Start by marking “Another Marvelous Thing” as Want to Read:
Another Marvelous Thing

Another Marvelous Thing

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  419 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Another Marvelous Thing is perfect for anyone who knows firsthand that opposites actually do attract. These spare and unsentimental stories display how two very different people -- a tough-minded and tenderhearted woman and an urbane, old-fashioned older man -- fall in love despite their differences, get married, and give birth to a child.
Published June 5th 2001 by Harper Perennial (first published March 12th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Another Marvelous Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another Marvelous Thing

Cindypbarnard
Loved this. Short but so much crammed into it. The analysis of a love affair between 2 people who are each happily married to others. I thought the post-mortem approach was dead on.
Deirdre Keating
On the top of the list of books-to-not-read while your mother is dying.

I picked it up because I loved Colwin's prose, even though I didn't love Happy All the Time. Then I thought I would scream if I read about Billy yawning one more time. I put the book down but didn't put it away...

Today I had to run to an appointment, where I knew I'd be kept waiting and rushed to grab a book to take alone. I picked this up for the first time in a couple years. I ended up finishing it about an hour after my me
Karen
This is the third Colwin book I've read. I embarked on reading her books because I loved Happy All the Time. However, I am disappointed so far in her other books. I found this one to be very mediocre. There were a few problems with this book, I think. The main one is that there was something uneven about the arc of the story. Most of the stories were redundant descriptions of the affair between Frank and Billy, but then all of a sudden, the story shifted into the life and perspective of Billy. I ...more
Marikka
Once I realized that my love of Laurie Colwin's work wasn't limited to one book, I decided to ration everything. Another Marvelous Thing was this year's dose and was lovely, short, but lovely. Whenever I read what someone has written about Colwin's writing, I always see "simple" and "elegant", and those are true, but when I think of Colwin, I think of her honesty. There's never a sense that it's a show. The characters might tend to live in a different world, or at least a different demographic, ...more
Leslie
I came across this book while dusting the shelves in the living room over the weekend and remembered how I bought it for the gorgeous cover--a detailed view of a bird's nest and laurel by Thomas Charles Bale. Eventually I read it (sometime in 1995, my year alone in my first house) and while I remember loving this book of connected short stories, what I most recall was adoring the first sentence of the first story: "My wife is precise, elegant, and well-dressed, but the sloppiness of my mistress ...more
Aynge
If I had known what this book was about, I wouldn't have read it. It was just described as "wonderful" to me so I read it. It's a collection of stories that follows the affair of Billy (short for Josephine) and Francis, two unlikely lovers who are both married to other people. See, if I had read that, I would have tossed the book away like it was on fire, but this is a heartfelt, compulsively readable book. The characters are intelligent and interesting and well-drawn. It's a quick read that end ...more
Cindy
Apr 20, 2014 Cindy added it
beautifully written — delightfully spare, unexpectedly deep.
Naomi
I picked up this book because I had read two others by author, who seems to specialize in writing lovely books about the drama of happily married couples. I was not disappointed, although in this case, the two happily married people are not in love only with their spouses, but also with each other.

Colwin is really terrific at creating the drama that is so intense in ordinary lives, even when no outwardly dramatic things are taking place.
Charles Bechtel
I once had a writing advisor pronounce that if you write about boring characters, you'll write a boring book. About sums up this treadmill of a narration. I believed these characters would, if real, have torn each other to bits, as does the couple in 'Who's. Afraid of Virginia Woolf.' Not a Colwin fan.
Wendy
Wow, what a quick read! It was pretty good throughout the entire book until the last few chapters. It seemed that the author went in to a totally different direction and it just didn't feel right. I love a book that catches you off guard at the end, but this just seemed sloppy.
Jenna
She could have cut out four stories from the middle and it would have made for a fine novella. Some information too redundant. However, she did have lots of good metaphors for relationships, the insularity of affairs, and how falling in love is never about what we "should" do.
Vivianne
It is a very good book and I didn't like it very much. It was funny and painful, thought-provoking and irritating. I kept feeling a sneaking empathy with the shallow betrayed wife and a much stronger one with the marvelous-sounding betrayed husband.
margie and kath
i love laurie colwins writing style. her character development and story lines draw you into another world. i recently started to reread some of my novels and i had forgotten how much i liked her.
Christine
A quick and interesting read. The honest and raw complexity of love affairs captured beautifully in this novella. Characters, plot, and nuances of the story are hauntingly realistic.
sosser
a collection of short stories, all telling the same tale... but not in the same way. this alone fascinated me and laurie colwin succeeds, making each story rich and fresh.
darlene
the jacket is misleading. it's actually quite unsentimental, refreshing, and realistic. about the complicated, fleeting nature of love.
Linda
This was okay. Compilation of short stories with same concept. Dragged on though, slow development.
Smoore
Jul 26, 2011 Smoore added it
Very engaging book about two kooky people who fall in love but maybe shouldn't have.
Maureen Flatley
Another gem from the late, great Laurie Colwin.
Tara
Aug 15, 2011 Tara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: faves
She is so good.
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Gina House
Gina House marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Desirae_nicole
Desirae_nicole marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Cora
Cora marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
r.c.s.
r.c.s. marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
  • The Music Lesson
  • The King's Indian: Stories and Tales
  • The Odd Woman
  • The Journals of Spalding Gray
  • Red House: Being a Mostly Accurate Account of New England's Oldest Continuously Lived-in House
  • Visitors: A Novel
  • The Collected Poems
  • Hopper
  • Living to Tell
Laurie Colwin is the author of five novels: Happy All the Time, Family Happiness, Goodbye Without Leaving, Shine On, Bright and Dangerous Object, and A Big Storm Knocked It Over; three collections of short stories: Passion and Affect, Another Marvelous Thing, and The Lone Pilgrim; and two collections of essays: Home Cooking and More Home Cooking. She died in 1992.
More about Laurie Colwin...
Home Cooking: A Writer in the Kitchen Happy All the Time More Home Cooking: A Writer Returns to the Kitchen A Big Storm Knocked It Over Family Happiness

“Their first actual kiss was a one-celled organism which, after they had been standing on the stairway kissing for some time, evolved into something rather grander--a bird of paradise, for example.” 1 likes