Start by marking “The Survivor: An Anatomy of Life in the Death Camps” as Want to Read:
The Survivor: An Anatomy of Life in the Death Camps

The Survivor: An Anatomy of Life in the Death Camps

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  15 reviews
An eloquent revelation that touches the foundations of what man is. Neither despairing nor conventionally hopeful, The Survivor describes the most terrible events in human memory. But what emerges finally is an image of man stubbornly equal to the worst that can happen.
Published February 1st 1980 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Survivor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Survivor

Paul Bryant
For us the camps are terminal images. They are the realised archetypes of eternal victimhood and of evil forever triumphant.

This is a very unflinching book about those most extreme places that haunt our nightmares, the Nazi concentration camps. The author is concerned with survival. How was it done?

Survival is an experience with a definite structure, neither random nor regressive nor amoral. The aim of this book is to make the structure visible.

As he examines the testimony of survivors

an unexpec
This is, for me, no ordinary Holocaust record. Although Des Pres does include plenty of extracts from the accounts of survivors, he is more interested in analysing their testaments and distilling the message they carry for us all in the society outside. And he shows himself to be a deep philosophical thinker with some challenging ideas in the process.

He begins by examining the concept of the Hero - first of all in the world of fiction. The hero usually gives his life, or is prepared to do so, f
Apr 06, 2014 Michael rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Holocaust historians, history students, scholars of genocide
Recommended to Michael by: serendipity
I have a hard time categorizing this book, and its very resistance to standard academic pigeon-holes may explain its relative obscurity. It is a very important study of early Holocaust literature to attempt to understand the personal psychology and behavior of survivors. As Des Pres addresses early on, "survival" has sort of a bad rap in our culture, people who "merely survive" are not seen as "truly alive." Yet, for those who have experienced extreme conditions and organized efforts to destroy ...more
Mark Geisthardt
The way Elie Wiesel described this book was "An important, tormented, tormenting book" which is a very accurate description of the work the Des Pres created. It is very much a book that not only tells the stories of concentration and death camp survivors but also seeks to understand the power of life in the face of death. It is a powerful read.
Steve Eichel
I have read almost all the Holocaust literature. This book said it best. It is deeply disturbing, deeply inspiring, and changed the way I see my personal history as well as the history of my family.
Isabel Hogue
I bought this and read again in fall of 2013.
Worthwhile study.
Required reading. Period.
Essential reading for human beings.
Des Pres offers an optimistic and moving theory of survival, which provides important guidance on a monumental topic.
Dec 08, 2007 Daniel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all
No matter how many claim it wasn't like this

Yvette Robinson
Must read for anyone who needs to get out of her own brain.
Laura Ernster
Read in college and have read several times after.
fantastic but the concluding chapter is not very good
Taylor Church
macabre, yet epic in its ability to move you.
Jun 12, 2009 Chris added it
Non-fiction Holocaust- sad man
Marian Alexander
Marian Alexander marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Peter marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Kristine Beskin
Kristine Beskin marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Matthew Olgin
Matthew Olgin is currently reading it
Nov 01, 2015
Hamish Davidson
Hamish Davidson marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Kay marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
  • Children of the Holocaust: Conversations with Sons and Daughters of Survivors
  • After the Darkness: Reflections on the Holocaust
  • The Theory and Practice of Hell: The German Concentration Camps and the System Behind Them
  • Denying the Holocaust: The Growing Assault on Truth and Memory
  • At the Mind's Limits: Contemplations by a Survivor on Auschwitz and Its Realities
  • Patriotic Treason: John Brown and the Soul of America
  • In Our Own Words: Extraordinary Speeches of the American Century
  • Reading the Holocaust
  • To Purge This Land with Blood: A Biography of John Brown
  • A History of the Holocaust
  • When Presidents Lie: A History of Official Deception and Its Consequences
  • Love in a World of Sorrow: A Teenage Girl's Holocaust Memoirs
  • Root and Branch: Charles Hamilton Houston, Thurgood Marshall, and the Struggle to End Segregation
  • A History of Russia: From Peter the Great to Gorbachev (Great Courses, #8380)
  • The Second Bill of Rights: FDR's Unfinished Revolution--And Why We Need It More Than Ever
  • Brotherhood of the Revolution: How America's Founders Forged a New Nation