Taking the Cross to Youth Ministry

Taking the Cross to Youth Ministry

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  6 reviews
You know that the ideas of sin and salvation are central to our faith, but how do you effectively teach these concepts to teenagers? In Taking the Cross to Youth Ministry, Andrew Root will help you reimagine how you present the power of the cross to students as you journey with Nadia, a fictional youth worker wrestling with this question.
Published August 21st 2012 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published August 14th 2012)

Joshua Serrano
Wow! The more I read Root's books, the more I think he's a Lutheran. His understanding of Luther's theology of the cross is amazing. And the way he is able to show forth a way to take it to children is very impressive. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn about the theology of the cross, not just for youth ministry.
Eric Clapp
If you want an incredibly deep, yet concise primer on the theology of the cross, you can't do much better than this book. There's also a really nice introduction to what adolescence is and how it affects young people. All in all, highly recommended.
Tom
If I had to summarize Root's message in one sentence I'd say: The cross is not a logo for a lifestyle, but the very location of God's presence with and for us.

I would add that the cross is not only the cross of Christ, but the crosses each of us bear in our human frailty, sin, brokenness, and impossibility. In these barren places is where God seeks to meet us. In these places is where (youth) ministry ought to dwell.

This is the second in what will be a four-part series on "A Theological Journey...more
Lance
Good Book. It is a little dark but but it places Christ in the edgy part of life which is where you want Him. If you want theology, it is there and documented. If you want an alternative to deeper than substitute salvation, this is your book. Christ is in our lives when He is needed - when things get difficult. Sin vs sinning, the cross in our daily lives and how God is walking with us through the pain, etc. This all translates to practical theology - that can be used with youth.
Jeremy Serrano
I am impressed with this series, but especially this book. Root explains Luther's Theology of the Cross in an accessible way. Though this book is for youth ministers it should be read by anyone interested in theology (just remember the original audience).

I also highly recommend this book and series to any Youth Workers. Even if you have been in youth ministry for 12 years like me, this book has something to say to you.
Stephanie
Very important theological work for youth ministry
Garrett Behrends
Garrett Behrends marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Brent Johnson
Brent Johnson marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Hattie
Hattie marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Caleb Hester
Caleb Hester marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Chelsea Van der meersche
Chelsea Van der meersche marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Brian
Brian added it
Apr 04, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Kelvin Kehler
Kelvin Kehler marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Trevor Tinsley
Trevor Tinsley marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
JB
JB added it
May 09, 2014
Adam Paul
Adam Paul marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Ashleigh Richards
Ashleigh Richards marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Andrew May
Andrew May marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Brooke
Brooke added it
Jan 23, 2014
Rob Booth
Rob Booth marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Andrew Root joined Luther Seminary in 2005 as assistant professor of youth and family ministry. Previously he was an adjunct professor at Wesley Theological Seminary, Washington D.C., and Princeton Theological Seminary, Princeton, N.J.

Root received his bachelor of arts degree from Bethel College, St. Paul, Minn., in 1997. He earned his master of divinity (2000) and his master of theology (2001) d...more
More about Andrew Root...
Revisiting Relational Youth Ministry: From a Strategy of Influence to a Theology of Incarnation The Theological Turn in Youth Ministry Taking Theology to Youth Ministry Relationships Unfiltered: Help for Youth Workers, Volunteers, and Parents on Creating Authentic Relationships The Promise Of Despair: The Way Of The Cross As The Way Of The Church (Living Theology)