Start by marking “Another Woman” as Want to Read:
Another Woman

Penny Vincenzi

Another Woman

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  738 ratings  ·  78 reviews
Penny Vincenzi, queen of riveting family drama, delivers her most page-turning saga yet in this novel of intrigue, sure to please her legions of fans. The night before her lavish wedding, Cressida Forrest went to bed serene and happy. By morning she had vanished--without apparent cause, and without a trace. Shocked, anxious, and uncomprehending, the two families face a lon ...more
Published January 1st 2012 by Overlook (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Another Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another Woman

Keturah
Not my favorite Vincenzi, for sure. Truthfully, I wasn't sure I'd finish it or not. I think I finished it because I wanted to find out the truth about Cressida. But we never really do! So it was frustrating, although I don't think Vincenzi wanted us to focus on her. I had a difficult time liking any of the characters. And I detested the only 'poor' character- Tilly, because she had such a huge chip on her shoulder and then she abruptly dropped the whole thing and at the end no more was said abou ...more
Ang
Meh. Typical Penny Vincenzi. Ending slightly unsatisfactory: after all, what the HELL was UP with Cressida?
Maxine
I liked this book--it did keep me turning pages. I agree with other reviewers that it is a little confusing for the first ten or so pages, jumping as it does from character to character when there are so many, and who's who isn't entirely clear.

Once you've got them sorted out though, the story fascinates, and we learn so much about these characters--friends and family of a bride who vanishes on the eve of her wedding. These are all people who move in the privileged society of the upper classes,
Sonia Cristina
No início sentia-me entusiasmada e cheia de vontade de ler este livro, até comecei muito bem. Ao início é complicado porque são muitos personagens mas depois encarreirei com eles todos (mais ou menos) e já sabia quem era quem. O que me dava alento a ler era que aquela gente toda tinha muitos segredos e eu odeio não os saber!

Cressida desaparece na madrugada do dia do seu casamento. Não disse nada a ninguém, não se sabe para onde foi nem os seus motivos. Era vista por toda a gente como uma jovem
Margarida Cruz
Depois de O Jogo do Acaso, o primeiro e único livro que li de Penny Vincenzi, as expectativas eram altas para Uma Mulher Diferente, a nova aposta da Porto Editora nesta que é uma das mais estimadas autoras de todo o Reino Unido. No entanto, é com pena que digo que essas mesmas expectativas não foram atingidas. A história de Uma Mulher Diferente ficou, aliás, aquém do esperado depois do excelente e arrebatador trabalho conseguido em O Jogo do Acaso.

Sinceramente, não consigo definir ao certo a min
Joan
I was able to read an advance reading copy from The Doylestown Bookshop in return for a review. Thanks!!

The action in this book takes place over 2 days near Oxford in England. Cressida Forrest is going to marry Dr. Oliver Bergin, an American, and all of the friends and family have enjoyed a wonderful rehearsal dinner. On the morning of the wedding, Cressida has vanished and over the following hours of the weekend, the very complicated story of Cressida as well as that of her parents, godparents
Jacqueline
I cant say i liked this as much as other penny vincenzis that i've read,while it did hold my interest theres a few gripes im starting to get with all of her books: the sex scenes are cringeworthy, when i sense one coming up now i tend to skip it...she seems to use things like car crashes in every book...and i hate the way that she gives a character a quirky attribute that ends up being practically their whole personality,for example in this book its the eccentric traveller who spends the whole b ...more
Karen
This is one of my most favorite authors but the least favorite read, for me, of the books she has written. This is one of those authors that if she wrote a book about paint drying...I would read it. Her writing style cannot be beat. That being said, this book has way to many characters...to the point I'm making a chart to keep them all straight. Over dramatic on some of them and then they just dropped out of the story line. One of those characters goes into the very MacDonald's I was in while in ...more
Tracy
This is an older book of an author I usually like, but I didn't like it as much as her past work. Set on the day of a wedding, it follows the family and guests as they scramble to learn what happened to the bride, who has disappeared. There isn't much resolution of the bride's story, but the stories of the family/friends are reasonably satisfying. While the novel really focuses on the day of and day after the wedding (you'd be surprised how much can happen in a weekend!), it also goes back 30 ye ...more
Darby
Not my favourite Vincenzi. Most of her other books are completely entertaining. This one was not.
Rkb 2014
I'd never read any books by this author, and this book surely didn't impress enough to read any more. I had to make a chart in order to keep track of the characters. The ending was totally unsatisfactory, with no resolution of the main issue. And tell me: How does a phone ring sharply? It either rings or it doesn't. (That was an aside about an overworked phrase in the book.)
L'aura
I did not like this novel. Somehow, by the format of all the characters being introduced like a tourist guide, I still got them all mixed up and perceived no real character to any of them with the exception of the old explorer, Grandpa Merlin. The vapid, insipid conversations and content of their frivolous lives was off the chart in futility. I got the feeling almost as if Penny didn't write the book herself, but put some inexperienced ghostwriter onto the task. I'm quite dissapointed to say the ...more
Marty
This is an earlier title by Vincenzi and, therefore, did not have a list of characters in the front of the book and there were a ton of characters whose lives were intertwined. Sometimes I would forget who exactly was who and had to flip back and reread which was annoying. Her later books or ones republished in America do contain a list of characters so it's easy to see who is related to whom and how. All that said, I love her books, her characters and her intricate plot lines.
Maria
Um livro que não me cativou muito nas primeiras paginas. Mas conforme fui lendo fui ficando cada vez mais interessada na história, para saber o que tinha acontecido na realidade. Mas o final foi muito estanho, fiquei na duvida sobre o destino de algumas personagens e sem saber o que tinha acontecido na realidade... Um livro longo, que me fez lembrar uma novela, em que estendem o enredo por muito tempo e nas ultimas paginas tudo se decida, mas deixando pontas soltas.
Nancy
Really enjoyed Vincenzi's Spoils of Time trilogy with historical settings. But this one? It's a page turner and I wanted to find out what happened, so I kept reading, but there was no resolution. How frustrating because I really didn't care enough about the characters; it's a very plot driven book. Some literary works are enhanced by an ambiguous ending, but this is not a literary work. This is a good read and does not lend itself at all to ambiguity. Disappointing.
Laura G
I really enjoy that Vincenzi has multiple characters with their own back stories to discover in her books. However I have to agree with other reviewers that it is frustrating that, in this book, the central character's story is not completed.

The ending is just a bit incomplete and unsatisfactory for my liking.

Three stars is for writing style and generally pleasing me until the the last chapter and epilogue.
I liked it, but not as much as some of her other books. It had a fairly weak plot, and it was pretty much a soap opera, but it was a good book for a dreary winter weekend, or would be great on the beach or a long plane ride. It was fun as additional layers of the characters were reveled thorugh flash-backs, and did make me wonder what was coming next. I was however disappointed in the ending. It seemed as though the author just ran out of steam and cut it off.
Jenny L
The usual upper-middle class family saga from Penny Vincenzi, which was the usual good, non-taxing read! The title of the book 'Another Woman' is a little misleading - yes, there are several 'other' women within the story, but the story supposedly centres around Cressida who disappears the morning of her wedding, and there is no 'other' woman in her story. So, good, but not her best, but still worth reading.
Lauren
Finally finished this slog of a book. It went on forever and I'm still not sure why I persisted in reading it. Maybe to figure out what was going on with Cressida but in the end that was only partially justified my finishing it. It just went on forever and a few less POVs or characters would have maybe made it less long and more readable. Not sure if I will try another of these books. Not worth the effort.
Jeannine
This book started very fast, with a huge number of characters - for a while there I was quite confused and really had to focus to not get them mixed up (who's who's father, etc.). But I loved that it was such a 'busy' book...something new revealed on every page. And it was not your typical 'happy ending' story.

I was irritated though by the vast number of spelling mistakes in the edition I read!
Melissa Laurent
Definitely not my favorite Vincenzi novel. Like a few other reviews I've seen on here I agree that it was very difficult to get through the book in its entirety. I had trouble relating to any of the characters and honestly only continued reading through the end because I desperately wanted that "ah hah!" moment. However this is just my opinion, perhaps other readers and fans enjoyed the experience.
Milly
Really loved the plot premise, and liked the characterisation early on in the book. Read the book quite quickly, thought it was very well paced and always wanted to know what happened in the next chapter. Ultimately though the outcome was a bit of a let down which is why it ended up with 3 stars instead of 4. This was my first Penny Vincenzi book and I will definitely read more of hers.
Linnet
Cressida disappears early in the morning on her wedding day. Her family and friends embark on a search and in the process, the secrets between the characters come out. This book is like a soap opera, the number of characters, the subplots, and intrigue are all there. By the time Cressida is found, you don't really care why she left, so much as happened!
Diane
I did not enjoy this as much as some of Vincenzi's other novels. Too many characters and none of them very likeable. The novel about Cressida, a runaway bride never shows us her side of the story as she goes from sweet young bride to a coniving, spoiled brat by the end of the book. This did not have the depth of character found in most of her other books.
Arathi
Penny Vincenzi's books are usually great for light reading, but the books themselves are not light, as in, they are long. Which I LOVE. More for me to read! I enjoyed this one like the others, but not all the loose ends were tied up by the time the book ended.... I would have liked more closure, but still, enjoyable read!
Molly
I really enjoyed "Another Woman" by Penny Vincenzi. The characters were very developed, and I felt like I was a part of their complex, intertwined realtionships. I was left a bit unsatisfied with the ending of the book, though, because I prefer definitive, conclusive endings. I do not like having unanswered questions.
Michelle
My first Vencenzi novel....liked it but it left me in a lurch as to what really happened to the main character that the story was based on! Sometimes I felt like I needed a family tree to identify all the characters the way it jumped from one story to the other. Having said that, I'll check out her other books!
Linh
Reading a Penny Vincenzi is like experiencing a soap opera in book form. There are so many characters and so much happening but its' all intertwined in some way, shape or form.

Of all the characters, I felt the most connection with Harriet and loved to read about the thrill of her forbidden romance.
Mary Lou
Bride vanishes on her wedding day mystifying all. While we find out about the lives of some of the others in the wedding party, we also discover that no harm has come to her & that she ran away of her own volition. Other threads in the story are neatly tied but her reason for running is never clarified.
Margali
This was ALMOST a 5-star book for me -- it's a juicy, engrossing soap opera of a novel, and I finished it in two days straight. It lost a star because it felt like it just dropped the last two characters at the end. Maybe there will be a sequel, in which case I might move my review back up to a 5.
  • Ellie
  • The Potter's House
  • Godchildren
  • A Friend of the Family
  • Mirror, Mirror
  • Marco Polo, If You Can
  • Lovers and Liars
  • Lessons in Heartbreak
  • Full House (Quick Read)
  • Two Lipsticks and a Lover
  • Venus Envy
  • Hidden Talents
I'm currently taking part in a Q&A Group here on Goodreads to discuss my latest novel, Sheer Abandon . To post questions, please visit: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/4.... I look forward to an active discussion together.

I was nine years old when I embarked on my storytelling career. I wrote my own magazine called “Stories”, which I copied out three times on carbon paper and sold for two
More about Penny Vincenzi...
No Angel (The Spoils of Time, #1) Something Dangerous (The Spoils of Time, #2) Into Temptation (The Spoils of Time, #3) The Best Of Times Sheer Abandon