Start by marking “Every Night's a Saturday Night: The Rock 'n' Roll Life of Legendary Sax Man Bobby Keys” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Every Night's a Saturd...

Bobby Keys

Born in Slaton, Texas, Bobby Keys has lived the kind of life that qualifies as a rock 'n' roll folktale. In his early teens, Keys bribed his way into Buddy Holly's garage band rehearsals. He took up the saxophone because it was the only instrument left unclaimed in the school band, and he convinced his grandfather to sign his guardianship over to Crickets drummer J.I. Alli ...more
Published March 1st 2012 by Counterpoint LLC (first published February 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Every Night's a Saturday Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Night's a Saturday Night

Susan
Aug 16, 2012 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bobby Keys, session sax player who has appeared on many Beatle solo projects. He played the famous sax opening of Whatever Gets You Thru The Night, and having heard a very early version of that song, I would give him a world of credit for making the song work. He also worked with the Crickets, Clapton, Joe Cocker, George and Ringo, and most famously, the Stones. This book was obviously recorded and transcribed because there's a lot of "then, it was like- I don't know- there was a lotta shit goin ...more
Andy
Aug 25, 2013 Andy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rock-sleaze
Bobby Keys is the great sax player who played on countless iconic rock records during the Classic Rock era: Brown Sugar, Whatever Gets You Through The Night, What Is Life, After Midnight and many more. Unfortunately, this tell-all is more of a not-tell much of anything.

Keys tells stories in a painful Joe Sixpack style that sounds a lot like a plumber who got lucky touring with The Rolling Stones and playing on various Beatles' solo projects. He doesn't offer much insight into his friendships wit
Michael Smith
Sep 20, 2013 Michael Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really into this book from the beginning. Bobby Keys has played sax with every great artist on the planet, including many of my favorites, like Delaney & Bonnie, George Harrison and Eric Clapton. And the story is a fun read, but my only beef is that a quarter into the book, when he meets The Rolling Stones and begins to truly live the life of a road dog, the book descends into one long, drawn out tale of drug and alcohol excess. Actual tales about the MUSIC and musicians is pushed to t ...more
Stewart Summers
I liked the book. Fun, quick read. If you are a Rolling Stones or classic rock and roll fan then you will enjoy this book. Bobby has lived ten lives rolled into one. Bobby has played sax on some of the greatest songs ever recorded and many of his solos are classics. Thanks to Bobby Keys for taking this reader on a journey of his wild and woolly life.
Scott Hersey
Not bad. He has played with a lot of the greats and tells a few stories. But this feels like a sanitized version. Keys is a LEGENDARY wild man. I expected more hair-raising tales from the road.
Barry Hammond
Rock and Roll hit Bobby Keys hard. The first time he heard the music live he was ten years old, living with his grandparents in Slaton, Texas. Buddy Holly was playing on the back of a cotton trailer for the grand opening of a gas station. “It was like a mountain had fallen on me. And right then and there I knew I wanted to have something to do with that music. There was just this power, just something about it, and I thought, Well, by golly, they’re doing it right here in Slaton, so, you know, i ...more
Jaycee
Oct 26, 2016 Jaycee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Like many rock-n-roll memoirs, this one is big on tales of debauchery and decadence but light on musical or personal insight. Personally, I not only want to hear some details of the hedonistic lifestyle but I want insight into the personal and professional challenges these artists face. I find hope and intimacy in learning how they succeed or fail these challenges and what growth or lessons they have learned. This book offers little of that. Bobby Keys seemed content to roll along with the tide ...more
Courtney E. Smith
A must-read for any Stones obsessive. One thing you need to know going in, the whole book is written in the coloquial speaking style of Bobby Keys. If you can hang, he's got some good stories, although much like Keith Richards' autobio, there are huge unrecounted and unremembered swaths of time when the pair were on heroin. Late '70s to mid '80s pass as if they didn't exist at all. And Keys spends a lot of time talking Stones and Beatles adventures so certain interesting (to me) appearances in h ...more
Simon Sweetman
A nothing-special memoir; you can tell Keys has no real clues about his place, or anyone's in music - he gets dates wrong (suggesting that Stevie Wonder had just released Songs in the Key of Life when opening for the Stones in 72, etc) and really has just a few drinking yarns (that he can remember/will admit) to offer. Of course he's done some great work, played with everyone - but this is soulless and lacking. And that's a bit of a shame.
Blair T
A fascinating look at a musician who seemed to wander through life with neither plan nor guile. The historical notes are interesting, especially after reading other books, like The Wrecking Crew and Keith's book that talk about a number of the same characters. It is frustrating to see how wasted he was through much of his career. That he didn't end up dead at 27, like so many others, is just dumb luck. Still, a really interesting look at the period.
Mrs.Lady
Dec 27, 2014 Mrs.Lady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing life. I am a music fan and a while back I noticed so many of my favorite cuts had this sexy sax, did some searched and found out that was Bobby Keys blowing his horn. So I had to read this book. I never knew that recording were done in layers, always thought the whole group played together. The rocknroll antics, yeah, expected to hear about the wild good times, awesome. Loved this book - thaks Bobby for taking me on your wild ride. RIP ...more
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Bobby Keys er saxófónleikari sem er þekktastur fyrir samstarf sitt við The Rolling Stones. Hann á þó mun lengri feril sem nær alveg til fiftís. Þetta er valinkunnur sukkbolti og bókin heitir Every Night’s a Saturday Night. Ég bjóst við miklu meira því þessi bók er frekar illa skrifuð og blóðlaus. Svo man karlinn gloppótt og það sést.
Monica
Nov 11, 2015 Monica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stream of consciousness writing, sounds like his verbal conversations were transcribed. Definitely reflects the true version of him. Good time party guy, learned his lessons about life later after the.money and fame ran out. Still had a great attitude about life all the way through. Not too introspective. Lots of fun stories about famous people
Mike
Aug 04, 2012 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bobby Keys is the man responsible for that classic sax solo in the Stones Brown Sugar. Simple and straightforward, a memoir of escapades, good and crazy times with the Rolling Stones, as well as tales of the likes of Leon Russell. Entertaining to those who like to scratch below the surface of rock and toll. If yours is just a casual interest, pass to the next......
Sam
May 12, 2013 Sam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brisk fun read, with a great focus on the music, which is sometimes too absent in musicians' autobiographies. Great stories across all the bands Keys played with. The problem is lack of emotional depth. We never get a sense of Keys beyond the instrument, aside from some superficial writings on his dealings with heroin. He keeps the curtain tightly drawn.
cesar
Jan 21, 2014 cesar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies
Enjoyable and a quick read. Comes off just as I would think having a conversation with Bobby over a couple of drinks would be like. It's not a literary classic, but I didn't expect it to be. It's down to earth.
Gary
Dec 29, 2014 Gary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a good read. A good narrative and perspective on early 60's and 70's music, and musicians. However I picked this book up learn more about BK and the Stones, so the first half of the book was slow, but interesting. The 2nd half piqued my interest.
Don Gorman
The history is great, the writing not so much. Bobby Keys is a legendary sideman. His story is indeed interesting but the book doesn't flow very well. It is choppy and tougher to read than it should be. Bobby has a lot of fun, some predictable ups and downs, and so does the reader.
Mj Sheppard
The factual errors, of which there were many, were distracting. But still a fun book.

You'll be missed, Bobby.
Judy
Mar 15, 2012 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reminds me a lot of Keith Richards "Life". Perhaps because Keith is featured a lot in this book. Anything about the Stones is interesting. Mr. Keys is pretty interesting also.
John
Dec 18, 2013 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, easy read. Another cool perspective on life with the Stones. Another unflattering description of the main man, Mick Jagger.
Jim
Aug 18, 2014 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad r'n'r book. Some interesting stories about the Stones, John Lennon, Joe Cocker & others. Keith actually has better stories about ?bobby in his book though.
Sandra Hoeft
Jan 12, 2015 Sandra Hoeft rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun reading!

Rock and Roll enthusiasts will get a kick out of this book. You will not be disappointed. I loved it.
Michael R. Emswiler
What a ride

Great book. I wish it was longer, but a lot is covered. Read this! . Never a dull moment. Highly recommended R&R autobiography
Kevin Hodgson
... interesting life of a rock and roll saxophonist. It is getting a little repetitive (sort of like re-reading Keith Richards all over again, but with a horn player).
Jeff
Jeff rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2012
Tom Goudie
Tom Goudie rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2016
George
George rated it it was ok
Feb 09, 2014
Justin
Justin rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2013
Kay Cordtz
Kay Cordtz rated it really liked it
May 23, 2012