Start by marking “The Secret Garden (Great Illustrated Classics)” as Want to Read:
The Secret Garden (Great Illustrated Classics)

The Secret Garden (Great Illustrated Classics)

The world's best-loved children's stories set in large type for easy reading.
-- Over 100 illustrations in each book
Published August 22nd 2000 by Playmore Publishers (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Garden

Nicole
May 14, 2011 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every little girl, and any lover of things enchanting
I adore this book.

It's on my "enchanting" bookshelf, which means that it certainly does mean a lot to me.

I remember that as a little girl I always wanted to read it. I would see it at the bookstore, and ask my father for it, and he would say, "No, sugar-pickle, you only want it for the key-necklace that it comes with-you won't read it," while I had full intentions to read it!

Eventually, years later, I remember seeing it at a smaller book store or maybe a department store, and it was the "Great I
Preston
Feb 05, 2015 Preston rated it did not like it
Worst piece of literary fiction I read when i was younger. Its the first and only book I've legitimately fell asleep to while reading. This is an impressive accomplishment of its own due to the fact I'm not that avid of a reader. Reading was never and still is not a large part of my life. However, when I'm forced to read a book for a school, are recommended to read a book by friend, or any other sort of influence...I still put in a decent amount of time and focus to get through it. There are boo ...more
Liz (lizreads)
Jun 14, 2015 Liz (lizreads) rated it it was amazing
I loved this so much. It really took me by surprise.
Asiya Ahmed
Apr 03, 2011 Asiya Ahmed rated it it was amazing
it's a GREAT book!
Paul Lunger
Mar 23, 2014 Paul Lunger rated it it was amazing
Frances Hodgson Burnett's "The Secret Garden" is the story of a little girl who stumbles into a garden by accident with magical powers & things that can cure just about anything. The adaptation by Malvina Vogel in the illustrated classics series does the story great care as we don't lose the magic & wonder of Burnett's original story. Each step of the way in this story is a journey worth taking & it a reason why this book will be beloved for years to come.
Becki Foutz
Feb 08, 2010 Becki Foutz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My mom made me, er, strongly suggested I read, this book when I was a kid. I remember it seemed long at the time, I have no idea how old I was but I think it was before I started school (I started reading when I was three, no joke). I guess it was something she thought would keep me busy. I remember thinking the protagonist was spoiled - it'll be interesting to read as an adult this month for our book club.
Deanna
Jul 27, 2014 Deanna rated it liked it
I won a book basket in a raffle and it had this book in it. Overall it was a good book. Of course this version is adapted for kids....so I'm sure I would have enjoyed it much more as a child since I am currently 20. I didn't find it particularly interesting...but I may pick up the full version one day.
Brynn Hastings
Sep 08, 2014 Brynn Hastings rated it really liked it
The Secret Garden is a classic novel. It may be tough for inexperienced readers because of the word choice but it will help those readers to broaden their vocabulary. It is a deep, entertaining, beautiful novel.
Mary
Oct 11, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it
I read this book to my girls 6/7 yr. old(Illustrated version). We read about a chapter a night and then I got them the movie. It was fun to watch them compare the book to the movie. I've always loved this story.
Kerry
Nov 04, 2015 Kerry rated it really liked it
Lacey (8yo) and I read this together. She absolutely LOVED it. Every night she was mad when I said we needed to stop. I didn't love it quite as much as she did, but I definitely loved reading it with her!
Arvesa Osmani
Oct 14, 2013 Arvesa Osmani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book 2 years ago and I love it very much.I was so confused about the noises at night until Colin was discovered also it was just like a magical moment when the key fits in the door...!
Lilly C.
Mar 08, 2015 Lilly C. rated it really liked it
Great and easy read! Very short story, but very powerful! I would definitely recommend this book to any 4-6 grader to read!
Jessie
Aug 16, 2010 Jessie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: england
I haven't read very many classics but the ones that I have are all fabulous!
Ahni
Jul 05, 2016 Ahni rated it liked it
A care free, loving, hopeful, and free book.
Jill
Jul 03, 2008 Jill rated it really liked it
Sadie and I read this together. She LOVES these kinds of books so I just played along.....
Ceriana L
Apr 23, 2015 Ceriana L rated it liked it
Shelves: read-by-c
I think that the characters look creepy
Keira Lanfranco
Jan 23, 2016 Keira Lanfranco rated it it was amazing
I thought it was very interesting.
I especially liked the part when the robin lead mary to the the garden.
Petra
Mar 19, 2011 Petra rated it liked it
Egy nehezebbett kiprobaltam volna.
Erica
Jul 04, 2014 Erica rated it liked it
Read this to my daughter - we enjoyed reading it!
Kara Larson
Jan 31, 2014 Kara Larson rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, children
I don't think I'd ever read this book prior to this read with Kate, but it was great. I want to read the full version now.
Sanz
May 19, 2014 Sanz rated it really liked it
Read aloud to my 7, 5, and 3, year old sons.

"It was awesome!" --7 year old

"It was fun. I liked when Collin got out of his wheelchair...finally." --5 year old.
Winter Sophia Rose
Aug 05, 2014 Winter Sophia Rose rated it it was amazing
Excellent Illustrated Classic!
Jeanne Edwards
Jul 29, 2014 Jeanne Edwards rated it it was amazing
Read it as an adult and loved it!
Zac Case
Sep 28, 2007 Zac Case rated it liked it
Shelves: readtokids
Good.
shelby
Jan 06, 2013 shelby rated it it was amazing
it was very different than i had expected
Lenka
Aug 22, 2014 Gwenlovesbooks rated it it was amazing
Awesome I loved it
Abigail
May 10, 2015 Abigail rated it it was amazing
Good
Laura Neff
Feb 08, 2010 Laura Neff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A favorite, favorite, favorite from childhood! I wished I'd found that garden. What a magical moment when the key fits in the door, and when Colin is discovered...!
  • The Swiss Family Robinson (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Jungle Book (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Time Machine (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Black Beauty (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Little Women
  • A Tale of Two Cities
  • The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Grimm's Fairy Tales (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Why Don't You Get a Horse, Sam Adams?
  • Really Truly Ruthie (American Girls: Kit)
  • The Man in the Iron Mask (Great Illustrated Classics)