Start by marking “Clara and Asha ” as Want to Read:

Clara and Asha

In Clara and Asha -- as in Eric Rohmann's Caldecott Medal-winning My Friend Rabbit--a simple storyline becomes the basis for fun and sophistication. Clara's friend Asha is an enormous fish, which means that hide-and-seek, Halloween, snow days, and afternoons in the park offer surprising opportunities for adventure. With oil paintings that playfully suggest stories within s ...more
Published August 1st 2005 by Roaring Brook Press (first published September 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Clara and Asha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clara and Asha

Amanda
Oct 13, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it
Summary:
This is a story about friendship that won the Caldecott medal in 2003. The friendship is between the little girl Clara, and the very large fish named Asha. This story is about imagination and the pictures do a great job of representing that. There is very little text on the page and the pictures speak for themselves. The story begins with Asha coming to Clara before bedtime through the window. The fish and girl met in the park when Asha was a part of a fountain. They then played together
N_kellie
Oct 20, 2010 N_kellie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Clara and Asha is an imaginative, fantasy that’s gorgeous oil paintings hooked me from the first page (well, the cover actually!) Eric Rohmann, author of My Friend Rabbit, has written and illustrated this story of a friendship between Clara and her enormous fish friend, Asha. Young protagonist Clara, who is probably 5 or 6, explains that she met Asha in the park. Asha is a fountain fish, made of stone. Asha becomes Clara’s new imaginary friend, who she shares many adventures with. They play in t ...more
Tamara
Jul 21, 2009 Tamara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
What a lovely, lovely book.

I have a theory that you can often judge a book based on the names of the characters. If that is true, this one is no exception. Clara and Asha rock.

Favorite page:

And tonight? Tonight we play in the sky.
Rebecca Gomez
Mar 17, 2017 Rebecca Gomez rated it liked it
I love Eric Rohmann's art, but I wasn't impressed with the story in this book.
Kaitlin Heaton
picture book

Fun story about a child with an imagination.
Tiffany Fox
May 06, 2015 Tiffany Fox rated it it was amazing
Title: Clara and Asha
Author: Eric Rohmann
Illustrator: Eric Rohmann
Publisher/Date: Roaring Brook Press (Holtzbrinck)/ 8/1/2005
Pages/Format: 40/ Hardcover
ISBN: 9781596430310

In Clara and Asha -- as in Eric Rohmann's Caldecott Medal-winning My Friend Rabbit -- a simple storyline becomes the basis for fun and sophistication. Clara's friend Asha is an enormous fish, which means that hide-and-seek, Halloween, snow days, and afternoons in the park offer surprising opportunities for adventure. With oil p
Sofia Davis
Sep 08, 2014 Sofia Davis rated it it was amazing
I thought the picture book "Clara and Asha" by Eric Roshman was a very creative and fun book for children to read and even relate to. It begin with a young girl named Clara who has to get ready for bed but had trouble because of an imaginary fish friend she has, and whose name is Asha. Clara begins telling how her and Asha first met in the park (Asha was a statue fish on a fountain) and how from there she took Asha home and introduced her to all her other imaginary animal friends. Clara and Ash ...more
Alexandria
Nov 23, 2013 Alexandria rated it really liked it
Clara and Asha is a story about a young girl who uses her wild imagination to create many of her friends. One of her most special friends, Asha, is a giant fish whom she thinks up after seeing a fish fountain at the park. From tea parties to snow days to floating on bubbles in the night sky, Clara and Asha experience many exciting adventures together.

The beautiful oil painting pictures within this story help captivate reader’s into feeling the joy and excitement that is having an imaginary frie
Rilee
Dec 02, 2013 Rilee rated it it was amazing
“Clara and Asha” is a story about a little girl named Clara who uses her wild imagination to create many of her friends. One of her most special friends is Asha who is a giant fish. From tea parties to floating on bubbles in the night sky, Clara and Asha experience many exciting adventures together. The illustrations in this book capture the genuine and deep friendship between Clara and her friends.

This would be a great book to use for a creative writing assignment. Each student will have a tur
L11_Laura
Feb 14, 2011 L11_Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Clara, a young girl, uses her imagination to take her on magical adventures with her fish-friend, Asha. She "met" Asha at a fountain in a park. Asha was a fish statue in the fountain. Clara takes her home in her imagination and introduces her to all her "friends" (stuffed animals) and at night, Clara and Asha go on adventures before Clara's mom eventually makes her go to bed.

The illustrations in this picture book are magnificent. The colors, the sketches, all make this book come to life. As a re
Fjóla
I would rate it 3 and 1/2 stars if I could. The illustrations are definitely very beautiful and fun, and the story both creative and soothing, but I just wasn't very touched. We have enjoyed other books by Eric Rohmann, but I still think My Friend Rabbit stands out quite a bit from the other as the best one of the lot.
Emily
Jul 14, 2008 Emily rated it liked it
Micah keeps asking for this book over and over again. The story is pretty accurate as far as being based on something a little kid would think and daydream about.

When I was little, my "Asha" was a pair of stone lions, flanking some strangers' front door. Every time we would drive by in our bright blue VW van, I would try to shout out (through the wind blowing in the microscopic sliding window) "Come on, Pheefee, jump in!"

Kind of obscure, but still interesting. The illustrations are soft--the on
Dec 28, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
A very whimsical and imaginative story of a little girl's adventures when she is supposed to be asleep. It kind of reminded me a bit of Peter Pan except there was a giant fish whisking away the girl into the night sky. But it was a sweet story of friendship and how a girl could soar across the night sky in her imagination. The ending was pretty amusing as well. I especially liked the illustrations and felt like they added to the story and made it fun. I'd probably recommend.

*Taken from My Sentim
Karen
Jan 09, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week. He liked the cover. So did I.

I love flying fish. Not so much the ones that jump out of the ocean and look like they are flying, and I am completely freaked up by walking fish, but fantastical fish that can fly in the sky as if it were water -- love that.

My son apparently has inherited my aesthetic. He, too, loves fantastical flying fish. The sumptuous, rich artwork makes this book feel like a beautiful dream during waking ho
Ashley
Mar 17, 2014 Ashley rated it liked it
Shelves: books
In this book Clara, her mother sends a young girl, to bed, but Clara isn’t ready for bed. While lying in bed Asha, a giant fish, comes in through the window. Clara and Asha go on many adventures together, but only Clara can see her. When Asha leaves, so Clara can go to bed another friend, an alligator comes to see Clara.

I chose this book, because this book shows that other children may have imaginary friends. The pictures in this book allow the children to use their imagination.
Questions- Do you
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
Eric Rohmann
Roaring Book Press
Gr PK-2
Picture Book
Clara and Asha by Eric Rohmann is a simple story that tells a wonderful story of friendship. Clara has an imaginary friend named Asha, a giant fish. Together they have marvelous adventures and share a wonderful friendship. Rohmann is a master at the illustrations and at using the technique of continuing the story using only the pictures. This is a book that should be shared again and again.
Joolissa
A splendid frolic of imagination with a great end. It's presented in such a way that it is both about imaginary friends, but also a magical adventure. Quite adorable and playful. The chalk or pastel illustrations are soft and cute. My only nitpick is the little girl is the only thing in the book without catchlights in her eyes, but I did quite enjoy the style. Overall it's a lovely read and I'd recommend it, especially for imaginative little kids who love their stuffed toys.
Debra Millan
Dec 01, 2013 Debra Millan rated it really liked it
This book is about a young girl named Clara with a very vivid imagination. This book celebrates the power of a good imagination. The illustrations are delightful; both simple and rich in nature. The text is minimal and utilizes low level vocabulary, which is perfect for beginning readers. This would be a fun story to read to preschool students before they take a nap. I would also utilize the story to teach children the difference between real and imaginary events.
Dolly
Apr 05, 2010 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
What child can't relate to being told to go to sleep when she just isn't sleepy yet? This book captures the wild imagination and the adventures Clara goes on during bedtime. The illustrations are dark and ethereal, almost dreamlike and the story was light and creative. Our girls really liked this story and enjoyed talking about their dreams and how fun it would be to float up into the sky on a bubble.
Gail Barge
Imagination is the theme of this book! I love the way the young girl has such a vivid imagination, creating friends that visit her at night. This book is very original in that it has quite a few pages with only images, no text. This reminds of the book Tuesday that has pages with just pictures that the reader has to "read". This would be a fun book to use when discussing imagination and creative writing.
Holly Brown
Nov 28, 2012 Holly Brown rated it really liked it
This book is about a girl named Clara. Clara has a big imagination and has several imaginary friends, including a giant fish named Asha. This book shows the adventures that Clara and Asha experience.

I enjoyed this book. It was a great way of showing a young girl and her vast imagination.

I would use this book in my classroom to bring up the topic of imagination with my students. This book would encourage my students to be creative and use their imagination.
Jul 20, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Perhaps I'm a little partial to this book because of the title character, but even if the little girl had a completely different name, it would be hard to resist this tale about the spectacular results of a big imagination. Love the illustrations, love the simplicity of the story. Could be read to a wide audience of many ages, or as an enchanting alternative to all the usual bedtime stories.
Barbara
Clara has some busy days and nights since she spends them with her fantastic friends. Asha is a larger-than-life fish that enjoys playing various games in which they tumble throughout the sky together, something that is vividly depicted in the oil paintings. Readers will smile at the book's conclusion since Clara seems to be quite popular.
Courtney Sharpton
Apr 04, 2011 Courtney Sharpton rated it really liked it
I liked this book because it reminded me of the book Tuesday. There is a portion of the book where there are no words and it is necessary to read the pictures. I also really loved this book for younger students because of its magical story. Students could relate to going on an adventure in the sky with a fish.
Renate
This is a very whimsical story about a girl and a giant fish that she imagines comes and visits her at night when she leaves her window open. The language is simple and the illustrations are beautiful. It might be fun to talk about imagination and dreams after reading the book. It promotes print motivation.
Alison
Mar 11, 2015 Alison rated it it was amazing
This is a book that can describe any child's life when they make friends with inanimate objects and give them life in their imaginations. This book's character becomes friends with the stone fish from the water fountain in the park. She describes all of the fun they have together. This would be a great independent read for children who are fluent readers.
Skye Kilaen
Jan 06, 2015 Skye Kilaen rated it it was amazing
One of the first children's books we read as adults that blew our minds with sheer awesomeness. Clara is a little girl, and Asha is one of her dearest friends... who happens to be a giant imaginary fish. There is so much magic in this book, and it's all so understated, which is no mean feat when there's a giant fish involved. I love how few words are needed to tell this story.
Kelly
Jan 03, 2008 Kelly rated it it was amazing
I loved this story, and was excited to show it to Corbin. I was pleased that he absolutely adores this too. Of course it has a fish (which is an animal favorite), the little girl blows bubbles, there is a ball, and a night time star scene that Corbin just loves looking at. This is a sweet story about friendship.
Tichina Fung-chung
The first thing I look at in a book is the illustrations, and the ones in this book are amzaing. I love how detailed the pictures are, but also I enjoyed reading about the little girl and her huge imagaination. This is a story children can relate to and is a good book to encourage students to use their imagination, especially in writing.
Callie Rose Tyler
This has easily become one of my new favorites!

Aside from the stunning artwork, the simple storytelling is very effective in connecting the reader to the characters. This story of friendship is also about imagination!

Sweet, whimsical, and incredibly charming. It perfectly captures childhood and makes you feel all warm inside.
  • Tell Me the Day Backwards
  • Jumpy Jack & Googily
  • And the Dish Ran Away with the Spoon
  • The Thingamabob
  • In a Blue Room
Eric Rohmann won the Caldecott Medal for My Friend Rabbit, and a Caldecott Honor for Time Flies. He is also the author and illustrator of Bone Dog, Clara and Asha, A Kitten Tale, and The Cinder-Eyed Cats, among other books for children. He has illustrated many other books, including Last Song, based on a poem by James Guthrie, and has created book jackets for a number of novels, including His Dark ...more
More about Eric Rohmann...