The Dickens Dictionary: An A-Z of Britain's Greatest Novelist

The Dickens Dictionary: An A-Z of Britain's Greatest Novelist

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  12 ratings  ·  5 reviews
For fans old and new, this is a fascinating tour through Charles Dickens's novels in the hands of a master critic and interpreter of his work. Oliver Twist ... Great Expectations ... David Copperfield - all contain riotous fictional worlds that still live and breathe for readers today. But how much do we really know about the dazzling imagination that brought this all into...more
Published February 1st 2012 by Icon Books (first published January 1st 2012)

Rebecca Foster
Here John Sutherland takes what he does best – an erudite approach to Victorian literary trivia – and applies it to Dickens’s life and oeuvre to create a delightful book of facts. He gets away with the A-Z gimmick by choosing outrageously unexpected headings such as “Bastards,” “Child Abuse,” “Dead Babies,” and “Sausages.”

Some of my favorite revelations were about Dickens’s pets: he hated cats generally but happened to acquire a deaf stray he named Bob, who became such a beloved member of the fa...more
Jo at Jaffareadstoo
Since 2012 has been the bicentenary of the birth of Charles Dickens, I hoped that reading this book would prove to be a good aide mémoire, and I think that it certainly lived up to my expectations. On the whole, I enjoy reading Dickens but don't always know where his references come from, so to have a book of Dickens information on hand whilst I was reading Bleak House was particularly useful.

I think if you are a Dickens purist then this book might be filled with information you already know wel...more
Lisa
It is rare to find a non-fiction book that is written with a light touch and in a humorous manner. John Sutherland has achieved this with his hugely enjoyable dictionary of Dickens. This is my favourite book about Dickens!

Here you will learn about the origins of his characters, his travels, and the scandals that revolved around him. You will also find out some things that you probably don't want to know, for example, that Dickens was deeply prejudiced against Catholicism.

Some parts of this book...more
Nicki Markus
Now, I'll confess, I've never been a huge Dickens fan. Hardy, yes; Dickens, no. But I was interested to see what this dictionary of his work would have to offer.

I have read all of Dickens books at least once, so I had no trouble following the references and there were a few facts that I found fun and intriguing. But, I finished this book wondering what the point of it was as it really didn't offer anything that illuminating or important.

In conclusion, I would say that this is a fun addition to t...more
Sue
I really enjoyed theThe Dickens Dictionary_. It's very informative as well as very user-friendly. John Sutherland's wit and enthusiasm for Dickens are apparent and welcome. It would make an ideal addition to a beginning or casual Dickens readers library, an expert might not find it as useful, but might be entertained.
Bob
Bob marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Penny
Penny marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Naz
Naz marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Emily Barton
Emily Barton marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Keri
Keri marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2013
Courtney Williams
Courtney Williams marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2013
Gayle Robertson
Gayle Robertson marked it as to-read
May 22, 2013
Isabel
Isabel marked it as to-read
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Begotxu
Begotxu marked it as to-read
Yani. S
Yani. S marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2013
Cargada de Libros
Cargada de Libros marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2013
Fran
Fran marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2013
Edel
Edel marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2013
· — — —
· — — — marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2012
Moira Russell
Moira Russell marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2012
John Andrew Sutherland is an English lecturer, emeritus professor, newspaper columnist and author.

Now Emeritus Lord Northcliffe Professor of Modern English Literature at University College London, John Sutherland began his academic career after graduating from the University of Leicester as an assistant lecturer in Edinburgh in 1964. He specialises in Victorian fiction, 20th century literature, an...more
More about John Sutherland...
How to Read a Novel: A User's Guide Curiosities of Literature Is Heathcliff a Murderer?: Great Puzzles in Nineteenth-Century Fiction A Little History of Literature Can Jane Eyre Be Happy?: More Puzzles in Classic Fiction