Start by marking “Doctor Who: Shada: The Lost Adventure by Douglas Adams” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Shada: The Lost Adventure by Douglas Adams

Doctor Who: Shada: The Lost Adventure by Douglas Adams

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  2,682 ratings  ·  443 reviews
"From the unique mind of Douglas Adams, legendary author of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," comes" Shada," a Doctor Who story scripted for the television series "Doctor Who," but never produced--and now, transformed into an original novel..."
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing
Imagine how dangerous a LOT of knowledge is...
The Doctor's old friend and fellow Tim
Published June 1st 2012 by Ace Books

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Alejandro
One of the best Doctor Who's novels that you'll ever read!

WHO

The Doctor: The Fourth Doctor

Companions: Romana II & K-9

WHERE

Cambridge University, 1979

WHAT

The Fourth Doctor visits his good friend and also a Time Lord, the Professor Chronotis, on his office at Cambridge, responding to a message by him. However, first, Chronotis doesn't remember having to call them; second, he has a powerful and dangerous item with him; third, a crazy villain is after that item.

At the age of five, Skagra
Dan 1.0
The Doctor and Romana receive a mysterious distress signal, leading them to Cambridge University, home of The Doctor's old friend and fellow Time Lord, Professor Chronotis. Chronotis inadvertantly lets a Time Lord artifact, a book entitled The Worshipful and Ancient Law of Gallifrey, pass into the hands of a clueless young student. Unfortunately, an egomanic called Skagra also has designs on the book and will do anything to get it. Can The Doctor find the book, stop Skagra's nefarious scheme, an ...more
Apatt
“The stranger looked between her and the spectrograph and seemed to come to a decision. He smiled suddenly and unexpectedly, with teeth like two rows of great gleaming tombstones. ‘Hello, I’m the Doctor,’ he said, extending a hand.”

Dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum (etc.)… Ooo-ee-ooo OooEEooo… oooooEEooooo… OoooEoooo… oooeEoooo… Du Du Du Du… Du Du Du Du…

Sorry, I always get the urge to do that when I review a Doctor Who book (this is only my second one*, perhaps I can refrain from doing this by the thi
Melda

Benim biricik Douglas'ım ve Doktor'um;

Sizi çok seviyorum ben.

Saygılarımla.
Melanie
Jun 03, 2012 Melanie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: DW-fans, Douglas Adams fans, people who love quirky stories
Shelves: doctor-who
Okay, some coherent thoughts ... THIS BOOK WAS BRILLIANT. Nothing really struck me as boring, silly or un-Doctor-Who-ish. I laughed, I cheered, I was excited and most important, I felt I was in the middle of the action of the book.

Gareth Roberts managed to write as funny as Adams without trying to imitate him and failing horribly. You really felt the presence of Douglas, but it was at the same moment not some bad imitation of his funniness and genius. That's no insult to Gareth Roberts, though.
Branwen *Blaidd Drwg*
"One thing I've learnt from being the Doctor's friend is that the universe is full of wonderful things, amazing opportunities. And you have to grab them with both hands. And hope they never end."

Best. Doctor. Who. Book. EVER.

For real and for true. This is the cherry on the top of the sundae, the warm blanket and hot mug of tea after a long wintry day, it is a wonderful and incredible book and I never wanted it to end!

I did start out having high hopes for it, since I have listened to the Big Fin
Terence
Oct 09, 2012 Terence rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dr Who fans (esp. the 4th)
Shelves: sf-fantasy
As a rule I don’t read Doctor Who novels. I enjoy (mostly) the new series, and I loved the old series when the PBS station in St. Louis aired them when I was a kid. When I was that kid, I got a three-in-one volume of the Fourth Doctor’s (my favorite’s) adventures written by Terry Nation from the Science Fiction Book Club, and I know (but can’t remember the titles) of a few other novelizations I read. I can’t say that I ever acquired a taste for them, however. Certainly not one that equaled my yo ...more
Nicholas Whyte
http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/1924079.html[return][return][return]We've waited a long time for this, the lost novelisation of the lost Doctor Who story, brought to life from the final version of Adams' script by one of the best-placed of the current Who authors. And it is pretty damn good. Having watched both the 1992 video of the surviving parts of the original 1979 filming, and the webcast version with Paul McGann, and also read a previous fan-produced novelisation, the single most important t ...more
Robin
I don't mean to be crude here, but I'm going to be. Please look away if your sensibilities are easily insensibled.

HOLY SHIT! A DOUGLAS ADAMS DOCTOR WHO THAT FEATURES REG? It's over. The world is over. Douglas Adams won. Reading this is actually going to be anti-climactic now.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled Goodreads post.

Done!
that was good. if you've read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, this story will be a little familiar, but I still recommend it.
aside from the Doctor, R
David Brzezinski
For fans of the classic Doctor Who, Shada was a story of legend, even before this novelization. Written by Douglas Adams and intended to be a six part series for Tom Baker's fourth Doctor, the series was never finished because of a strike. Some of the footage shot for the series did eventually surface as part of The Five Doctors special.

Now, thanks to Gareth Roberts, himself a veteran of the new Doctor Who series, we can finally see what this unfinished series might have looked like.

The story, i
Mark
Jul 12, 2014 Mark rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Douglas Adams or/and Doctor Who
Recommended to Mark by: The incredible Tom Baker
This book always starts as an abandoned tv serial that never came to completion due to a strike. So one of Douglas Adams tales never got the treatment it deserves and was wanted by the fans of the show. And in a brilliant world he himself would have written this book but alas he did not and can no longer do it due to his being no longer among us living, as we like to call ourselves.

SHADA the book as written by Gareth Roberts based upon Adams material is a hoot and then some.

It is about a book th
Ezgisu K.
Şimdi, DW hayranı olduğum için oylamada şike var diyebilirsiniz. İnkar edemem.

Harika bir fantastik kitaptı. Doctoaaa, Tardis, yoldaşlar, kötü adamlar... Her şey harikaydı. Olay döngüsü kesinlikle ilgi cekiciydi. Fantastik kitaplardan hoslaniyorsaniz mutlaka okumanız gereken bir kitap.

Harika kitap. Harika. Harika. Allons-y. Geronimoooo. Okuyun bunu. ^.^
Robert
What a treat it was to listen to Lalla Ward give voice and character to this "lost" story of Shada. One additional star is awarded in the rating because of her narration. John Leeson also provides the voice of K-9, which adds even more fun.

This novelization proves that Shada had the promise to become a true classic story from the golden age of Doctor Who. It's truly a shame that a strike at the BBC derailed what promised to be a unique and significant story in the canon of the Doctor Who univers
Kribu
4.75 stars.

This was, well, excellent. I remember watching the reconstructed version of Shada, with the actually filmed material + the Tom Baker narrated parts, some years ago, and thinking that it was a huge pity that this story never got finished. Even in its incomplete form it was obvious it would have been not just up there with City of Death as my favourite season 17 story but would quite possibly even have made it up into my top Fourth Doctor stories overall.

So, yeah. I was sad.

When I hear
Mel
So when I first heard they were novelising Shada I couldn't think why. It seemed almost disrespectful to Douglas Adams and really who would be able to do it justice? Then I went and read some of the novels that Gareth Roberts had written about Doctor and Romana and knew he was exactly who should be doing this! This book was brilliant! It was hilarious. The characterisation was perfect. The first half was definitely my favourite. All the jokes about Skagra looking like a disco queen were perfect. ...more
Mike
Sep 22, 2012 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
In the past (thank you WGBH) I had the chance to watch Dr. Who. By the time I learned of it, the programme was more than a decade old and Tom Baker was taking over the role of the Doctor. I remember thinking that the whole concept was brilliant and ludicrous in roughly equal parts. Given its small budget, the often cheesy effects were tempered by the imagination of the writers and the fun that obviously was designed in. Dr. Who was a Children’s program yes, but one that did not pamper the audien ...more
Donovan
What can I say...Dr Who meets The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. In all my years as a fan of both, I had no idea that Douglas Adams wrote any Dr Who episode. And now I find he wrote three. This on, Shada and two others being The Pirate Planet and City of Death.
Unfortunately Shada was not finished and the versions that were released are only dumbed-up versions. Then along comes a VERY capable man by the name of Gareth Roberts who (was hoodwinked by his capabilities, ego and love of Dr Who) wa
Ben Babcock
I don’t often read novels set in my favourite television or cinematic universe any more. I have fond memories of when I was much younger, and I had the time and freedom to virtually camp out in the library, of borrowing whatever Star Trek novels they happened to have available that day. After I became more comfortable with original SF and fantasy, I started to shy away from media tie-in novels. As I grew up and started to follow those television series with more interest, I found it difficult to ...more
Jared Millet
Here's a fun bit of fluff: New-Who writer Gareth Roberts' novelization of Old-Who writer Douglas Adams' famous unfilmed screenplay that was axed by a strike at the BBC. As evidenced by Roberts' afterword, the novel Shada is an expansion and reworking of the original story into something a little grander and truer to the ideas that the late Adams was trying to squeeze by on limited 1980's TV production values.

The result is something that's fun to read on a Sunday afternoon, but doesn't quite meas
Harold Ogle
"Shada" is the name of a "Doctor Who" serial from 1980, written by Douglas Adams right around the time he was becoming famous for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Shada is the novel that Gareth Roberts based on the "Shada" story, using the remains of what Adams wrote as a starting point.

Roberts does a convincing job writing Adams, perhaps even more convincing than what Colfer did with And Another Thing... a few years earlier. The story of the TV serial is pretty interesting in itself, whic
Mary
Great book kept me guessing the whole time on the edge of my seat most of the time couldn't put it down once i began it the characterizations of the Doctor and Romana were perfect and interesting look at the history of timelords legends and into there nightmares and Gallifray most wanted
Adam Stone
This version of Shada has been written by Gareth Roberts based on Douglas Adam’s original scripts and it is a fully realised version of the script of the uncompleted story that is much better than the Tom Baker narrated version of the story released on BBC Video twenty years ago and the Big Finish version starring Paul McGann produced ten years ago.

This is because the whole thing now flows much better than it ever did before and makes a lot more sense as a whole piece and is a whole lot more en
Stef
I am a die hard devoted Doctor Who fan. My father used to rock me to sleep with repeats of the Tom Baker years playing on PBS. I have read almost every hardback book written about the last three doctors (and if I haven't read them yet, they are probably piled up on my bookcases). When I saw that Gareth Roberts had completed Douglas Adams' Shada I was extremely interested and excited, and purchased it right then.

Yes, you read right, Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Adams. He was a
Matthew Kresal
In 1979, Douglas Adams was working as the script editor on Doctor Who. Having written or co-written two stories for the series all ready (including the fan favorite City Of Death) and on the brink of his own creation The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy becoming a worldwide success, Adams wrote his Doctor Who swansong, Shada. The story was partially filmed before a BBC strike led to the story being left uncompleted and thus never shown on television. Now, over 30 years since those events and mor ...more
David Sarkies
Mar 04, 2015 David Sarkies rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Doctor Who freaks
Recommended to David by: My friend Paul
Shelves: sci-fi
A Doctor Who serial that was never completed
29 December 2012

I can't actually call this the famous lost episode of the original Doctor Who namely because there are actually a number of episodes that have been officially lost. While some have resurfaced over the years since the BBC went about destroying these episodes, there are still quite a number of them from the first and second Doctors that are missing and will probably never be found. This particular episode, though, was only half made and
Dark Matter
Shada by Gareth Roberts is a Doctor Who adventure with comedy and pathos in the best pantomime tradition. Die-hard long-term Doctor Who fans know the story of the unfinished Douglas Adams script starring Tom Baker as the Doctor and Lalla Ward as his companion Romana. The script was unfinished, shooting was rushed. Conflict on set was the last straw; this story was cancelled after some scenes were shot.

About 20 years ago hubby and I found the shot scenes with a script available for hire from a DV
Chris Limb
Shada is very much a story whose reputation precedes it.

I first became aware of it in 1979 - when questioning my eight year old brother about a list of the titles of the stories in the next season of Doctor Who he'd seen when our Dad had taken him into work (at the BBC) one day. At the time the title sounded a bit odd to me. It wasn't The Horror of something or the something of Terror. I decided that he must have misread it or couldn't remember it properly, so I forgot all about it...

Within a ye
Susan Ferguson
The unfinished television episode of Dr Who (a strike stopped taping), based on the latest script notes and intentions of Douglas Adams. Adams was not particularly happy with the script - he had a lot of things to say and ideas to work in, but could not. So Gareth Roberts took over the task. Adams did use some of the ideas in a later novel, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.
This was an enjoyable read - having seen the sections of the television show and being familiar with the fourth Docto
Walk
If you are going to not film a Doctor Who story at least make from the pen of a second rate mind.

Unfortunately the BBC didn't agree so ended up not filming Shada by Douglas Adams, a strike leaving the series incomplete. Douglas not as unhappy as you might imagine.

Lucky for us all then the BBC at least allowed Gareth Roberts the opportunity to write the book of this effectively lost adventure.

Originally intended for TV in 1980 it took till 2012 to appear in book form.

Douglas Adams holds a very sp
How about for kids? 7 35 Jun 08, 2014 05:45AM
Not on US Kindle? 2 10 Dec 05, 2013 12:50AM
La Stamberga dei ...: Diario di lettura di Daniele: Shada 1 4 Nov 23, 2013 08:11AM
  • Doctor Who - The Wheel of Ice
  • Doctor Who: The Silent Stars Go By
  • Doctor Who: Festival of Death
  • Doctor Who: The Way Through the Woods
  • Doctor Who: Prisoner of the Daleks
  • The Roots of Evil (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #4)
  • Doctor Who: Borrowed Time
  • Doctor Who: Shining Darkness
  • Doctor Who: Dark Horizons
  • Doctor Who: Apollo 23
  • The Nameless City
Gareth Roberts has written TV scripts for various soap operas (including Brookeside, Springhill, and Emmerdale), Randall & Hopkirk (deceased), the revival of Doctor Who, the Sarah Jane Adventures, and Wizards vs Aliens.

Also for the Doctor Who universe, he has written the interactive adventure Attack of the Graske, the mobile phone TARDISODEs accompanying the 2006 series, several Big Finish aud
More about Gareth Roberts...
Doctor Who: Only Human Doctor Who: I Am a Dalek Doctor Who: The One Doctor (Big Finish Audio Drama, #27) The Highest Science The Romance of Crime

“At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist. This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - relief or despair. Only Skagra responded to it by thinking - 'wait a second. That means there's a situation vacant!” 20 likes
“The more the merrier. Too many cooks spoil the broth of destruction.” 5 likes