Start by marking “Girls Uncovered: New Research on What America's Sexual Culture Does to Young Women” as Want to Read:

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Any parent can identify with the feeling that girls growing up in America face a treacherous future; Uncovered Girls unveils the facts. In a follow up to their eye-opening release, Hooked, obstetricians Joe McIlhaney and Freda Bush present stunning scientific research on the development of young girls in America's increasingly reckless sexual culture. They survey the reali ...more
Published December 1st 2011 by Northfield Press

To ask other readers questions about Girls Uncovered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girls Uncovered

Faith Farrell
Co-authored by a team of two knowledgable and compassionate doctors, *Girls Uncovered* is a book that every mother and father needs to read as they guide their daughter.
Even though I promise you that it will be a hard read.

I requested this book from MP Newsroom to review, and I gave it first to a friend of mine with two daughters, one at the end of her teens and one at the beginning. She read it with a sad look on her face, because she came from a home where the daughters were "uncovered."
It wa
Annie Slagboom
Have you ever wondered what the sexualization of our culture is doing to our daughters? Young people particularly our daughters are in crisis.

Stats are shocking. "Forty-six percent of all high school students (freshmen through seniors) have had sexual intercourse. Approximately 75 percent of graduating high school students have had sex". Stats for college students are even more SHOCKING! "Almost none of these students are seriously committed to their partners for the long term”.

“Girls Uncovered
Cafelilybookreviews
This book was disturbing to read! However, if you are a parent, you need to read this, especially if you are concerned about how our toxic society is affecting the way our children, adolescents and teens think.

A 2009 study showed that in America, 65% of senior high school girls admitted to having sexual intercourse. 20% of those same girls, had more than four partners. Society is lulling our children into thinking that having sex before marriage is the norm. 70% of television programs popular wi
Ruth
I liked the way this book took readers through the various lies that are told today, like "safe sex" and refuted them not with "The Bible (or Pope) says it's wrong" but rather "This study says that people who abstain from non-marital sex are more likely to achieve the goal you want". The authors come right out and say "Sex before marriage is sexist"--the bad consequences are far more likely to happen to women--pregnancy, infertility, her caring more about him than he does about her"

See my full
Karen
This book is written by a male doctor, and a female doctor, so you have both perspectives. It also has a chapter toward the end that you can invite your teenage daughter to read if she's not interested in reading the entire book. A variety of topics are covered including current statistics on sexual activity in young women, detrimental emotional and health consequences of pre-marital sexual activity, and general information that today's parents of boys or girls would want to know.
Sharon
Written more for parents of girls, but would definitely be helpful for anyone working with teens/young adults. Solid, straightforward information. Excellent resources in the footnotes.
Justin Rife
Justin Rife marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Timothy Kauphusman
Timothy Kauphusman marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Cyn
Cyn marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Cristiano Sequeira
Cristiano Sequeira marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Ruth Anderson
Ruth Anderson marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Korey Chantawansri
Korey Chantawansri marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Selena
Selena added it
Jul 29, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Paulwp
Paulwp marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Isy
Isy marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Andrea Coe
Andrea Coe marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
HumbleIndigo
HumbleIndigo marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Jeanie
Jeanie marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2013
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
1250 Health-Care Questions Women Ask Hooked: New Science on How Casual Sex is Affecting Our Children Safe Sex: A Doctor Explains the Realities of AIDS and Other Stds Sexuality And Sexually Transmitted Diseases Sex: What You Don't Know Can Kill You