Start by marking “Red Templar” as Want to Read:
Red Templar

Paul Christopher

Red Templar (Templar #6)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  381 ratings  ·  34 reviews
After nearly losing his life in Africa, retired Army Ranger and historian John Holliday is ready for some R&R back in the U.S. But when a disheveled Russian called Genrikhovich intercepts him in the airport, Holliday's homecoming will have to wait.
Genrikhovich claims to know of a long-lost sword called Aos-the companion to Holliday's own Templar sword. Holliday quickl
Published January 1st 2012 by Signet Book

To ask other readers questions about Red Templar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Templar

Harvey Burgess
Paul Christopher's "Red Templar" is the sixth and far and away the best entry into his terrific Templar series featuring Col. John 'Doc' Holliday. Christopher (a well-cloaked pseudonym) further establishes his credentials as a master of developing characters and atmosphere, easily on a par with the greatest in any genre. In this episode, Holliday and sidekick Eddie Alfonso, a Cuban/Russian bear of a man who joined Holliday in a previous adventure, are pulled into a labyrinth of deception and int ...more
Matt
Well... I have to admit that I was highly unimpressed with this installment and feel that Mr. C may be slipping into the mediocrity he did with his previous series (the name escapes me). While some have called it a DaVinci-esque type book, I would not offer it that honour. The Templar theme has faded into the background as a secondary or even tertiary focus and the development of something related to that theme was entirely lost on me.

I will admit, Paul Christopher did a lot of background resear
Andrew Macrae
What do the Knights Templar, Vladimir Putin, Rasputin, Faberge Eggs, and Stalin’s secret subway have in common? They are all elements of this brash, bold, and bodacious mash-up of Dan Brown, Indiana Jones, and Grand Guignol theatre.

One-eyed, retired U.S. Army Ranger John Holliday is a twenty- first century Templar, a position he inherited with reluctance along with a bankcard providing access to the order’s seemingly unlimited funds. He and his friend and boon companion, Edimburgo Alfonso, a tal
Ryan Campbell
I've gone through the first six books in this series in the same number of days. At first the minor errors and inconsistencies (especially when it comes to weapons and the military) were minor detractions from a mediocre plot. Still, I enjoyed the different areas the author wrote about as well as his sometimes fanciful interpretation of history. Plot holes aside, I wanted to see how things would eventually turn out for the protagonist.

With this book, the series has reached a new low. It's hard t
Stephen
not the best in the series so far maybe the author is running out of ideas yes action paced but felt missing something
Laurie Tomchak
Excruciatingly badly written. The cuban character speaks ill-translated Spanish. One can only wonder how the author has done with the Russian passages. I tend to finish books, even if they are poorly written, but I'm tempted just to take this one only half-read to the used book store. It's like a cold war book in a time warp. I had hoped for more templar references. sigh. It didn't ever get better, though I enjoyed the glimpses of current Russian society. Women have little or no place in this wo ...more
Heather Baxter
This was probably my favorite ending of this series. I have to complain about the errors, though! In the first 5 books, Doc's dead wife is Amy and now suddenly she's Fay? And one page talks about Constantine's niece Sophia marrying Ivan the Terrible and on the next page that she became his Grandmother - thankfully that one is something you can look up to figure out, but it all adds up to distraction to me. Fun read otherwise.
Rita McDowell
Once again well done!

Another excellent read in the continuing story of Holliday and his adventures! Strongly recommend reading these books in the order written. While there are stand alone books, it is extremely interesting and enjoyable reading them in the order written. You will ask "what's next?" for the characters. Well done!
Rob
A decent read about the search for a templar secret in the heart of Russia. Good action throughout the novel. The author also does a great job to introduce each character - especially those who get killed off quickly afterwards. This makes each action episode feel more real.

I was confused at times trying to keep the templars, order the of phoenix, Russian 4, Catholic church, US government, and treasure hunters straight. After a while I just ignored all the elaborate connections between the group
Lorraine Webb
OK, so I didn't really start it today - I just finished it today. Started it about a week ago. I found it difficult to get into and never really bonded with the characters. Very visual storyline - you could tell it was written in the hopes that it might become a film. It would probably work better as a film. For me it was a book I didn't want to leave unfinished, but didn't find difficult to put down and pick up again later. I'd read another in the series if I spotted it on the hotel bookshelf a ...more
Renasha Mishra
An informative book with a gripping plot
Tommy
This is the 6th book in Christopher's Templar series and I have enjoyed every one of them. This one takes place mostly in Russia so the frequent use of Russian dialogue seemed to slow down the pace of my reading as I tried to pronounce the Russian words & then decifer what was said. There was also a lot of Spanish dialogue from the main character's sidekick. this also slowed down the pace as I don't know Spanish. However, the use of these languages did not deter from the storyline.
Laurence Bradbury
Paul Christopher’s Red Templar is a well written novel, in places the prose is without doubt superb. The story veritably gallops along with only one short hiatus where it gets briefly bogged down about two-thirds in. I personally would have preferred a little more detail and expansion at the “Find” near the end, potentially this could have promoted what is a good 4* book into a 5*. Probably the best of his “Doc Holiday” novels to date.
Bill Donhiser
While I enjoyed this book, I think I may have burned through Paul Christopher's works too quickly. This may have contributed to the feeling that it was just OK. I enjoyed the plot and characters but I felt it was more of a struggle to finish than it should have been. I will probably read the next in this series when it comes out but it is time for me to pursue other writers for a while
John Hanscom
About 3 1/2, actually. This is the 6th of his Templer series, and, though an exciting adventure story, it was a little too "Di Vinci Code" -ish for my tastes. It is one thing to say the Latin Church has interfered in politics, economics, etc. - there is no doubt, and other Denominations have as well. He comes a litle to close to anti-Roman Catholicism for my tastes.
Tracy
A lot better than the previous one. Had me gripped to the book. Mr. Christopher has changed direction a little bit from the previous ones, which to me makes good reading.

One problem, on page 96 it says that Doc Holliday is missing Fay(!!!) I thought Amy was his dead wife's name! So the proof reader did not do a good job. This is my only gripe with the book.
Patricia Mccammon
It gives a vivid picture of the many different factions in Russia. The history of Russia and its treasures are told while keeping the mystery going. The author dosn't picture any of the political parties in a good light from the government to the Churches. The mystery of the Templars are at the heart of the book. It makes you ready to read another of his books.
Stephen
This book takes Col. Holliday to Russia in the hunt for another of the 4 swords. In the course of the story, he ends up breaking into Ivan the Terrible's secret vaults. This book is awesome! The first 276 pages fly by, but the last 124 It barely took me half an hour to cover. If you are a fan of this series, this one is a must read.
Rachel
Not his best. Shoddy editing as well.
Melissa
By far my favorite of the series I mean come on Rasputin, Stalin, Ivan the Terrible and the Knight's Templar? All my favorite ingredients rolled into one. The ending almost made me flinch but the epilogue helped bring me back. Very nicely done. Thumbs way up for this one.
Judy Benvin
Good action/adventure using the "Dan Brown" formula. The sewer scenes were far too gross for my taste. And the lead character, supposedly a 'historian' burning a book? Outrageous!
Andrea
Not much, plot was difficult to follow, characters weren't sympathetic, in short, author didn't succeed in enticing me to care about the outcome and root for the hero.
Ed
I am enjoying the Templar series so far, and i am going to continue to read it. It is entertaining. However, Christopher's writing is a little inconsistent at times.
Doug Garnett
A good quick read. A bit absurd as a plot. But who can argue with Templars, Valadmir Putin, and a Bulgarian monk?
Rosemary A.
If you can have a new Dan Brown or Indiana Jones you can always have Paul Christopher.
Michelle Hanson
Love this series... the mix of history and action/adventure is nice..
Abraham
A nice and breathtaking novel if you like the Templar's stuff
Deb
A little hard to read, since it is not all in English.
David Pearson
Very enjoyable. I love Templar-related fiction.
Dugger
Another fun read from Paul Christopher!
  • The Genesis Plague
  • Newton's Fire
  • The Babylonian Codex
  • The Mask Of Troy (Jack Howard, #5)
  • The Nosferatu Scroll (Chris Bronson, #4)
  • The Deceit
  • The Admiral's Mark (Cotton Malone, #0.5)
  • Hidden in Time (Livingstone Chronicles, #2)
  • The Lost Relic (Ben Hope #6)
  • Beyond Eden (Eden Thrillers #2)
  • The Atlantis Revelation (Conrad Yeats Adventure, #3)
  • The Secret Crown (Jonathon Payne & David Jones, #6)
  • God's Mechanics: How Scientists and Engineers Make Sense of Religion
  • Let Our Fame Be Great: Journeys Among the Defiant People of the Caucasus
  • On the Fifth Day
  • The Medusa Amulet
  • Eagle Talons
  • The Darkening Field (Captain Alexei Dimitrevich Korolev, #2)
Paul Christopher is a pseudonym used by the author Christopher Hyde.

More about Paul Christopher...

Templar (9 books)
  • The Sword Of The Templars (Templar, #1)
  • The Templar Cross (Templar, #2)
  • The Templar Throne (Templar, #3)
  • The Templar Conspiracy (Templar, #4)
  • The Templar Legion (Templar, #5)
  • Valley Of The Templars (Templar, #7)
  • Lost City of the Templars (Templar, #8)
  • Secret of the Templars (Templar, #9)
The Sword Of The Templars (Templar, #1) The Templar Cross (Templar, #2) Michelangelo's Notebook (Finn Ryan, #1) The Templar Throne (Templar, #3) The Templar Conspiracy (Templar, #4)