The Devil I Know: My Haunting Journey with Ronnie Defeo and the True Story Ofthe Amityville Murders

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  8 reviews
In November 1974, 23-year-old Ronnie DeFeo was convicted of murdering his entire family. Decades later, he was haunted by a terrifying demon from his past. But no one wanted to listen.
Except one woman.
For years, as the legend of the Amityville Horror murders were retold in print and film, DeFeo withdrew, growing more bitter as his twisted celebrity status increased.
Then...more
Published August 1st 2012 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about The Devil I Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil I Know

Breanne
Let me say that this is one of the worst books I've ever read in my life. And that's saying something because I read A LOT, and I least like most books that I've read.
Most of this book has absolutely nothing to do with Ronnie DeFeo or the Amityville Murders. It is a bizzare and fantastical autobiography of Jackie Barrett. If even half the stuff she describes actually happened to her, I'll sell my firstborn. I'm really confused about why so much of this book is about her considering the subtitle...more
Salem
Very well written. Keeps you on the edge of your seat and aware of every bump in the night!
Kelly Hager
This is one of my rare forays into nonfiction. Jackie Barrett is a psychic medium. (By which I mean that not only does she know things that most people wouldn't be able to know, but she can also communicate with the dead.) In this book, she discusses her relationship with Ronnie DeFeo and reveals what really happened the night his entire family was murdered.

In case you aren't either (a) a horror movie fan or (b) a true crime junkie, Ronnie DeFeo lived in a house on Ocean Avenue in a little town...more
Christine
The Devil I May Know is about the infamous home 112 Ocean Avenue and the people who dealt with the evil that was manifested there. Jackie went into this journey to understand what happened there and to help Ronnie DeFeo understand what he was going though. I have heard the stories over the years and I figured some of the events as what Jackie did. This is not only the true story of the events but also the terror that Jackie and her family faced and are still facing as a result of searching for t...more
Doris
The sub-heading of this book really sums up what it is all about. But, just to clarify, Ronnie (Butch) DeFeo was accused and convicted of killing his parents and four younger siblings in the early 70's with no explanation given, ever. Until now that is. And the person he told his story to and who wrote the book is a medium and voodoo princess. Hmmm ... interesting, I hear you say. Or are you about to stop reading this review? Please don't! It is actually not as bad as it sounds. Let me explain.
E...more
Regina
I was fascinated with Barrett's account of her experience with Ronnie DeFoe of the famed Amityville murders. I've always been intrigued by this story, and for the longest time believed in--and was creeped out by--the now debunked Amityville Horror written by Jay Anson. Not only did she help bring forth DeFoe's story, she helped him conquer the evil presence surrounding him and attain a measure of peace though at a great expense to her and her family. Barnett's detailed descriptions of her occult...more
Julie Irvin
Not sure I believe this tall tale, but it is a page turner for sure!
Lea Schroeder
May 16, 2013 Lea Schroeder is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Seems so far really good!! Enjoying it!!
Maren Scheel-nock
Maren Scheel-nock marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Steven
Steven added it
Aug 04, 2014
Angela Pezel
Angela Pezel marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Dave Courtney
Dave Courtney marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Valerie  Shampine
Valerie Shampine marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
JoAnn Peck
JoAnn Peck marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Nikki
Nikki added it
Jun 02, 2014
Chathura
Chathura marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Lori Smith
Lori Smith marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Reviews 2 4 Sep 05, 2013 02:13AM
For over Twenty - five years Jackie has been using her unique gift as a psychic medium to help those of all walks of life . Her assistance with NYPD cold case has earned her an honorary badge . Jackie has been featured on tv shows, news papers and radio across the world.
More about Jackie Barrett...
The Haunting of the Gemini: A True Story of New York's Zodiac Murders The House That Kay Built