it really liked it
Love the illustrations, Tiphanie Beeke! Absolutely adorable story about what happens to a tree in the autumn time.
Heather Jo
Oct 22, 2016 Heather Jo rated it really liked it
Shelves: meggie-list
KC
Oct 26, 2016 KC rated it really liked it
Exceptional illustrations. Fletcher discovers fall.
Melissa
Nov 18, 2016 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Perfect. Magical.
Cat
Oct 25, 2016 Cat rated it it was amazing
Sweet story! Must read for fall!
Sarah Smith
Oct 17, 2016 Sarah Smith rated it it was amazing
I am actually writing a review of this picture book because I saw that it was published in Great Britain as "Ferdie and the Falling Leaves," and as an American I am horribly offended that we couldn't be trusted with a fox named Ferdie. The renaming seems unnecessary (just like "Philosopher's Stone", tbh).
Casandria
Oct 14, 2016 Casandria rated it liked it
I've seen similar stories all fall: a young animal worries for his/her tree and tries to tie or glue the leaves back on. Won't someone just explain this to them!
Fall
Foxes
Samantha Brown
Oct 07, 2016 Samantha Brown rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely adorable story about a fox who doesn't understand the seasons and how the leaves fall off of a tree during the fall. This book explains fall and winter a bit to young kids while also telling a cute story about a fox who loves one tree and doesn't want to part with it's leaves.
Mary Parker
This book has beautiful illustrations, and is perfect for those who love animals and nature! It follows the story of Fletcher the fox, who doesn't understand why his favorite tree is losing all of its leaves. So, he attempts to find ways to put them back on the tree, but to no avail. So, what is going to happen to Fletcher's tree?
Dec 30, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: violets-favs
The story and artwork are just gorgeous. Violet says this has been her favorite of our fall reads. Fletcher is a fox embodiment of her. We will have to buy this one for sure.
Stephanie
Dec 27, 2016 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
Have you ever been worried that someone you love wasn't feeling well? If so, you will be able to relate to Fletcher the fox's concern when his favorite tree starts turning brown. His mother assures him that it's only fall, and Fletcher tries to comfort the tree letting it know it will feel better soon. When more leaves start to swirl off the branches Fletcher sets to trying to gather them all up so he can give them back to his friend. Unfortunately, other animals are thrilled with the fallen lea ...more
Thabata
Sep 18, 2016 Thabata rated it it was amazing
You can not dare not to fall in love with this book. Fletcher is a small and cute cub fox, whose best friend is a tree. Their friendship is loyal and enduring. He loves and cares for tree. When the autumn arrives, "the dusty gold" and "crinkly whisper" of the tree leaves makes him worry his tree has grown sick. His mother assures him it is just autumn and everything is all right. But still, Fletcher worries. With heartbreaking innocence, he tries to fence the wind, the squirrel and the porcupine ...more
Melki
Sep 22, 2016 Melki rated it it was amazing
Aww!

This adorable story of a very small fox's desperate attempts to keep the leaves on his favorite tree may put a lump in your throat.

description
Judi
Nov 13, 2016 Judi rated it it was amazing
Definitely a great read for autumn! I absolutely loved this book, and I think it will be one of the all-time favorite picture books.

Fletcher notices changes in his tree. He notices all the leaves change colors and fall off. He goes to his mother and says that there's something wrong with the tree. But she only says for him not to worry, and that it is a natural part of fall.
But more and more leaves fall off, and Fletcher does what he can to prevent it. But eventually, all the leaves fall off an
Adriana Devoy
Mar 15, 2013 Adriana Devoy rated it it was amazing
Fletcher is a little fox who grows frantic when his favorite tree begins losing its leaves. He tries to tie them back on, and panics when a squirrel totes them away. In my favorite illustration, a flock of the bluest of bluebirds swoops down to gather the autumn leaves and "poke" them back onto the tree, much to Fletcher's relief.

This sweet little fox spends all day balanced upon a branch holding onto the last leaf for dear life. Defeated, he delivers it to his den to tuck into bed with him.

Bu
  • Autumn Leaves
  • Pumpkin Moonshine
  • Leaf Jumpers
  • Pumpkin Soup
I grew up in London, close to Richmond Park - a beautiful deer park big enough to get lost in, where I got to know lots of the characters who have since popped up in my stories.

I have always loved writing poetry - I enjoy the sound and rhythm of words and the first things I published were poems. When I had my children I started writing stories for picture books, and my first book, Fred and the Lit
More about Julia Rawlinson...