Start by marking “A Fistful of Sky” as Want to Read:
A Fistful of Sky

A Fistful of Sky (LaZelle #1)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  1,156 ratings  ·  142 reviews
Gypsum LaZelle is a misfit in a family of spellcasters-she possesses no magical ability whatsoever. Until the day when she becomes gravely ill, and discovers that her Transition has occurred at last, bestowing upon her a strange and frightening power.
Published November 5th 2002 by Ace Hardcover

To ask other readers questions about A Fistful of Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fistful of Sky

Susan
Dec 17, 2012 Susan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: book-club
I love just about everything I've read by Nina (and I've read all but her very earliest stories). This visit with the LaZelle family was really wanted. Having encountered the family a few times in short stories, the LaZelle clan is a nice change from the folks at Chapel Hollow and their extended clans.

I conned.. er convinced my boss to read the book -- he didn't get the ending. I sent a copy to my sister in Texas and Mary, Shirley and Tyler all loved it-- in revenge for making fun of me for year
Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
I enjoyed this, a cozy fantasy novel set in modern California. It reminded me a bit of Elfland, with its real-world though non-urban* setting and its focus on a close-knit and eccentric family with hidden magical powers – though A Fistful of Sky lacks the romance and melodrama of Elfland, as well as Elfland’s ethereal qualities. There’s lots of magic in this book, but it’s grounded in mundane reality.

Gypsum LaZelle is 20, but she still lives in her parents’ mansion, along with three of her four
Amber
After a three month dry spell, I finally blew through this great modern day fantasy. Both funny and complicated, it was a wonderful tale of a family coming into “transitions” and understanding and controlling their given talents.
Jackie "the Librarian"
May 26, 2008 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Women fantasy fans
Set in contemporary California, Gypsum comes into the magical heritage of her family very late, and it comes with a real wallup. She must use the magic, or it will kill her, but it's "curse" magic, so she must find a way to channel it safely.
Gypsy is a very appealing heroine, and her solution to her situation is unusual. Anyone who's struggled with becoming themselves will relate to Gypsy.
Shannon
Nov 05, 2007 Shannon rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of paranormal fiction
Throughout this entire book, I felt compelled to keep reading, continuously waiting for that big "thing" to happen. It never did. And yet I still enjoyed the read. The ending was a little flat. But it wasn't so bad that I regretted the time spent reading the book. A very interesting writer. I may have to read more by her just to see if all of her books are the same.
Nicole
I just re-read this book and I was again struck by Hoffman's description and character building. I love all of her books, but this one is one of my favorites.
Rachel Neumeier
I only discovered Hoffman this year -- this book was the first of hers that I read. It was so good I immediately bought everything else by Hoffman I could find! One of Hoffman's strengths is her writing, which is often beautiful.

I have to say, Hoffman is uneven. I found some of her books mediocre, and at least one pushed all the wrong buttons for me and I barely finished it. But this one is wonderful!

Although the main character, Gypsum, is in her 20s, A FISTFUL OF SKY reads like a YA novel. It'
Michelle
I've spent a good deal of time trying to come to terms with the feelings I have for this book. On the one hand, I find the characterizations intriguing and off-putting by turns and the entire idea of the story to be very, very interesting. But that's all I enjoy from this book. The idea and the concept.

A Fistful of Sky is about a young woman long resigned to her fate as the "normal" child of a magical family (aside from her normal father), but this is all turned upside down after her twentieth
Jared
Oct 28, 2011 Jared rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like Garden Spells
Shelves: 2011, fantasy
Gypsum is the middle child in a family gifted with strange abilities. The story follows a plot arc that's rather similar to Savvy; the magic feels a lot like Garden Spells. Gypsum's gift comes to her quite a bit later than the rest of her siblings. When it arrives, it's a doozy, and it's not what she'd hoped for. Again, in this it's rather like Savvy, although written for a much older audience. The story centers around how she comes to terms with her gift.

A lot of reviewers bemoan the lack of ch
Krissa
I've been reading a lot of YA lately, on recommendation usually from Shana. Fistful has this really well-integrated world of a magic-practicing family living in this reality, in California. There's our narrator who's, in Potter speak, is a squib. The story of her unexpected late blossoming into a magic wielder has some beautifully funny moments, especially how the family operates totally differently from any normal family group.

The action takes place over less than a week and in that way can fe
Diane Wilkes
I loved this book...until the end, which seemed odd to me unless it was supposed to be the first of a series, and while there is another related book, it doesn't focus on Gypsum, the "muggle" of a magical family. Her four siblings (all named after different stones--Jasper, Opal, Beryl and Flint) don't start out with magical powers, but transition in their teens.

Gypsum is the middle child, and suffers from many of the typical problems associated with that familial position. She is chubby and not
Eva Mitnick
A woman from a magically endowed family finally comes into her powers but discovers she has inherited "unkind"magic - the power (and actually the need) to curse. Because Gypsum must use her powers on a regular basis or literally go mad, she must figure out how to use and control them without doing too much harm. Like Hoffman's other books, this takes a quirky and creative approach to magic. Less characters (and more depth to them) would have helped me to become more immersed in the story, which ...more
Amanda
I somewhat liked this book but found it disturbing too. The Mother is a sort of a monster. She uses her powers to tie her children so close to her they can't even think of leaving home. The scene where she nearly kills her daughter trying to force her to lose weight and become 'acceptably' slim is horrifying. Then the family just moves on and never addresses why the hell the Mom did it and what it says about her as a person and can she be helped.
I also found the ending sort of petered out. If it
Lark
Weird little book.

Initially picked up the book because I was intrigued by the premise. A family with wish magic and the odd girl out.

But it's just really weird. We don't get a sense of the personalities of any of the characters, not even Gypsum. You can't really get a good picture of them or their motivations. Case in point, we don't really get to know Ian, the supposed love interest. We don't know anything about Altria except she just happens to help once in a while.

The whole book is essential
Carla
Nina weaves blessings/curses of magic into fantastical YA tales (and captivating book readings). I felt "girlish" again--tottering on progression then upheaval and back again; finally social and personal acceptance. Growing impatient with the disturbing and otherworldly company that Gypsum was often forced to keep, was only part of the total experience.
Madeline
If her other books are anything like this one, I think I may have found a new favorite author. This deals with the coming of age of late bloomer Gypsum, then add in that hers is a family of mages and the complications double. A really lovely story about finding and accepting yourself without having to change who you are.
Kirsten
I LOVE Hoffman! Gypsum LaZelle is a magicless daughter in a very powerful magical family. She believes she will never Transition -- that is, gain her powers -- until one weekend when the rest of her family is away, she falls ill... and awakens with the very powerful ability to curse other people and objects.
Linda
Upon rereading, the magic is great, I could continue reading her magic descriptions forever. But the ending left me feeling somewhat unsatisfied. I guess I like my magic to come with a great big magical conclusion and that was missing in this book. Still, definatley worth reading and thinking about.
MonsterAteMy
In a family of magic-wielders, Gypsum Lazelle is the only child who seems to have inherited her father's...normalness. She watches her siblings transition into their powers during adolescence and eventually comes to terms with the idea that she will never undergo such an event herself. And then she does. She transitions at the almost unheard of late age of twenty, and discovers that she has been gifted with the dark power of curses. How she handles this is a lot of fun to read. Gyp herself is a ...more
Stephanie
I read this book a few years back but when it popped in my recommendation list I had to add & review. I enjoyed the majority of this book, the description is well done & sucks you in, the characters are intriguing, and the concept of magic in this world is interesting and made me wish it was explored more. The main problem I've always had with this book is the ending. It's anti-climatic and feels almost too easy. Also, the issues of the main character's family aren't fully dealt with. Al ...more
Clarice
This is a re-read but since I'm reading all the Chapel Hollow books (and this is veeery similar) I felt that I should re-read this one too.
Elizabeth
The title has just about nothing to do with the book. It's one of those books that you don't want to have end...
Mav
From what I can remember, this is a story about a woman coming to terms and beginning to accept her body, and herself.
Sharon d
This was just one of those very sweet teen novels involving magic - but from a totaly new persepctive!
jen8998
Very entertaining until the very last chapter.
Strange ending but otherwise fairly good read.
☼Alethia☼ change is good...sometimes...
I loved it. I learned about being different from your family.
Jamie4
Ben Babcock
I shouldn’t like A Fistful of Sky as much as I did. It’s a weird book. Nina Kiriki Hoffman is able to bend all the tropes of fantasy novels set in the contemporary world ever so slightly. The end result is something odd, strange, but no less wonderful. Gypsum LaZelle and her family are an interesting group of people for whom magic is supposed to be a gift—except when it’s not.

The idea of a magical family reminds me somewhat of Tanya Huff’s Gale women. It’s not the same in practice, but the ways
Katharine Herndon
  • Fires of the Faithful (Eliana's Song, #1)
  • Tamsin
  • Promises to Keep (Newford, #21)
  • Indigo Springs (Astrid Lethewood, #1)
  • Brother to Dragons, Companion to Owls
  • The Innamorati
  • Ombria in Shadow
  • The Enchantment Emporium (Gale Women, #1)
  • Solitaire
  • The Privilege of the Sword (Riverside, #2)
  • Wind from a Foreign Sky (Tielmaran Chronicles, #1)
  • The Bird of the River
  • Blood and Iron (Promethean Age, #1)
  • Stealing the Elf-King's Roses
  • Somewhere Beneath Those Waves
  • Trash, Sex, Magic
Nina Kiriki Hoffman’s first solo novel, The Thread That Binds the Bones (1993), won the Bram Stoker Award for first novel; her second novel, The Silent Strength of Stones (1995) was a finalist for the Nebula and World Fantasy Awards. A Red Heart of Memories (1999, part of her “Matt Black” series), nominated for a World Fantasy Award, was followed by sequel Past the Size of Dreaming in 2001. Much o ...more
More about Nina Kiriki Hoffman...

LaZelle (2 books)
  • Fall of Light (LaZelle, #2)
The Thread That Binds the Bones (Chapel Hollow #1) A Stir of Bones (Red Heart of Memories, # 0.5) A Red Heart of Memories (Red Heart of Memories, #1) Spirits That Walk in Shadow (Chapel Hollow, #3) The Silent Strength of Stones (Chapel Hollow #2)

“They open their wings, flash patterns and color, fly from flower toflower. I, with the dark brittles and many feet of the former form, inchalong the ground.
Sometimes all I want is two armfuls of air, a fistful of sky.”
5 likes