Around Africa on My Bicycle

Around Africa on My Bicycle

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  13 reviews
IN A WORLD FIRST, ALMOST INCREDIBLY, RIAAN MANSER RODE A BICYCLE RIGHT AROUND THE CONTINENT OF AFRICA.

It took him two years, two months and fifteen days. He rode 36 500 kilometres through 34 different countries.

In Around Africa on my Bicycle Manser tells the story of this epic journey. It is a story of blood, sweat, toil and tears. It is a story of triumph and occasional d...more
Published September 1st 2010 by Jonathan Ball Publishers (first published July 27th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Around Africa on My Bicycle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Around Africa on My Bicycle

Klara
Maybe I have read this book several years too late, but I just did not enjoy it very much!
It was too long, and I had to force myself to complete the second half. When I finally did get to the end, I was very disappointed in there being no real description of Riaan Manser's long-awaited homecoming, and in the lack of a his final thoughts on the meaning and value of his two year trip. The end of the book felt rushed - as if both author and reader couldn't wait to get it over with!
I was also put...more
Jill
This book is fascinating but really, would some REAL editor please EDIT IT before they run the next round? There are over-used cliches galore, misspellings, and all sorts of bad (or no) punctuation. It was REALLY distracting. I think someone could make a really good drinking game out of just the number of times he uses the phrase "the penny dropped".

The author is also just a little bit too high & mighty and holier-than-thou for my liking. There's kind of a patronising goody-two-shoes in his...more
Kyria
The back flap reads:

“In a world first, almost incredibly, Riaan Manser rode a bicycle right around the continent of Africa. It took him two years, two months and fifteen days. He rode 36,500 km (22,500 miles) through 34 different countries.

In [this book] Manser tells the story of this epic journey. It is a story of blood sweat, toil and tears. It is a story of triumph and occasional disaster. Of nights out under the stars, of searing heat and rain, of endless miles of Africa and of pressing on a...more
Sean

This book was a great read. It struck the correct chord so to speak, as it was written at exactly the level I was expecting. The book portrays realistically the daily struggles encountered, fearful and dangerous situations and to a degree the amount of determination required. I say to a degree as I think it was under-played in typical humble Riaan Manser style.
Two things I think that were missing - a more detailed map to give a better idea of distances between stops and the degree of back tracki...more
Christine
Like other reviewers, I slogged through til the somewhat tedious end that might not have been as bad had the book had a proper editor. It also needed maps especially at the beginning of the chapters just to visualize the distances and backtracking. I did enjoy the stories that kept repeating themselves- people's generosity to a stranger and the problems set up of officialdom. I know I hate borders and the anxiety-producing situations even though I'm allowed in their country.

Trying to find out w...more
Angela
I enjoyed reading about the different countries within one continent, his perseverance to meet his goal and the kindness of strangers he met along the way.
Ian
An interesting and colloquially written book, by an ordinary man who chose to do something extra-ordinary. His trip exposed him to a lifetime's worth of experiences - from the painful, dangerous and scary to the wildly joyful, and reading his story makes it clear that a person can choose to live an exceptional life.
Heino Colyn
An interesting documentation of this great achievement and you learn quite a few things about Africa while cycling with Riaan. Unfortunately it was written almost like a journal and due to the writing itself (or perhaps too little editing) I felt like I had enough about 200 pages before the end.
Mark
Great book. An awesome insight into the humanity of africa and the determination of a the author to circumnavigate the whole african continent. Inspiring stuff!
Recato Cristiano
One awesome read for someone interested in geography, travel and learning more about the continent we live on.

Some funny moments. And great photos.
Gary
unbelievable achievement - reading it did get a bit tedious though after about the 20th coountry
Izelle Swart
The book was about the bike ride and did unfortunately not bring Africa alive for me.
Robyn
Awesome! Read this book:-)
Catherine Onyemelukwe
Catherine Onyemelukwe marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Cristina Rusu
Cristina Rusu marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Mattster
Mattster is currently reading it
Jul 29, 2014
Bungchiwow
Bungchiwow marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Mostafa Sharaf
Mostafa Sharaf is currently reading it
Jul 10, 2014
Alexandria
Alexandria marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014