Start by marking “Sprig Muslin” as Want to Read:
Sprig Muslin

Sprig Muslin

3.74  ·  Rating Details ·  5,034 Ratings  ·  433 Reviews
A dashing man of honor...

En route to propose to his sensible acquaintance Lady Hester, Sir Gareth Ludlow finds young, pretty Amanda wandering unattended and knows it is his duty to bring her back to her family. This turns out to be a challenge as Amanda seems to possess an imagination as intriguing as it is dangerous.

A shocking refusal...

Lady Hester stuns both him and h
Published December 1st 2011 by Sourcebooks Casablanca (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Sprig Muslin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sprig Muslin

Richard Derus
Nov 14, 2011 Richard Derus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 3.5* of five

The Publisher Says: Finding so young and pretty a girl as Amanda wandering unattended, Sir Gareth Ludlow knows it is his duty as a man of honour to restore her to her family. But it is to prove no easy task for the Corinthian. His captive in spring muslin has more than her rapturous good looks and bandboxes to aid her - she is also possessed of a runaway imagination...

A typically enthralling historical novel, Sprig Muslin shows the skill which has kept Georgette Heyer a huge
Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕
4.5★

I enjoyed this charming romance a lot more this time around. I loved that (view spoiler)

I loved Hester's sweetly gentle character & I think the handsome & kind Sir Gareth Ludlow may be one of my favourite GH heroes (yes, I know I have quite a few)There are some funny scenes & the last chapters in that tiny village
Phrynne
Jul 02, 2013 Phrynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again I am dipping into my slightly tattered collection of Georgette Heyer romances for a quick reread of an old favourite. This time it is Sprig Muslin which contains one of Heyer's best leading men, Sir Gareth Ludlow. Who wouldn't want to take this man home? He is good looking, charming, well dressed, intelligent, has a great sense of humour, loves children and did I mention he is very, very rich!
Characterisation was one of Heyer's greatest skills and she has written some of the best. She
Ingela
Written July 4, 2015

4 1/2 Stars - Charming well-made oldie (1956). So much fun and so very well told and narrated

Sprig Muslin is an "Regency" set in England 1813 written already 1956 by a legend romance author, Georgette Heyer (1902-1974).

Awwww this was....jolly good!
This was just my second novel by, for me, a brilliant classic British writer. I has always been a fan by funny and witty (steam-free) romantic oldies (by Austen for example). Ms Heyer gives me exactly that feeling even if
Hannah
Seven years after losing the love of his life to death, well-admired Corinthian Sir Gareth Ludlow is ready to find a wife. Not for love, mind you. Love isn't likely to strike his heart again, but because it is his duty and responsibility to settle down and produce an heir. Lady Hester Thale is quiet, sensible, a steady friend and long on the shelf at age 29. Surely she will be more then happy to escape her domineering family and settle for placid security with her friend Gareth. But Gareth doesn ...more
Laure
I was not as keen on this one from Georgette Heyer's. I soon got tired of Amanda's facetiousness and immature behaviour. However, the last third of the book was very entertaining and this is why I gave it four stars nonetheless.
Abigail Bok
Nov 08, 2016 Abigail Bok rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sprig Muslin draws on a lot of familiar Georgette Heyer character types, but arranges them in a story structure that is elegantly conceived and executed. It is not one of my favorite Heyer novels, but it is a very enjoyable book to read.

Sir Gareth Ludlow suffered a tragic loss in his youth, when his fiancée borrowed his carriage and crashed it. Since then he has shown no interest in romance or marriage. He is charming, gentlemanly, but elusive. The story opens with him declaring to his sister hi
Anne

*Beware of spoilers if you don't already know who ends up with whom!*

I have the unfortunate habit of reading book reviews before or at the beginning of the book I am reading. Usually with Regency romances that is not a big deal as the couples are always so predictable, but with Sprig Muslin had I not known prior to starting, how it would end, I would have been surprised!

The hero of this novel is Sir Gareth Ludlow, and there is no doubt whatsoever about that. He is in all likeliness th
Allison
Sprig Muslin was just OK most of the way through. I can see why this is one of the more obscure Heyer Regencies. The hero and heroine are apart for most of the time, the hero off chasing after a capricious (and annoying) girl, trying to keep her out of trouble. That got a bit old, even though there were entertaining parts of it. I liked it better once the heroine entered the picture again, with not much left in the book. The relationship didn't get much development time!
 Lisa A. ✿
Another book I am not certain how to rate. In this case, I have no point of reference since this is the only novel I have read by Georgette Heyer. It certainly wouldn't be fair to compare it to a regency era author's books, such as those written by Jane Austen. Just based on overall ratings, this isn't one of Heyer's most popular book and I can now understand why.

My biggest obstacle to enjoying the story, was the consistent focus on an annoying character who should have been secondary to the ma
Andrea
This is the third of Heyer's books with the core premise of gentleman coming across beautiful girl, and putting her in the care of an established female friend (who is not pretty and has been in love with him for years) while he tries to find the proper person to look after the girl (the others being Charity Girl and The Foundling).

Sprig Muslin is by far the most successful of this particular plot, primarily because the gentleman and the female friend get to spend a good deal more time with each
Jaylia3
Jun 21, 2014 Jaylia3 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Georgette Heyer at her best, what more is there to say? This lively, two-romance, regency romp is so silly and sweet I enjoyed it most in small portions, like dessert. Amanda is a live-wire--young, determined, pretty and scandalously unattended because she’s run away from her doting grandfather hoping to marry her soldier boyfriend. Handsome but with a tragic love history, Sir Gareth runs into Amanda as he is on his way to propose to his old friend Hester, an “on the shelf” woman in her late 20’ ...more
Nikki
I loved Sprig Muslin. It's ridiculous fluff and therefore ridiculously entertaining, and I love the characters and the way everything turns out. Amanda is perfect and ridiculous, which is to say perfectly ridiculous, and poor Sir Gareth has the patience of a saint. The whole tangle of misunderstandings didn't even drive me nuts with vicarious embarrassment, in this case -- it's so deftly handled that it remains funny and light.

I prefer The Talisman Ring's plot by a good way, but Heyer's skill as
Ceri
Apr 16, 2013 Ceri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ceri by: Anne
This review first appeared on Babblings of a Bookworm: http://babblingsofabookworm.blogspot....

I first read this years ago, when, as a teen, I gobbled up the works of Georgette Heyer one after another but Sprig Muslin was a book I’d never re-read because it didn’t grab me the first time. I was persuaded that it was worth a re-read and here are my thoughts on it.

Sir Gareth Ludlow is considering marriage. This is due to his brother’s death, as without Sir Gareth having children the Ludlow family n
Jane Stewart
Gary tries to help a capable but clueless, lying, runaway teenager. Frustrating first half. Very enjoyable last third.

STORY BRIEF:
17 year old Amanda runs away from home because her grandfather won’t let her marry Neil. Gary (who is 35) happens to see her at an inn and fears bad things may happen to her traveling alone like that. He is a good Samaritan who wants to keep her safe and return her to her home. She won’t tell him her name, but Gary thinks he could locate Neil if they go to London. Ama
Jacob Proffitt
Jul 15, 2008 Jacob Proffitt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, owned
This remains one of my very favorite Georgette Heyer romances. Sir Gareth is such a delight as he struggles with Amanda's exploits. Their repartee is fantastic without even hinting that they should end up together (thank heavens, I like Hester so much better than the explosively willful ingénue). And Hester is such an intriguing character as well. Her sly humor buried under her meek exterior has some truly fine moments even early on, before we've gotten to know how intolerable her situation real ...more
Sophia
Jan 09, 2016 Sophia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And this is another re-read for me that again, has me delighted. I reacquainted with bits that felt the same and then other parts that I appreciated differently this go-around.

The story itself dives into the madcap Regency Romp because the mover and shaker at the center of it is a spoiled, naive, willful girl whose only consideration is her end-goal. She wants to marry the 'boy next door' who has gone a-soldiering and she is the daughter of a soldier so she can't abide by her guardian grandfathe
Olga Godim
Jan 26, 2012 Olga Godim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: georgette-heyer
A hilarious Regency romance, an absolute riot of laughter.
It starts as a quiet and slightly melancholy story. Seven years ago, Sir Gareth’s beloved fiance died. He grieved for her for a long time and didn’t look at any other young woman, but finally he decided to get married. He chooses Lady Hester, not because he loves her but because he holds her in affection and respect. She is shy and well-bred, exactly what he needs in a wife. He travels to her family home in the country to propose to her,
QNPoohBear
Sir Gareth Ludlow is on his way to propose to Lady Hester Theale, a spinster of nearly thirty. He doesn't love her, his heart belongs to his late fiance, but he esteems and respects Hester. Most importantly, he wants to free her from her horrible family. Hester is of the opinion that Gareth's first fiance was a little too headstrong and spoiled for him and he deserves someone better. She secretly holds a tendre for him but isn't sure she can marry without love. Along the way, Sir Gareth discover ...more
Kim
May 14, 2011 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, re-read
This is not one of the Georgette Heyer novels which I re-discover on a regular basis. While I have read it on more than one occasion in the past, I have never considered it to be one of my favourites.

Listening to the novel on audiobook over the past couple of days, I wondered why I've not appreciated it more. Sure, it's rather silly. Sir Gareth Ludlow, handsome, rich and honourable, decides to protect the headstrong and shockingly untruthful teenage girl, Amanda, who has run away from home with
Ana Rînceanu
My 25th Georgette Heyer

Sir Gareth decides for practical reasons to marry an old friend, Hester, who is unfashionable and plain, on the shelf at the age of 29. However, he soon meets a young, run-away girl and determines to resolve her problems satisfactorily. Strong-willed, impulsive Amanda who wants to force her grandfather to accept her marriage to Captain Neil. Gareth brings her to Hester which only brings more problems.

This was a delightful adventure with many hijinks, two very different in
Teresa
Nov 09, 2016 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved it! There are lots of reviews already on GR for this novel so I won't try to equal those. I'll just say the character Sir Gareth Ludlow was an ideal hero for the story. Hester I liked very much. The only reason I gave it 4* is because the romance is quite short in it. We meet them both together at the start and then again a few chapters from the end. In between it's all about Amanda, the runaway, and I must admit her tantrums and tears do get a bit wearisome at times.
However, when they
Ruth Turner
Sep 14, 2014 Ruth Turner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: georgette-heyer

As always, with Georgette Heyer, Sprig Muslin is well written, witty and charming.

This book isn't one of my favourites, and I probably did it a disservice reading it as soon as I'd finished The Corinthinan.

Both books are a little similar in that both heroines are young runaways. But whereas I loved all the characters in the Corinthian, that wasn't so with Sprig Muslin. In fact I found Amanda tedious and irritating.

Nevertheless, it was still a good read for those who love Regency England.

Cindy Newton
Aug 19, 2011 Cindy Newton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
I love Georgette Heyer! Her sentences flow so beautifully--I just savor them as I read. She ties her plots up just as beautifully and with so much humor. I never get tired of reading her books! After rereading one or more of them, I find that some of the Regency vernacular starts creeping into my speech, causing people to give me odd looks. I don't care--if they don't understand what I mean it is their own fault for not reading Georgette Heyer!
Lauren
I have joined GR Georgette Heyer discussion group. We are going to discuss this book in November. I enjoyed this book so much and I really looking foward to talking about it. It made me laugh out loud and if someone asked me to recommend a GH title this would be one. Amanda is such a fun character and her regular hi-jinx lead all the people in her life on such wild chases. There is so much fun dialog in this great story. I am putting it right up there with Cotillion!
Leslie
Sprig Muslin was very witty and clever. I admit there was a stretch in the middle that almost annoyed me so much as to consider giving up on this book. But i plodded on because a little bird told me the story would turn a corner. It did and quite rapidly! I am so glad I persevered. I don't think I have ever read anyone who could tie up loose ends as skillfully as Georgette Heyer. Honestly, the woman had mad, mad skill. I wish I would have discovered her Regency novels years ago.
Julie Davis
Oct 06, 2009 Julie Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was on the Audible Daily Deal a while back. As a devoted Georgette Heyer fan I was delighted and snapped it up. The narration is some of the best I've ever heard and I'm enjoying one of my favorite books immensely.
Rebecka
Jun 17, 2015 Rebecka rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I sincerely hated everything about this book, the furiously annoying narrator included. Is this trying to be a Jane Austen book? If so, that's just shameful.
Aug 23, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sprig Muslin is a light and funny Regency novel that showcases Georgette Heyer’s wit. I really enjoyed it and it made me laugh out loud several times! Sprig Muslin was first published in 1956, but the novel is set in 1813. The main action of the novel takes place in London, Chatteris (in the Fenland District of Cambridgeshire, England) and the roads in between.

This novel tells the tale of Sir Gareth Ludlow. His high spirited fiancée died in an accident many years previous to the start of the nov
Res
Nov 02, 2009 Res rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The one where Gareth, on his way to propose a companionate marriage to Hester, rescues a runaway schoolgirl who's read too many romantical novels.

It's essentially the same set-up as The Foundling: a nobleman, in the process of contracting a marriage he isn't too enthusiastic about, finds himself saddled with a beautiful woman-child whose innocence he has to protect and a hotheaded youth who complicates matters with his impulsiveness. And I love both books, but I can't give either of them the to
  • Once Upon a Christmas (Nobody, #2)
  • A Loyal Companion
  • The Five-Minute Marriage
  • The Mésalliance (Rockliffe, #2)
  • Danse de la Folie
  • Lord Deverill's Secret
  • The Unflappable Miss Fairchild (Rogues and Rakes, #1)
  • Elyza
  • Georgette Heyer's Regency World
  • The Captain's Inheritance (Rothschild Trilogy #3)
  • The Best Intentions (Country House Party, #2)
  • Indiscretion
  • The Private World of Georgette Heyer
  • Brighton Road
  • Lady Elizabeth's Comet (Clanross, #1)
  • Christmas Belle (Frazer, #2)
  • Summer Campaign
  • Talk of the Town
Georgette Heyer was a prolific historical romance and detective fiction novelist. Her writing career began in 1921, when she turned a story for her younger brother into the novel The Black Moth.

In 1925 she married George Ronald Rougier, a mining engineer, and he often provided basic plot outlines for her thrillers. Beginning in 1932, Heyer released one romance novel and one thriller each year.

Hey
More about Georgette Heyer...

“I have seen what comes of being patient," Amanda said with a boding look. "And I have no opinion of it."
"What does come of it?" Inquired Sir Gareth.
"Nothing!”
17 likes
“After eyeing her for a moment or two, he said: ‘If you let this chance of achieving a respectable alliance slip, you are a bigger fool than I take you for, Hester!’ Her eyes came round to his face, a smile quivered for an instant on her lips. ‘No, how could that be, Papa?” 2 likes