Start by marking “The Division Of Labour In Society” as Want to Read:
The Division Of Labour In Society

The Division Of Labour In Society

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,201 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
quelques remarques sur les groupements professionnels : en rééditant cet ouvrage, nous nous sommes interdit d'en modifier l'économie première. Un livre a une individualité qu'il doit garder. Il convient de lui laisser la physionomie sous laquelle il s'est fait connaître.
Published (first published July 28th 1893)

To ask other readers questions about The Division Of Labour In Society, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Division Of Labour In Society

Vikas Lather
No wonder why sociology borrows from political science, otherwise this is what happens when you don't :p
Joan
Oct 10, 2010 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sociology
Putting aside for a second the super annoying "human body is a microcosm of society" examples, his blatant racism and sexism, and his borderline anti-semitism, there is something really interesting going on here.

Is this the Manifesto of the American Democratic Party circa 2010 (now)?

Because we've made our religions less rigid, and we've left our families for towns, and we've moved closer to one another, we can, we must, differentiate ourselves into different professions, to express our individua
Neil
Dec 05, 2007 Neil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
One hell of a dissertation. At the same time I didn't appreciate in the slightest Durkheim's tendency to create prescriptions based only on the normative characters in a particular society. Normative, etymologically, concerns some type of adherence to a majority, and therein is a rather secure stance to take. I feel like for all the effort spent understanding the safest parts of society, Durkheim did little to incorporate the more subjugated members into that norm. Rather, he told Parisian women ...more
Muhammad Shemyal Nisar
It was ok-sih i guess.... or maybe I was expecting a lot more from it....
Gregory
Sep 28, 2007 Gregory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
people drive people
Marie
This book was a required text for one of my senior sociology classes. While it is very educational, I could not bring myself to rate it higher than a two simply because it is so dry. I managed to make it through, but only by dragging myself along with the dregs of my strength ... it sounds terribly juvenile to complain about a text that is supposed to be educational and enlightening as "dry," but I believe the best-written books will teach you everything necessary and expound upon the author's h ...more
Michael
This is Durkheim's first book. I read his last book, "Elementary forms of Religious Experience" first, and liked it immensely. This one is drier (it was his doctoral thesis).

There is a thesis (for example described in another book I read called 'The Social Construction of Reality') to the effect that social institutions (in particular governments) are spontaneous products of a living milieu. As such, they must be periodically dismantled in order to be allowed to reform in a more relevant and eff
Brittany Bond
My Valentine's Day Blizzard Weekend 2015 accomplishment. Knocked off one of the first requirements in my long generals prep reading list. Read everything but the abnormalities stuff at the end which does not seem to be in use these days.
Luke Echo
Mar 21, 2014 Luke Echo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sociology Canon
David
Oct 09, 2012 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find Durkheim incredibly frustrating. The idea of social facts is, perhaps, an interesting concept for the time. However, his treatment of the division of labor really forces the social concept and often strides over the development of interesting perspectives from other disciplines. This is especially evident in his constant argument by negation. Another classic in Sociology, though, and another perspective to consider when viewing the economic realities of our society.
Savannah S
Dec 27, 2013 Savannah S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four stars because much better than Marx and Smith in my opinion. Good, clear (are you listening, Marx?) writing. Interesting, thoughtful ideas and arguments. I particularly enjoyed how Durkheim applied the idea of the Division of Labor to systems and aspects of life other than the economy.

But don't get me wrong. This book wasn't exactly as pleasure to read either.
Elizabeth Fleming
3 1/2 stars
Vern Glaser
Oct 24, 2009 Vern Glaser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very interesting discussion and a good counterpoint to Marx...key concepts include mechanical vs organic solidarity, repressive vs restitutive law, and the idea that humanity becomes more individualized over time due to the division of labor.
Jeffrey
Sep 16, 2013 Jeffrey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicago
Interesting, if redundant, look at the ever increasing specialization of individuals in our society which still rings true today. Parts of it were extremely sexist however, but that is largely a product of the period in which it was written.
Rodrigo
Jan 06, 2013 Rodrigo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A pungent analysis of current modernity, specially considering book III and the theory of democracy that figures in the last pages of book I.
Sridatta
had to read first three chapters for my sociology class. gave me quite a headache with lot of bad arguments
Lauren Sailor
durkie baby, can't we talk about beliefs some more? this DOLIS stuff was not up my alley.
Zahra Abtahi
when I give it two stars, it just means that I didn't enjoy reading it. no more.
Risa
The Division of Labor in Society by Emile Durkheim (1997)
Ghola
Mar 17, 2009 Ghola rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read in grad school. Need to re-read soon.
Andrew
Nov 14, 2012 Andrew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthropology
Shuffles between triteness and blantant racism.
Laura Jean
Durkheim needed an editor.
Lauren
Sep 24, 2012 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Durkheim
K
Sep 12, 2012 K rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
sucked
Glenda
Glenda marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Hunter
Hunter marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Bradley
Bradley rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2016
James Mullard
James Mullard marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Sara Ali
Sara Ali marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
  • From Max Weber: Essays in Sociology
  • Mind, Self and Society from the Standpoint of a Social Behaviorist
  • Outline of a Theory of Practice
  • The Sociological Imagination
  • The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life
  • Capitalism and Modern Social Theory: An Analysis of the Writings of Marx, Durkheim and Max Weber
  • On Individuality and Social Forms
  • Ideology and Utopia: An Introduction to the Sociology of Knowledge
  • Invitation to Sociology: A Humanistic Perspective
  • The Marx-Engels Reader
  • The Theory of Communicative Action, Vol 1: Reason & the Rationalization of Society
  • The Civilizing Process
Much of Durkheim's work was concerned with how societies could maintain their integrity and coherence in modernity; an era in which traditional social and religious ties are no longer assumed, and in which new social institutions have come into being. His first major sociological work was The Division of Labor in Society (1893). In 1895, he published his Rules of the Sociological Method and set up ...more
More about Émile Durkheim...

“Methodological rules are for science what rules of law and custom are for conduct.” 0 likes