Start by marking “Famous Modern Ghost Stories” as Want to Read:
Famous Modern Ghost Stories

Famous Modern Ghost Stories

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  194 ratings  ·  23 reviews
A fantastic collection of 15 spooky stories from the masters of the genre, including Edgar Allan Poe and Ambrose Bierce.
Published June 1st 2012 by Auk Academic (first published 1921)

To ask other readers questions about Famous Modern Ghost Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Famous Modern Ghost Stories

Michael
From my review at Badelynge
This collection of fifteen famous ghost stories edited by Dorothy Scarborough was first published in 1921. Only about half of the stories have survived the past century with any notoriety intact. Scarborough's selection process was quite wide and loose with the term ghost. Most of the stories are drawn from American publications of the time, the Harper brothers gaining the biggest slice of the publishing credits. Gems for me are:

* The Willows by Algernon Blackwood, mo
Nerine Dorman
It's sometimes both awesome and awful to return to the classics and see where the roots of horror lie, and this anthology is no exception. Since we live in an age where we suffer from an overabundance of information, it is far easier for authors to gain an understanding of the trends within particular genres.

Having read this collection of short fiction, I can clearly judge how the genre has grown in depth and, also, has devolved. That which is it's boon in contemporary times is also its curse.
Kristy
Some excellent public domain literary horror -- read it yourself, if you don't believe me!: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/15143

And if you want something ghostly but sweet, start with this one that proves that all dogs really do go to heaven: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/15143/...
Miranda
Some of these stories chilled me to the bone, while others were slightly scary and a little confusing. Good book!
Nalia
Iseng-iseng, menemukan buku ini dan membacanya selama di bandara dan pesawat. Di dalamnya terdapat beberapa kompilasi kisah horor klasik terkenal yang pernah di tulis oleh beberapa Author. Namun, dari 16 kisa yang di sajikan, hanya ada sedikit yang benar-benar membuatku merinding, salah satu yang terbaik adalag Pepohonan Willow karya Algernon Blackwood. Sensasi sunyi dan terpencilnya suatu pulau yang di tumbuhi oleh pepohonan willow benar-benar menghasilkan efek horor. Sementara kisah lainnya cu ...more
Rick Davis
Famous Modern Ghost Stories, edited by Dorothy Scarborough and published in 1921, is a diverse collection of tales that could, very loosely, be called “ghost stories”. The fact is, a good number of the stories are not about ghosts at all. Nonetheless, this foray into the supernatural offers some fun times for those who, like me, enjoy a good scare. Since the stories are so varied and different, I’m going to briefly review each one and give ratings for each story rather than for the book as a who ...more
Ipeh Alena
Salah satu buku kumcer horor yang saya suka sekali. Kisah horor klasik memang membawa 'rasa' yg berbeda. terutama dalam membangun teror serta membuat kisah tampak biasa tanpa berlebihan namun membuat ketegangan yang berbeda.

Ada kisah pendeta hitam yang tengkoraknya bergerak sendiri. kemudian mengincar orang yg mengganggunya. atau tangan kanan yang bergerak sendiri, atau juga kisah arwah mantan istri yg merasuki mayat.

bukan kisah murahan tapi benar2 kisah horor yg abadi.
Jerry
Some of these authors are unknown today, some are known only among the odds. The “ghosts” are sometimes not what we consider ghosts, but rather the more general topic of life after death—one of the stories does not involve a ghost at all, while still covering the topic of life after death, and one while haunting, is not in any way frightening. (If you’re a dog lover, you’ll not want to miss it.)

With authors ranging from Poe, Machen, Bierce, and Blackwood, to their nowadays-unknown contemporaries
Amy
Don't be fooled by the "Modern" in the title, this was a Kindle edition of a book published in 1921. The introduction talked about the influence of "the war" on readers and writers and I double checked the date to figure out which war.

This book had a wide range of writing styles and great insights into earlier eras. I especially liked a story that included an American ex-pat's view into Gothic legends in Brittany. It was a fun view into history and had a surprising ending fit for a Vincent Price
Jack Wright
A pretty decent selection of stories although not all of them I would categorize as "ghost" stories. There are a fair amount of super-natural stories and the longest of the group, "The Willows" by Algernon Blackwood I would label as a science fiction thriller. With the exception of Edgar Allen Poe's "Ligeia" and Arthur Machen's "The Bowmen," all of these stories were new to me.

I would recommend this collection to anyone who enjoys early twentieth century literature that isn't your "conventional"
David Davis
This was actually really good. It's a free ebook with supernatural horror stories that's available for free from Gutenberg:

The title is a bit deceptive though. The stories date from 1900-1910 so they're not really modern. The first story is one of my favorites of all time, The Willows by Algernon Blackwood. Other favorites include What Was It?, The Messenger, and The Beast with Five Fingers.
Aurora
There were a few lackluster stories in this collection but "Lazarus" itself was enough to earn a 5 star rating and the majority of the stories were at least enjoyable, if not amazing. The struggle with the disembodied hand actually had me laughing 'til I cried. I don't think that was the story's intent but I definitely enjoyed that one as well. Decidedly one of the better collections I've read recently.
arg/machine
A very nice collection of creepy tales from stellar authors. Now in the public domain, a free electronic copy of the book is available here.
Leslie
3 stars. Keep in mind that this was published in 1912 (?) so modern is a relative term!

I found this collection of ghost stories well-written and enjoyable (more than I expected as this is a genre I don't much like).

Autumn
The stories in this collection were average. "Lazarus" had the potential to be pretty awesome, but it was too long, and I lost interest. Ambrose Bierce delivered as usual, and "At the Gate" was wonderfully sweet.
Mary
Unfortunately, I've read many of these already ("The Willows") and some of them are not that great (angel dogs?!), but I adore the cheeky introduction to "modern" (read: 1920s) ghost stories.
Nilson R.
Some of the stories are a bit on the convoluted side but all in all it's a good anthology. Worth mentioning being By The Gate, among others.
Diah Sukmawati
Terjemahannya awut-awutan dan seperti cerita syeitan-syeitan western klasik pada umumnya, tida begitu seram dan terlalu filosofis
Karin
At timely collection of supernatural and otherwise stories which will make you at least say:HMMMMM..
Timothy Ferguson
interesting and ecclectic collection
Many classic stories, well told in the Librivox recording.

Crystal
I enjoyed most of the stories in this book. It has a little bit of everything...even some Poe :)
Alexandreia
if you believe in God, you should believe in ghosts also
Taueret
not really my cup of tea- maybe some other time.
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Pete R.
Pete R. marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Evelyn
Evelyn marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Lauren Van
Lauren Van marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Bruce L. Floyd
Bruce L. Floyd is currently reading it
Aug 23, 2015
Sarah Abel
Sarah Abel is currently reading it
Aug 16, 2015
  • Hauntings and Other Fantastic Tales
  • A Thin Ghost and Others
  • Fiksi Lotus Vol. 1
  • Shock Totem 4: Curious Tales of the Macabre and Twisted
  • The Bizarro Starter Kit (Purple)
  • Bat Wing
  • If I Were An Evil Overlord
  • The Beckoning Fair One
  • The Cthulhu Mythos Megapack: 40 Modern and Classic Lovecraftian Stories
Emily Dorothy Scarborough was an American writer who wrote about Texas, folk culture, cotton farming, ghost stories and women's life in the Southwest.

Scarborough was born in Mount Carmel, Texas. At the age of four she moved to Sweetwater, Texas for her mother's health, as her mother needed the drier climate. The family soon left Sweetwater in 1887, so that the Scarborough children could get a good
More about Dorothy Scarborough...
Humorous Ghost Stories The Wind Song Catcher in the Southern Mountains The Supernatural in Modern English Fiction GHOST STORIES: Famous Modern Ghost Stories. Humorous Ghost Stories. The Supernatural in Modern Fiction.

“My poor father who is dead" (it is the sacristan who is speaking,) "was in his lifetime a grave-digger. He was of an agreeable disposition, the result, no doubt, of the calling he followed, for it has often been pointed out that people who work in cemeteries are of a jovial turn. Death has no terrors for them; they never give it a thought. I, for instance, monsieur, enter a cemetery at night as little perturbed as though it were the arbor of the White Horse. And if by chance I meet with a ghost, I don't disturb myself in the least about it, for I reflect that he may just as likely have business of his own to attend to as I.” 0 likes