Start by marking “The Great Boer War” as Want to Read:
The Great Boer War

The Great Boer War

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  7 reviews
While most people remember Sir Arthur Conan Doyle for his 'Sherlock Holmes' stories, he actually wanted more to be a journalistic and historical writer. This is one of his works in that vein, documenting the events of the Boer War, which had yet to end at the time of writing.
Published June 1st 2012 by Auk Academic (first published 1900)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Boer War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Boer War

Mike
An attempt to give an objective evaluation of the war. Not entirely possible from CD's standpoint of class and the fact that he was a doctor for part of the war in Blomfontein but relatively interesting. Not as scholarly a work as Pakenham's 'The Boer War' but if you wish to know what battalion was engaged in a minor skirmish in the latter stages of the conflict then the chances are they get a mention in this work. CD interviewed hundreds of soldiers during and shortly after the war so even if s...more
Nathan
This is straight military history - written during and immediately afterwards. The first 3 chapters, which talk about the buildup to war, were interesting enough. I would have liked more about the pre-war history.

I'm not a fan of descriptions of the mechanics of war - When I read Gibbon's Decline & Fall of the Roman Empire, I chose the military abridged version - so I may or may not finish this book.

- - -

I finished this, more due to perseverance than interest. There are about 40 pages dea...more
Lenp
Feb 09, 2014 Lenp marked it as started-but-now-on-hold  ·  review of another edition
I was hoping for more of a bird's eye view of the war. The detailed descriptions of each skirmish have become tedious, and I seem to have lost interest in continuing to read this book. Maybe I will come back to it in a while - I would like to read about the latter stages of the war.
وسام الدين محمد
Very interesting book about the history of colonial south Africa and the rising and decline of Boer people. The most amazing is the absence of the local people in this conflict ion of imperial and colonial European powers.
It is a good book if you like the history.
Craig Herbertson
Thoroughly interesting book written at a time when war was perceived as a glorious affair rather than a meaningless slaughter. Lots of things not mentioned though for political reasons
Spanishliz
The edition I read was actually published before the end of The Great Boer war in 1902, but no need to list yet another edition.
Shaun Chattey
Aug 29, 2011 Shaun Chattey is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Full of truth.
Tyler Edwards
Tyler Edwards marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
John D. Wheeler
John D. Wheeler marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Jeffrey Kirch
Jeffrey Kirch is currently reading it
Sep 24, 2014
Glorybeafarm
Glorybeafarm marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Oswin Holmes
Oswin Holmes marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Conor Brandon
Conor Brandon marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Gill
Gill marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Glennis
Glennis marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Rory
Rory marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Pavel
Pavel added it
Aug 28, 2014
Terry Taylor
Terry Taylor marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Roger Royer
Roger Royer marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Morgen Douglas
Morgen Douglas marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Richard Holden
Richard Holden marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Simon Wilkins
Simon Wilkins marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Virgilio Costa
Virgilio Costa marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Bbsteph
Bbsteph marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record...more
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...
A Study in Scarlet  (Sherlock Holmes, #1) The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3) The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5) The Complete Sherlock Holmes The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume II

“they were of much the same stock, and their creeds could only be distinguished by their varying degrees of bigotry and intolerance.” 1 likes