Start by marking “Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2)” as Want to Read:
Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2)

Forever Odd (Odd Thomas #2)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  54,696 Ratings  ·  2,179 Reviews
Every so often a character so captures the hearts and imaginations of readers that he seems to take on a life of his own long after the final page is turned. For such a character, one book is not enough—readers must know what happens next. Now Dean Koontz returns with the novel his fans have been demanding. With the emotional power and sheer storytelling artistry that are ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 364 pages
Published June 29th 2007 by Bantam (first published 2005)

Watchers by Dean KoontzOdd Thomas by Dean KoontzIntensity by Dean KoontzLightning by Dean KoontzLife Expectancy by Dean Koontz
Best Dean Koontz Books
13th out of 76 books — 764 voters
Watchers by Dean KoontzOdd Thomas by Dean KoontzLightning by Dean KoontzIntensity by Dean KoontzBrother Odd by Dean Koontz
Dean Koontz's Greatest Hits
13th out of 60 books — 114 voters

More lists with this book...

William Dalphin
Oct 02, 2007 William Dalphin rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People I want to discourage from ever reading again
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Aug 18, 2014 Aj the Ravenous Reader rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The title kind of suits this book because well, the main character's name is Odd, the story is also odd and even the genre is odd. You couldn't tell if it's horror or comedy. So, in short, Forever Odd is one odd book. Is it odd that I enjoyed reading this? :)
Ian
May 03, 2008 Ian rated it liked it
Recommended to Ian by: Kevin
Shelves: suspense
While this Odd Thomas book was a good and entertaining read, I say so resignedly.

Everything is here to make this as solid a book as the first; interesting plot, great supporting characters, etc. Additionally Odd's wit in Forever Odd seemed a bit more refined than the first book, and I enjoyed it a bit more because of it.

What I found unfortunate was that Forever Odd seemed stitched on to the first book in what I felt was a forced way. I couldn't escape the feeling that Odd Thomas was intended to
Jonathan
Jul 13, 2013 Jonathan rated it it was ok
Bark's Book Nonsense
Mar 03, 2010 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
This is the sequel to Odd Thomas, one of my favorites from Koontz. I wasn't expecting it to be as great as the first in the series but I was looking forward to it anyway.

Sadly, it lacked that emotional spark that made Odd Thomas so appealing a read. This time Odd's friend is kidnapped and he spends the book attempting a rescue and battling a crazed female psychopath who wants Odd to conjure her a ghost. I found my mind drifting away far too often as I read. Too much action, too little emotion. O
Quintin Merwe
I am still amazed by the amount of times I find myself laughing out loud when reading the "Odd" books. Brilliantly done and 5 starts for the interesting storyline. I stayed up almost all night reading this book and could not put it down.
The most brilliant thing about the book is that Dean writes in a clever way (yes, some of my friends did not get some of the funny parts); the way that things said in the beginning of the book ends up being absolutely hilarious later on while the book still keep
Jaemi
Jan 25, 2009 Jaemi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Odd Thomas was the first book I read by Dean Koontz, and when I saw Forever Odd at a local Borders and got excited because I knew it had to be another Odd Thomas book, I wasn't surprised to find out tht he'd written since people had been clamoring for more. Odd Thomas is a pretty cool guy.

Still recovering from the disastrous events that led him to write his first manuscript, Odd wakes one night to find Dr. Wilbur Jessup in his bedroom staring at him. He has a sinking feeling.

He heads out the doo
Kathy Davie
Nov 04, 2012 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Second in the Odd Thomas lightweight horror series revolving around a man who sees ghosts. Based in a tiny desert town in California---Pico Mundo.

My Take
I think Koontz uses this series to relax. He uses Odd's character to write the stories in this series and he uses the opportunity to relay his own philosophies about life. It certainly does allow Koontz to wander down some pretty odd paths and relate unrelated trivia! I did like the word association game Odd plays with Danny! Whew… Seems a bit m
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

This review is based on a recent re-read:

Odd Thomas is at it again.... a great story with lot's of twists, turns and surprises.
A childhood friend of Odd’s has disappeared. The worst is feared. But as Odd applies his unique talents to the task of finding the missing person, he discovers something worse than a dead body, encounters an enemy of exceptional cunning, and spirals into a vortex of terror. Once again Odd will stand against our worst fears. Around him will gather new allies and old, some
Deborah Joyner
Aug 16, 2007 Deborah Joyner rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Shelves: fantasy
If you haven't read Odd Thomas, I certainly suggest that you do - this follow-up volume finds Odd in another strange situation. Because Odd can see dead people, he knows something bad is going on when the ghost of his friend Danny's step-dad shows up at the foot of his bed. Danny has been kidnapped - and a strange woman keeps calling Odd with cryptic comments. Following the kidnappers to an abandoned casino, Odd faces down a strange set of killers. It's better than I can describe - Koontz's pros ...more
Stephanie
Mar 09, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished-2015
I love Odd Thomas! This was a great 2nd book of the series! Can't wait to see what happens next!!!
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Love love love these Odd Thomas books... On to the next one!!
Laura Crosse
Mar 08, 2012 Laura Crosse rated it it was amazing
So this was a huge improvement on the first book in my opinion. In this book I actually totally fell in love with Odd and I couldn't get enough of his weird little ways. In the first instalment I thought it was difficult to warm to his character and I didn't really 'get' his weird humor and stuff but this has all changed. I now adore this character, he's so sweet and funny and refreshingly decent it's just fantastic.

The plot was so much better in this novel as well, I thought. I was hooked after
Maciek
Kelly
Uh oh, kids, it’s that time again. What time, you ask? Time for you to pull out your boots and grab your shovels because that synopsis is pure BULLSHIT!

First of all, Odd does not communicate with the dead, he sees the dead. Big difference. I mean sure, he can talk to them, but unless they whip out a pen and paper, he has no idea what they actually want.

Second of all, Datura is not an exceptionally cunning and fearsome enemy. You know what she is? Crazy. Not schizophrenic, bipolar, manic depres
Rachel the Book Harlot
description

Hey, Forever Odd. How ya doin'? Good? Yeah? Look, I'm just gonna come out and say it, things just aren't working out. It's not you, it's me.....

Okay, who are we kidding. It's totally you. Your plot is weak, the story feels like it's not going anywhere, and I'm bored. The magic is gone. And with only one week left of summer vacation, I wanna play the field. You know, weigh my options, read around, see if something catches my interest. I just can't be tied down.

But I really do hope we can be frie
Wendy
Jan 11, 2015 Wendy rated it really liked it
Shelves: jan-15
A great addition to the Odd Thomas series!
Cathie
Not as good as the first book in the series but still an entertaining read. Reading a Dean Koontz's novel is like sitting down with a familiar friend who doesn't take himself or life too seriously. And he is definitely someone that you know will have your back and go beyond the norm to make things right

This time Odd Thomas is using his ghost relating abilities to help out a childhood friend. I had a hard time relating to the underground water tunnel system and hotel ventilation shafts etc., but
Ronna
Oct 10, 2014 Ronna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
Second book in the Odd Thomas series continues to please all my senses. It's really difficult to say much about the story in this book without giving too much of it away. Odd Thomas is definitely different, as he sees and talks to unsettled dead people, and he's drawn to trouble that only he seems to know about in advance. The sherif is the only one in his small town who knows about his gift or curse, depending on how you look at it. In this book he goes in search of a good friend who is missing ...more
Denise
May 05, 2014 Denise rated it liked it
Forever Odd is Book 2 in the Odd Thomas series. After thoroughly enjoying the first book, I immediately picked up this one with eager anticipation. It had me going for about the first half - Dr. Jessup appearing to Odd and leading him to discover his murder and Danny's disappearance, and then Odd's searching to find out what had happened to Danny, kept me turning the pages. Unfortunately, it lost me after that.

First of all, it occurred to me that Danny, Odd's supposed best friend ever from child
Sandi
I'm still not much of a series person, but I'm beginning to see what an author can do by re-visiting a character and setting. The character of Odd is developing quite nicely. He suffered a tragic loss in the first novel, but he's determined not to let that happen again. In Forever Odd, Koontz not only further develops the character of Odd, he expands on the history of Pico Mundo(Small World), California. Pico Mundo is a pretty typical California desert town and Koontz makes it very realistic.

I
Kelly
Apr 01, 2015 Kelly rated it really liked it
Wow. This book was full of action, it's so hard to believe the entire thing took place in such a short amount of time. It was such an enjoyable story.

Poor Odd. Dealing with such insanity. I really don't know how he does it.

As with the last book, this one made me laugh in quite a few spots. I love Odd's personality and wit - he has a great ability to make humourous remarks in situations that I sure wouldn't be able to.

Looking forward to the next book in the series!
Imogen
Aug 19, 2010 Imogen rated it it was ok
Ugh I thought I'd be able to gloss over the normativities and just enjoy a trashy novel, but I was wrong. The villain is

-a sex worker
-a vegetarian
-an herbalist
-sex positive

whereas the hero is

-a fry cook
-who was saving himself for marriage until his One Beloved died
-who doesn't do anything weird.

Boring. I was rooting for the villain the whole time, except she sucked. Plus pretty much nothing happened: SPOILER Odd finds somebody got killed, so he goes to a hotel, where there are some creepy peopl
Filipa
I really, really liked this second installment of Odd but I didn't love it as much as I loved the first book of the series. That probably is due to having to interrupt the reading lots of times for extended periods. That tends to decrease my enthusiasm a bit.
Lewis Weinstein
I tried, but not for me.
Danni
Jun 01, 2009 Danni rated it did not like it
The first book was good...this was not good. I'm not going to spoil it for anyone who wants to/is reading this one but there are some serious holes in this story. The biggest, being Odd's best friend who was never mentioned in the first story. The other is the ending for which I am only confused. The resolution was far-fetched, even for fiction horror.
Ms. Nikki
Nothing special here, but the "voice" of Odd Thomas. I listened to the audiobook and was slightly bored with the wandering that Odd did in the story. I suppose it was due to the pacing, which was really slow.

I'll read the next, but I'm in no rush.
Nadine
Aug 12, 2015 Nadine rated it it was ok
What a disappointment. The first book, Odd Thomas, was fun, witty and quirky but the sequel is just plain boring.

The mystery of this story is boring and underwhelming. The reader is given a character to feel for and is Odd's best friend but was never mentioned in the first book.
The writing is so pompous and annoying. There are so many useless tangents that I started glossing over many parts in the chapter because they were irrelevant to the plot.

Overall, I am so incredibly disappointed with th
Jesse
Mar 11, 2016 Jesse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've re-read Forever Odd a few times. This time I listened to the audiobook.

It's good. It's not quite on the level of my most favorite and beloved Koontz books (Watchers, Dark Rivers of the Heart, Midnight, Fear Nothing, Seize the Night) but it's pretty close. I love the adventure angle, the creepy burnt out abandoned Pantamint casino/hotel is the perfect place to explore and I was totally with that.

I'm embarking on a quest to read all of the Odd Thomas books at the moment. Up until now, I've on
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
Probably my least favorite of the series :-(

Favorite parts from Forever Odd:

The Tree Of Death stands across the alley and down the block from the Jessup place....

Mr. Ying enjoys lecturing on the deadly nature of the lovely brugmansia. Every part of the tree - roots, wood, bark, leaves, calyxes, flowers - is toxic.

One shred of its foliage will induce bleeding from the nose, bleeding from the ears, bleeding from the eyes, and explosive terminal diarrhea. Within a minute, your teeth will fall out,
  • Shadowfires
  • The Voice of the Night
  • Fear that Man / Toyman (Ace Double, 23140)
  • Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, Volume 1: Prodigal Son
  • Demon Child
  • Invasion
  • Dragonfly
  • Hosts (Repairman Jack, #5)
  • Nightshade

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...

Odd Thomas (7 books)
  • Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1)
  • Brother Odd (Odd Thomas, #3)
  • Odd Hours (Odd Thomas, #4)
  • Odd Apocalypse (Odd Thomas, #5)
  • Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas, #6)
  • Saint Odd (Odd Thomas, #7)

“If one's friends do not openly laugh at him, they are not in fact his friends. ” 181 likes
“The heart is an artist that paints over what profoundly disturbs it, leaving on the canvas a less dark, less sharp version of the truth.” 128 likes