Start by marking “Fatal Terrain (Patrick McLanahan, #6)” as Want to Read:
Fatal Terrain (Patrick McLanahan, #6)

Fatal Terrain (Patrick McLanahan #6)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  2,673 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
In Asia, all hell is breaking loose. Finally ready to flex its formidable muscle, the People's Republic of China has struck at Taiwan, and when the United States comes to Taiwan's aid, it is dealt a stunning setback. Emboldened, China begins to scoop up its lost territory in Asia, and sets into the effect an audacious military and geopolitical plan aimed at immobilizing th ...more
Published June 30th 1997 by Putnam Adult

To ask other readers questions about Fatal Terrain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fatal Terrain

Richard Southwell
Aug 20, 2016 Richard Southwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stunning in detail

The most detailed descriptions in modern day action. The character's are detailed and well written. I would recommend to fans of the genre.
Nolan
May 12, 2010 Nolan rated it really liked it
In the fictional 1997 America of this book, the nation has had more than its share of problems dealing with Iran. It’s hawkish conservative president has ordered clandestine strikes against Iran which were highly successful but nonetheless outraged Congress. As a result, the president is embattled and embroiled in hearings to determine the legality of his actions, among other things. As spring fades to summer, his administration comes out in full support of a newly elected government in Taiwan, ...more
Diane
Jun 30, 2011 Diane rated it liked it
The story was fascinating, but I was so distracted and slowed down by all the technical information with official numbers and what each weapon or bomb did, that I couldn't concentrate on the story.
Neil
This was a crazy book. Where else can you have a nation (view spoiler) not suffer any repercussions for its actions? As much as I hate to admit it, I enjoyed the political discussion this time around moreso than before. I thought the author did a good job with the various points-of-views presented in this story. It moves at a decent pace, up until the ending. Then the ending ...more
Jim
Feb 08, 2017 Jim rated it liked it
Terry Retter
Mar 22, 2017 Terry Retter rated it really liked it
Very good but with some holes in logic
Ultan
Jul 04, 2011 Ultan marked it as to-read
John
Jul 28, 2014 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Patrick McLanahan and the Old Dog crew are back for another round. In this book, Taiwan has declared its independence and the United States has decided to back them. The Chinese are deeply offended by this and unleash a full scale war against Taiwan. The Old Dog crew comes to the rescue but ends up sidelined by bureaucracy within the US command structure. They keep fighting in spite of their troubles and ruffle some feathers along the way.

I liked the fact that the "bad guys" - in this case, the
Pete
Dec 12, 2009 Pete rated it liked it
I have always been a person who thinks it is better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission. I think that decision-making should happen as close to the situation as possible. I practice both policies in my own life and on a daily basis. However, somehow, I don't like the idea of people in the military, or associated with the military taking the same freedoms with multi-million dollar aircraft and weapons that can kill thousands at a pop.

That is NOT to say I didn't like the book. I love Maclana
Nigel
Dec 21, 2016 Nigel rated it really liked it
A thoroughly enjoyable piece of escapism from Dale Brown in his usual mix of high tech weaponry and political intrigue. The focus of this story is on Taiwan declaring independence from the PRC, and the latter’s attempt to recover their ‘lost’ territory into the wider PRC fold. What follows is a fast pace exciting thriller that keeps the reading on the edge of their seats.
Brown includes his normal mix of real and ‘new’ advanced weaponry into his battle scenes with all the details necessary to a
Henri Moreaux
On one hand this novel is fast paced, action filled and exciting. Yet, on the other towards the end things started getting a little far fetched, now I realise in fiction things aren't obviously real however I do prefer it when a novel stays within the realm of possibility if it's set within the constraints of the 'real world'.

So whilst I found this novel highly entertaining and knocked over all 621 pages in a day I felt a little let down by the far fetched events towards the end - it simply just
Ed
May 15, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it
Shelves: military, action, thriller
#6 in the Patrick McLanahan series.

Patrick McLanahan, et al.- The EB-52 Megafortresses are about to be scrapped, the rest of the U.S. heavy bomber force radically downsized. Then the Chinese seriously try to conquer Taiwan, and President Martindale wants to defend it equally seriously, despite U.S. military weakness, interservice rivalry, and political opposition. Led by Brad Elliott and Patrick McLanahan, the reunited Old Dog crew flies one official mission against the Chinese--and then is face
Dennis
Oct 30, 2013 Dennis rated it liked it
This is the 9th book by Dale Brown that I've read and I've enjoyed all of them. However, there were some plots turns in this book that just didn't set well with me. I realize these stories are for entertainment but it's always better if you think something could really have happened. This book didn't quite get me there. That being said, most of the characters were familiar from earlier books and there was plenty of heart-pounding action so I still enjoyed the read. Read this if you are already a ...more
Clyn
Great book with intriguing political trappings. Sometimes I feel that the author allows the main characters and the US to suffer so many blows, misfortunes, losses, that it almost goes overboard. The end of the book where the conflicts and problems get resolved seemed a little rushed and hurried to me, almost as if the author got tired of writing the story and just wanted to finish the book, or ran into a deadline and had to kind of wrap things up rapidly. You don't get nearly as much of the swe ...more
Bob Conner
Jan 18, 2015 Bob Conner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: military-war
Dale Brown had me with Flight of the Old Dog and he doesn't believe in catch and release. Another awesome read from Brown and the very effective use of continuation of main characters.

When I read Dale Brown, I'm always awed by his technical knowledge, but even more intriguing is his almost clairvoyant ability to write stories that seem to connect with future events.

I find I'm always watching for new releases by Brown.
Justin
May 09, 2012 Justin rated it liked it
A decent addition to the Patrick McLanahan series, although the overall story is getting kind of stale. Each book is becoming the same, world crisis, Megafortress crew defies order, saves the day against impossible odds, repeat. A major character death at the end of this one spiced it up a little, but the series needs a fresh story angle..or 5.
robert f eckelman
Outstanding

Outstanding

Yet another D.Brown thriller that you just don't want to put down -- great story and it gives you something to think
about . my only disappointment was the end of Brad E. The character he was always lead to a great deal of
excitement in all of the stories in was in.

Mervin
Feb 28, 2012 Mervin rated it it was ok
This was one book that while I was reading, I was hoping it would get better, it didn't. Last Dale Brown book I am every planning to read! Refitting B52's with air to air missiles are you kidding me?? Its a bomber the size of a commercial airline!!
dennis peterson
Oct 05, 2016 dennis peterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very intoxicating

As with all of Brown's books, the read was very enjoyable
And engrossing. The only problem was the long information
Sets on the military and weapons system. Otherwise the
Story was fast moving and a fun read.
arnold miller
Different but the same

Although this is a continuing saga, the plot lines seem too similar to the previous stories. Still too much technical jargon which hurts the flow of the story. All in all Dale Brown remains at the top of his story telling
Ed Lippincott
May 03, 2016 Ed Lippincott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have always been a big fan.

Good book, page turner as usual. Loved the technology heavy battles. There ways just a tinge of poetic license within the military hierarchy here and there.
Mick Bird
Jan 13, 2016 Mick Bird rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book

I have enjoyed reading all of these books, Dale has built up the main characters in each of his books. Looking forward to reading more about Patrick and his team.
robert j. olmstead
The Bomber

A great read, hard to put down. The book moves you to the insides of an actual B 52, and the reason flight crews p!an so many different ops just to be prepared for emergencies as they rise up and rear their ugly heads.
Jimmie Richards
Aug 29, 2016 Jimmie Richards rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Book

Not as good as the original Flight of the Old Dog but entertaining and attention keeping. The technical details made this book. The only reason I didn't give it the 5th star was because Dale Brown killed off my fazvborite character.
Lisa
Aug 06, 2012 Lisa rated it did not like it
An unbelievable and very stretched plot, coupled with boring writing and an equally unbelievable ending. My least favorite Dale Brown book to date.
Carol Hall
Love his books.
Dean Deters
Jul 02, 2013 Dean Deters rated it liked it
Eh, it was an interesting read, but not as believable as Many of his other books. If you like planes and weapons it has a lot for you. Otherwise, spend your time on something else.
Cws
Oct 02, 2008 Cws added it
Shelves: adventure
A Bro
Justin Miller
This was the first Dale Brown book that I read. I found it to be fairly entertaining. It compared similarly to a lot of Stephen Coonts books.
Shirley Doering
Aug 18, 2016 Shirley Doering rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review of Fatal Terrain

I thought this book was an excellent read. Lots of action and the use of a lot of familiar cockpit lingo.
  • Fortunes of War
  • Barracuda 945 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #6)
  • The Enemy Within
  • Bright Star (Scott Dixon, #2)
Former U.S. Air Force captain Dale Brown is the superstar author of 25 consecutive New York Times best-selling military-action-aviation adventure novels: FLIGHT OF THE OLD DOG (1987), SILVER TOWER (1988), DAY OF THE CHEETAH (1989), HAMMERHEADS (1990), SKY MASTERS (1991), NIGHT OF THE HAWK (1992), CHAINS OF COMMAND (1993), STORMING HEAVEN (1994), SHADOWS OF STEEL (1996) and FATAL TERRAIN (1997), TH ...more
More about Dale Brown...

Patrick McLanahan (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Flight of the Old Dog (Patrick McLanahan, #1)
  • Night of the Hawk (Patrick McLanahan, #2)
  • Sky Masters (Patrick McLanahan, #3)
  • Day of the Cheetah (Patrick McLanahan, #4)
  • Shadows of Steel (Patrick McLanahan, #5)
  • The Tin Man (Patrick McLanahan, #7)
  • Battle Born (Patrick McLanahan, #8)
  • Warrior Class (Patrick McLanahan, #9)
  • Wings of Fire (Patrick McLanahan, #10)
  • Air Battle Force (Patrick McLanahan, #11)

“knocking on his superior’s” 0 likes