Start by marking “A Return to Cooking” as Want to Read:
A Return to Cooking

A Return to Cooking

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The greatest work by one of the world's most renowned chefs—returns in paperback.

Spontaneous meals at home with friends form the foundation of this dazzling collection of recipes that are easy enough for novices yet so inspired they could be restaurant-worthy. The result of a rare sabbatical from this famed chef's 4-star kitchen, A Return to Cooking is "an unprecedented lo
Published November 4th 2002 by Artisan

To ask other readers questions about A Return to Cooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Return to Cooking

Mike
What a great book.I was up until 3:00 am reading and re reading it.Ripert,chef,co-owner of Le Bernadin began taking on more management and development duties.Not so much cooking.
So this is his return to cooking.Not in the restaurant,but traveling with friends and really cooking with whatever he finds locally.Cooking for fun and love,not the back breaking,mind numbing of a professional kitchen.
Walking down a beach harvesting cockles sounds like a lot more fun than sweating your ass off all night.
Beverly
There are lots of good things about this book. The joy in the food is palpable, the writing is great. However, the recipes themselves leave a lot to be desired in terms of actual instruction on cooking technique. Friends and I made a dinner out of the book yesterday and everything came out well, but we're all pretty accomplished cooks who used knowledge from outside the book.
stew
As interesting to look at as Ruhlman and Keller's French Laundry Cookbook, but without the latter's ivory tower tone.

Ripert is a fascinating chef; his recipes and palpable inspiration are things even a beginner can benefit from. The book's lavish photography and great layout doesn't hurt either.
Tony
A truly inspiring chef, his place down the street from my job closed before I had a chance to go. Not many cooks out there make me feel like I'm rediscovering how foods can work, and in inventive new combinations. Wayne Nish of March comes to mind too... not sure if he's got a book though.
Kate
beautiful book--the food photography and the artwork are fabulous. But it's not just a coffee table book--there are some terrific recipes and the discussion about the food and the various cuisines are informative and fun.
A gorgeous collection of recipes from a man I know courtesy of Bravo's Top Chef. Nonetheless, most of the selections do not appeal to my personal tastes but this is a nice cookbook.
Lauren
Beautiful photographs and practically poetic text.
Kriss Loughman
Kriss Loughman marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Renato
Renato is currently reading it
Apr 22, 2015
Adrienne
Adrienne marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Emily Raup
Emily Raup marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Carol Barger
Carol Barger marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Sherry
Sherry added it
Feb 14, 2015
Subahdar
Subahdar marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Katie Simer
Katie Simer marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Pinky
Pinky marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Marianthi
Marianthi marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
  • Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table
  • Bouchon
  • The Babbo Cookbook
  • The Complete Robuchon
  • The Elements of Cooking: Translating the Chef's Craft for Every Kitchen
  • Culinaria Italy
  • HomeBaking: The Artful Mix of Flour and Traditions from Around the World
  • Cradle of Flavor: Home Cooking from the Spice Islands of Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore
  • Spice: Flavors of the Eastern Mediterranean
  • My Last Supper: 50 Great Chefs and Their Final Meals / Portraits, Interviews, and Recipes
  • Authentic Mexican 20th Anniversary Ed: Regional Cooking from the Heart of Mexico
  • Land of Plenty: A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking
  • Washoku: Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen
  • Alinea
  • Chez Panisse Fruit
  • How to Roast a Lamb: New Greek Classic Cooking
  • Culinaria: Germany
  • Breakfast, Lunch, Tea
Eric Ripert is grateful for his early exposure to two cuisines—that of Antibes, France, where he was born, and of Andorra, a small country just over the Spanish border, where he moved as a young child. His family instilled their own passion for food in the young Ripert, and at the age of 15, he left home to attend culinary school in Perpignan. At 17, he moved to Paris and cooked at the legendary L ...more
More about Eric Ripert...
On the Line Avec Eric: A Culinary Journey with Eric Ripert My Best: Eric Ripert Le Bernardin Cookbook: Four-Star Simplicity Manresa: An Edible Reflection