Start by marking “David Copperfield” as Want to Read:
David Copperfield

David Copperfield

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  418 ratings  ·  22 reviews
In a specially adapted version for young readers.

Orphaned at a young age and abandoned by a cruel stepfather, David Copperfield struggles to make a life for himself. Follow him through the unhappiness and brutality of his childhood...the friendships he makes in his teen years...the pressure of starting out on a career...the betrayal by a boyhood friend...the treachery of a
Published 1992 by Baronet (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about David Copperfield, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about David Copperfield

Jerry
I'm not a huge fan of classic literature other than the Bible, but I have heard that Charles Dickens' writing is quite wordy and hard to understand. In fact, my senior high school English teacher refused to do a unit on Mr. Dickens; she claimed that he was "the devil" and "paid by the word." Still, his ability to spin a good story is still felt today, with many celluloid adaptations of A Tale of Two Cities and especially A Christmas Carol in recent years. David Copperfield, called "the tragic wa ...more
Rie
This book is totally awesome......
I learned many lessons from this book one is to work hard in your life to pursue your dreams.....
-mAjHyX _.....
Daniil Minchuk
David Copperfield is a great and interesting book to read, if one is the age of twelve. The vocabulary and plot is too simple for someone who is looking for a book that will teach them something. It is a rewrite of the original David Copperfield made for a younger audience that cannot understand a sophisticated writing style. If one is to read this book I would recommend that they check out the original by Charles Dickens, which has the whole plot and isn't cut off. Over all the book is still go ...more
Wessel van der Merwe
Interesting life - many twists and turns. He did not have much of an extended family but had enough sense as a child to pursue someone to help him when his parents died. In a sense it is a early success story set in England with somebody pursuing not so much a specific goal but rather a good and a right life i.e. doing things right morally with a good ending. Very good book for children.
Angela
I love the hope and struggles in this book. I love getting an idea of what David copperfield saw around him in the 1800's. He passed away when only 58 years old. Parker really enjoyed the book, too.
David
Abbreviated illustrated versions of classics can sometimes work, but this one definitely does not. I doubt that's the fault of the adapter. This adaptation is about 1/20 the length of the original and it shows. I read this a few months ago, but my recollection is that the story is reduced to a haphazard series of (generally boring) events, with little to no reason to care about the story or any of the characters. My two oldest boys are 9.5 and 7. I expect Dickens to be a tough sell to them in an ...more
May
it was really upsetting to hear what david was going through and what he had to suffer
Mert Kubilay
İt is a classic book. İt isn't boring. Good thing is it is short and easy.İt is about bad life of David. His father died before his born. His mother will marry with one man. His step dad don't love to him. He says ' David is stupid' every time. When his sister born. he must leave home. And his adventure starts.
Leslie Anne ☆
The very first book I'd read. ...more
Kendall
dickens does what he does best in this book: creates a multitude of characters that are so rich that they become almost tangible. hundreds of threads are interwoven and build a plot that is only predictable in the sense that what happens feels utterly natural and like it could not have possibly happened any other way. virginia woolf was correct in saying that david copperfield is "the most perfect of all the dickens novels."
Jennifer Marie
I've read the full version and I've read the children's version and I had a craving to read it again, however I didn't feel like reading the 1000+ page original version (which I own a copy of and will randomly at times pick up and just read passages :D) so I got the children's version to read again.
Alisse Metge
A good plot summary, but with the soul of Dickens' writing removed-- I hope to read the real one once my son is not requiring constant vigilance to be kept from destroying the house. (I haven't gotten any substantial reading done since he started walking two months ago!)
Tasneem
4 stars ... I really liked it ... I just wanted to read it for a long period of time ... and I like it

I really like the 19 century and any thing British ..
I like how men treat women >> I like every thing related to Charles Dickens
Ginger
I read this to my eight year old and he liked it. Lots of lawyers, and he did have trouble keeping the characters straight. We are going to watch a movie version now.
Mahima
Really liked this take on David's topsy turvy life and gave an insight as to how many hardships he has faced his life. A honest effort with good results.
Lee Strickling
First big book ever read started my compulsion to read forever
Jessica
Reading to my 6 and 9 year old and they love it. My favorite Dickens.
Steven Magdy
One of ma favorite Novels i've ever read through ma life ..
Bodoor AlHaddad
My first time reading a novel!
A GREAT STORY yo begin with!
Evan vese
Nothing yet............
Cws
Feb 09, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: jar-fiction
JAR5-ICD
Ebj
Ebj marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Amanda Gronemeyer
Amanda Gronemeyer marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Reading the Classics: David Copperfield Chapters 33-40 10 76 Nov 06, 2013 05:20AM
Reading the Classics: David Copperfield Chapters 41-48 6 59 Dec 24, 2012 08:37AM
  • Oliver Twist
  • Great Expectations (Illustrated Classics.)
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
  • The Mutiny on Board HMS Bounty (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Prince and the Pauper (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Little Women (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • A Journey to the Center of the Earth (Great Illustrated Classics)
  •  ألغاز إدجار آلان بو
  • King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table
  • The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Swiss Family Robinson (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Dracula (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Grimm's Fairy Tales (Great Illustrated Classics)
Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Hound of the Baskervilles (Illustrated Classic Editions) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Great Illustrated Classics) The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe (Great Illustrated Classics) The Secret Garden (Great Illustrated Classics) Frankenstein