Start by marking “Around Africa on My Bicycle” as Want to Read:
Around Africa on My Bicycle

Around Africa on My Bicycle

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  17 reviews

It took him two years, two months and fifteen days. He rode 36 500 kilometres through 34 different countries.

In Around Africa on my Bicycle Manser tells the story of this epic journey. It is a story of blood, sweat, toil and tears. It is a story of triumph and occasional d
Published September 1st 2010 by Jonathan Ball Publishers (first published July 27th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Around Africa on My Bicycle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Around Africa on My Bicycle

At 700 pages this was possibly the longest of the books I've read. It was at times gripping, but at other times deeply frustrating, so it is hard to know if my rating is too generous or too mean. The book's plot - or storyline rather - was obviously decided by the nature of the journey itself. Riaan was single-minded in ensuring the integrity of the trip by making sure he cycled through every metre of the coastal countries of Africa as far as humanly possible, despite many logistical and bureauc ...more
Maybe I have read this book several years too late, but I just did not enjoy it very much!
It was too long, and I had to force myself to complete the second half. When I finally did get to the end, I was very disappointed in there being no real description of Riaan Manser's long-awaited homecoming, and in the lack of a his final thoughts on the meaning and value of his two year trip. The end of the book felt rushed - as if both author and reader couldn't wait to get it over with!
I was also put
This book is fascinating but really, would some REAL editor please EDIT IT before they run the next round? There are over-used cliches galore, misspellings, and all sorts of bad (or no) punctuation. It was REALLY distracting. I think someone could make a really good drinking game out of just the number of times he uses the phrase "the penny dropped".

The author is also just a little bit too high & mighty and holier-than-thou for my liking. There's kind of a patronising goody-two-shoes in his
Tremendous adventure of a lifetime bicycling around the coast of Africa from South Africa all the way up the west coast and all the way back down the east during a pretty tumultuous time. Takes some guts and determination, not to mention resources and creativity, to make an adventure like this happen. Quite an interesting read and would've been fun to be in the sidecar for this.

Also cool to think that even up to the present day there are still original, harrowing and memorable and worthwhile adv
The back flap reads:

“In a world first, almost incredibly, Riaan Manser rode a bicycle right around the continent of Africa. It took him two years, two months and fifteen days. He rode 36,500 km (22,500 miles) through 34 different countries.

In [this book] Manser tells the story of this epic journey. It is a story of blood sweat, toil and tears. It is a story of triumph and occasional disaster. Of nights out under the stars, of searing heat and rain, of endless miles of Africa and of pressing on a

This book was a great read. It struck the correct chord so to speak, as it was written at exactly the level I was expecting. The book portrays realistically the daily struggles encountered, fearful and dangerous situations and to a degree the amount of determination required. I say to a degree as I think it was under-played in typical humble Riaan Manser style.
Two things I think that were missing - a more detailed map to give a better idea of distances between stops and the degree of back tracki
Like other reviewers, I slogged through til the somewhat tedious end that might not have been as bad had the book had a proper editor. It also needed maps especially at the beginning of the chapters just to visualize the distances and backtracking. I did enjoy the stories that kept repeating themselves- people's generosity to a stranger and the problems set up of officialdom. I know I hate borders and the anxiety-producing situations even though I'm allowed in their country.

Trying to find out w
I enjoyed reading about the different countries within one continent, his perseverance to meet his goal and the kindness of strangers he met along the way.
I started this more because I felt I should than anything else. I was pleasantly surprised as it turned out to be a better read than I expected. That said, I was relieved to finally get to the end of it although I can't really think why.
An interesting and colloquially written book, by an ordinary man who chose to do something extra-ordinary. His trip exposed him to a lifetime's worth of experiences - from the painful, dangerous and scary to the wildly joyful, and reading his story makes it clear that a person can choose to live an exceptional life.
Heino Colyn
An interesting documentation of this great achievement and you learn quite a few things about Africa while cycling with Riaan. Unfortunately it was written almost like a journal and due to the writing itself (or perhaps too little editing) I felt like I had enough about 200 pages before the end.
Great book. An awesome insight into the humanity of africa and the determination of a the author to circumnavigate the whole african continent. Inspiring stuff!
Recato Cristiano
One awesome read for someone interested in geography, travel and learning more about the continent we live on.

Some funny moments. And great photos.
unbelievable achievement - reading it did get a bit tedious though after about the 20th coountry
Izelle Swart
The book was about the bike ride and did unfortunately not bring Africa alive for me.
Awesome! Read this book:-)
Janine marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Samer Lawand
Samer Lawand marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Marc Jason
Marc Jason marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
badattitude marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Paul Nickson
Paul Nickson marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
  • My Mercedes is Not for Sale: From Amsterdam to Ouagadougou...An Auto-Misadventure Across the Sahara
  • The Man Who Cycled the Americas
  • The Bar Mitzvah and the Beast: One Family's Cross-Country Ride of Passage by Bike
  • On Foot Through Africa