Start by marking “Wind Tamer” as Want to Read:
Wind Tamer

Wind Tamer

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Archie Stringweed is sure that the wind talks to him. It seems to creep up behind him and blow him along the pavement; to drape itself around his shoulders and screech in his ear. And things get even stranger as his tenth birthday approaches. A strange ball of green light hovers by his bed and a giant white bird appears at his window, carrying a mysterious gold coin. What ...more
Published September 19th 2006 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC

To ask other readers questions about Wind Tamer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wind Tamer

When Archie Stringweed turns 10 years old, he doesn’t expect anything out of the ordinary to occur. He’ll have his friends over, get a new video game, eat some cake…nothing extra special. However, when his long-lost uncle Rufus returns, with news of some very troubling matters soon to occur, Archie begins to get worried. It doesn’t help when he starts seeing glowing orbs of green light, getting pushed around by gusts of talking wind, and visited by very large birds bearing strange gifts. With a ...more
Eric W
I chose this book because it looked cool on the cover. Because my mom picked it out for me, i thought it would be bad but it wasn't!
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Carrie Spellman for

On the night before his tenth birthday, Archie Stringweed notices something a little strange. The wind seems to be talking to him. Is that possible? Archie thinks it can't be, so he doesn't say anything to anyone about it. But that's just the beginning of the odd occurrences. There's the present from his Uncle Rufus, that he obviously wasn't supposed to get, from the dirty looks he keeps seeing his mother give the box. Archie doesn't see what the b
This was a pretty good book! I liked the wavering character of Archie, and his efforts to be courageous. The plot has some pacing issues, but it has a clear goal and decisive steps. I loved the magical elements in the story: the Icegulls, the Artifacts, and the history behind the curse. The mother, Cecille, got on my nerves the entire time, but that is what she was supposed to do. Great character writing! Uncle Rufus was a delightfully mysterious character, and I loved seeing the whole family re ...more
Dec 12, 2007 Nyamebekyere rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids any age that enjoy adventure
Achie Stringweed loves knights and is descendede from one called Sir Strongwood. The knight thought that he was indestructible because he had fought in lots of different wars. One day he met and old man dressed in rags. The old man told him that the knight would perish. Sir Strongwood called hima liar ande insulted the old man. The man cursed him and all his descendants...

Hunderds of years later, just before the curse effected Archie Archie's uncle told him about the curse and Archie goes on a h
This book is interesting in the plot but if you like adventure and a progressing plot you will not like this book. Basically I thought it was a little boring.
Emanuel Vellon
This book was okay though not at my level or interest.
This book is a good read for those that enjoy a good, complex plot. Although it wasn't my kind of plot, I can see how some would realy get involved in the book. I thought the plot was too long and a little too complex for the average reader. I never really fell into the main characters but that might just have been me. I can't not recomend this book, but I also would have many more to recommend before this one made the list.
Aug 04, 2007 Temaris rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: under 10s
A little more juvenile than I was expecting. The story is a very slight thing, lightly and neatly done, but with no great depth. There's no real sense of peril, and what should be the central theme -- the nature of courage -- is barely touched on. Enjoyable but lightweight.
Just Me
I bought this on a whim, and have to say that I was more impressed with it then I thought I'd be. Yes, it was fairly easy to see where the story was going, and it was a little cheesy, but it was a good book nonetheless.
One of the first books I read from the children's shelves at the new local central library. I enjoyed reading it at night, deepening myself into the story.
This was really fun!!! Packed with a fun filled mystery that a young boy and his Uncle have to solve a problem that even some adults don't get!
The wavering between child and parental viewpoints was disorienting. Nice idea, though.
Not great. An interesting concept, but not well executed.
Sep 13, 2010 Azim added it
Nick marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
P. R. MORRISON was raised in the Orkney Islands, off the tip of Scotland. The dramatic landscape and sea climate of Orkney strongly influenced the writing of Wind Tamer, her first book. P.R. Morrison now lives in London with her family.
More about P.R. Morrison...
Wave Traveller