Start by marking “A Return to Cooking” as Want to Read:
A Return to Cooking

A Return to Cooking

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The greatest work by one of the world's most renowned chefs—returns in paperback.

Spontaneous meals at home with friends form the foundation of this dazzling collection of recipes that are easy enough for novices yet so inspired they could be restaurant-worthy. The result of a rare sabbatical from this famed chef's 4-star kitchen, A Return to Cooking is "an unprecedented lo
Published November 4th 2002 by Artisan

To ask other readers questions about A Return to Cooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Return to Cooking

What a great book.I was up until 3:00 am reading and re reading it.Ripert,chef,co-owner of Le Bernadin began taking on more management and development duties.Not so much cooking.
So this is his return to cooking.Not in the restaurant,but traveling with friends and really cooking with whatever he finds locally.Cooking for fun and love,not the back breaking,mind numbing of a professional kitchen.
Walking down a beach harvesting cockles sounds like a lot more fun than sweating your ass off all night.
There are lots of good things about this book. The joy in the food is palpable, the writing is great. However, the recipes themselves leave a lot to be desired in terms of actual instruction on cooking technique. Friends and I made a dinner out of the book yesterday and everything came out well, but we're all pretty accomplished cooks who used knowledge from outside the book.
Kevin Wong
Recipes are so good. I've just recently started revisiting them
As interesting to look at as Ruhlman and Keller's French Laundry Cookbook, but without the latter's ivory tower tone.

Ripert is a fascinating chef; his recipes and palpable inspiration are things even a beginner can benefit from. The book's lavish photography and great layout doesn't hurt either.
A truly inspiring chef, his place down the street from my job closed before I had a chance to go. Not many cooks out there make me feel like I'm rediscovering how foods can work, and in inventive new combinations. Wayne Nish of March comes to mind too... not sure if he's got a book though.
beautiful book--the food photography and the artwork are fabulous. But it's not just a coffee table book--there are some terrific recipes and the discussion about the food and the various cuisines are informative and fun.
A gorgeous collection of recipes from a man I know courtesy of Bravo's Top Chef. Nonetheless, most of the selections do not appeal to my personal tastes but this is a nice cookbook.
Beautiful photographs and practically poetic text.
Kathryn Prine
Kathryn Prine marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Angelia marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Josh marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Michaela marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Michael Laney
Michael Laney marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Grace added it
Sep 04, 2015
Tim Schafer
Tim Schafer marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Robert marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Christophe Cappelli
Christophe Cappelli marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Trevor marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Theresa Blackman
Theresa Blackman marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Kriss Loughman
Kriss Loughman marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Renato is currently reading it
Apr 22, 2015
Adrienne marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
  • Seductions of Rice
  • Alinea
  • Becoming a Chef
  • Culinaria Italy
  • Cradle of Flavor: Home Cooking from the Spice Islands of Indonesia, Singapore, and Malaysia
  • Le Cordon Bleu's Complete Cooking Techniques: The Indispensable Reference Demonstates over 700 Illustrated Techniques with 2,000 Photos and 200 Recipes
  • Spice: Flavors of the Eastern Mediterranean
  • Authentic Mexican 20th Anniversary Ed: Regional Cooking from the Heart of Mexico
  • Washoku: Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen
  • The Family Meal: Home Cooking with Ferran Adrià
  • Izakaya: The Japanese Pub Cookbook
  • My Last Supper: 50 Great Chefs and Their Final Meals / Portraits, Interviews, and Recipes
Eric Ripert is grateful for his early exposure to two cuisines—that of Antibes, France, where he was born, and of Andorra, a small country just over the Spanish border, where he moved as a young child. His family instilled their own passion for food in the young Ripert, and at the age of 15, he left home to attend culinary school in Perpignan. At 17, he moved to Paris and cooked at the legendary L ...more
More about Eric Ripert...
On the Line Avec Eric: A Culinary Journey with Eric Ripert My Best: Eric Ripert Le Bernardin Cookbook: Four-Star Simplicity Untitled Memoir