Start by marking “David Copperfield” as Want to Read:
David Copperfield

David Copperfield

One of Dickens's best-loved and most personal novels, David Copperfield is the embodiment of Dickens's own boyhood experience recalling his employment as a child in a London warehouse.

Published 1992 by Baronet (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about David Copperfield, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about David Copperfield

Feb 22, 2015 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literary, 2015
I ordered David Copperfield on the internet, but received this kid's edition. I read Bleak House instead, on my Kindle, but found it very difficult. A Goodreads friend suggested reading some notes on David Copperfield or seeing the movie before I read it. I read this kid's book, following his advice. I plan to read the full version some day. I received the full version for Christmas.

This story is intense, and moves you deeply with David's constant struggles. You feel like you know the character
Leslie Anne ☆
Jun 16, 2014 Leslie Anne ☆ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The very first book I'd read. ...more
Apr 23, 2012 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a huge fan of classic literature other than the Bible, but I have heard that Charles Dickens' writing is quite wordy and hard to understand. In fact, my senior high school English teacher refused to do a unit on Mr. Dickens; she claimed that he was "the devil" and "paid by the word." Still, his ability to spin a good story is still felt today, with many celluloid adaptations of A Tale of Two Cities and especially A Christmas Carol in recent years. David Copperfield, called "the tragic wa ...more
Feb 19, 2011 Mar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is totally awesome......
I learned many lessons from this book one is to work hard in your life to pursue your dreams.....
-mAjHyX _.....
Daniil Minchuk
David Copperfield is a great and interesting book to read, if one is the age of twelve. The vocabulary and plot is too simple for someone who is looking for a book that will teach them something. It is a rewrite of the original David Copperfield made for a younger audience that cannot understand a sophisticated writing style. If one is to read this book I would recommend that they check out the original by Charles Dickens, which has the whole plot and isn't cut off. Over all the book is still go ...more
Laci Atkinson
Aug 22, 2015 Laci Atkinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so addicted to classics lately. I love Dickens characters. They are so creative, so unique, intriguing. In each character you seem to find traits of someone you know. I wish I had started reading these jewels long before now. I started after a binge with BBC shows, and realized that if the show was great, the books must be amazing. This particular version was one that I could read along with my ten year old daughter. The great part is that after reading this abridged version, we plan to sta ...more
Agus Cuello
Para empezar me costo bastante terminar este libro, iba ñor la mitad y sentia que no terminaba.La historia no avanzaba ,prefiero decir que no lo entendi a decir que este libro es malo,porque ciertamente no lo es. Su trama es buena al comienzo me parecio interesante, pero luego comenzo a ser lo de siempre.
Con los personajes fue algo bastante variado, por momentos david me caia bien pero por otros daba ganas de decirle abri los ojos. Pero si hay un personaje totalmente irritante esa fue dora y sie
Wessel van der Merwe
Interesting life - many twists and turns. He did not have much of an extended family but had enough sense as a child to pursue someone to help him when his parents died. In a sense it is a early success story set in England with somebody pursuing not so much a specific goal but rather a good and a right life i.e. doing things right morally with a good ending. Very good book for children.
Jan 20, 2016 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Children's edition. I suppose it is basically a plot outline. Still lots of characters to keep straight. Our library has a collection of these books which I should have read by now but haven't and don't want to take the time to read, so it is a New Year's resolution to read the illustrated classics version. It is said that this book is basically Charles Dickens's autobiography. David Copperfield is born in early 1820 England. His mother remarries and David is sent to boarding school. He becomes ...more
Oct 03, 2013 David rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Abbreviated illustrated versions of classics can sometimes work, but this one definitely does not. I doubt that's the fault of the adapter. This adaptation is about 1/20 the length of the original and it shows. I read this a few months ago, but my recollection is that the story is reduced to a haphazard series of (generally boring) events, with little to no reason to care about the story or any of the characters. My two oldest boys are 9.5 and 7. I expect Dickens to be a tough sell to them in an ...more
Apr 08, 2016 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit random at times making it a little confusing. Overall story was interesting.
Feb 06, 2015 May rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-love
it was really upsetting to hear what david was going through and what he had to suffer
Feb 14, 2015 Kubilay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
İt is a classic book. İt isn't boring. Good thing is it is short and easy.İt is about bad life of David. His father died before his born. His mother will marry with one man. His step dad don't love to him. He says ' David is stupid' every time. When his sister born. he must leave home. And his adventure starts.
Feb 15, 2016 F. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eventhough i don't have this version and i have it from a different publisher, i really enjoyed the 100 pages .
Mohamed Youssef
Apr 23, 2016 Mohamed Youssef rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very good
Sep 08, 2008 Kendall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
dickens does what he does best in this book: creates a multitude of characters that are so rich that they become almost tangible. hundreds of threads are interwoven and build a plot that is only predictable in the sense that what happens feels utterly natural and like it could not have possibly happened any other way. virginia woolf was correct in saying that david copperfield is "the most perfect of all the dickens novels."
Jennifer Marie
Nov 05, 2008 Jennifer Marie rated it it was amazing
I've read the full version and I've read the children's version and I had a craving to read it again, however I didn't feel like reading the 1000+ page original version (which I own a copy of and will randomly at times pick up and just read passages :D) so I got the children's version to read again.
Alisse Metge
A good plot summary, but with the soul of Dickens' writing removed-- I hope to read the real one once my son is not requiring constant vigilance to be kept from destroying the house. (I haven't gotten any substantial reading done since he started walking two months ago!)
4 stars ... I really liked it ... I just wanted to read it for a long period of time ... and I like it

I really like the 19 century and any thing British ..
I like how men treat women >> I like every thing related to Charles Dickens
Dec 11, 2014 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the hope and struggles in this book. I love getting an idea of what David copperfield saw around him in the 1800's. He passed away when only 58 years old. Parker really enjoyed the book, too.
Apr 14, 2008 Ginger rated it liked it
I read this to my eight year old and he liked it. Lots of lawyers, and he did have trouble keeping the characters straight. We are going to watch a movie version now.
Sep 23, 2012 Mahima rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked this take on David's topsy turvy life and gave an insight as to how many hardships he has faced his life. A honest effort with good results.
Lee Strickling
Oct 21, 2012 Lee Strickling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First big book ever read started my compulsion to read forever
Reading to my 6 and 9 year old and they love it. My favorite Dickens.
Steven Magdy
Apr 18, 2013 Steven Magdy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of ma favorite Novels i've ever read through ma life ..
Bodoor AlHaddad
Feb 07, 2012 Bodoor AlHaddad rated it really liked it
My first time reading a novel!
A GREAT STORY yo begin with!
Evan vese
Feb 02, 2010 Evan vese rated it really liked it
Shelves: evan-s-shelf
Nothing yet............
Nicolás Hernandez Rueda
Apr 23, 2014 Nicolás Hernandez Rueda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: great
One masterpiece
Dec 08, 2012 Amjed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: special-books, rafi
Reading the Classics: David Copperfield Chapters 41-48 6 59 Dec 24, 2012 08:37AM
  • A Tale of Two Cities
  • Great Expectations (Illustrated Classics.)
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
  • The Mutiny on Board HMS Bounty (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Prince and the Pauper (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Call of the Wild (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Last of the Mohicans (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Pride and Prejudice (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table
  • Little Women (Great Illustrated Classics)
  •  ألغاز إدجار آلان بو
  • A Journey to the Center of the Earth (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Grimm's Fairy Tales (Great Illustrated Classics)