Start by marking “Ravishing the Heiress” as Want to Read:
Ravishing the Heiress

Ravishing the Heiress (Fitzhugh Trilogy #2)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,430 Ratings  ·  451 Reviews
Millicent understands the terms of her arranged marriage all too well. She gets to be a Countess by marrying an impoverished Earl. And in return, the Earl Fitzhugh receives the benefit of her vast wealth, saving his family from bankruptcy. Because of her youth, they have agreed to wait eight years before consummating the marriage--and then, only to beget an heir. After whi ...more
Published July 1st 2012 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about Ravishing the Heiress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ravishing the Heiress

Karla
Jill
Jul 05, 2012 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

So, we come to it at last.
A mundane marital task, was this not? An obligation he'd put off for too long. Why then, as he advanced toward the bedroom, did he feel as if he were being swept out to sea? That the tides and currents would be unlike anything he'd ever known in the calm estuary that had been his marriage?

Millicent (Millie) Graves, an heiress was wed at sixteen. Her father determined that they be joined to a titled family, arranged the marriage to the impoverished Earl Fitzhugh. Fitz, a
Rachel (BAVR)
Didi
4.5 STARS

I LOVED this. Let me first just say that the title is quite misleading. Ravishing The Heiress is a title that sounds like you'd be reading a bodice ripper, or that the story is quite lusty and not very deep. In reality it was none of these things. It was angsty, emotional, heartbreaking and beautiful all at the same time. This is not a quick historical romance and although it's just under 300 pages, it unravels slowly, letting you witness the evolution of love from friendship.

This also
Rachel Reads Ravenously
HELL HAS FROZEN OVER

photo hell froze over.png

I found a historical romance book that I LOVED!!! And it's all Didi's fault because of this spectacular review she wrote.

I have a long history of loathing with historical romance. As a history major in college I get nitpicky about the details and often end up screaming things at the book such as "why are you not pregnant yet?!" or "why are you talking like a millennial!". <---Neither of these two things were an issue with this book.

Ravishing the Heiress (w
Kelly22
4.00 Stars - Historical Romance/Victorian

Fitz

Photobucket

The majority first part of the book was amazing. You read this book with a very heavy heart. The dialogues, the emotions, the way the story commenced, matured and proceeded, the visits to past and the returns to present, make your heart constrict so bad that it pretty much makes you one of those candidates who cry time to time from reading a book. It’s one of those books you feel helpless reading. You feel helpless that you can’t solve the problem; ne
Las
The take home message of this book: Be a good girl, never complain, don't make any waves, and eventually he'll fall in love with you.

Yeah, I hated everything about this book.

It's love at first sight for Millie. She just sees Fitz, and boom, it's love. I'd give her a pass on that since she was only 16, but since she shows no signs of growing up in the course of this story, I'm calling it Fail #1.

Fitz still fancies himself in love with Isabelle after not having had anything to do with her for 8 y
Elisabeth Roam
I'm sad to say I was disappointed by this book. I was really looking forward to it and even paid the full price for an ebook version. After all is said and done, almost 9 bucks is a little much for a book that really doesn't deliver.

I wanted to like it because the story line is amazing and has so much potential. I think Sherry Thomas is a good writer, Some of the lines in the book were very poetic and true of love and life.

I get the main idea with Fitz, he's heartbroken about not getting to li
.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...]
Wicked Incognito Now
In a nutshell, this newest Sherry Thomas novel is rather similar to some of her past successful stories. This has all of the unrequited angst of Not Quite a Husbandand Private Arrangements, without the past of betrayal and heartache. The heartache is there, of course, but in a blameless form.

Millie is the heiress, and Fitz holds the title. Like so many HR plots, Fitz must marry the heiress in order to bring his estate back from debt and ruin. They are both extremely young, and to make it worse,
Cecilia
Disappointing. I like the marriage of convenience plot, and I love the way Sherry Thomas does angst. I even liked the flips back and forth in time - it was a slightly different way to get the story of how the relationship developed between the two protagonists. I didn't even mind the heroine's inability to speak up for herself for most of the book; she seemed to be functioning mainly on pride, and that made sense to me. However, what did not appeal to me was the hero's behaviour. I get that he h ...more
Kainat Ijaz 《UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT》
Apr 17, 2016 Kainat Ijaz 《UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT》 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kainat Ijaz by: Pang
Shelves: fav-hr
4.5 Stars.
Full review to come...
“It was the beginning of the end. Or perhaps, it was only the end of something that was never meant to begin.”

One sided love, huh?
This was way better than I thought it would be. Wow, this was very different from the HR I usually read. Hats off to Thomas! Will be reading her more books soon.
Dija
The absolute best thing about Sherry Thomas's romances (among many) is how unconventional they always are. She goes beyond the typical reformed rake meets wallflower spinster and they live HEA plot to create lively, passionate, and heartwarming stories that are entirely original. Ravishing the Heiress is no exception.

Fitz married Millie for her money, at the expense of losing his childhood sweetheart, Isabelle. Nearly a decade has passed and they've gradually settled into a comfortable married l
Kinga
Mar 07, 2013 Kinga rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever seen a dog or a cat woken from general anaesthesia? It’s walking around all dazed, bumping against the walls. That’s me after reading Sherry Thomas. She is the best romance writer in the history of the universe. I had read very few romances until I found Sherry Thomas, and since I found her I’ve just been trying to find another one but every other historical romance is no more than an echo of what Sherry Thomas can do. If I could live in a book, I’d love to be the heroine of one of ...more
Amy
Jul 02, 2012 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fv-review, ppb

Such a depressive, angst ridden story up until the bitter end. The author has a profound voice (although not one I enjoy), however the two books I've read have both had miserable protagonists.

I'm fine with angst if it's with a couple that loves each other but when the hero is married to the heroine and pining over another woman he loves throughout the majority of the story, it does not make for enjoyable reading for me.

I even cringed in the one love scene between the main couple because during
willaful
You know the video responses they have on Youtube? All the while I was reading Ravishing the Heiress, I felt it was a literary response to Georgette Heyer's A Civil Contract. It's not plagiarism, it's not fan fiction, it's not homage... "reconstruction" is the word that comes to mind. As if Thomas had taken the bones of that story apart and then put it back together a more appealing way. (No offense to those who think A Civil Contract is just fine just the way it is.)

This is the story of a marri
R.
Absolutely splendid.

I'm a sucker for both marriages of convenience and wallflowers in unrequited love, so the fact that this novel combined both those tropes meant it was already set to be one of my favorites, but Sherry Thomas goes above and beyond.

One might think that by having the hero and heroine immediately engage in a pact of platonic conduct on which they do not renege, Thomas has hamstrung herself and removed one of the most... interesting aspects of the marriage of convenience: the navi
Zoe Liew
Mar 08, 2013 Zoe Liew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
There is something so romantic about Millie and Fitz's relationship. Their love is not built on lust or on the thrill and adrenaline provided by adventures but mutual trust and respect as well as all the decisions they've made together and all the obstacles they've overcome together.

And I disagree with the author, respectfully. Isabelle would not have been right for him. Even if Isabelle was the one with the money, had they married, their marriage would be filled with heat for quite a number of
seton
Dec 09, 2011 seton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-o-c, unrequited
It's coming out on my birthday so I'll think of it as a b-day present especially for moi from one of my favorite authors.
Mary B.
Loved. LOVED! This one may squeak its way onto my favorites shelf. I cried. When a book makes me cry I know it's good. So many of the themes in this story worked for me. I think what really made this one so special was the solid, honest, really really REAL friendship that developed between the main characters. I felt for the heroine. At times I wanted to give her a swift kick in the ass and tell her just to GO FOR IT already! But that only built the tension up more, and so when it finally happen ...more
Mandi Schreiner
Jul 02, 2012 Mandi Schreiner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Favorite Quote: Some hopes were weeds, easy to eradicate with a yank and a pull. Some, however, were vines, fast growing, tenacious, and impossible to clear. As she played the music box again, alone in the drawing room, she began to realize that her were of the latter kind.

She would never stop hoping.

The first 90% of this book is absolutely incredible. The angst and the torment made me die a little on the inside. It’s one of those books that you will start to read and will not be able to put dow
new_user
Jul 19, 2012 new_user rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Baaah, I want to read the third one now! I mostly enjoyed this, but not as much as I expected to, because the resolution was so short. One of Sherry Thomas's weaknesses. She can deliver a lot of misery, but the happy joy joy times, not so much. So this wasn't so much a married man falling in love with his wife as a record of him neglecting her for eight years. There were romantic hints and moments building something subtle, but no effusiveness, no demonstrations, except for a scene or two at the ...more
Aayesha Khatri
This book left me with a bad taste in my mouth because of the awful hero. It didn't feel like a romance novel, it didn't feel like fantasy land. And the reason I read romance novels is to fall into that sweet fantasy land.

(view spoiler)

The only reason I continued reading the book was to see how the author pulled off their happy ending. She did it well, I must s
Remy Kripton
5 Lovely Stars...!!

After reading about Millie and Fitz in book one I was really anxious to read their story. I had expected a lot from this book and it meet my every demand...!!

I loved Millie from book 1. She is so pleasant and intelligent in her own way. I really liked her persona. And it was clear as day that she as hopelessly in love with her husband.

Fitz is refreshing. Yes he is a player, sort of. But is considerate, generous in other words a perfect older brother. I was very curious to le
Dorothea
Jul 17, 2012 Dorothea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I'm not sure that the title and cover illustration of Ravishing the Heiress are any better than those of the first book in the trilogy, Beguiling the Beauty (I hate the verb "ravish," and imagining the alignment of that lady's vertebrae is a completely unromantic pastime) but I did like the story and the characters much better.

I suspect this will be an unpopular opinion. One thing I have learned from reading other people's reviews of romance novels is that for many people, the hero having sex
LuvGirl
3.5 stars. This book could have easily been a five star read if it wasn't for the annoying flashbacks, and secondary characters taking valuable time away from the hero and heroine. I loved the story-line. It was unique for the leads to agree to wait eight years before consummating their marriage and for the hero to live his life as if he wasn't married. It made things very interesting when they finally came together. The hero being in love with another woman that loved him was angst driven frust ...more
Brie C.
Originally posted at Romance Around the Corner

Lately I’ve been unsuccessful finding a Historical Romance that I like enough to finish. When I heard about this book, I was so curious that I even considered pre-ordering it. Then I kept hearing more and more about how angsty it was and I became a bit wary, but after reading a couple of Ms. Thomas’ previous books, I decided to give it a try.

This is the second book in a series featuring the Fitzhugh siblings, but I think they stand alone well, or at
Victoria
Jul 06, 2012 Victoria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
5+ stars A HEART WRENCHING AND WELL WRITTEN LOVE STORY!

Sherry Thomas is without a doubt one of the best Historical Romance authors out right now. I adore Ms. Thomas's writing style, her prose is oh so elegant. I love the way she takes the time to develop complex and multidimensional characters in her novels.

Ravishing the Heiress is a slow, heart-breaking romance, filled with longing and repressed passion. It brought in me strong emotional memories of one of her earlier novels, Not Quite a Husba
Eastofoz
Nov 28, 2012 Eastofoz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
5 for the brilliant writing, 4.5 for the story/romance that concluded too abruptly and easily in the end.
Nefise
I always reluctanted to read Ms Thomas's books because of the plot. After her "The Luckiest Lady in London" book, I admitted that seh's a very talented author and I should try her some other books too.

This is my second choice. Usually I like to read unrequired love trope. Although this one is not what I expected to find about romance, it's a well-written story. Ms Thomas succeed to keep me on the edge whole book and I finished it very quickly on my time therm.

I agree most of readers about hero m
  • A Lady Awakened (Blackshear Family, #1)
  • At Your Pleasure
  • Unraveled (Turner, #3)
  • In For a Penny
  • The Black Hawk (Spymasters, #4)
  • A Notorious Countess Confesses (Pennyroyal Green, #7)
  • Confessions from an Arranged Marriage (The Burgundy Club, #4)
  • The Shadow and the Star (Victorian Hearts, #2)
  • A Perfect Scoundrel
  • Seven Nights to Forever
  • Secret Desires of a Gentleman (Girl Bachelors, #3)
  • To Have and To Hold (Wyckerley Trilogy, #2)
  • Indiscreet
  • The Temporary Wife
Sherry Thomas writes both historical romance and young adult fantasy.

On the romance side, she is one of the most acclaimed authors working in the genre today, her books regularly receiving starred reviews and best-of-the-year honors from trade publications. She is also a two-time winner of Romance Writers of America’s prestigious RITA Award.

On the young adult fantasy side, there isn't much to say
More about Sherry Thomas...

Fitzhugh Trilogy (3 books)
  • Beguiling the Beauty (Fitzhugh Trilogy, #1)
  • Tempting the Bride (Fitzhugh Trilogy, #3)

“Love without friendship is like a kite, aloft only when the winds are favorable. Friendship is what gives love its wings.” 24 likes
“Some things in life were truly difficult. Finding the source of the Nile, for example. Or exploring the South Pole. But falling out of love with a man who never looked at her twice, why should that prove an insurmountable challenge?” 10 likes