Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing

Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  1,810 ratings  ·  60 reviews
CHARCUTERIE—a culinary specialty that originally referred to the creation of pork products such as salami, sausages, and prosciutto—is true food craftsmanship, the art of turning preserved food into items of beauty and taste. Today the term encompasses a vast range of preparations, most of which involve salting, cooking, smoking, and drying. In addition to providing classi...more
Published November 17th 2005 by W. W. Norton & Company

Baking by Dorie GreenspanFeast by Nigella LawsonCooking by James PetersonThe River Cottage Meat Book by Hugh Fearnley-WhittingstallThe Country Cooking of France by Anne Willan
James Beard Award Cookbooks2
11th out of 98 books — 15 voters
Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles Cookbook by Anthony BourdainLiterary Feasts by Barbara ScraffordThe Art of Mexican Cooking by Diana KennedyThe Complete Book of Greek Cooking by St. Paul's Greek Orthodox C...The Irish Pub Cookbook by Margaret M. Johnson
King's Books Cookbook Club
65th out of 88 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeff Kukral
Christmas 2011 was what my wife called my meat themed Christmas. I got a meat grinder and sausage stuffer. And I got this book. I immediately started to red this book. I started doing my meat projects (and documenting them on my blog www.nobodybeatsmymeat.wordpress.com) and I was fascinated. My first project was home cured bacon.

With my meat bible in hand (this book) I have taken off down the road of meat curing. I am even trying to start a business all do to this book. I found my passion.
Dakki
I got Salumi together with Charcuterie, by the same authors. This review will cover both books.

Charcuterie covers sausagemaking while Salumi is about dry curing whole cuts of meat. Both books focus heavily on the Italian styles.

The books contain a great deal of information regarding their topic (the word charcuterie encompasses sausages, cured meats and other foods such as pates and terrines). Unfortunately, some of this information is incomplete, misleading or simply wrong. For a full discussio...more
Nick
I don't read cookbooks cover-to-cover but I've trawled through this enough to get everything I can out of it until I need a recipe.

Cool book, very interesting topic. It's fun to realize that food preservation was once a matter of necessity, but that even with refrigeration, canning, freezing, vacuum-sealing, etc. we still continue to salt, smoke and cure things because it tastes really good.

Many of the recipes are a bit out of my reach, I don't have smoking equipment and my climate doesn't reall...more
Mike Echon
After reading Michael Ruhlmans book I feel more confident to approach charcuterie production at home. It's an interesting read with many formulations to help the novice on their journey to creating artisan meats and sausages in a safe manner. Although, I somewhat dispute the claim that you must add ferment culture and nitrite/ nitrate to dry sausages. I know this from eating and also making Croatian dry sausages with Croatian friends for many years that the only salt used was Kosher or Sea Salt...more
Kathy
Dec 28, 2007 Kathy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of preserved meat
Shelves: cookbooks, nonfiction
I received this book for Christmas and just finished reading it. I tend to skim many of my cookbooks, but this one I read cover to cover. I enjoy Ruhlman's writing (The Making of a Chef, The Soul of a Chef, etc) and in this cookbook he gives an interesting and informative, yet concise background on charcuterie. I wanted this book because I love eating charcuterie and wanted to try my hand at making some at home. I haven't tried any of the recipes yet, but Ruhlman states that they've been develop...more
Bill Lenoir
Better than just a book of recipes, this includes techniques that will help every cook.
Jo Lin
I decided to read this book more because I'm a fan of Michael Ruhlman in general, not that I actually wanted to make my own sausages.

As with Ruhlman's other books, this was a light, entertaining read. I'd have liked more detail on the technical/historical aspects of charcuterie preparation, but in all fairness that's because I wasn't reading this book as a recipe book per se.

That said, the recipes are easy to follow (kudos for adding pictures), and Ruhlman and Polcyn's passion for charcuterie...more
Jason
A very informative and practical book, charged with honest prose and refreshingly unglamorous layout. With the probable exception of some vegetarians, those who believe that good food is about good food and is neither about photography nor about boring upper middle yuppies or stay-at-home mums looking for a fan base via blogdom will appreciate this book. I loved it.
Keith
Very interesting and thorough. I'm expecting a lot of fun experiments and techniques will come of this.
Deeann Kiesel
Delectable! Makes me want to grind something.
Brian Smith
This is a holy book in the kitchen.
Shane
Great collection of information and recipes about an art that has fallen out of the popular conscience. I greatly enjoyed the narration and appreciated the resources in the back of the book. My only disappointment (and it isn't small) is in the complete lack of pictures. The choice could have been made for reasons of cost or convenience and either are valid. For me - pictures greatly enhance the experience and my desire to reproduce the author's creations.
Marleene
This is a very well written and comprehensively researched book. The illustrations, depicting cuts of meat or "how to" do specific tasks are very are clear and lessen the disappointment of not having photographs of the finished dishes. I probably would have given a 4 or 5 star rating - but I don't eat pork. This is essentially a compendium of pork heavy recipes and techniques despite the inclusion of some beef, poultry and vegetable recipes.
mj
Jul 22, 2008 mj rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: epicurians
Shelves: reference
I want to learn to dry and preserve meats, and was hoping this book would teach me how to do so safely. It was a 300 page book with about 5 pages of useful general information on preserving food, and 295 pages of fancy epicurean recipes for doing so.

Mostly I learned that wet, thick, air dried preserved meats need nitrates, while thinner, quickly dired meats do not need them as much.
Derek
This book is a great primer in how to get started curing, smoking and making your own charcuterie. It's written by Michael Ruhlman, of "Soul of a Chef' fame as well as cookbooks for all of the Keller eateries. Not only does it give you a great overview of the history and origins, but provides technique and great step by steps and starting points from things like confit to lardo.
Ahsin
Yeah, this is what I am talking about. It was fun buying 2lbs of pork belly from the Korean grocer, skinning it, salting it and hanging it for 2 weeks in my parents' basement. Best pancetta I've ever had.

My one beef with the book--how can you possibly write a "definitive book" on charcuterie and only make passing reference to Spain? Huh?
Gary
As noted by others, a good primer on sausage making, including bacon, terrines, etc. The real genius behind this book is Brian Polcyn. If you ever get a chance to see Polcyn in action (Youtube, TV, etc), do so. A really handy book with excellent, helpful illustrations. Everyone should make their own bacon; so easy...
Natashya KitchenPuppies
I have made the tasso ham, peameal bacon and fermented sauerkraut so far.
How wonderful to be able to make cured meats at home!
Accessible to the home cook and DIY enthusiast. Some recipes are more complicated than others, or require more in the way of specifics - but there are plenty of recipes to choose from.
Shiva
This is the first "cook book", if you can call it that, that i read from cover to cover. The content is informative and useful, but also entertaining. Its opened up a whole new and really exciting cooking style for me that I have been putting to use with great success, my friends and family can attest to that.
Patrick
This is the result of Ruhlman meeting Brian Polcyn while Polcyn was taking the Master chef's Exam. It is a fantastic read and I highly recommend this for anyone in the field or hobbyists that love food and are willing to try some advanced preparations and cooking techniques.
Angela Boord
Fun book just to read. I've been making my own breakfast sausage using "Da Bomb" ginger-sage recipe and it really is "Da Bomb"... much better than buying the sugar-laden, MSG tainted stuff at the store... and easy, too, if you start with ground pork!
Tim
There's a lot here and it's going to take me awhile to go through these recipes. So far I've tried the Pastrami recipe and it was great. Never worked with curing salts before, never made my own sausage but it's time. Mmmm, meat ;-)
Dale
It would be hard to find a book on this topic that is more comprehensive, approachable, and delectable. My friends, get ready for all manner of dry cured sausages, prosciuttos, pates and confits from the Weeks and Wheeler kitchen!
Ryan
Apr 15, 2011 Ryan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
First cookbook I've gotten in a long while that I've started on page one and read straight through. I find it difficult to give the 5 stars because I haven't made one thing from the book yet. Soon though, hopefully soon.
Angela Alcorn
This book is a large part of the fuss behind Charcutepelooza movement. Probably worth a read!
Scotty
Actually 4.5, only because the preservatives (like bactoferm) are overstated for what I am sure are legal reasons. Your first batch of some things will not make you happy. Check the label and other sources. YMMV.
Alex
This is the book that's allowing me to level up as a chef. If you're at all interested in making your own meats (even if you're not going to make pepperoni or whatever) this book is essential.
Deb
Everything I ever wanted to know about preserving meat, fish, and fowl. How to whack, grind, chop, salt, brine, smoke, dry and otherwise create the yummiest meat, fish, and poultry.
Marsha
Way over my head...but good stuff to consider. I'm going to ask my daughter if we can experiment with some of the meat grinder and sausage techniques. It sounds so full of possibilities.
Steve
I can't even get through a page of this book without my mouth watering. Great descriptions and instructions on meat preservation. THE manual for anyone interested in charcuterie.
  • The Whole Beast: Nose to Tail Eating
  • The River Cottage Meat Book
  • Bouchon
  • Sauces: Classical and Contemporary Sauce Making
  • Culinary Artistry
  • Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient, with Recipes
  • Momofuku
  • The Professional Chef
  • Jacques Pépin's Complete Techniques: Featuring More Than 1,000 Cooking Methods and Recipes,  in Thousands of  Step-by-Step Photographs
  • Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art
  • Larousse Gastronomique: The World's Greatest Culinary Encyclopedia
  • Noma: Time and Place in Nordic Cuisine
  • The Escoffier Cookbook and Guide to the Fine Art of Cookery: For Connoisseurs, Chefs, Epicures Complete With 2973 Recipes
  • Alinea
  • A Day At Elbulli
  • The Zuni Cafe Cookbook: A Compendium of Recipes and Cooking Lessons from San Francisco's Beloved Restaurant
  • The Fat Duck Cookbook
  • Asian Dumplings: Mastering Gyoza, Spring Rolls, Samosas, and More
Michael Ruhlman (born 1963 in Cleveland, Ohio) is an American writer. He is the author of 11 books, and is best known for his work about and in collaboration with American chefs, as well as other works of non-fiction.

Ruhlman grew up in Cleveland and was educated at University School (a private boys' day school in Cleveland) and at Duke University, graduating from the latter in 1985. He worked a se...more
More about Michael Ruhlman...
The Making of a Chef: Mastering Heat at the Culinary Institute of America The Soul of a Chef: The Journey Toward Perfection Ratio: The Simple Codes Behind the Craft of Everyday Cooking The Reach of a Chef: Beyond the Kitchen The Elements of Cooking: Translating the Chef's Craft for Every Kitchen