Start by marking “The Last Season” as Want to Read:
The Last Season

The Last Season

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Felix Batterinski grew up tough in Northern Ontario where hockey was the only way out of a life of grinding poverty. He got out and enjoyed fame as a hockey "enforcer" for the Philadelphia Flyers. But fame is fleeting.

Now in his thirties and at the end of his playing career, Felix tries to make a go of it as a player-coach for a Finnish club. As the lone Canadian on the te...more
Published November 24th 2012 by Dundurn Group (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Season

Lesley
Thought it fitting to read a hockey book at the start of hockey season, I wasn't quite expecting this deep and dark storyline though, be ready for the ending, I wasn't expecting it to go quite like that. Based on a fictional character but I can see how it might reflect the lives of the tough guys.
Kevin Gallan
the best hockey book i have ever read...a must read for anyone interested in what is was like to be a player in the 70's,before the big money came along...touched on things that later came out about eagleson and the players pension...this book will make you laugh as well as angry...no one in this book comes out looking good ,they all need a good kick in the ass...read it you won't be sorry
Michael
Wonderful. Disturbing. Beautifully written. It's a dark dramatic masterpiece wrapped tightly around a typical Canadian coming of age story. The ending was so abrupt, so unexpected, but at the same time made so much sense than I felt dumb for not expecting it. I have no idea how I came to possess this novel but I'm glad I did. Incredible.
Robert
A look at the life of a fictional itinerant hockey bruiser in the 60's 70's and 80's; The Last Season is a sports novel blended with a tale of Generational strife right out of Tolstoy. Unlike anything I've ever read before.
Marta Warner
The quintessential Canadian hockey novel. Written 30 years ago, but still as relevant and compelling today as ever. Easy to sink into. You won't want it to end.
Ms Hiltz AHSS LLC
Ms Hiltz AHSS LLC marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Oscar
Oscar marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
William F Sullivan
William F Sullivan marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Ben Mcgill
Ben Mcgill marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Bruce Wolanin
Bruce Wolanin marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Steve Chanin
Steve Chanin marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
David Hearn
David Hearn marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2013
Maciek
Maciek marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2013
Areli
Areli marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2013
Ryan
Ryan is currently reading it
Jul 09, 2013
ROY MACGREGOR was named a media inductee to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2012, when he was given the Elmer Ferguson Award for excellence in hockey journalism. He has been involved in hockey all his life, from playing all-star hockey in Huntsville, Ontario, against the likes of Bobby Orr from nearby Parry Sound, to coaching, and he is still playing old-timers hockey in Ottawa, where he lives with his...more
More about Roy MacGregor...
Canoe Lake Mystery at Lake Placid (Screech Owls, #1) Northern Light: The Enduring Mystery of Tom Thomson and the Woman Who Loved Him The Highest Number in the World The Night They Stole the Stanley Cup (Screech Owls, #2)