The Butterfly Jar

The Butterfly Jar

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Jeff Moss, one of the original creators of theaward-winning Sesame Street, in collaboration withillustrator Chris Demarest, has created this"offering of upbeat poetry that includes theserious and the silly." -- Booklist....more
Published October 1st 1989 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about The Butterfly Jar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Butterfly Jar

Rebecca Schweitzer
This is my favorite book of Children's poetry. My favorite poems are "Hi, How Are You Today?" and "The Cuddlies" both of which I memorized as a child. An overall great book.
Henna Patel
Summary: The Butterfly Jar is wonderful book of poems by Jeff Moss. This book has many different types of poems that are not quite related to each other. The first poem starts with The Butterfly Jar and then other poems such as Purple, Sword Swallowing and The Banana King. The book shares poems for children to simply enjoy. They are funny, cute and full of imagination.

Response: I truly enjoyed the poems in this book. They are full of wonderful different silly topics that are simply fun to read....more
Nadia Gonzalez
Summary: The Butterfly Jar is another silly but yet seriuos collection of poems by Jeff Moss. Butterfly Jar offers a variety poems that range from different types of events, people, objects, and experiences. Moss uses the collections to decribe childhood adventures and misadventures capturing the humor of children. The illustrations are cartoon like but complement each verse form page to page.

Response: Reading these poetry books are changing my views about poetry. I have always known poetry to...more
Nina G.
The Butterfly Jar is a collaboration of poems that are both humorous and playful to both adults and children. Jeff Moss does an outstanding job of writing these poems from a child's perspective just as he did with the classic childrens T.V. show Sesame Street. The poems are creative, silly, and great for anyone to read at any age. The cartoons that go along with each poem are simple yet have a humorous side as well.

My response: I really enjoyed reading this book of poems. I am not really a big f...more
Reenie Peppers
Themes: humorous poetry, everyday experiences poetry
Activities: read-aloud, discuss the everyday situations, have students write a poem along the theme of a poem in the book
Carole
Jeff Moss has written a book full of silly, funny, sad, and any and every other subject of poetry for children, illustrated by Chris Demarest.
Brenda Pritchard
POETRY:
This book is a book of poems by one of the creators and head writers of Sesame Street. All the poems are funny, zany, and quirky in their own way. One of the poems titled "London Bridge" goes;

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down,
London Bridge is falling down,

If a bridge in your town was falling down, Would you make up a cute little song about it?
I hope not.

My fair lady.

That just gives an example of the humor in the poetry that kids would enjoy.

I would recommend t...more
Kassie
I read the "Butterfly Jar" for my poety unit in my Kid Lit class. This book is filled with tons of poems about bugs, families, and toys. When I first got this book to read I thought that it was going to be full of stuff that would be kinda lame beacuse it was "children's poems." I actually laughed a lot while reading these poems. The book is full of peoms that are funny, cute, and friendly! I would recommended this book to children who like to read good poetry.
Michele
I absolutely adore this book! Jeff Moss, the man behind such Sesame Street classics like "Rubber Ducky", "The People in your Neighborhood" and "I Don't Want to Live on the Moon", has created a set of classic poems ranging from the silly and offbeat like hugging an octupus to the seriousness the death of parent. Each one touches children and adults as well in hilarious and touching ways. I highly recommend this for young and the young at heart.
These are pretty typical poems for kids -- a bit quirky, funny, and serious mixed in together. The style and illustrations remind me of Shel Silverstein's, though of course no one can touch Shel's skills as a poet.

Reading illustrated poetry for children on a Kindle might not have been the best idea ever. I suspect that the ideas and poems might flow a bit better when they are presented in print.
April Castle
These poems are from a kids point of view. Example of one is how they see a wedding. The perception of a child is so much different then an adult. It is a funny book to read to an class. The poems are so true. I believe you could read a poem a day for a little light humor in your classroom.
Jeretta Hall
The Butterfly Jar wasn't too bad. It had some really good poems in it and other poems were not so great or actually very sad. But the good outweigh the bad in this book. They are very enjoyable and remind me bit of Shel Silverstien. All in all, not too bad!
Tersa
This is such a cute book of poetry. Some of it is similar to Shel Silverstein, but for a younger audience. The author wrote lyrics for Sesame Street for several years. Some of those are included in this collection.
This is one of my all time favorite poetry books. Jeff Moss has just a gentle way of seeing life. Kids will laugh out loud at the characters. Lots of life lessons in short little poems!
J
Exactly what I would expect from a Sesame Street composer...plus it has the words to I Don't Want to Live on the Moon (which I need to memorize so I can sing it to the boy).
Debby
What a cute book of poetry. I loved it!
Caitlin
The Butterfly Jar by Jeff Moss (1989)
Angie
I still have this book on my shelf!
Nov 06, 2008 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Niki (Daydream Reader)
Niki (Daydream Reader) marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jeff Moss was a head writer and composer-lyricist on Sesame Street. Some of his best-known songs from the show include "Rubber Duckie," "I Love Trash," "The People in Your Neighborhood," "I Don't Want to Live on the Moon," and "Nasty Dan." In addition to songwriting, Moss helped create Cookie Monster, Oscar the Grouch, and Guy Smiley.

Moss won 15 Emmys for his work and wrote the songs for four Gram...more
More about Jeff Moss...
Oscar's Book (Sesame Street) Bob and Jack: A Boy and His Yak The Other Side of the Door: Poems Bone Poems Hieronymus White