Blank-133x176
Viva La Madness

J.J. Connolly

Viva La Madness

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  23 reviews
J. J. Connolly the favorite voice of London gangster fiction returns with a tour de force: the Get Carter of the noughties, "Layer Cake" has also been made into a highly-praised film by Matthew Vaughn, starring Daniel Craig and Sienna Miller (it's also the most shoplifted book in England). Now Connolly is back with a sequel that sees him on the same stunning form, with his...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Overlook (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Viva La Madness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Viva La Madness

RandomAnthony
I picked up Viva La Madness over Christmas break because its English pedigree reminded me of Snatch and maybe a cousin of the Scottish Trainspotting. I never read/saw the movie of the prequel (Layer Cake), and neither the library nor used bookstore had it, so I went with the sequel. I wasn’t disappointed. Well, not much. Viva La Madness is a lively, rollicking read that requires full reality dismissal for optimal enjoyment.

Viva La Madness is a seedy, underworld comedy with well-drawn characters,...more
Bernadette Steele
What a riot! I finally found an author who might be the equal of Elmore Leonard (at whose feet I worship). J.J. knows how to spin a plot, writes richly developed characters who are at times the victims of their own hilarious foibles, and dialogue that absolutely delights in it's inventiveness and smacks of authenticity. Forget the dictionary, just enjoy the wonderful phrases and jargon and the unique narrative voice. I'll be tracking down his first book "Layer Cake" to read ASAP.
Thomas Appleby
Better than Layer Cake, so many twists and turns, Read it!!
John Black
Viva La Madness is a sequel to the author’s previous novel, Layer Cake. The tile Layer Cake is, in part, a metaphor / slang term for the illegal drug business, in particular cocaine dealing. The novel featured an unnamed protagonist who was at the point of retiring into the sun with his ill gotten gains as a mid-level cocaine dealer when his boss tells him he has a little job for him to do. Complications naturally ensue…

Layer Cake was adapted into a film staring a pre-Bond Daniel Craig. The film...more
Paul Mcfarland
This is the second installment of J.J. Connolly’s depiction of the life and times of his nameless criminal protagonist. Instead of enjoying his hard earned retirement as chronicled in L4YER CAKE he finds himself caught up in a multi-continental mess that spins from South America to London.

Despite some UK criminal argot that sent me fleeing to Urban Dictionary I really enjoyed this fine crime novel. There is a cross, then a double cross, then a --- well you get the idea. The plot turns come thic...more
Les Gehman
Viva La Madness by J.J. Connolly continues the tales of our anonymous protagonist from Layer Cake. Our nameless hero is lured from retirement in the Caribbean back to the drug trade in London. However, no one is telling the whole story and quickly things turn violent. Plots within plots within plots, ad infinitum. Not being British or in the criminal underground, a lot of the slang threw me initially, but most of the time it could be figured out by its context. This is a very fun, action packed...more
Nick
Not as good as 'Layer Cake,' and the setting telegraphs the conclusion a bit, but all in all, not bad.
Nagharaj Abishek
Witty, quick, dark and unputdownably fun! a roller coaster of a read that is rife with laughs
Warren Olson
If you loved the cult movie 'Lock stock and two smoking barrels'
you will be more than impressed with this classic tale by J J Connolly.
There are so many wacky gangsters chasing each other around London at times its hard to keep up/turn the pages quick enough.
Great light read that I found highly entertaining.
Eric Ehlers
This is the sequel toLayer Cake - one of my all time favorites. Connolly again weaves an interesting tale of London criminals with the protagonist from Layer Cake. Pacing of this nuanced storyline is very good in this one and if you liked the style of Layer Cake you will not be disappointed.
Larry H.
British gangsters, psychotic South American death squads, and a fiery Latin femme fatale. Oh yes, something about a USB drive. The topsy turvy London world has never been more vicious yet oh so infused with delightful dark humour.
Kyria
I couldn't get into this book! It is about a criminal from the UK who takes part in some shady stuff. The characters are kind of annoying and the book took a long time to get going. I kind of had to skim through the end to get through it.
Jakenv
Long enough to keep you entertained for more than a few hours. Characters are edgy, full of life. When living in Caribbean makes you long for old life as gangster know game is on. Summer reading list must contain.
Richard
This is the book I quit reading because there was so much unnecessary criminal slang. I did not want to wade through all that with so many other books waiting.
Alex
Really good, perhaps even better than Layer Cake. It was a little slow to get started but fantastic once it got going.
NVTony
Liked authors first book better. Still found this to be a good read. His characters definitely have character.
Gerard
I really hope they make this into a film - the official sequel to Layer Cake.

Martin Sharp
The follow up to Layer Cake. If you loved that film or book, you'll love this
Justin Lester
Just starting to read books without pictures (38 yr old) enjoyed it :)
Louie Haltom
good book set in London.
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Geraldine
Geraldine is currently reading it
Sep 16, 2014
Troy
Troy marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Meredith Borders
Meredith Borders marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014