Start by marking “The Handsome Road (Plantation Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Handsome Road (Plantation Trilogy, #2)

The Handsome Road (Plantation Trilogy #2)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  310 ratings  ·  18 reviews
A WORLD TURNED UPSIDE DOWN!

The Old South was a world of extremes. Ann Sheramy Larne, a hoop-skirted belle, lived among stately mansions and dozens of Negro Servants. Corrie May Upjohn was "po' white trash," living in slavelike squalor down on the docks.

The Civil War transformed their world.

For Ann, the war meant disaaster-the end of everything she had known. But for Corrie
Published January 1st 1974 by Pocket (first published January 1st 1949)

To ask other readers questions about The Handsome Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Handsome Road

Janetkc7wvy
This is the second in a Trilogy. The first one "Deep Summer" and the last "This Side of Glory" Being set in the Civil War of course I had to read it.
The forward to the book starts out "On the 14th of March, 1794, Eli Whitney patented his cotton-gin. It was one of the greatest disasters that ever fell on the United States." (a little different than you learn in school). He goes on to explain "The cotton-gin was bound to come sometime. Too many people were looking for it. But if it had been delay
Kate Quinn
Handsome Road is the second in Gwen Bristow's Plantation Trilogy, picking up several generations down the line with two very different women in the American Civil War. Ann is the pampered young wife of a Louisiana planter; Corrie May is a dockyard cousin who fights for survival in a society where slaves get most of the jobs and she is looked down on as white trash. The Civil War up-ends most of that, and both girls endure parallel experiences of loss, luxury, poverty, and motherhood. There is no ...more
Mary
Nov 28, 2009 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mary by: wanted to read more by the author of Jubilee Trail
The Handome Road brings some of the characters from Deep Summer further along in history. Telling the story of the causes of the civil war from various viewpoints makes it easier to understand why the South defended slavery. The plantation owners needed the slaves and the poor whites could never rise from poverty because who would pay them to work when slaves would work for nothing? That meant they had nothing to fight for. Only the slaves had anything to gain and even they were sometimes living ...more
Trudy Carlson
This was the 2nd book in the trilogy and takes place up to and after the civil war. It is from the point of view of Corrie Mae, a "white trash" girl and Anne Larne, a plantation artistocrat and the difference in their living circumstances.

There is a line in the book:

"Nigger pick de cotton, nigger tote de load,
Nigger build de levell foh de ribber to smash,
Nigger nebber walk up de handsome road,
But I radder be a nigger dan po' white trash!"

This sums up the book The story focuses on the difference
Jan
This is the second in the Plantation trilogy (see my review for Deep Summer (#1). The time has shifted to the Civil War, with predictable consequences for aristocratic planters. But, agreeably, this time the focus is on one of the "white trash" characters, who resents the louche aristocrats and determines to make her own destiny. Of course, that means shacking up with the post Civil War carpetbagger villain, but I love how even when she is once again destitute, she triumphs in the end thanks to ...more
Idril
Louisiana Mitte des 19. Jahrhunderts. Die 14-jährige Corrie May Upjohn gehört zu den “armen Weißen” des Landes, denen es oft schlechter geht als beispielsweise den Haussklaven der reichen Plantagenbesitzer. Doch sie hat den Ehrgeiz, etwas zu erreichen in ihrem Leben. Anne Sheramy hingegen ist eine Tochter des Südstaatenadels und eine Nachfahrin der Sheramys aus ”Tiefer Süden”, ebenso wie ihr Freund Denis Larne. Auch Corrie May ist entfernt mit diesen verwandt, was jedoch keiner ahnt, auch wenn i ...more
Misfit
This book takes the story of the Larne, Sheramy and UpJohn families through the civil war and it's aftermath. The author provides a very realistic portrayal of the upper class Larnes and Sheramys and the poor UpJohns, the latter having to struggle for work as the upper class had the slave labor to do most of the work for "free". Also, the turnaround of the cultures in the aftermath of the civil war, the Larnes and Sheramys having to struggle to survive and keep their plantations while Corrie May ...more
Susan Willingham
This was the 2nd book of the Plantation Trilogy, and much longer. I finally got to understand the character Corrie May Upjohn that I had heard so much about in the third book.

I had to order this book from the Cobb County Inter Library Loan. It came from Mercer University, and originally it was in the library of Betsy Tift College. Did I mention that Betsy Willingham Tift was my husband's grandfather's sister? Pretty ironic.
HeavyReader
Dec 28, 2011 HeavyReader rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of historical fiction/romance
Shelves: fiction, louisiana
When I saw the cover of this book, I knew this series was the one I was looking for. I sure do remember that cover.

I read all three books in this trilogy when I was in middle school or early high school. I was really into them because they were set in Louisiana. I was into historical fiction/romance in those days. I really liked this book (and the other two) at the time I read them.
Emily
This was a little more serious than Bristow's normally have been for me. It seemed like one bad thing after another kept happening to the characters. I did find it an entertaining way to learn more about the Civil War and it gave me a few outlooks to consider that I'd never thought of before. I didn't love it, but I didn't stop reading it either!
Christa
2nd in the plantation series. this book dragged on and on and seemed to have no point or plot. Maybe it was just intended to be a bridge from the first to the third book in the series. My local library system does not have the third book, and I am not inclined to order it on amazon at this point. Such a let down after reading Celia Garth.
Karen
The second book in the "Plantation Trilogy." I enjoyed it just as much as the first one, perhaps even a little more. Bristow is great at showing the effects of the Civil War on different classes of people. Her writing is vivid and kept me turning the pages to see what was going to happen next to poor Ann and Corrie May. On to the next!
Steph
Good book in that you saw a different view point of history than you usually get with Civil War Era material. Not extremely exciting, nor does it have any real defining moments for me. An okay read for someone looking for a little history in thier readings.
April Dinucci
The second book of the Plantation series was certainly the most tragic and depressing, but I loved the way Bristow makes the reader aware of such a very intense and misundrestood war and all the affects it had on differnet classes of people. I give this book a 3.5!
Pamela L
Wonderful!!!!
Rebekah
I liked the time period - set during/after the Civil War and showed a neat side of things - the perspective of a working-class girl. Book was overall a bit depressing and didn't portray great morals.
Tara
Very interesting - written from different class perspectives in southern Louisiana during and after the Civil War. Also touches very briefly on the origins of the KKK.
Shelly
KH
KH added it
Dec 18, 2014
Heather G
Heather G marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Christa Brechbuehl
Christa Brechbuehl marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Phyllis Reans
Phyllis Reans is currently reading it
Nov 29, 2014
  • The Foxes of Harrow (Delta Diamond Library)
  • Something Borrowed, Something Blue
  • Waiting For Willa
  • Dinner at Antoine's
  • The Proud Breed
  • Son of a Hundred Kings
  • The Town House (House, #1)
  • Tanamera
  • The Black Swan
  • Iron Branch: A Civil War Tale of a Woman In-Between
  • Tanglewood Plantation
  • Village Christmas (Fairacre, #6)
  • I Travel by Night
  • Emmeline
  • The Wanton
  • Savannah Purchase
  • A Prologue to Love
American author and journalist. She studied at Columbia University and afterwards wrote for a number of literary magazines and journals. Eventually she moved to New Orleans, and worked at the Times-Picayune. She became interested in longer forms of writing—novels and short stories—through her husband, screenwriter Bruce Manning, and published her first novel in 1929.

Bristow reached the pinnacle o
More about Gwen Bristow...
Jubilee Trail Celia Garth Calico Palace Deep Summer (Plantation Trilogy, #1) This Side of Glory (Plantation Trilogy, #3)