Start by marking “The Fatal Fortune” as Want to Read:
The Fatal Fortune

The Fatal Fortune (Guinevere Jones #4)

Available digitally for the first time!
Fortune doesn't shine on Guinevere Jones and Zac Justis; it puts them on the trail of a cunning charlatan in this riveting novel from "New York Times "bestselling author Jayne Ann Krentz writing as Jayne Castle.
When Guinevere Jones discovers that a so-called fortune-teller is making big profits by deceiving her clients, she vows to
Published August 1st 2012 by Portfolio (Creative Services) Ltd (first published December 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Fatal Fortune, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fatal Fortune

The plot in this book is intriguing with a twist on fortune-telling that I never would have dreamed up myself. Watching Guinevere and Zac move through the last of their adventures and get closer to each other was fun and felt like familiar ground in that the essence of a JAK book was there throughout - unlike the first book in the series which I found delightfully unexpected, particularly in the dialogue. The only downside of the four books in this series is that there are only four books in thi ...more
Jul 29, 2012 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This author is one of my "must buy" authors and I have enjoyed this series. It is too dated for me to really love but was certainly a worthwhile read!! I'm just glad Zac finally got to move in!!
Sep 02, 2012 Jeri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries

Older book but cute characters. Very like "Moonlighting".
Guinevere Jones discovers that one of the girls at her temp agency is being scammed by a fortune-teller. Madam Zoltana is making a big profit by playing on her client's fears. To stop the scam, Gwen asks Zac Justis to help her feret out the charlatan. Soon they uncover a crystal bowl, a black-mailer, and secrets that may destroy Gwen and Zac's relationship.

I thought this was the best of the series. It's a light mystery with a Nancy Drew feel to it...if Nancy was 30 years old. My rating: 4.5 Star
Aug 20, 2012 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The last of the Guinevere Jones & Zac Justis "mysteries"
This series is really a glance back at the 1970s. One forgets how the technology has changed not only our lives but the way characters in our books interacted and lived.
Gwen is, an excellent example, she's not exactly a feminist but clearly sees herself as a strong modern woman, who has parlayed a spotty career history into the perfect qualifications to open her own temp agency; she not only knows what to look for in a good bar-maid, t
Sep 13, 2014 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fourth book in the series and Gwen decides to take on her own case. One of her employees has fallen under the spell of a crooked psychic. Gwen is determined to prove to the young woman that the psychic is just manipulating her and has no special powers. As usual, Gwen involves Zac and the investigation becomes dangerous. Nice ending and it's always lovely to see romantic characters make progress in a relationship instead of just stying in a status quo for books on end.
I read the first Guinevere Jones story a few days ago, and had to buy and read the others. Well written, humorous and just the slightest bit sexy they're perfect reads. Guinevere considers herself a worldly business business woman, yet she's very sweet and unexpected. Zac Justis isn't the typical hero either; he isn't wealthy and sought after but his persistence and tenacious nature make him sexier than Christian Gray.
Rexanna Ipock-Brown
A book with a strong woman who collides with a strong man and get entangled in murder and mayhem always gets my attention. This one does it with style and class with Ms. Castle/Krentz's genius storytelling and writing.
charmaine White

As always Jayne Castle comes through with an excellent story.Keeps you guessing,with one thrill after another.Only one more book left in this series.
Jul 13, 2014 Grace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last of the Guinevere Jones and Zac Justis series, and the best. It has as interesting plot that moves along quickly, and the characters are finally showing a glimmer of the charm that Krentz is known for.
This had an interesting little plot with a quick wrap up. Again I really enjoyed a look into the early writings by Jayne Castle and I liked the Guinevere Jones series. I wish they have been more developed books but they are cute fun reads as they stand. If your looking for a blast to the past on a beach day this series is totally worth trying.
Aug 15, 2014 Frances rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
such a shame that this is the last of this series. would love to read more about Guinevere and Zac
published in "sinister and fatal" along with the sinister touch
Julie (jjmachshev)
Jul 05, 2008 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-reads
Sometimes fascinating, sometimes humorous trip back to the 80s, 1980s that is. "The Fatal Fortune" by Jayne Ann Krentz writing as Jayne Castle is the final of a 4 book short series written to appeal to female fans of Remington Steele and Moonlighting.

She runs a temp employment agency and he's a security consultant, but she keeps dragging him into investigations as the two continually grow closer in their own relationship.

Cute series.
It was OK. Took me a while to slog though it. My least favorite of the four.
Jun 09, 2015 Farah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite in all four. I didn't want it to end , the book was extremely entertaining and the mystery got me thinking quite hard though I have to admit the conclusion wasn't the wow I was waiting for but it was still pretty good. It was hard saying goodbye to both Guinevere and Zach .. I definitely wanted more , can't believe I postponed reading those books for so long , I absolutely loved them.
Diane ~Firefly~
One of Gwen's temps is being scammed by a psychic, so Gwen decides to investigate against Zach's advice. She also runs into a former flame while filling in for her temp. Some nice old-fashioned social engineering, since this is set in the 80s. A nice end to the series that shows good progression of their relationship.
Nov 04, 2012 Lara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-in-2012
So, this book was poorly titled. It should have been the title of the previous book in the series. However, I did enjoy seeing the relationship between Zac and Gwen continue to develop. The story was a bit farfetched, but still somehwhat entertaining.
I have enjoyed reading this series. I can see so many hints at things this author has used in later books. I find that I still enjoy them here. The villain was a bit too obvious for me but it was still an enjoyable read.
Oct 23, 2013 Paraphrodite rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, 2013
A short but enjoyable series, even though it's now quite dated. I thought narrator Kate Rudd did a pretty good job with these books. As for the H/H, they are exactly what you'd expect from JAK.
2.5 stars. # 4 of 4 in the series.

Series conclusion. Merely (and barely) competent JAK. I liked the characters, but they're in a forgettable story with an unbelievable mystery.
Aug 29, 2012 Reenie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the whole series and was glad to find Amazon had added the series on Kindle.
Brenda Audiobooks Only
Narrated by Kate Rudd - Narration 5*s

Story - 3.5 rounded up

Glenn Harris
Another pretty good Guinevere Jones novella.
Kay Webb
on kndle
Jj marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2016
Joanne marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2016
Victoria Froman
Victoria Froman rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2016
Laura rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2016
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: The Fatal Fortune (1986) Book 4 1 3 Sep 27, 2012 11:16AM
  • Nightwalker
  • Full Bloom

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Sant
More about Jayne Castle...

Guinevere Jones (4 books)
  • The Desperate Game (Guinevere Jones, #1)
  • The Chilling Deception (Guinevere Jones, #2)
  • The Sinister Touch (Guinevere Jones, #3)