Start by marking “The Ship of Lost Souls #1” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Ship of Lost Souls #1

Rachelle Delaney

The Ship of Lost Souls #1 (The Ship of Lost Souls #1)

Captain Scarlet McCray has a problem: her crew is bored. And their boredom means she's not being a good captain. So when Jem Fitzgerald arrives in the Islands with a map to a famous treasure, Scarlet offers up her crew, the Lost Souls. But searching for treasure is never easy. And Scarlet and Jem discover much more than they set out to find.
Published July 1st 2012 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published February 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Ship of Lost Souls #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ship of Lost Souls #1

Luke Hall
Aug 28, 2015 Luke Hall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it aloud to my 8 & 6 year olds and while it was a bit above them, they enjoyed it. Fun, original story with likeable characters. Weaknesses: it seemed a bit unnecessarily long - took a couple library renewals to finish it - and too many faceless characters made trying to distinguish members of the crew pretty difficult.
Sha Burg
Ship of Lost Souls was pretty good. It has been a while since I read it but to my knowledge, there is no 4th book coming out and there were alot of lose ends in the third book.
Jaikaies
Mar 18, 2011 Jaikaies rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pirate wannabes
I picked up this book, even though it is kids/YA, because I was looking to read more Canadian authors. I think it is a really cute novel even though it isn't within my usual genre of choice and would suggest it particularly to anyone around 10-15 years old or anyone who has ever wanted to be a pirate.

Who wouldn't want to read about the crazy adventures you can have on a pirate ship run by children? There are kidnappings, wacky (adult) pirates, pillaging and plundering, treasure hunting, mutiny,
Terry
Big Kid Reaction: I was hooked by page two! The story is fun and fresh, the characters engaging, and it's pretty wholesome, too. Scarlet and Jem are the main characters, but it is the cast round them that really help them shine.

Pros: Lots of fast-paced action, a motley crew, and some twists and turns make this fun and leave you looking for the next adventure.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub.
Anne Beauchemin
Apr 28, 2011 Anne Beauchemin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book to read with a class or a fun exciting book for a child to read on their own. Funny, strong characters (the captain is a girl which makes for a nice twist)and fine writing. Loved the ending. The Ship Of Lost Souls
Matt Stevens
May 01, 2011 Matt Stevens rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My daughter read this book and absolutely loved it. She can't stop talking about it and is even running around the house dressed as a pirate. It has inspired her to write her own book on a band of girl astronauts. Any book that inspires my children to read and write more is a must read in my books!
Julie Burtinshaw
Jun 18, 2011 Julie Burtinshaw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and was so impressed that this was a first novel – strong female lead character and a whole new way of looking at pirates. It's both funny and poignant and a great chapter book for kids from probably grade five to eight (and their parents)!
Melissa
Y'know, this was a kind of fun pirate adventure book. Think Treasure Island and Pirates of the Caribbean with kids. Not bad.
Taryn
May 01, 2011 Taryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly a delightful story! Humorous with likable characters that kids can identify with easily. A captivating debut!
Stven
Mar 30, 2013 Stven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stven by: library
A light-hearted little pirates and treasure-hunting story, nicely constructed and pleasantly written.
Joelle Anthony
May 21, 2011 Joelle Anthony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very fun read! Pirates and treasure and adventure. What more could you want?
Ashley Lambert-Maberly
Ashley Lambert-Maberly marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Ella
Ella marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
JordanRiley14
JordanRiley14 marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Jen Reyes
Jen Reyes marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Geneva
Geneva rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Jaskaran
Jaskaran marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Manpreet
Manpreet marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Nov 15, 2015
:leah
:leah marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Patrick Marley
Patrick Marley marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Rachelle Delaney is the author of several middle grade novels, including The Metro Dogs of Moscow, a finalist for the 2014 Silver Birch Award and the CLA’s Book of the Year for Children Award, and its sequel, The Circus Dogs of Prague. Her first novel, The Ship of Lost Souls, was a finalist for the Sheila A. Egoff Children’s Literature Prize, the Chocolate Lily Book Award, and the Red Cedar Book A ...more
More about Rachelle Delaney...

The Ship of Lost Souls (3 books)
  • Lost Souls Of Island X