Wrecked: When a Broken World Slams Into Your Comfortable Life

Wrecked: When a Broken World Slams Into Your Comfortable Life

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  587 ratings  ·  98 reviews
Wrecked is about the life we wished we lived.
It's a life of radical sacrifice and selfless service-and how we find it in the midst of suffering. Wrecked is a look at how we discover our life's purpose in the least likely of places: in the tough spots and amongst the broken-hearted.
It's a manifesto for living like we mean it; it's a guide to growing up and giving your lif...more
Published August 1st 2012 by Moody Publishers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Wrecked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wrecked

Karla
Ended on a sour note for me. Has inspiring, if preachy, nuggets of good advice about sticking to a social service calling even (and especially) when the going gets hard. Talks about how to be committed to a day job as practice for when your life's calling appears. But it was irritating how shocked the writer was by what are common occurrences in city life -- a homeless guy asking for money and spending it on beer, the first homeless guy he meets in Spain and how conflicted he is about giving him...more
Trish
It's hard to rate this book. I appreciated the overall message of it and found quite a few nuggets of truth and challenge. It strikes a great balance between exhorting people to get out of our areas of comfort while recognizing that "settling down" and making commitments might actually be that zone of discomfort many of us need. Based on this it should get 4 or even 5 stars.

However, the book is aimed very squarely at 20-somethings and therefore not entirely my style. My first irritant was the a...more
Ruthanne Reid
This book really took me by surprise.

I don't always post book reviews. I'll make remarks occasionally, but rarely has a book moved me so much that it deserves a major spotlight.

This is a book about honesty. This is a book aboutthe simple fact that true satisfaction doesn't come from hedonism, from the simple pursuit of happiness. This is a book about accepting a terrible, wonderful truth: the purpose of my life is not about me.

This book can get uncomfortable. It asks hard questions, reveals shoc...more
Judy
I bought this book bc it was promoted on Michael Hyatt's blog and came with a bunch of freebies, most of which have since come in electronic formats that so far I have not been able to open. Sucker!
I put this book in the category of Francis Chan's "Crazy Love" and others that admonish the reader to get out of their comfort zone and do something daring for the gospel. I don't disagree that the gospel is a "big" story and most North Americans have probably become far too comfortable with the statu...more
Christie Hagerman
I listened to this as an audio book read by the author himself, and am I ever thankful for that pause feature on my mp3 player! Every few minutes, I found myself pausing to take notes or to process what I'd just heard. I am sure I'll be wading through some of those ideas for a long time.

The book starts by outlining the status quo--the person loving life in his safe little world, content to watch other people have adventures on reality TV and keep a nice distance by spending most of his free time...more
Rebekah Boisvert
Meh. I hate to be Debbie Downer here, but I found this book obvious, redundant, and preachy. Perhaps I'm not the right audience, because frankly, most of what is put forward here did not strike me as new information. I wanted to like it; I always WANT to like books, mostly because I hate wasting my time. I was also very distracted by the religiosity laced throughout. "WRECKED" also bothers me. I find it silly and immature (so deliberately trying to coin a catch-phrase)- and it sounds like someth...more
Maria Keckler
With every page my heart leaps!

Goins is describing my life… what I’ve known for a long time… what makes me live on the edge, then leap from perfectly good ships on to the turbulent waters of faith and adventure and compassion.

He’s given a name to what I had not been able to describe with a single word.

Yes, I believe I’m wrecked!

Read it at your own risk–if you dare to be changed forever.

Timothy Burns
Christian literature has a problem with suffering. We don’t like it. Suffering is contrary to a hybrid gospel that revolves around the blessings of hard work, and the reward that ultimately follows. Some (distasteful) strains of Christian faith even preach that God wants his people to be healthy and wealthy, and to be otherwise is a sign of personal failure. As a result of our aversion to personal trials, seculars and sacreds alike attempt to build lives from behind which we attempt to banish su...more
Stephanie
This book is so powerful it hurt as I was reading it. Goins goes places that most writers dare not to touch: the idea that life is supposed to be uncomfortable. If we are comfortable then we aren't doing it right.

He isn't talking about our material comfort necessarily; he is talking about the comfort we have with the world. Americans have an uncanny ability to forget how good we have it. We can ignore the poverty and pain in our own towns and cities by writing those people off as "hopeless or d...more
Scott
I do not often read evangelical Christian writing, but I quite enjoyed this author's "Three reasons to travel while you're young" article that I came across online, and I started reading his book to see what else he had to say. As someone who spent much of my twenties living abroad, his ideas resonate with me quite a bit. If you haven't had those experiences that wreck you, then it may be hard to understand. But in my case, I'd say wrecked is an understatement. My experiences abroad completely s...more
Matthew
4.5 stars. There is a reason Jeff Goins is getting so much attention right now. And no, it's not just because he knows how to market and release a book well. It's not just because he has one of the best blogs out there on writing. And it's not just because he writes great guest posts for popular blogs many of us visit. [I even just stumbled across his interview in the 2014 Writer's Market. Man, this guy's career is taking off fast].

The reason he's getting so much attention is because of his writ...more
Matthew Turner
So without further ado let’s begin, and today I focus on Wrecked by Jeff Goins

Published: 2012
Read: July2012
Discovered: Part of the Wrecked Book Launch Team

Overview:
If you have yet to read Jeff’s Blog, I suggest you do. It will inspire you at least twice a week. It’s safe to assume, then, that a book he writes is going to be good. I prepared myself for good, but didn’t prepare myself for this.

Wrecked does what it says on the cover. It wrecks you. It looks at things like volunteering, missionary w...more
Jennifer Lambert
As Christians, we're not supposed to actually admit that. We're supposed to be content in all circumstances and all that. It's eyebrow-raising to admit you're feeling a hole in your heart or soul. Yet, I feel like that all the time. And, yes, it's a different feeling than that God-shaped hole the Bible thumpers hawk to the unsaved heathens. I've been there too. I was one of those.

The tagline: When A Broken World Slams into Your Comfortable Life. Do you feel it too? The status quo has never been...more
Tyler Hurst
The Jeff Goins I know writes about writing. His blog dispenses many tips on how to become a better writer. His last ebook, You Are A Writer, was about the steps required to go from aspiring writer to real one. I found it helpful.

First, a few things on the top of my head.

Goins mentions God, references He and Him, and quotes and paraphrases (I think they were paraphrases, anyway) the Bible often in Wrecked. I'm not a religious person and I don't believe in god, gods or God. But I believe in faith,...more
Sundi
This book put life back into perspective for me. It's too easy to be comfortable in a nation where entitlement overpowers everything else. We're too focused on our jobs, getting the next best thing, being perfect, rather than really figuring out what our purpose is. "Wrecked" calls for you to stop making excuses and start doing something. It will challenge you to stop thinking about yourself and paying attention to others around you. If your life is comfortable, there's a problem. My life is way...more
Jodi
This book is geared towards college students and young twenty-somethings. I didn't get much out of it because it doesn't match my life season. Also, I struggled with how his approach to a broken world was filling needs and fixing things. There was no dignity given to those being served, the strengths of those in the margins were not considered. There was a definite "us vs them" mentality. It doesn't match the values of Christian Community Development,
Adam Steinmann
WARNING: RELIGIOUS BOOK (Not that there's anything wrong with that..)

I picked this up thinking it could be something to offer me real motivation to do the things I wanted in life. I read through the first ten pages and thought that it had some pretty good ideas, some odd phrasing, but overall not bad.

Then came the Jesus talk. If you're into that, then this book might be super inspirational to you. And good for you! However, as soon as I saw the preachy christian "Gospel" talk start, I stopped.

I...more
Brad Blackman
Great job, Jeff. Your first book was great. You sound older and more experienced than your 30 years would suggest.

Honestly, at the end, I regretted not going on more adventures in my early 20s. But I'm on a new kind of adventure now: being a Dad. It wrecks you in a different way.
Amanda
I first became familiar with Jeff Goins last summer when he wrote a guest post over at Chatting At The Sky, one of my favorite blogs.

So when I had the opportunity to review his book, Wrecked, I was excited! But I didn’t quite know what I was getting myself into.

Wrecked is a wonderful book that is not only well-written, but challenging, as well. Not challenging in a hard-to-read way, but challenging in a life-changing way.

Throughout the book, as Goins told story after story of how God wrecks our...more
Lain
Amazing, powerful book that will change lives - starting with mine! So much wisdom. Do the hard thing, the uncomfortable thing. Start where you are and commit. It's not about us. What we WANT is secondary to what we are called to do. READ THIS BOOK. Then read it again.
Amy Young
While I think this is a book that anyone could benefit from, I believe it is especially poignant for those in early adulthood or those further along in life who are dissatisfied and feeling that life is missing something.
Kt Goar
Fabulous. Must read and excellent recalibration tool. No need to rush to Tibet to find enlightenment. This book does it.
Carol Tice
Can't wait to read! I love Jeff's blog -- a deserving winner of this year's Top 10 Blogs for Writers.
Samuel
Love it. Written compellingly, openly, and brutally honestly.

And it is moving.

Make it a, "Must read."
Jodi
If for chapters 5 & 6 alone, this book was worth the read. A discussion on commitment was not something I anticipated based on the title & subtitle of the book. SO needed in this day & age, though. Very needed for Gen Y-ers (his seeming target audience), but still helpful for this X-er and really any other age bracket.

I also really appreciated the anecdotes from various experiences. Stories are always a great avenue of building the bridge from theory to practicality.

It seemed like...more
RW Bennett

What happens to your heart when you encounter human need so intense your soul can no longer ignore it? When you find yourself absolutely compelled to respond to the second Great Commandment: “Love your neighbor as yourself?” The answer is your life becomes wrecked, but in a way that is both pleasing to God, profoundly blesses others, and gives your own life newfound meaning.

Wrecked is author Jeff Goins’ (he helpfully assists us in the pronunciation of his unusual surname – ‘Goins rhymes with coi...more
Joshua Skogerboe
"In a world that refuses to be healed, we must face the fact that we are not the heroes of our stories." -Jeff Goins

I have long said that in almost every area of life that really matters, the best path lives in tension between two other viable options. As a dad, I have to find the middle path that lives in tension between authoritarian control and anything-goes, laissez faire parenting. Both extremes will likely lead to angry, wounded, distant children. As a ministry leader with a family, I hav...more
Jeff Goins is my hero.

I listened to the audiobook version of Wrecked while on vacation recently. As I was relaxing from the comforts of my beach cabana, staring out at the gorgeous turquoise blue water, Jeff's passionate voice spoke to me so deeply. I was moved by his stories of how he found his way early in his writing career. He spoke of the how he was wrecked, why it’s important that we understand the concept, and how this can help us find our calling in life.

I don’t know that I’ve been com...more
Jason Lilly
Jeff Goins is perhaps one of the wisest, friendliest young writers I have had the pleasure of reading. While the book's lesson is a harsh one, Jeff handles it with firm conviction and love. Too many books about serving God are designed to make the reader feel guilty about not doing enough. Or (worse) make them long to live up to religious, radical icons like Mother Theresa. This usually results in Christ followers who feel inadequate if they don't live up to these standards.

Jeff takes a differen...more
Michelle Matthews-Calloway
Aug 09, 2012 Michelle Matthews-Calloway rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to change his/her life!
Recommended to Michelle by: Jeff Goins
“To be wrecked begins with an experience that pulls you out of your comfort zone and self-centeredness, whether you want it to or not.” Thus is the compelling definition of what it means to be wrecked, and the premise of Goins’ book.

Wrecked is a book I took in ever so slowly, savoring each word – much like I do when I’m sipping on the best-made white chocolate mocha that my neighborhood Starbucks has to offer. I had to take my time to read this book because so much of it provoked and challenged...more
First Fifth Free! 2 8 Aug 02, 2013 01:37PM
  • Interrupted: An Adventure in Relearning the Essentials of Faith
  • You're Already Amazing: Embracing Who You Are, Becoming All God Created You to Be
  • Abundant Simplicity: Discovering the Unhurried Rhythms of Grace
  • Anything: The Prayer That Unlocked My God and My Soul
  • Undaunted: Daring to Do What God Calls You to Do
  • What Women Fear: Walking in Faith that Transforms
  • Greater: Dream Bigger. Start Smaller. Ignite God's Vision for Your Life.
  • The Greatest Gift: Unwrapping the Full Love Story of Christmas
  • Grace for the Good Girl: Letting Go of the Try-Hard Life
  • Enemies of the Heart: Breaking Free from the Four Emotions That Control You
  • Soul Detox: Clean Living in a Contaminated World
  • Packing Light: Thoughts on Living Life with Less Baggage
  • What Happens When Women Walk in Faith: Trusting God Takes You to Amazing Places
Originally from Chicago, Jeff moved to Nashville after graduating from college and spending a year traveling with CTI Music Ministries.

In college, he studied Spanish and Religion. He spent part of his Junior year in Spain, which unlocked a passion for missions, travel, and other cultures.

After a long year of letter-writing and long-distance phone calls, Jeff moved to Tennessee to “see about a girl...more
More about Jeff Goins...
You Are A Writer (So Start Acting Like One) The In-Between: Embracing the Tension Between Now and the Next Big Thing: A Spiritual Memoir The Writer's Manifesto Every Writer Needs a Tribe Wrecked for the Ordinary: A Manifesto for Misfits

“Struggle shapes our character. And character dictates what we will become.” 9 likes
“I have realized that whatever good comes to me, comes from God, whatever bad comes to me, God has allowed it, and I choose to be thankful for both.” 8 likes