Start by marking “Clara and Asha ” as Want to Read:
Clara and Asha

Clara and Asha

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  57 reviews
In Clara and Asha -- as in Eric Rohmann's Caldecott Medal-winning My Friend Rabbit--a simple storyline becomes the basis for fun and sophistication. Clara's friend Asha is an enormous fish, which means that hide-and-seek, Halloween, snow days, and afternoons in the park offer surprising opportunities for adventure. With oil paintings that playfully suggest stories within s ...more
Published August 1st 2005 by Roaring Brook Press (first published September 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Clara and Asha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clara and Asha

Amanda
Summary:
This is a story about friendship that won the Caldecott medal in 2003. The friendship is between the little girl Clara, and the very large fish named Asha. This story is about imagination and the pictures do a great job of representing that. There is very little text on the page and the pictures speak for themselves. The story begins with Asha coming to Clara before bedtime through the window. The fish and girl met in the park when Asha was a part of a fountain. They then played together
N_kellie
Clara and Asha is an imaginative, fantasy that’s gorgeous oil paintings hooked me from the first page (well, the cover actually!) Eric Rohmann, author of My Friend Rabbit, has written and illustrated this story of a friendship between Clara and her enormous fish friend, Asha. Young protagonist Clara, who is probably 5 or 6, explains that she met Asha in the park. Asha is a fountain fish, made of stone. Asha becomes Clara’s new imaginary friend, who she shares many adventures with. They play in t ...more
Sofia Davis
I thought the picture book "Clara and Asha" by Eric Roshman was a very creative and fun book for children to read and even relate to. It begin with a young girl named Clara who has to get ready for bed but had trouble because of an imaginary fish friend she has, and whose name is Asha. Clara begins telling how her and Asha first met in the park (Asha was a statue fish on a fountain) and how from there she took Asha home and introduced her to all her other imaginary animal friends. Clara and Ash ...more
Tamara
What a lovely, lovely book.

I have a theory that you can often judge a book based on the names of the characters. If that is true, this one is no exception. Clara and Asha rock.

Favorite page:

And tonight? Tonight we play in the sky.
Ashley
In this book Clara, her mother sends a young girl, to bed, but Clara isn’t ready for bed. While lying in bed Asha, a giant fish, comes in through the window. Clara and Asha go on many adventures together, but only Clara can see her. When Asha leaves, so Clara can go to bed another friend, an alligator comes to see Clara.

I chose this book, because this book shows that other children may have imaginary friends. The pictures in this book allow the children to use their imagination.
Questions- Do you
Fjóla
I would rate it 3 and 1/2 stars if I could. The illustrations are definitely very beautiful and fun, and the story both creative and soothing, but I just wasn't very touched. We have enjoyed other books by Eric Rohmann, but I still think My Friend Rabbit stands out quite a bit from the other as the best one of the lot.
Cheryl
Absolutely nothing wrong with this. I'd give it four stars, except that it kept reminding me of other books that have impressed me more. For example, the wordless pages remind me of Tuesday and other books by David Wiesner and some by Chris Van Allsburg.

The themes and most of the storyline are too much like the magical Moon Tiger, which has a bonus of an extra theme about siblings, and Ned And The Joybaloo which has a truly poetic text supporting enriched themes.

You might not be able to find al
Alexandria
Clara and Asha is a story about a young girl who uses her wild imagination to create many of her friends. One of her most special friends, Asha, is a giant fish whom she thinks up after seeing a fish fountain at the park. From tea parties to snow days to floating on bubbles in the night sky, Clara and Asha experience many exciting adventures together.

The beautiful oil painting pictures within this story help captivate reader’s into feeling the joy and excitement that is having an imaginary frie
Joolissa
A splendid frolic of imagination with a great end. It's presented in such a way that it is both about imaginary friends, but also a magical adventure. Quite adorable and playful. The chalk or pastel illustrations are soft and cute. My only nitpick is the little girl is the only thing in the book without catchlights in her eyes, but I did quite enjoy the style. Overall it's a lovely read and I'd recommend it, especially for imaginative little kids who love their stuffed toys.
Skye Kilaen
One of the first children's books we read as adults that blew our minds with sheer awesomeness. Clara is a little girl, and Asha is one of her dearest friends... who happens to be a giant imaginary fish. There is so much magic in this book, and it's all so understated, which is no mean feat when there's a giant fish involved. I love how few words are needed to tell this story.
Rilee
“Clara and Asha” is a story about a little girl named Clara who uses her wild imagination to create many of her friends. One of her most special friends is Asha who is a giant fish. From tea parties to floating on bubbles in the night sky, Clara and Asha experience many exciting adventures together. The illustrations in this book capture the genuine and deep friendship between Clara and her friends.

This would be a great book to use for a creative writing assignment. Each student will have a tur
Callie Rose Tyler
This has easily become one of my new favorites!

Aside from the stunning artwork, the simple storytelling is very effective in connecting the reader to the characters. This story of friendship is also about imagination!

Sweet, whimsical, and incredibly charming. It perfectly captures childhood and makes you feel all warm inside.
Alison
This is a book that can describe any child's life when they make friends with inanimate objects and give them life in their imaginations. This book's character becomes friends with the stone fish from the water fountain in the park. She describes all of the fun they have together. This would be a great independent read for children who are fluent readers.
Karen
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week. He liked the cover. So did I.

I love flying fish. Not so much the ones that jump out of the ocean and look like they are flying, and I am completely freaked up by walking fish, but fantastical fish that can fly in the sky as if it were water -- love that.

My son apparently has inherited my aesthetic. He, too, loves fantastical flying fish. The sumptuous, rich artwork makes this book feel like a beautiful dream during waking ho
Barbara
Clara has some busy days and nights since she spends them with her fantastic friends. Asha is a larger-than-life fish that enjoys playing various games in which they tumble throughout the sky together, something that is vividly depicted in the oil paintings. Readers will smile at the book's conclusion since Clara seems to be quite popular.
L11_Laura
Clara, a young girl, uses her imagination to take her on magical adventures with her fish-friend, Asha. She "met" Asha at a fountain in a park. Asha was a fish statue in the fountain. Clara takes her home in her imagination and introduces her to all her "friends" (stuffed animals) and at night, Clara and Asha go on adventures before Clara's mom eventually makes her go to bed.

The illustrations in this picture book are magnificent. The colors, the sketches, all make this book come to life. As a re
Snorkle
A very whimsical and imaginative story of a little girl's adventures when she is supposed to be asleep. It kind of reminded me a bit of Peter Pan except there was a giant fish whisking away the girl into the night sky. But it was a sweet story of friendship and how a girl could soar across the night sky in her imagination. The ending was pretty amusing as well. I especially liked the illustrations and felt like they added to the story and made it fun. I'd probably recommend.

*Taken from My Sentim
Rhonda
Lovely story of a girl with a big imagination! Beautiful illustrations!
Emily
Micah keeps asking for this book over and over again. The story is pretty accurate as far as being based on something a little kid would think and daydream about.

When I was little, my "Asha" was a pair of stone lions, flanking some strangers' front door. Every time we would drive by in our bright blue VW van, I would try to shout out (through the wind blowing in the microscopic sliding window) "Come on, Pheefee, jump in!"

Kind of obscure, but still interesting. The illustrations are soft--the on
Holly Brown
This book is about a girl named Clara. Clara has a big imagination and has several imaginary friends, including a giant fish named Asha. This book shows the adventures that Clara and Asha experience.

I enjoyed this book. It was a great way of showing a young girl and her vast imagination.

I would use this book in my classroom to bring up the topic of imagination with my students. This book would encourage my students to be creative and use their imagination.
Debra Millan
This book is about a young girl named Clara with a very vivid imagination. This book celebrates the power of a good imagination. The illustrations are delightful; both simple and rich in nature. The text is minimal and utilizes low level vocabulary, which is perfect for beginning readers. This would be a fun story to read to preschool students before they take a nap. I would also utilize the story to teach children the difference between real and imaginary events.
Gail Barge
Imagination is the theme of this book! I love the way the young girl has such a vivid imagination, creating friends that visit her at night. This book is very original in that it has quite a few pages with only images, no text. This reminds of the book Tuesday that has pages with just pictures that the reader has to "read". This would be a fun book to use when discussing imagination and creative writing.
Dolly
Apr 05, 2010 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
What child can't relate to being told to go to sleep when she just isn't sleepy yet? This book captures the wild imagination and the adventures Clara goes on during bedtime. The illustrations are dark and ethereal, almost dreamlike and the story was light and creative. Our girls really liked this story and enjoyed talking about their dreams and how fun it would be to float up into the sky on a bubble.
Perhaps I'm a little partial to this book because of the title character, but even if the little girl had a completely different name, it would be hard to resist this tale about the spectacular results of a big imagination. Love the illustrations, love the simplicity of the story. Could be read to a wide audience of many ages, or as an enchanting alternative to all the usual bedtime stories.
Caren
This is a true picture book. Beautiful dreamlike artwork with few words. It is a treat for the eyes. I loved searching the pictures to find any hidden object. Not that it has hidden objects. It's just that the artwork is amazing and deserves searching. Loved this book and will read it again before I take it back to the library.
Tichina Fung-chung
The first thing I look at in a book is the illustrations, and the ones in this book are amzaing. I love how detailed the pictures are, but also I enjoyed reading about the little girl and her huge imagaination. This is a story children can relate to and is a good book to encourage students to use their imagination, especially in writing.
Courtney Sharpton
I liked this book because it reminded me of the book Tuesday. There is a portion of the book where there are no words and it is necessary to read the pictures. I also really loved this book for younger students because of its magical story. Students could relate to going on an adventure in the sky with a fish.
Kelly
I loved this story, and was excited to show it to Corbin. I was pleased that he absolutely adores this too. Of course it has a fish (which is an animal favorite), the little girl blows bubbles, there is a ball, and a night time star scene that Corbin just loves looking at. This is a sweet story about friendship.
Megan
Aww. This book caught my eye when I was unloading the bookdrop and I couldn't help but read it. It took about 30 seconds, but I'll have to go back and look at the illustrations some more. I really enjoyed the style. I'll have to remember this one for my future kids.
  • The Little Red Fish
  • There's Going to Be a Baby
  • Little Mouse's Big Book of Fears
  • Moon Rabbit
  • Maybe a Bear Ate It!
Eric Rohmann won the Caldecott Medal for My Friend Rabbit, and a Caldecott Honor for Time Flies. He is also the author and illustrator of Bone Dog, Clara and Asha, A Kitten Tale, and The Cinder-Eyed Cats, among other books for children. He has illustrated many other books, including Last Song, based on a poem by James Guthrie, and has created book jackets for a number of novels, including His Dark ...more
More about Eric Rohmann...
My Friend Rabbit Time Flies Bone Dog A Kitten Tale The Cinder-Eyed Cats