Start by marking “Out to Pasture: But Not over the Hill” as Want to Read:
Out to Pasture: But Not over the Hill

Out to Pasture: But Not over the Hill

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  248 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Hattie McNair, the feisty protagonist of this modest, semi-autobiographical first novel, is a widow living in a South Carolina retirement home. Through her diary entries, we watch as the home's residents tell their life stories, exchange confidences and gossip, develop romantic crushes and turn to one another for support. Longing for a change in her daily routine, Hattie d ...more
Published March 1st 1995 by Peachtree Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Out to Pasture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out to Pasture

Pamela(AllHoney)
I found this at the local library and decided to give it a try. Hattie McNair lives at FairAcres Retirement Home in Drayton, SC and decides to start "jotting" her thoughts about the place and people. A humorous book at times but it also makes you realize how fragile and human we all are.

Deanne
I was looking through the library shelves for a Jacqueline Winspear book and this one, a few books away, jumped out at me. It looked cute, so I added it to my pile. I really enjoyed this delightful little treasure. I LOVE the fact that this author started writing when she was 85. Somehow I find that so endearing. Her witty insights and funny poetry made me laugh. Effie helped me see and feel what it is like to be old. This book made me feel so much more appreciative and compassionate toward "the ...more
Terri
I liked this book, and I didn't like this book. Written like a diary by a lady living in a retirement/nursing home, it is funny, poignant, and scarey. Scarey because this is what could be in store for a lot of us, unless we die young. And while you are glad to know that the 'old' folks still laugh, love, and enjoy life, the truth is on every page, --no one lives forever, and sometimes the ending is not good.

Miss Harriet tells the story in journal jottings, some thoughts are disconnected to the
Shannan Hicks
Cute little novel about residents of a retirement community. Think I'm going to read the series. Light and entertaining voice from 85 year-old Effie Leland Wilder.
Robin Thomas
Cute and fun read. About an "inmate" at the FairAcres retirement home, Hattie McNair. She is a journal keeper and jots things down and types them up on her old typewriter. She gets her information from the goings on at the home; it may be at the dinner table, through gossip, and sometimes eavesdropping. It's pretty funny, but also sad at times. A couple of my favorite entries:
"The staff arranged for two doctors to come and have a session with us about how to improve our memories. I thought, oh b
Shelley
Such an adorable and sweet story written by first time author, Effie Leland Wilder when she was 85 years old back in 1995! Apparently, she wrote quite a few more after this one. I plan on seeing if my local library has any.

I came across this novel at the nursing home I volunteer at. It's a fast and enjoyable read. I'm thinking if any of the residents read it, they would probably be depressed, because most are in wheelchairs and they don't have the freedom like Hattie McNair has in her assisted
Mandolin
Effie Leland Wilder paints a refreshingly open book about the joys and heartaches of growing older in this wonderful book, which follows the exploits and antics of Hattie McNair, an eighty-something widow, and the other residents of Fair Acres, a retirement home in South Carolina. Written in diary format, the book mixes humorous anecdotes with more sobering thoughts on aging and loss. Through it all, Wilder weaves a story that is both charming and insightful. Add to that Hattie's sweet, silly po ...more
Chuck
Ms. Wilder wrote this book at age 85. It is basically a journal of her experiences at FairAcres, a residence for the elderly in South Carolina. She writes with charm, wit, and wise insight. I enjoyed it and learned much about living at a "home for the elderly." I suspect you'll enjoy reading it too.
Allison
Funny, light book about life in an assisted living facility. It’s like a small community, with gossip and group events, deaths and jokes. It wasn’t technically a great book, but it was interesting because it seems quaint and the author was 85 when she wrote it.
Esther
My mother really liked this book because it is humorously written in first person by a woman in a retirement home about her experiences at the home. My parents are at the age to consider downsizing so this was interesting to my mother.
Linda Hunt
Totally a fun book! As I read it, I found myself wanting to share anecdotes with my husband - these were bits and pieces of things we could remember and understand. It was a delightful read with many funny quips, and the author's sense of humor just made the whole thing worth recommending - so I do!
Britt
Jul 06, 2008 Britt rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Britt by: book club
I guess maybe my reviews are pretty hard-ass, since I totally enjoyed this book and only gave it three stars. It's not really deep and mentally challenging but it made me smile the whole way through, maybe because the main character is the sort of sweet american grandma I never had. If I had to describe this book in on word, it would be "charming." I don't use that word often, outside of ironic uses, but in this case, I really think it fits. I thought it was sweet without being icky sweet...and ...more
May
The author's first novel written when she was in her 80's. A light, breezy read.
Mary Alice

Sweet book.. I wanted to like it a lot because I loved working with older people and was in a lot of retirement/assisted living/nursing homes during my career. I think my personal experience is what kept me from being completely entertained by this book. I wanted more plot. The anecdotes the author included were nice, but I heard so many wonderful stories first hand that the ones in the book did not seem especially important. I wanted the anecdotes to contribute to the plot, but they just didn'
Lois
Simple story that skips around.
Janice
Quick read. Humorous story about retirement home life.
Mary Ann
For someone who is 85 and this is her first book, I must say well done, indeed. Maybe this appealed to me because if Mother weren't living at home she would probably be in a facility like Fair Acres Home. It is almost like a collection of short stories, yet is held together with an underlying story that renews one's faith in humanity! A great 'feel good' story!
Candy
The cover is a perfect representation of what people seem to take to assisted living.
There is a nice narrative arc to the story, and wisdom based on a long life. I was interested that she wondered if it was worth going on living, but really, what choice do we have?
A gentle, thoughtful read, especially if you have spent any time in a home for the elderly.
Kathryn
A sweet story of a lady that lives at the FairAcres Home. It's written by an 85 (then 85) year old woman and it's her first book. It's a written story similar to a journal about the happenings at the home. Lots of smiles, some sadness and a light read. There are more in the series, but this one is good for me.
Julie
I just happened to come across this book at the local library when I was in college. Reading a story about a retirement home wasn't exactly what I was looking for but there was just something about this book that caught my attention. I'm glad it did because this book made me laugh. Cute read, I def recommend it!
Amy Tomes
Quaint little read--easty & light about an older lady in a retirement home--she keeps a journal about life in the home & the quirky residents who live there. I was drawn to read this book mainly because the author was 85 yrs old & it was her first novel.
Pam
Oh my goodness! What a fun book to read. Here is an elderly lady who is living at "Fair Acres" a retirement center and keeps a journal of the going-ons at the home. There is some wonderful humor in this book and one that everyone will enjoy.
Denise Jo
Cute book written by an 85 year old woman. It is written in the form of a journal and is about her being at Fairacres, where everyone is old and in different stages of life. Had a few laughs, but glad I got it from the library...
Peggy
Apr 16, 2010 Peggy added it
This reminds me of the many years i spent drawing blood in nursing homes and my visits to retirement communities. There is definitely laughter and evesdropping going on in those facilities. This is really a fun read.
Martha
Think of every hoary old joke you ever heard, string them together with very little plot and no character development and you have any Effie Wilder book. I guess I am just not old enough to appreciate them.
Heather
What will be my life be like when I'm old? This was a fun and light-hearted look at what it might be like to live in a retirement home. I admire the author for writing this book -- when she was 85 years old!
 Barb Bailey
This book was pretty good... I did laugh out loud a couple of times. But alot of the stories and jokes were old. I admire the author who started a new career as a resident in a assisted living home.
Cafelilybookreviews
I adore this author and laughed SO hard reading all of her books.

Having an elderly mom, now in assisted living, I truly enjoyed the senior adventures that Effie writes about.
Debbie
Oct 03, 2012 Debbie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Some of this book I really liked. Things like the Priest family stories and the recollections. I wasn't very fond of all the quotes, poetry and musings on death.
  • Mortal Remains in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #5)
  • Miss Julia's School of Beauty (Miss Julia, #6)
  • Call the Devil by His Oldest Name (Mary Crow, #3)
  • Dearest Dorothy, Are We There Yet? (Dearest Dorothy, #1)
  • Plant Life
  • Mama Get the Hammer! There's a Fly on Papa's Head!
  • She-Rain:  A Story of Hope
  • I Gave You My Heart, but You Sold It Online (Domestic Equalizers Book 3)
  • I'm a Manatee
  • Tomorrow: Adventures in an Uncertain World
  • Consider Love
  • The Mitford Bedside Companion: A Treasury of Favorite Mitford Moments, Author Reflections on the Bestselling Se ries, and More. Much More.
  • With
Over What Hill?: Notes from the Pasture One More Time: (...Just for the Fun of It!), Notes from Fairacres Older but Wilder: More Notes from the Pasture Oh, My Goodness!: More Surprises from Fairacres Effie Leland Wilder Omnibus: Three Volumes in One: Out to Pasture; Over What Hill?; Older But Wilder