Start by marking “Oscar Slater: The Immortal Case of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle” as Want to Read:
Oscar Slater: The Immortal Case of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Oscar Slater: The Immortal Case of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  8 ratings  ·  3 reviews
In 1909, Oscar Slater, a German Jew was convicted and sentenced to death for the brutal murder of Marion Gilchrist, an elderly Glaswegian spinster. His trial is now known to have been one of the most scandalous miscarriages of justice in the annals of legal history. This book is a masterful and highly readable unravelling of this infamous case. Tommy Toughill includes mate ...more
Published January 1st 2012 by History Press (SC) (first published August 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Oscar Slater, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oscar Slater

Batgrl (Book Data Kept Elsewhere)
After reading The Man Who Was Sherlock Holmes I found myself wanting to know more about the cases Conan Doyle involved himself in in real life. And this book popped up after a bit of googling.

Pre-read: Am interested in how the author will portray Conan Doyle and how much if any Sherlock Holmes references pop up. The history of the case is interesting already, it really doesn't need anything Holmesian added to the mix.

Post-read: Just the right amount of Conan Doyle and barely a mention of Holmes,
I've a personal interest in this case, I suppose, as my Grandmother's cousin, John Thomson Trench, was the detective involved in this infamous case of murder, mistaken identity and anti-semitism in Glasgow's prosperous West End. Trench, along with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle amongst others, was convinced that the man convicted of the murder, Oscar Slater, a German Jew, was not guilty of the brutal murder of Marion Gilchrist, an elderly Glaswegian spinster in 1908.

The author's quest is also to clear O
I marked this one down a little in view of all the typos and poor proof-reading. Really, when a book is a revision you would expect it to be in better shape. In this book it really was important to get the names right as there is a detective called Orr and one called Ord!
A very good account of a real-life crime and the miscarriage of justice that ensued. The Conan Doyle involvement only came in at the very end but I suspect his name on the book cover made people more likely to take an interest a
Crystal marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Theresa marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2013
Dayna marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2013
Lauren marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2013
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2011
Khloe marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2009