Famous Modern Ghost Stories

Famous Modern Ghost Stories

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A fantastic collection of 15 spooky stories from the masters of the genre, including Edgar Allan Poe and Ambrose Bierce.
Published June 1st 2012 by Auk Academic (first published February 22nd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Famous Modern Ghost Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Famous Modern Ghost Stories

Michael
From my review at Badelynge
This collection of fifteen famous ghost stories edited by Dorothy Scarborough was first published in 1921. Only about half of the stories have survived the past century with any notoriety intact. Scarborough's selection process was quite wide and loose with the term ghost. Most of the stories are drawn from American publications of the time, the Harper brothers gaining the biggest slice of the publishing credits. Gems for me are:

* The Willows by Algernon Blackwood, mo...more
Nerine Dorman
It's sometimes both awesome and awful to return to the classics and see where the roots of horror lie, and this anthology is no exception. Since we live in an age where we suffer from an overabundance of information, it is far easier for authors to gain an understanding of the trends within particular genres.

Having read this collection of short fiction, I can clearly judge how the genre has grown in depth and, also, has devolved. That which is it's boon in contemporary times is also its curse....more
Kristy
Some excellent public domain literary horror -- read it yourself, if you don't believe me!: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/15143

And if you want something ghostly but sweet, start with this one that proves that all dogs really do go to heaven: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/15143/...
Miranda
Some of these stories chilled me to the bone, while others were slightly scary and a little confusing. Good book!
Rick Davis
Famous Modern Ghost Stories, edited by Dorothy Scarborough and published in 1921, is a diverse collection of tales that could, very loosely, be called “ghost stories”. The fact is, a good number of the stories are not about ghosts at all. Nonetheless, this foray into the supernatural offers some fun times for those who, like me, enjoy a good scare. Since the stories are so varied and different, I’m going to briefly review each one and give ratings for each story rather than for the book as a who...more
David Davis
This was actually really good. It's a free ebook with supernatural horror stories that's available for free from Gutenberg:

The title is a bit deceptive though. The stories date from 1900-1910 so they're not really modern. The first story is one of my favorites of all time, The Willows by Algernon Blackwood. Other favorites include What Was It?, The Messenger, and The Beast with Five Fingers.
Jack Wright
A pretty decent selection of stories although not all of them I would categorize as "ghost" stories. There are a fair amount of super-natural stories and the longest of the group, "The Willows" by Algernon Blackwood I would label as a science fiction thriller. With the exception of Edgar Allen Poe's "Ligeia" and Arthur Machen's "The Bowmen," all of these stories were new to me.

I would recommend this collection to anyone who enjoys early twentieth century literature that isn't your "conventional"...more
Mary
Unfortunately, I've read many of these already ("The Willows") and some of them are not that great (angel dogs?!), but I adore the cheeky introduction to "modern" (read: 1920s) ghost stories.
Timothy Ferguson
interesting and ecclectic collection
Many classic stories, well told in the Librivox recording.

Taueret
not really my cup of tea- maybe some other time.
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Joshua Schenck
Joshua Schenck marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
J Simpson
J Simpson is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2014
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Marie Ortiz
Marie Ortiz marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Jharna
Jharna marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Janneth Cubides
Janneth Cubides marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Emily Dorothy Scarborough was an American writer who wrote about Texas, folk culture, cotton farming, ghost stories and women's life in the Southwest.

Scarborough was born in Mount Carmel, Texas. At the age of four she moved to Sweetwater, Texas for her mother's health, as her mother needed the drier climate. The family soon left Sweetwater in 1887, so that the Scarborough children could get a good...more
More about Dorothy Scarborough...
The Wind Humorous Ghost Stories Song Catcher in the Southern Mountains Jenazah Lazarus: Kisah Horor Klasik Pilihan The Supernatural in Modern English Fiction