Start by marking “Pistols for Two” as Want to Read:
Pistols for Two

Georgette Heyer

Pistols for Two

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  2,049 ratings  ·  128 reviews
"Sparkling ... The stories run the gamut from cloak-and-dagger to whimsical-comedy."
-Best Sellers
"A delightful assortment."
-Library Journal
Intrigue, elegance, and glittering romance...
In eleven charming short stories, the Queen of Regency romance presents an exquisite romp through affairs of honor and affairs of the heart. Featuring rakes and rascals, orphans and heirs
Published February 1st 2012 by Sourcebooks Casablanca (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Pistols for Two, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pistols for Two

honestly mem
So the thing about Georgette Heyer's romances is this: I like them, but I have to space the fuckers out. She's really only got like eight characters, and only two kinds of romantic heroes (the scandalous rake, usually lots older than the heroine, and the rarer dandy), and her stories all seem to follow the same beats, so if I go straight from one Heyer romance to another, it's impossible to ignore the creative recycling, which I can only bear if I can ignore it.

I had the same sort of problem wi
Trine
Whenever I need a Georgette Heyer fixs but don't have time for a full novel, I grab this delightful collection of short stories. Of course GH is at her best when there is time to develop her characters and all the wonderful side plots, so a short story will never show her at her best. But it is fun to see her toying with ideas and characters she has either abandoned in earlier books or want to explore before reusing in later books. It is amazing how many plans for Gretna Green there can be in on ...more
Arlie
Yes, two Georgette Heyers in a few days. What can I say? It was a stressful week. Such a lovely way to relax.
Sakura Yue Michaelis
I know that LMM and GH are two different authors that barely have things in common: one was inspired in little towns set in Canada, the other in Regency era set in Great Britain. But this book is certainly a "Kindred Spirit", and has a resemblance to the short stories I enjoy reading so much, written by LMM. All stories are wonderfully narrated; it was like reading a whole book and not just a short story. The characters were all likeable, and, as expected from GH, her heroes are the word in fash ...more
kris
3.5 stars.

Heyer has a small pot from which she collects her characters. The humble, witty spinster with laughing eyes; the naive, big-eyed waif; the sporty, devil-take-it Corinthian (usually 'swarthy'); the handsome, hiding-hidden-depths Dandy, the young bucks; and the prone to spasms, overwrought mother.

Basically, Pistols for Two is a mix and match collection.

But what keeps Heyer from seeming too formulaic is her skill with a well-placed plot-twist. In "Hazard," a gentleman wakes up hungover i
Tweety
I think maybe a 4 1/2

All the stories are fun frolics but some are better than others. The best were A Clandestine Affair, Bath Miss, To Have the Honor, Hazard and Full Moon. Hazard was very good and Full Moon has become a Favorite of mine.

Swears are few and far between, (D's) . On a plus there is no violence, other than some talk of fisticuffs and nothing detailed. And unlike most Georgette Heyer books there is no talk of mistresses. All of the stories were clean. If you have a problem with m
Rrshively
When I discovered this was a book of short stories instead of a novel, I was prepared to be disappointed, but there was no disappointment here. The stories were well-crafted and contained all of the elements of a good short story. Each story engaged me as a reader, led me through a complete story, and ended surprisingly or cleverly. Many of them contained some of the motifs found in Ms. Heyer's other novels. Just as a sketch of a small part of a Da Vinci painting can be extremely valuable at auc ...more
Nenya
PISTOLS FOR TWO
5 star
story about two boys, friends since young, now quarreling over a girl (who is marrying someone else). sweet, fun story

A CLANDESTINE AFFAIR
1 star
meh. some misunderstanding 12 years ago. H reproaches h, h says "it's not like you haven't had consolation", H goes "yeah, but i didn't marry any of them", then they make up. oh, and their niece and nephew are in love, which is what brought them together now.

BATH MISS
4 stars
rather questionable (morals, intentions) ... all 3 of them a
Zan
Ok, so clearly I've been reading a TON of Georgette Heyer lately. Don't judge. It's a combination of free ebooks (so many books!) and celebratory end-of-semester, nearly-finished-with-the-dissertation, I'm-not-getting-off-this-couch madness that urges me to take a break from any literature that forces me to think. And all of her books fit the bill.

This collection of short stories is ultimately a summation of all her Regency plot lines in one fell swoop: Gretna Green elopements, dandies and Cori
Fiona Marsden
This is a lovely selection of shorts comprising what is in effect of sampler of her work. Almost all the stories here are reminiscent of a full length story I've read.
Pistols for Two is the story or two young men who have a falling out over a very pretty playmate of their childhood. This could easily have occurred as a background for one of Heyer's romances with a smart corinthian and a demure young miss.
A Clandestine Affair is a reunion style with a mature couple brought together by the romance
Katerina
I like Georgette Heyer and I enjoy reading her books, but this one was a bit difficult. Firstly I admit it was a mistake not to read the back of the book. With the title "Pistols for two" I had the impression I had one her mysteries in my hands and not one of her romances. Wrong!!! So by the time I had accepted that mistake, the story was over. What? Then I notice it isn't one story but eleven of them. That was a bit too much. I enjoy her romances too but once I get into the story. In this case ...more
James
A collection of short Regency romances by Georgette Heyer. The stories are very predictable - as soon as the characters are introduced, the reader can guess who is going to end up with whom. But they're also cozy, well written with lovely use of period-appropriate language and descriptions. Although none of the stories were particularly memorable, they were a pleasant way to spend a few lazy hours.
Carrie
3* to 4* depending on the story.

This is a great little book to dip into when you have a few minutes and you want something light and fun. It's very light-weight, but the stories still have the charm so common in Heyer's writing. I have the Kindle version, and it was especially fun to take with me when I knew I had to sit and wait for a few minutes here or there while running errands or carpooling kids.
Janet
All sorts of Heyer plots are to be found here and many of them echo her longer length novels. A couple examples: The Corinthian, Bath Tangle, and Devil's Cub.
Darla
(Genre:Regency Romance Short Stories) 3 stars. So this is a fun little collection of short stories by Georgette Heyer that are pretty formulaic and predictable, but just what I needed--stories that were enjoyable and yet short enough that I could finish each one quickly (I haven't had a lot of spare reading time lately). And if I couldn't finish the story in one sitting, I didn't mind setting it down and returning to it later. I am not a huge fan of short stories in general, but it was nice to b ...more
Crystal
I'm not sure how I went so long without reading this collection. I think I saw the title, and assumed it was one of Heyer's murder mysteries, which I haven't read many of, instead of the collection of delightful little stories that it is. Yes, there are a few mysterious stories in here, one that was delightfully creepy, set in an out of the way, ramshackled old inn. I really enjoyed that one. I enjoyed them all, honestly, although I'll admit I didn't read the last two "stories", since they were ...more
Kira
Feb 28, 2012 Kira rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Heyer lovers
Pistols for Two reminds me of a box of chocolates, although unfortunately not in Forest Gump's sense. Each of the eleven stories in the anthology was a single bite, but I wanted more. They are so short that there is no time to fully develop the protagonists, much less to have any of the charming, vivid secondary characters for whom Heyer is famed.

Many of the plot lines familiar to readers of Regency romances appear, but I had no difficulty guessing the ending of each one. Why are a girl and her
A selection of short stories by Georgette Heyer. Showcases some of her stock characters and pairings, some of which (the older couple whose relationship didn't work out, the youngish widow and the wealthy man she hopes to catch for her daughter) were delightful and others (a variety of "innocent to the point of stupid young girl and notorious rake") were not as interesting.

The problem with short stories rather than the longer form novels Heyer is famous for is that so much Regency Romance hinges
Elizabeth
When I picked this ebook up from the library , I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was a series of short stories from Ms. Heyer. She applies that same command of language and understanding of the history and culture of Regency England to this anthology.

Although I am enjoying the stories, I have come close to DNF'ing the series. The stories are well written, but strangely I have found many of them too short. Each story seems to follow a similar arc, coming to a climax and then a very abru
Qourdapia Emmanuel
Most of these stories are very good plots for a novel and most of them were indeed variations of her novels' plots. There are 10 romances and one cloak and dagger but I want to talk about the 10 short romances. These, for me, left me wanting for more... so, if that is the object, then it definitely Worked!

One book to cuddle to when the power is out or during a rainy night or when feeling marooned on a sea of people... the problem is you would be left wanting for More!
Jessie
So I'd saved this Heyer beauty for last because I was skeptical of what she could do with short stories since I'm so enamored with her novels. Well, apparently, in my opinion, there's not much the late great Heyer cannot do to entertain me and take me away to another world which requires a lot more layers of underwear and a lot more manners than I possess. Yet every time I more than willingly fling myself onto the mail coach to travel to wherever she'll take me!
H
This collection of short stories was so fun and engaging. Toward the end it started feeling like I'd read the same story several different ways, but since I like that sort of story, it didn't bother me. I thought Heyer did a good job at keeping the stories short and to the point, but also keeping in line with her characteristic humor and likable characters. I think my favorites were "Bath Miss," "The Duel," and "Hazard," though they were all enjoyable.
Elderberrywine
Short stories! I didn't know Heyer did such a thing.

Well, they are all a delight - impulsive but impecunious young damsels, relations of all sorts who may be favorably disposed or not, and of course, the illustrious Tulips of Fashion.

And what would these tales be without the invaluable Gretna Green? Cheers to the town elders who came up with that singular claim to fame. The world would be a far dreary place without your cleverness, good sirs.
Elicia
This book is a collection of 11 short stories, some of them I enjoyed, others were okay. This book is good when you don't have much time to read but would still like the satisfaction of completing a story-line, especially if you already enjoy Georgette Heyer. It might also be a good book for someone just starting on Georgette Heyer to get a feel for the wording and flavor of her works in small doses to see if you'll like her style or not.
 Sara
Wonderful collection of the best parts of Heyer's work: funny character sketches and situations. Each short story stands alone. Only the very last one is an excerpt from one of her novels. if you haven't tried Heyer, this might be an excellent way to start. As usual with her, no sex of any sort in these, but lots of big words.
Phil Syphe
This collection features eleven short stories of light fiction set during England's regency period. The main themes are unwanted marriages, planned elopements to Gretna Green, and cross purposes.

'Night at the Inn' is quite different to the other stories, featuring two men and a lady - strangers to each other - staying at a dingy inn, run by a seemingly friendly couple. It is the darkest tale of the batch and had Ms Heyer decided to develop this into a novel it would probably be of the crime gen
Kate  K. F.
I keep discovering how much I love Georgette Heyer and this anthology of her short stories is her at her best. All of the characters are vibrant and fascinating with a wonderful sense of place to everything. Most of these tales move quickly usually involving a carriage ride to or from somewhere or an unexpected night. My favorite was Hazard which begins with a bad set up and turns into something good. Sadly some of the stories can be weak at times and easily forgettable but all of them are worth ...more
_inbetween_
Finally read this in OV as well, and finally found the elopment story that had eluded me both in Bath Tangle and Clare Darcy in A Clandestine Affair here (at least in part).

Even when reading this as a (very) young person I was always aware of the variety of heroes, heroines and pairings that Heyer created.
Modern genre novels have less plot and character in them than each of these short stories, which often seem like this novel or that of hers en miniature, but not quite.
The tropes Heyer uses and
  • Georgette Heyer's Regency World
  • Libby's London Merchant (Nesbitt, #1)
  • The Private World of Georgette Heyer
  • Deirdre and Don Juan (Lovers and Ladies, #6)
  • The Fortune Hunter (Lord Rival, #2)
  • A London Season (Regency Duo, #1)
  • Three Lords for Lady Anne
  • The Mammoth Book of Regency Romance
  • Irresistible (Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, #3)
  • Brighton Road
  • The Duke's Wager (Bessacarr, #1)
  • Mr. Malcolm's List
  • The Marquis Takes a Bride (Cotillion Regency Romance, #2) (Regency Royal, #2)
Georgette Heyer was an amazingly prolific writer who created the Regency England genre of romance novels.

Georgette Heyer was an intensely private person. A best-seller all her life without the aid of publicity, she made no appearances, never gave an interview, and only answered fan letters herself if they made an interesting historical point. Heyer wrote very well-researched historical fiction, fu
More about Georgette Heyer...
The Grand Sophy Frederica Arabella These Old Shades (Alastair, #1) Devil's Cub (Alastair, #2)