Start by marking “The True Story of My Life” as Want to Read:
The True Story of My Life

The True Story of My Life

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  75 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The translated autobiography of one of the greatest children's writers that has ever lived: Hans Christian Andersen. Anderson is most famous for his versions of classic fairytales, such as The Little Mermaid, The Ugly Duckling, Thumbelina and The Snow Queen.
Published June 22nd 2012 by Auk Academic (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The True Story of My Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The True Story of My Life

lavinia
Jun 22, 2015 lavinia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: selfies
It's hard to believe you're reading a selfie here. It's more like you're in one of his stories. Beautifully written, I was completely absorbed first into 19th century Odense when HCA lived a beautiful childhood, and then through some of his travels.

I would love to re-read his stories, this time with the eyes of an adult, I hope I won't forget :)
Clive Johnson
Apr 16, 2016 Clive Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting insight into the life of the great author and social misfit. Hans Christian Andersen's biography helps to shed light on the inspiration for some of his fairy stories, as well as revealing his complicated and fragile personality. A useful companion for readers of his many works.
Kristina Wojtaszek
Jan 27, 2014 Kristina Wojtaszek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies
Andersen's amiable and highly sensitive personality comes through clearly and almost painfully in this autobiography, and the entire section covering his childhood and early adolescence, including his incredibly brave journey from home, is completely engaging. I loved some of the little details, such as how his father once saw the figure of a woman in the frosted glass and said she had come to take him, and later, when his father died, Hans's mother told him the ice maiden had taken him at last. ...more
Emily Ekstrand-brummer
super boring, even for me. super self-centered, not much about his fairytales or scandinavian literature.
Katherine Holmes
I'd gotten an edition of this from the 1800s, probably the First American edition, for my used books store. When it sold, I had to read it before sending it. Luckily it took the customer a few days to pay because I was entranced.

Hans Christian's Andersen's life was a fairytale. The son of a shoemaker and the grandson of a comic actor, he wanted an education and the chance to do the stage from childhood. This lead to poverty in Copenhagen while he sang and danced, a benefactor who obtained funds
Christy Olesen
Mar 06, 2012 Christy Olesen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very interesting. HC Andersen really started with nothing, traveling to Copenhagen when he was only 14, without much schooling, acting on his dream to be an actor and a poet in the early 1800s. My only complaint is that the book was written when he was in his 40s and he live to his 70s. But it contained all the struggles he went through until he was recognized as the talent he was. Technically, and I've found this with other ebooks, some of the special characters didn't come across ...more
Brit
Nov 25, 2015 Brit rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was interesting to read this autobiography of H. C. Andersen. I enjoyed the early years most. In many ways he could have been a character in his own fairy tales and maybe he was. Once he became recognized, he met many well known people. The book reads like a who is who of the 19th century.
San San
Dec 01, 2014 San San rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Tự nhiên mấy hôm trước lôi ra cuốn này. Cùng với truyện cổ Grim nữa. Chả nhớ đã đọc nó từ bao giờ, có lẽ là hồi lớp 3, 4 gì đấy. Hồi ấy, chỉ có 2 cuốn này, ngày nào cũng đọc 1 câu chuyện nhỏ. Đây là tuổi thơ, là ước mơ, là món quà quý giá nhất của mình chứ không còn là cuốn truyện nữa. Có lẽ, cũng chính vì nó nên mới dưỡng ra cái cô gái hay mơ mộng trong 1 quãng thời gian dài nào đó ;(.
Giờ thật ra, lại muốn được mơ mộng như thế, được đắm chìm trong thế giới đầy phép mầu nhiệm như thế. Cuộc sống
Lavinia Petrache

Valerie
Nov 12, 2014 Valerie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2014
I was bored throughout most of this book, which surprised me because I enjoy Hans Christian Andersen's stories. This book really dragged for me.
Stephanie
Nov 16, 2014 Stephanie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academic, travel
decent
Rifat Sanjida
Rifat Sanjida marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Anh
Anh rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Bruce Jones
Bruce Jones rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2016
Rebekah Grace
Rebekah Grace rated it it was ok
Jun 20, 2016
Shally Ortiz
Shally Ortiz is currently reading it
Jun 16, 2016
Elizabeth Hoffman
Elizabeth Hoffman marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Alexander Xavier
Alexander Xavier rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2016
Ruisi
Ruisi added it
May 30, 2016
Sarah Jane
Sarah Jane marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Hdung
Hdung rated it really liked it
May 10, 2016
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Bethany Mitchell
Bethany Mitchell rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Barbara
Barbara rated it did not like it
Apr 16, 2016
Lulu Little Tiny
Lulu Little Tiny marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Ariel
Ariel rated it it was ok
Mar 21, 2016
Vu K
Vu K rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2016
Elizabeth Balentine
Elizabeth Balentine marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Hans Christian Andersen (often referred to in Scandinavia as H. C. Andersen; April 2, 1805 – August 4, 1875) was a Danish author and poet. Although a prolific writer of plays, travelogues, novels, and poems, Andersen is best remembered for his fairy tales. Andersen's popularity is not limited to children; his stories—called eventyr, or "fairy-tales"—express themes that transcend age and nationalit ...more
More about Hans Christian Andersen...