Start by marking “How to Rock Your Baby: And Other Timeless Tips for Modern Moms” as Want to Read:
How to Rock Your Baby: And Other Timeless Tips for Modern Moms

How to Rock Your Baby: And Other Timeless Tips for Modern Moms

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Just what every new mother needs--100 charming and useful step-by-step how-to's, advice, and stories, culled from mothers and grandmothers throughout the ages.

As a first-time mother, Erin Bried found she had countless things to worry about. She realized she didn't want to follow the latest trends--she wanted real, time-tested advice about how to calm her baby when she crie
Published April 3rd 2012 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about How to Rock Your Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Rock Your Baby

Ciara
just like the title says: timeless tips for modern moms. this was a very sweet, cute, & actually kind of useful book. could make a decent baby shower gift for a new mom. bried covers the basics, like how to swaddle a baby, how to wash a baby's hair, how to prepare a birth plan. but she also addresses stuff i probably wouldn't have considered until it was too late, like how to make a keepsake box or bronze a baby's shoes. she sought advice from a wide selection of experienced moms of all ages ...more
Sheridan
I got a copy of this book to read and review and do a give away on my blog. http://www.enjoybirth.com/blog

This is a book where the author, Erin gathered time honored tips to birth and raise a baby.

I really enjoy the layout of this book. There are 10 different sections from Expecting to Remembering and within each section there are short little chapters with different topics important to pregnant and new moms. In a few short steps she explains how to do whatever the topic is. Then she follows up
Asha Carlos
In this book, the author, Bried shares time-tested advice from 10 experienced mums ranging from the ages of 39 to 102 years old who have brought up extraordinary kids. Her main aim is to assist first time parents by providing them a one-stop solution to answer various topics starting from pregnancy, having a baby and how to care for a newborn in an informal and fun way. In her book, Bried shares her concern about inexperienced parents being overwhelmed by conflicting advice from well-meaning fam ...more
I ended up skimming this. I expected a lot more tips from moms. Instead, this read like generic instructions in "How to" format that you could find in any magazine. Also, there are so many topics covered - from pregnancy through the first year - that nothing is covered in depth.

The chapter on "making things for baby" sounds great, but knitting and sewing with a little one around seems unrealistic for those of us who aren't super moms.

This would be okay if you have no idea what to expect from p
Mary
I've only gotten through a few sections, most of which did not actually pertain to my situation, but I still found them fun. I do disagree with a few of her tips like washing babies clothes separate. I realize some parents need to, but many of the parents I know wash the clothes together. (if the babies have poop on them, wouldn't you rinse them out first?). I think there were some other things, but I forget right now. I am not reading this to actually learn anything; I just thought it is fun.
Julie O'Neal
At eight months pregnant, I figured I ought to read at least one book on childcare. What better book to read than one where mothers of notable children (an astrophysist, etc.) give their advice? Although the advice was not ground-breaking and profound, I found them helpful, nonetheless. The addition of the authors wit even made them amusing. If you're looking for an easy, fun read of advice during pregnancy and the first year of baby's life, this book is for you.
Whitney
I found myself skipping over topics, too basic even for this first time mom (like the chapter on how to share the news when I'm 30 weeks pregnant)! I skipped the chapter on sewing or "making" things for baby like knitting socks.... not happening with this mom. Other chapters were informative, this book made me want to go find a more detailed book, it is a good starter for getting your feet wet in baby book world. Light hearted and not overwhelming.
Jules
A little thin or repetitive, when you've read lots of the other resources out there for new parents, but it's helpful to get advice from other moms who have been there. Would be good bedside reading to take in bits and pieces, since the chapters are short. And if you're a handy mom-to-be, the section at the end about making memorable items for your baby is a nice touch.
Michelle
I really like Erin Bried's other books, so even though my kids aren't babies anymore I thought I would read and review this book anyway. How to Rock Your Baby is a great, humorous guide for new parents. Not as in depth as say, What to Expect When You're Expecting, but a good, informal read with tried and true advice. I recommend it for any new mom.
Ronni
I thought there would be more interesting stuff gleaned from the author's interviews with moms of famous people. Instead it was more like fluffy magazine filler with bullet pointed how-to lists. Plus the "humorous" style of the author felt a little too stilted. It didn't have enough going for it to make it worth finishing, but fine for skimming.
Shan
Well, I don't feel like I know THAT much more than I did before...but hey, at least it didn't make me cry! And that earns it an extra star. I did fold down a few page-corners for future reference.
Kim Ruehl
I enjoyed this super-quick read. I imagine I'll pull it back out for reference (as well as entertainment and insight) when we actually finally have a baby.

Bried wrote this in very quick, catchy, digestible chapters - ideal for easy access between baby's naps, meltdowns, and other varied new-mommy distractions.
Cassie
I thought from the title that this would be simple, boring information that wouldn't really be helpful, but the book really did have a lot of useful tips, and I didn't have to read through mounds of boring paragraphs to get what I needed out of it.
Nina1982
This book is full of warmly delivered advice on a whole bunch of motherhood-related topics. Obviously, one of many books on the topic but definitely stands out due to personal touch of women who participated in writing it.
Meghann
this is one of the only baby books I read, but it was pretty awesome! super simple and straightforward, never pressuring the reader towards one choice over another.
Jessica
This is great! Really helpful, down to earth tips. Done in very short, easy to read chapters. I will be recommending this book to other new and expecting moms.
Ashley Levinge
Very good reference... Wish I had it while I was pregnant but given as a gift shortly after my daughter was born. Very helpful!!
Meg
Good, solid, practical and easy to reference guide appropriate for first time moms.
Becki
Cute book but better for first time moms. Some great sewing projects in the back.
Sadie Roman
Cute...but I know A LOT of this already...maybe for someone who really has no clue...
Sara Shepherd
Straightforward advice from no nonesense moms. An enjoyable read while pregnant.
Amanda
Full of practical tips for pregnancy and caring for a newborn.
Jun
Had some interesting information. If I can now remember it...
Danica Midlil
Mar 11, 2013 Danica Midlil marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
On page 127. Need to finish.
Sarah marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
How to Sew a Button: And Other Nifty Things Your Grandmother Knew How to Build a Fire: And Other Handy Things Your Grandfather Knew