Start by marking “I Quit Sugar” as Want to Read:
I Quit Sugar

I Quit Sugar

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  709 Ratings  ·  107 Reviews
A practical week-by-week guide for quitting sugar - and getting you clean, clear and lighter!
Sarah Wilson is a high-profile Australian TV and magazine journalist, as well as a health coach, and her 8-week program draws on her personal journey (through hypoglycemia and auto-immune disease) as well as tips and research from the best experts around the world.
I Quit Sugar in
Published December 23rd 2014 by Ebookit.com (first published February 28th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about I Quit Sugar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Quit Sugar

Averil
Jul 15, 2013 Averil rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Real Rating: 2.5 stars.

The recipes and pictures are all gorgeous looking and inspiring, using all the kinds of whole food, clean eating ingredients I adore. I think Sarah Wilson's science is extremely light on though. A few brief, unattributed mentions here and there of 'science says this' or 'studies show' is pretty weak for such a big book. I am one reader who, after years of whole food eating and addictive health-book-reading, just doesn't buy into the hysterical, uber trendy 'fructose is evi
Shelby Reap
May 26, 2014 Shelby Reap rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Changed my life. There are some bits that I'd change. I wish that during the detox she had advised no alcohol. Robert Lustig, the doctor and author of Fat Chance, does a great job explaining the science behind why fructose is not good for us. He says that wine goes into you system just like sugar. SO if you are trying to kick the sugar habit don't drink. After the detox is over if you want to drink treat it like your dessert. I think that is sound advice. Also I took the no sugar literally. You ...more
May 27, 2014 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
I have another idea. I’m going to quit this book. I am so sick of the contradictory advice, and I’m also sick of the inflammatory ideas.

Firstly, if you’re going to write a book boasting about how you’ve quit sugar, you should probably have actually quit sugar. If you’re still eating foods that are up to 6% sugar, then you’ve not actually quit. Considering that the author of this book claims to be a sugar addict, the way other people are addicted to alcohol, alcoholics don’t get sober only to hav
Natalie
Jul 21, 2014 Natalie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
At first, I thought I liked this book. It's pretty and short and simple. But then I realized it's actually *too* simple. When I went back through to apply what I was supposed to do week-by-week to quit sugar, I was confused. It's really not very clear like it "supposed" to be. I am still confused on what I can - and cannot - eat throughout the plan. Plus, the recipes are a little too extreme for my liking. I hesitate any time someone advocates the unending use of any ingredient be it honey, mapl ...more
Bina
Aug 02, 2013 Bina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Simple & easy to understand explanations. The photographs of the food are amazing. My only criticism would be that most recipes have meat & dairy in them. Being allergic to dairy there were many things I couldn't try. Also more vegan & vegetarian recipes needed. Have yet to try the detox plan. But I admit, just by quitting sugars/refined carbs (white flour products, white rice) I lost 10kgs !
78sunny
Die Aufmachung ist wirklich klasse - sehr modern und ansprechend.

Der erste Teil befasst sich sehr ausführlich mit der Einstellung der Autorin zum Thema Zucker. Sie beschreibt wie ihre Ausgangsposition war, als sie sich entschloss Zucker so gut wie komplett zu vermeiden. Es war in etwa so, wie ich momentan zu Zucker stehe. Das heißt sie benutzte keinen Haushaltszucker sondern nur Alternativen. Doch dann hat sie alles radikal umgestellt. Nun verzichtete sie nicht nur auf Industriezucker sondern sc
Aussie Jo
Quite possibly the best book I have ever purchased. I devoured this book over a year ago and it changed me slightly but had a massive impact on me. Not one for fads or diets, and constantly trying to 'healthy up' recipes I loved the book and read it cover to cover. Reading a book like this can spin your head a bit and all of a sudden you have a bit of a panic on what to eat. My advise was to follow the baby steps rule. I started with one recipe and added.
Admittedly before I even laid eyes on th
Laura Hughes
Sep 18, 2014 Laura Hughes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: how-to
My doctor recently suggested I cut out sugar (for reasons unrelated to weight, although I'm also trying to get in shape), and I initially dismissed it as "eh, I don't eat that much sugar compared to other people," but after doing some research, I decided to try it for real. To help me keep my resolve, I read this short but inspiring from-experience guide to the how's and why's of a sugar-free diet. I love its natural, friend-conspiring-in-you voice, the Australianisms (example of junk food: Tim ...more
Noema
Jun 05, 2015 Noema rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Inspirational, but not enough content to be an actual book. Basically, this is just a couple of blog entries strung together with some graphic design to fill up the white space.

Also, the research is pretty thin, and in some cases actually misleading--there is a wide body of research on the dietary effects of sugar and the development of metabolic disorders, but she didn't seem to want to do any actual research.
Catherine
Jul 31, 2013 Catherine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really did not like it, although the recipes did look good and the presentation is enticing, the food was dreadful!
Maile
Jul 09, 2015 Maile rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this book has its foibles, I still recommend giving it a read. I followed the 8-week "sugar detox diet" and I would actually recommend it for most people. I felt like I had an unhealthy relationship with sugar and I was on a neverending spike-crash-spike-crash cycle that affected my moods, energy levels, and general wellness. This book gave me some tools to break that cycle.

My partner does not have an unhealthy relationship with sugar, is in good health generally, and does not need to los
Esha
Oct 27, 2014 Esha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If there were such a thing as the coconut lobby Sarah Wilson would be there president. What a load of crap!
As an Islander (Fijian) it's infuriating to see people jump on the coconut bandwagon without any research. We've had the product all this time do we use it on everything? Hell no. It's fattening and best used as a fruit not for it's oil qualities, we use the oil on bodies and hair!!

I don't understand why this book is so highly revered. It's dangerous.

Quit fruit and drink full fat milk? E
Mark
Aug 06, 2014 Mark rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Let's start with this book is gorgeously produced. The pictures are incredible and the recipes, for the most part, are clear and fairly easy to follow. As I was recently advised to lose weight and reduce my sugar intake, I was very interested in this book I was extremely disappointed. The problem I have with the book is with her message, which based on my research and discussion with several doctors and dietitians, is dangerously wrong. There is nothing wrong with all sugar. Whole fruit is a ver ...more
Ramona
Jul 14, 2015 Ramona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good book to read, and enjoy. Educational too,and full of very nice recipes. Would recommend this to someone trying to getting healthy !
Gina
This book is downright awful. There are good forms of sugar and bad forms of sugar. I feel so angry at the writer for spreading the wrong message telling people fruit is bad for you! Fruit is a perfect whole food and many people thrive eating a fruit and vegetable based diet. If you read the book 80/10/10 by Dr Douglas Graham, you'll realize that fruit sugar is amazing for the body. I myself have experienced the wonders of a fruit-filled diet without the processed meat and dairy. Sarah Wilson me ...more
Trisha
I didn't read this book because I wanted to quit sugar, but more so I could get an idea for cutting back in a way that didn't seem too over the top and just for the sake of learning a bit. For the most part, the recipes (which are about 50% of the book) were pretty reasonable as far as finding ingredients in your local grocery store. I can't speak for the accuracy of the author's claims that fructose is bad, but if cutting it out worked for her that's great.
The one thing I didn't like is that t
Judith
Oct 14, 2015 Judith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I somehow got started reading a weekly online newsletter by this author and eventually got interested enough to check out one of her (many) books. Personally, I feel like I am a sugar addict and I am working on gradually getting sugar out of my life. Sugar might not be bad for everyone, but for me, the more sugar I eat, the more I want, and I don't see that it has any redeeming qualities beyond the temporary rush it provides.

So this book is perfect for my current needs. It's contains a lot of r
Amber
Dec 20, 2013 Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was super interesting and a quick read. It inspired me to take on the "experiment" as Sarah calls it and give up sugar for 8 weeks. I am almost done week 1 and can already tell my energy levels are higher! I want to read her cook book next and this is definitely a book I'll refer to in the future.
Ally
Jun 23, 2014 Ally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I'm a big fan of Sarah Wilson, I've been following her blog {www.sarahwilson.com} for quite some time as I love her honest posts and dealings with living with an auto-immune disease. So when I first saw her I Quit Sugar ebook come out I was tempted to buy it but not sure it was for me. Now it's actually available worldwide and in book format and at such a reasonable price it was something I couldn't turn down! While I felt that I Quit Sugar had some great recipes and would provide some help alon ...more
Karen
Feb 09, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting. Similar info to David Gillespie's 'Sweet Poison' books. She includes a no-nonsense plan that's sensible and (hopefully) easy to follow. Feeling better already!
Claire
Some interesting things in here, some confusing ones as well. I understand where she's going with this and it's clearly worked for her but it may not work for everyone.
Shannon
Jan 22, 2012 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nutrition
Really enjoyed how honest she was, how calmly she went about first reducing the sugar in her diet and finally eliminating it over 8 weeks. Quick, informative read.
Jennie
Apr 29, 2014 Jennie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a must buy for me.

I thought this would be a book about sugar additives; sorbitol, sucralose, etc., instead it talks about sugar content of things you wouldn't believe. Apple juice and coke having the same amount of sugar? Yup.

Before you make any extreme diet changes, talk to your doctor and run it by them first.

Avocado and Chocolate Mousse, Lavender Ice Cream, Raspberry Ripple, just to name a few sweet treats. I can't wait to try Meal-In-A-Cracker, something new.

The rustic looking photos
Marj
Jan 05, 2014 Marj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, w, cook-books
Very sensible. And I will give it a go. After I have dealt with the Easter bunnies gifts!
Becki Iverson
Jun 19, 2015 Becki Iverson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I knew little about Sarah Wilson prior to reading this, but I'm not surprised I enjoyed I Quit Sugar as much as I did. This seems like another silly blog-based "health" book with skeptical health qualifications, but there's a lot to it. I don't know that Wilson is 'officially' endorsed to give health advice, but the information in her book is sound, accessible, and un-daunting, which is high praise for a task - like quitting sugar completely - that can seem 100% impossible.

There are a LOT of in
Kym Kettler-paddock
I enjoyed Sarah's approach to quitting sugar. As she states upfront, she isn't quitting all sugars, just fructose. And even then, she does eat some fructose when it comes as part of a whole fruit.

I understood her plan, and I have started reading labels for sugar as I reduce the amount that my family consumes ( I've cut most fructose out of my diet).

I've only tried a few recipes, but the alternative version of peanut butter cups was delicious! That recipe has inspired me to make my own raw choco
Alicia
Mar 27, 2013 Alicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd seen this e-book on Pinterest a few times. My immediate thoughts were "Yeah, good for you. No way in Hell I'd be able to do this." I don't know what sparked my recent decision to look it up again, but I did and decided to download it.

She recommends reading the entire thing first to familiarize yourself with the program, and then start with Week 1, so that's what I did. I started on Monday (today is Wednesday) and I'm excited, yet nervous. I know quitting sugar is going to be wonderful for my
Aug 17, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Wilson outlines her plan for quitting refined sugar. I downloaded it as an ebook, and the only issues I had with the book were publishing ones. There were a few typos, and the ebook wasn't made to be read on the Kindle well. Would have been better on the Fire or Nook color, since it had colored text in parts, which showed up light in the Kindle version. Also contained links which would have been better with a tablet. So maybe it was made for an iPad, not sure....in any case, the actual content w ...more
Krystallina Paramithi
Very good book. I've been doing my research about sugar, through the internet, for about a year. I have found lots of important information but I was missing the "plan". The first time I quitted, I had no idea what I should be eating and did lots of mistakes (and learnt a lot). This book helped me so much with the 8 week program. It also helped with the ok I quit but what am I doing with the kid issue. Now, I feel more confident to try this again.

Also, there are vegan recipes and easily veganis
Mafalda Fernandes
Although the reviews we're quite controversial on this book I decided to pick it up and read it, to see if there was something relevant to me. In general it has some interesting information, however I don't think this sort of diet it's appropriate for everybody.It isn't for me. It has a recurring problem I've seen in many books about diets, they only focus on one thing, in this case is eliminate sugar and tell you to substitutive it with proteins and fat. The writing sometimes is a bit confusing ...more
I Quit Sugar 1 13 Jul 26, 2013 09:56PM
  • Sweet Poison, Why Sugar Makes Us Fat
  • OMG. That's Paleo?
  • The Longevity Kitchen: Satisfying, Big-Flavor Recipes Featuring the Top 16 Age-Busting Power Foods
  • Real Life Paleo: 175 Gluten-Free Recipes, Meal Ideas, and an Easy 3-Phased Approach to Lose Weight & Gain Health
  • Gluten-Free Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day
  • The French Market Cookbook: Vegetarian Recipes from My Parisian Kitchen
  • Candida Free Cookbook: 125 Recipes to Beat Candida and Live Yeast Free
  • The 21-Day Sugar Detox: Bust Sugar & Carb Cravings Naturally
  • Baked Doughnuts For Everyone: From Sweet to Savory to Everything in Between, 101 Delicious Recipes, All Gluten-Free
  • Stephanie Alexander's Kitchen Garden Companion
  • The Princess Plan: Shrink Your Waist. Expand Your Beauty.
  • Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook
  • Crazy Sexy Juice: 100+ Simple Juice, Smoothie & Nut Milk Recipes to Supercharge Your Health
  • Tout Soul: The Pursuit of Happiness in Rural France
  • Everyday Detox: 100 Easy Recipes to Remove Toxins, Promote Gut Health, and Lose Weight Naturally
  • Fast, Fresh, & Green
  • Maggie's Harvest
  • The Runner's World Cookbook: 150 Recipes to Help You Lose Weight, Run Better, and Race Faster