Start by marking “Getting Genki in Japan: The Adventures and Misadventures of an American Family in Tokyo” as Want to Read:

The unexpected gift of a favored bottle of shiraz from her husband leads to the adventure of a lifetime for "Karen Pond" and her family--moving from rural Maine to the largest city in the world: Tokyo, Japan.
"Getting Genki in Japan" is a collection of illustrated essays and musings of a Down East Mom's absurd and exhilarating adventures in the Far East. From bewildered an
Published August 1st 2012 by Tuttle Publishing (first published May 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Genki in Japan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Genki in Japan

Moby F.
Jan 17, 2013 Moby F. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Tak sangka aku akan bagi 4 bintang untuk buku ini. Menarik, lucu dan kasihan dengan pengalaman penulis yang terpaksa hidup di negara asing, dan Jepun yang punya some sort of unique system dari tempahan meja makan ke fitting room rules. Tak campur lagi masalah bahasa, masalah pronunciation, train schedule and exits, hal makanan, salah beli groceries, khidmat penghantaran barang, on how to use a chopstick and all- memang bersimpati sangat. But somehow penulis ceritakan pengalaman dia dengan ritma ...more
Jul 18, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A bunch of culture-shock vignettes by a woman who's moved to Japan--I liked the self-deprecating tone and the ability to see oneself as the strange one and not just focus on Japanese culture as alien.
Elizabeth
I love Japan. I have traveled Japan, studied Japan, and thoroughly enjoyed all things Japanese. I got this book from the library after a quick perusal at the bookstore. Karen Pond is a good anecdotal writer, and the "Fish out of Water" genre is pretty entertaining.

This is a short book, a fun read, a quick read, and a book I wish I could give 3.5 stars to. There were some things I appreciated and some things that inexplicably bothered me.

What I appreciated:

I remember feeling very ignorant and awk
Leslie
Jul 28, 2016 Leslie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Despite my bad rating I really enjoyed this book. But not for the right reasons. I enjoyed it like you can enjoy a ridiculously bad movie. Yes this book was bad. The woman telling her story is completely retarded. Now don't get me wrong, I understand (for having done it myself) that living in a foreign country with a complete different language and culture can be hard. But everywhere in the world there is a thing called common sense. And this woman has a serious lack of it. Now some could argue ...more
Canesgalactica
Apr 14, 2013 Canesgalactica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so as a person currently living in Japan who also happens to be an American, I found this book to be pretty apt at summarizing (mostly) what it's like to live here as a foreign citizen. The bits about standing in queues (lines) and learning about different customs for events like weddings was particularly funny to me as I find myself immersed in those activities quite often (not always by choice).

The illustrations are actually pretty well done, too and fit the tone of this lighthearted boo
Yue
It is so funny to discover new and strange things about Japan. Or just to read about them. Some things I've already known, like the pedicure with the fish. Or the onsen. Others, like the little thing you have to wear when you are in a department store was totally new. Japan is so different from anything I know. Which is the reason why a book about Japan will never, EVER, be boring.

What I did not like about this book was the "humor" of the author. I feel like she was trying to hard to be funny. S
Pamela Huxtable
Pond takes a lighhearted look at her own faux pas and the struggle between her Maine sensibility and the sometimes inexplicable and complicated Japanese culture. Pond takes us grocery shopping, to her language lessons, and on the subways of Tokyo, always managing to find the humor as she fumbles words and customs.Many of these essays are magazine pieces, previously published in Japan.

Standout essays for me include Pond's initial attempt at eating edamame, and the chewing chewing chewing of the o
Maria
Pond moved with her family to Tokyo and these are some of the very funny stories about mispronunciations, getting lost, trying new things and learning as you go.

Why I started this book: Having made the move to Japan myself, I was looking for shared experiences, advice and good ideas.

Why I finished it: I was laughing out loud at various points of the book. Pond shows that while "Tokyo is not for the timid" being a fish out of water can lead to some pretty nice surprises. And when they aren't nice
David L. Carroll
Just finished reading Getting Genki in Japan

A lot of funny stuff in this book that I'd recommend that folks feeling out of place in Japan read to help them see the humorous side of things that they may be finding frustrating while living in Japan. Japan's a wonderful place to live if you just take the time to immerse yourself in the culture and venture outside your comfort zone. We loved our times in Japan (2 assignments at Yokota Air Base, Japan)!
Beatrice
Jun 08, 2016 Beatrice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was bordering on a three star book, but some of the anecdotes here ticked me off. I understand that this is a humor book (and I did find parts of it funny), but I was reading some of her stories in disbelief. Some research on the country goes a long way.
Rebecca
Jul 30, 2012 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in one afternoon!! It is very funny and a great read!! I am a little biased, as my cousin Karen is the author, but it is still fantastic! She is a very good writer and the stories are all something I thing we can all relate to! A great book for a rainy afternoon!
Maisarah
Aug 28, 2012 Maisarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A witty inside view of what it is like to live in metropolitan Tokyo for the first time. Tons of common Japanese conversation phrases also are included.
Jill
Aug 15, 2012 Jill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was written by a friend of mine from Tokyo. Clever, witty and really funny! it brought back so many memories of my time in Tokyo.
Steve O
May 28, 2013 Steve O rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japan
As a coffee table book, it reads easily and enjoyably. As a guide to Japan, I wished it went beyond simple anecdotes and witticisms.
Julie
Oct 03, 2012 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick and easy read. It was alright. I gave it 3 stars because it made me laugh a few times. Very piece-meal.
Brandon
Brandon rated it it was ok
May 23, 2015
Wendy
Wendy rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2013
Mehak
Mehak rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2014
Alicia Choo
Alicia Choo rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2013
Bernie
Bernie rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2014
yukoxoxo2000
yukoxoxo2000 rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2015
Naho Kikuchi
Naho Kikuchi rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2012
AP
AP rated it it was ok
Oct 18, 2013
Sana
Sana rated it liked it
May 26, 2015
Goh Zhi
Goh Zhi rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2013
Maryam
Maryam rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2012
Kristine Dyer
Jul 18, 2012 Kristine Dyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic, hilarious and completely relatable. A must read for foreigners living in Japan!
Minnu
Minnu rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2017
Lisa Reads
Lisa Reads rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2015
Christine Carlson
Christine Carlson rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2016