Bringing the Thunder: The Missions of a World War II B-29 Pilot in the Pacific

Bringing the Thunder: The Missions of a World War II B-29 Pilot in the Pacific

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Features dozens of never-before-seen photos of the B-29 in action A fast-paced, riveting account that puts the reader in the cockpit of a four-engine bomber over enemy territory Detailed account of combat, mission by mission The B-29 bomber was made to soar in thin, cold air, dropping its massive bomb load from heights so great that the crews might never see their targets...more
Published November 1st 2006 by Stackpole Books

Jeff Dawson

A Thundering 5 Stars!

B-29 perspective.

An absolutely excellent memoir! I have read many from this time era, but nothing with this flavor. Mr. Robertson is going to take you on a travel few have traversed. This is nothing more than a normal American answering the "call to arms" and fulfilling the duty to his country with no whining or complaining.

Many of us have seen the movie or heard of the plane, "Memphis Bell." Why is that important? Because the crew of the Bell were allowed to rotate back to...more
Jack
This was a biography of a WWII B-29 pilot who flew 35 missions over Japan. It is a real life, first person account of the career of a pilot, from when he joined the Army and a little of his background on why he wanted to fly planes. It was a very insightful look into one of the members of the Greatest Generation and his thoughts of why he was over there, the risks he took and the missions he flew. If you are interested in WWII biographies, this is a good one. If you are interested in history, ag...more
Sean
This biography of a B-29 Bomber Pilot's experience before and during World War 2 really helped show me another side of the war that hasn't received as much popular attention. There are plenty of movies and HBO series about the Army and Marine experience during the war, and really not so much attention is paid to the thousands of pilots that provided air cover for those soldiers.

Mr. Robertson flew 35 successful missions from Guam to Japan, concluding with the final US bombing of Japan before thei...more
Peter Fortune
My father was the pilot of a B-29 flying from Tinian on missions over the Japanese mainland. This book helped me to understand what his training and experience was like.

Robertson was a B-29 pilot flying from Saipan (5 miles from Tinian) whose last required mission (the 35th) was on the last day of hostilities (August 14, 19450. Written in an easy every-man style, it could be the story of any of the pilots in the Mariannas. Much of what it has to say parallels my father’s experiences, and the in...more
Bob
Good book. I've always been a fan of WW2 aviation history, and when I was younger, you one couldn't find much about the Superfort other than the A-bomb stuff.

This was a fairly typical memoir of a pilot, following him through his training first as a fighter pilot, then a B-17 pilot, then his transition to the -29. Robertson flew 35 missions, his last on the last day of hostilities. He relies heavily on his mission logs for the details surrounding each mission, which is a nice touch.

I'll have to...more
Tom Schulte
I really warm and amazing story of a B-29 pilot's WW II experience in the Pacific theatre. The author's real love of flying comes through and his appreciate of his craft (vocation and aircraft!) and appreciation of the views and weather from his high vantage.

After training to be a fighter pilot and ending a bomber pilot the book sets into one bombing mission after another for 30 missions. This could be a recipe for repetition and boredom, but the author manages to make each mission unique and in...more
CEC
Quick read on the life of a pilot stationed in Guam. They were part of the initial forces that began bombing runs on the Japanese mainland in anticipation of making them loosen the grips of their ironclad will.
Eric
An interesting tale, though dry in some instances. Then again it was a documentary. I never realized the extent of the B-29 missions in subduing Japan. The atrocities committed by the Japs against our POWs I had read about in other accounts of WWII.

Robertson never related the logistics of keeping those bombers in the air. Fuel, bombs, parts, etc. That had to be an amazing supply chain problem and solution for the military.
Thomas Adams
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. While not the product of a polished writer, it is nonetheless a first-person account of a B-29 pilot who completed 30 bombing missions in Japan during WWII. This was indeed the "Greatest Generation" and his story of just one more example of the bravery that typified our parents generation and the sacrifices they made on our behalf. I highly recommend this read.
Mark Clements
A pilot's recollwction of his training and service as a B29 pilot in the Pacific in the last years years of WW2. It was an interesting insight on the inner workings of combat action. My only complaint was the descriptions of his "reunion" with his wife at the end of his tour.
John
Interesting insight into strategic bombing campaign in the Pacific during WWII by one of the pilots.
Glenn Peach
Glenn Peach marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Jake
Jake marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Vici
Vici added it
Jul 18, 2014
Hector Sosa
Hector Sosa marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
David Tesch
David Tesch marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Leigh Kuhl-Roberts
Leigh Kuhl-Roberts marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Kim Ellsworth-evans
Kim Ellsworth-evans marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Gerry Key
Gerry Key marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Yazir Paredes
Yazir Paredes marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Rick
Rick marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Mitchell
Mitchell marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Ray Riddle
Ray Riddle marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Douglas Smith
Douglas Smith marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014