Start by marking “Taking the Cross to Youth Ministry” as Want to Read:
Taking the Cross to Youth Ministry

Taking the Cross to Youth Ministry

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  61 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
You know that the ideas of sin and salvation are central to our faith, but how do you effectively teach these concepts to teenagers? In Taking the Cross to Youth Ministry, Andrew Root will help you reimagine how you present the power of the cross to students as you journey with Nadia, a fictional youth worker wrestling with this question.
Published August 21st 2012 by Zondervan/Youth Specialties (first published August 14th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Taking the Cross to Youth Ministry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taking the Cross to Youth Ministry

Joshua Serrano
Jan 13, 2013 Joshua Serrano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! The more I read Root's books, the more I think he's a Lutheran. His understanding of Luther's theology of the cross is amazing. And the way he is able to show forth a way to take it to children is very impressive. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn about the theology of the cross, not just for youth ministry.
Eric Clapp
Mar 24, 2013 Eric Clapp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-bookshelf
If you want an incredibly deep, yet concise primer on the theology of the cross, you can't do much better than this book. There's also a really nice introduction to what adolescence is and how it affects young people. All in all, highly recommended.
Tom
If I had to summarize Root's message in one sentence I'd say: The cross is not a logo for a lifestyle, but the very location of God's presence with and for us.

I would add that the cross is not only the cross of Christ, but the crosses each of us bear in our human frailty, sin, brokenness, and impossibility. In these barren places is where God seeks to meet us. In these places is where (youth) ministry ought to dwell.

This is the second in what will be a four-part series on "A Theological Journey
James
Mar 28, 2015 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the second of Roots Taking Theology to Youth Ministry narrative. This one focused on where the cross meets youths' lives. The cross is more than a place to deal transactionally with our sin problem. It is Where Christ encounters us in abandonment, loneliness isolation.

The narrative format is interesting and of course what Root writes is broadly applicable beyond youth ministry
Chris Crane
Andrew's narratival approach to writing about theology I thought was interesting and it did help make this work a bit more engaging, I think. My biggest problem with this book was his insistence on using the term "Godself" to refer to God, a gender-inclusive word often used by more progressive-leaning Christians, which I would no be one of. I think there are theological reasons for why God must be spoken of in masculine terms, but this avenue is not the best place for such discussions.
Lance
Jan 17, 2013 Lance rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Book. It is a little dark but but it places Christ in the edgy part of life which is where you want Him. If you want theology, it is there and documented. If you want an alternative to deeper than substitute salvation, this is your book. Christ is in our lives when He is needed - when things get difficult. Sin vs sinning, the cross in our daily lives and how God is walking with us through the pain, etc. This all translates to practical theology - that can be used with youth.
Jeremy Serrano
I am impressed with this series, but especially this book. Root explains Luther's Theology of the Cross in an accessible way. Though this book is for youth ministers it should be read by anyone interested in theology (just remember the original audience).

I also highly recommend this book and series to any Youth Workers. Even if you have been in youth ministry for 12 years like me, this book has something to say to you.
Stephanie
Feb 25, 2013 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very important theological work for youth ministry
Vicki
Vicki rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Ashley Welch davis
Ashley Welch davis marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Wing Kei
Wing Kei marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Mindy Lavender
Mindy Lavender rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Nicholas Castle
Nicholas Castle marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Richard Jones
Richard Jones rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Matt Henslee
Matt Henslee rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Tyler Jarvis
Tyler Jarvis rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
Meade Baker
Meade Baker rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Daniel Bradley
Daniel Bradley rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Dustin
Dustin marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Bernie Heenan
Bernie Heenan marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Funmi Ojediran
Funmi Ojediran marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Micah Hurst
Micah Hurst marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Jake Owens
Jake Owens rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2016
Maddie
Maddie marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Ben Tarver
Ben Tarver rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Stack
Stack marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
Evan
Evan rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Seth Bobbink
Seth Bobbink marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Andrew Root joined Luther Seminary in 2005 as assistant professor of youth and family ministry. Previously he was an adjunct professor at Wesley Theological Seminary, Washington D.C., and Princeton Theological Seminary, Princeton, N.J.

Root received his bachelor of arts degree from Bethel College, St. Paul, Minn., in 1997. He earned his master of divinity (2000) and his master of theology (2001) d
More about Andrew Root...