Start by marking “How to Rock Your Baby: And Other Timeless Tips for Modern Moms” as Want to Read:
How to Rock Your Baby: And Other Timeless Tips for Modern Moms

How to Rock Your Baby: And Other Timeless Tips for Modern Moms

Just what every new mother needs--100 charming and useful step-by-step how-to's, advice, and stories, culled from mothers and grandmothers throughout the ages.

As a first-time mother, Erin Bried found she had countless things to worry about. She realized she didn't want to follow the latest trends--she wanted real, time-tested advice about how to calm her baby when she crie
Published April 3rd 2012 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about How to Rock Your Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Rock Your Baby

Hannah Christmas
Oct 29, 2016 Hannah Christmas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been slowly reading this book throughout my pregnancy. It's one of those very practical-advice-giving books that I didn't want to forget anything. It was super helpful for someone like me who had no expectations about pregnancy and knows nothing about babies. It had just the right amount of humor to make the whole "being pregnant" part of it all a little less intimidating. Some advice, I found, was not exactly "timeless," or even useful. I don't see myself making photo albums or bronzing sh ...more
Ietrio
Dec 22, 2016 Ietrio rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: junk
Old wives tales with a modern twist to appeal to the new markets. Of course, made for people living in the Western World, and at least middle class.
Lauren Wagers
I can't say that this book personally gave me any advice that helped me through any struggles that I was having, but I totally loved it. My daughter is 13 months old (at the time of writing this review) and so I've already been through all of the "what is happening to my baby" moments in life. I'm sure I'll have plenty more throughout her toddler life, but as far as her being an infant I've already been there. :) It was really unique and interesting reading the insight and prospective from other ...more
Ciara
just like the title says: timeless tips for modern moms. this was a very sweet, cute, & actually kind of useful book. could make a decent baby shower gift for a new mom. bried covers the basics, like how to swaddle a baby, how to wash a baby's hair, how to prepare a birth plan. but she also addresses stuff i probably wouldn't have considered until it was too late, like how to make a keepsake box or bronze a baby's shoes. she sought advice from a wide selection of experienced moms of all ages ...more
Sheridan
I got a copy of this book to read and review and do a give away on my blog. http://www.enjoybirth.com/blog

This is a book where the author, Erin gathered time honored tips to birth and raise a baby.

I really enjoy the layout of this book. There are 10 different sections from Expecting to Remembering and within each section there are short little chapters with different topics important to pregnant and new moms. In a few short steps she explains how to do whatever the topic is. Then she follows up
Asha Carlos
In this book, the author, Bried shares time-tested advice from 10 experienced mums ranging from the ages of 39 to 102 years old who have brought up extraordinary kids. Her main aim is to assist first time parents by providing them a one-stop solution to answer various topics starting from pregnancy, having a baby and how to care for a newborn in an informal and fun way. In her book, Bried shares her concern about inexperienced parents being overwhelmed by conflicting advice from well-meaning fam ...more
Nov 21, 2013 Jennifer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I ended up skimming this. I expected a lot more tips from moms. Instead, this read like generic instructions in "How to" format that you could find in any magazine. Also, there are so many topics covered - from pregnancy through the first year - that nothing is covered in depth.

The chapter on "making things for baby" sounds great, but knitting and sewing with a little one around seems unrealistic for those of us who aren't super moms.

This would be okay if you have no idea what to expect from p
Julie O'Neal
Jul 25, 2012 Julie O'Neal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At eight months pregnant, I figured I ought to read at least one book on childcare. What better book to read than one where mothers of notable children (an astrophysist, etc.) give their advice? Although the advice was not ground-breaking and profound, I found them helpful, nonetheless. The addition of the authors wit even made them amusing. If you're looking for an easy, fun read of advice during pregnancy and the first year of baby's life, this book is for you.
Mary
Jul 24, 2012 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, parenting
I've only gotten through a few sections, most of which did not actually pertain to my situation, but I still found them fun. I do disagree with a few of her tips like washing babies clothes separate. I realize some parents need to, but many of the parents I know wash the clothes together. (if the babies have poop on them, wouldn't you rinse them out first?). I think there were some other things, but I forget right now. I am not reading this to actually learn anything; I just thought it is fun.
Whitney
I found myself skipping over topics, too basic even for this first time mom (like the chapter on how to share the news when I'm 30 weeks pregnant)! I skipped the chapter on sewing or "making" things for baby like knitting socks.... not happening with this mom. Other chapters were informative, this book made me want to go find a more detailed book, it is a good starter for getting your feet wet in baby book world. Light hearted and not overwhelming.
Ronni
Sep 19, 2012 Ronni rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
I thought there would be more interesting stuff gleaned from the author's interviews with moms of famous people. Instead it was more like fluffy magazine filler with bullet pointed how-to lists. Plus the "humorous" style of the author felt a little too stilted. It didn't have enough going for it to make it worth finishing, but fine for skimming.
Jules
Aug 17, 2012 Jules rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little thin or repetitive, when you've read lots of the other resources out there for new parents, but it's helpful to get advice from other moms who have been there. Would be good bedside reading to take in bits and pieces, since the chapters are short. And if you're a handy mom-to-be, the section at the end about making memorable items for your baby is a nice touch.
Kim Ruehl
May 22, 2013 Kim Ruehl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
I enjoyed this super-quick read. I imagine I'll pull it back out for reference (as well as entertainment and insight) when we actually finally have a baby.

Bried wrote this in very quick, catchy, digestible chapters - ideal for easy access between baby's naps, meltdowns, and other varied new-mommy distractions.
Michelle
I really like Erin Bried's other books, so even though my kids aren't babies anymore I thought I would read and review this book anyway. How to Rock Your Baby is a great, humorous guide for new parents. Not as in depth as say, What to Expect When You're Expecting, but a good, informal read with tried and true advice. I recommend it for any new mom.
Amy
Jul 09, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book while pregnant with my little boy who is now almost three. There is a lot of great information in it, and it's an awesome read for first time moms. I plan to give this away as a baby gift to another new mom.
Shan
Jan 31, 2014 Shan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I don't feel like I know THAT much more than I did before...but hey, at least it didn't make me cry! And that earns it an extra star. I did fold down a few page-corners for future reference.
Cassie
I thought from the title that this would be simple, boring information that wouldn't really be helpful, but the book really did have a lot of useful tips, and I didn't have to read through mounds of boring paragraphs to get what I needed out of it.
Nina1982
This book is full of warmly delivered advice on a whole bunch of motherhood-related topics. Obviously, one of many books on the topic but definitely stands out due to personal touch of women who participated in writing it.
Ashley Levinge
Jun 15, 2012 Ashley Levinge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good reference... Wish I had it while I was pregnant but given as a gift shortly after my daughter was born. Very helpful!!
Meghann
Nov 23, 2012 Meghann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is one of the only baby books I read, but it was pretty awesome! super simple and straightforward, never pressuring the reader towards one choice over another.
Jessica
Jan 22, 2013 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is great! Really helpful, down to earth tips. Done in very short, easy to read chapters. I will be recommending this book to other new and expecting moms.
Courtney
Courtney rated it liked it
May 24, 2016
Kristin Clarke
Kristin Clarke rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2016
Catherine
Catherine rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2015
Jess
Jess rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2012
Theresa
Theresa rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2013
Rachel Bailey Irish
Rachel Bailey Irish rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2013
Helena
Helena rated it it was ok
Sep 01, 2015
Sophie
Sophie rated it liked it
May 07, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Young Bucks: How to Raise a Future Millionaire
  • Mindful Motherhood: Practical Tools for Staying Sane During Pregnancy and Your Child's First Year
  • Your Amazing Newborn
  • Do Chocolate Lovers Have Sweeter Babies?: The Surprising Science of Pregnancy
  • The American Academy of Pediatrics New Mother's Guide to Breastfeeding
  • Papadaddy's Book for New Fathers: Advice to Dads of All Ages
  • This Isn't What I Expected: Overcoming Postpartum Depression
  • The Wholesome Baby Food Guide: Over 150 Easy, Delicious, and Healthy Recipes from Purees to Solids
  • The Breastfeeding Answer Book
  • What to Expect When You're Expected: A Fetus's Guide to the First Three Trimesters
  • Healthy Child Healthy World: Creating a Cleaner, Greener, Safer Home
  • Stress-Free Potty Training: A Commonsense Guide to Finding the Right Approach for Your Child
  • Your Child's Self-Esteem: Step-by-Step Guidelines for Raising Responsible, Productive, Happy Children
  • Getting to 50/50: How Working Couples Can Have It All by Sharing It All