Start by marking “Getting Genki in Japan: The Adventures and Misadventures of an American Family in Tokyo” as Want to Read:

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The unexpected gift of a favored bottle of shiraz from her husband leads to the adventure of a lifetime for "Karen Pond" and her family--moving from rural Maine to the largest city in the world: Tokyo, Japan.
"Getting Genki in Japan" is a collection of illustrated essays and musings of a Down East Mom's absurd and exhilarating adventures in the Far East. From bewildered an
Published August 1st 2012 by Tuttle Publishing (first published May 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Genki in Japan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Genki in Japan

Fiza Nasri.
Tak sangka aku akan bagi 4 bintang untuk buku ini. Menarik, lucu dan kasihan dengan pengalaman penulis yang terpaksa hidup di negara asing, dan Jepun yang punya some sort of unique system dari tempahan meja makan ke fitting room rules. Tak campur lagi masalah bahasa, masalah pronunciation, train schedule and exits, hal makanan, salah beli groceries, khidmat penghantaran barang, on how to use a chopstick and all- memang bersimpati sangat. But somehow penulis ceritakan pengalaman dia dengan ritma ...more
Elizabeth
I love Japan. I have traveled Japan, studied Japan, and thoroughly enjoyed all things Japanese. I got this book from the library after a quick perusal at the bookstore. Karen Pond is a good anecdotal writer, and the "Fish out of Water" genre is pretty entertaining.

This is a short book, a fun read, a quick read, and a book I wish I could give 3.5 stars to. There were some things I appreciated and some things that inexplicably bothered me.

What I appreciated:

I remember feeling very ignorant and awk
Sakura Yue Michaelis
It is so funny to discover new and strange things about Japan. Or just to read about them. Some things I've already known, like the pedicure with the fish. Or the onsen. Others, like the little thing you have to wear when you are in a department store was totally new. Japan is so different from anything I know. Which is the reason why a book about Japan will never, EVER, be boring.

What I did not like about this book was the "humor" of the author. I feel like she was trying to hard to be funny. S
Christine
Okay, so as a person currently living in Japan who also happens to be an American, I found this book to be pretty apt at summarizing (mostly) what it's like to live here as a foreign citizen. The bits about standing in queues (lines) and learning about different customs for events like weddings was particularly funny to me as I find myself immersed in those activities quite often (not always by choice).

The illustrations are actually pretty well done, too and fit the tone of this lighthearted boo
Pamela Huxtable
Pond takes a lighhearted look at her own faux pas and the struggle between her Maine sensibility and the sometimes inexplicable and complicated Japanese culture. Pond takes us grocery shopping, to her language lessons, and on the subways of Tokyo, always managing to find the humor as she fumbles words and customs.Many of these essays are magazine pieces, previously published in Japan.

Standout essays for me include Pond's initial attempt at eating edamame, and the chewing chewing chewing of the o
Rebecca
I read this book in one afternoon!! It is very funny and a great read!! I am a little biased, as my cousin Karen is the author, but it is still fantastic! She is a very good writer and the stories are all something I thing we can all relate to! A great book for a rainy afternoon!
Maisarah
A witty inside view of what it is like to live in metropolitan Tokyo for the first time. Tons of common Japanese conversation phrases also are included.
Jill
This book was written by a friend of mine from Tokyo. Clever, witty and really funny! it brought back so many memories of my time in Tokyo.
Steve O
As a coffee table book, it reads easily and enjoyably. As a guide to Japan, I wished it went beyond simple anecdotes and witticisms.
Julie
Quick and easy read. It was alright. I gave it 3 stars because it made me laugh a few times. Very piece-meal.
Anya
A collection of short essays telling about one mother's blunders as she adjusts to her new life in Japan.
Kristine Dyer
Fantastic, hilarious and completely relatable. A must read for foreigners living in Japan!
Airaology
This is just jam packed with hilarity. A great quick read !

Sumamisen
Mary Jane
Mary Jane marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Allen
Allen marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Merrilyn Huang
Merrilyn Huang marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Lisa Hills
Lisa Hills marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Sarah added it
Aug 17, 2014
Pdoe
Pdoe marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Rosemary
Rosemary marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014