Start by marking “Narrowboat Dreams: A Journey North by England's Waterways” as Want to Read:
Narrowboat Dreams: A Journey North by England's Waterways

Narrowboat Dreams: A Journey North by England's Waterways

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A voyage of discovery and escape along England's inland waterways Traveling by traditional narrowboat, author Steve Haywood heads north along two newly opened Pennine canals, a trip that takes him from Banbury in deepest Oxfordshire, through the vibrant modernity of Manchester, to the trendy affluence of Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire's answer to London's ciabatta belt. Wit ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Summersdale Publishers (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Narrowboat Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Narrowboat Dreams

Steve
Interesting reflection on changing times in industrial England, and a part of the network I don't know at all. Made me want to revisit the slow pace of canal travelling. Also happy memories of canal trip with Yorkie lass Yvonne, rest her soul.
Mervyn
Well although I have only been on a couple of narrow boat cruises I am keen to explore more and this book seemed to be an ideal read for a newbie.

It is very interesting and in many ways a very practical eyeopener to anyone who may have a rosy picture of cruising down a pristine, idyllic canal. It brings home the reality of difficult locks, low water levels, bad management and bad people.

However I did feel it went a little too far to discourage potential new liveaboards. Partly because, as the a
David Roberts
I am reviewing the book Narrowboat Dreams by Steve Haywood which is an excellent book which I bought from a car boot sale. This book is part autobiography and part travel guide and is about the author travelling around some of the most northerly canals in Britain. He comes from Leicester in the East Midlands which he rather amusingly says isn't regarded as the true Midlands to West Midlanders. They think you should come from somewhere like Dudley or Birmingham, famous for engineering. They also ...more
Jenn
Half the time when I was reading this book, I had to remind myself that it was NOT by one of the Top Gear guys - Haywood has the same sort of writing style and humour as they do. He's probably most like Jeremy, which is a good thing.

Anyway,the book was remarkably interesting - upon starting it, I had NO knowledge at all of narrowboats and canals in England and had picked the book up on a whim. Now, I am all set to hit the canals! Haywood shows that it's not all roses - some of the locks and tunn
Stephen Dawson
"A Journey In the North..." would be a better title, as the focus of this book is a double crossing of the Pennines by narrowboat, using the recently restored Huddersfield Narrow Canal and Rochdale Canal, rather than a journey northwards or to the north.

And even then, it is really mostly about the trip in the first direction, as the second one is done at breakneck speed, largely because of understandable delays caused by family priorities.

As such it is rather unbalanced - reflective of the reali
Abcdarian
Vaguely interesting, vaguely humourous, unfortunately not either one enough to keep going plus I wanted something more usefully informative.
Mike
Quite funny (bit Top Gear funny in places). Made me think about the realities of living on a narrow boat - which I have dreamt about.
Debbie Walker
I quite enjoyed this book, interesting for someone with hardly any knowledge of canals. Are narrow boaters similar to caravaners?
Pat Stearman
Forgotten now but think I enjoyed it. Years since I spent any time on the canals so it did whet my appetite for another trip.
Lorraine
this is a marvellous book not just about narrowboats but about the characters the author meets on the way..v funny too
Steve
A rambling, not wonderfully written canal book - only my interest in canals kept me going
Lucas
Lucas is currently reading it
Aug 14, 2015
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Jemma
Jemma is currently reading it
Mar 28, 2015
Penny
Penny marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Steph
Steph added it
Sep 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Steve Haywood is an award-winning TV producer and has worked on programmes such as Newsnight, Panorama and Rough Justice. Based in London, he writes a lively, provocative column for Canal Boat magazine.
More about Steve Haywood...
One Man and His Narrowboat: Slowing Down Time on England's Waterways Too Narrow to Swing a Cat: Going Nowhere in Particular on the English Waterways Fruit Flies Like a Banana - England by Canal and Classic Car Narrowboat Nomads: Living the Dream on the English Waterways The Nits of Folly-Cool Wood by Steve Haywood