Hercule Poirot's Casebook (Hercule Poirot, #42)

Hercule Poirot's Casebook (Hercule Poirot #42)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  801 ratings  ·  29 reviews
A complete collection of fifty stories about Hercule Poirot, the shrewd little detective with the egg-shaped head and enormous black mustaches-of which he is very proud- who was created by that great storyteller, Agatha Christie.
Published December 30th 2004 (first published January 1st 1984)

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingThe Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre DumasThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Best Male Characters
61st out of 252 books — 141 voters
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodThe Magician's Nephew by C.S. LewisThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsA Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare
The Something's Something
74th out of 264 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

D.L. Morrese
My father loves these stories, and the last time we were at his place for a visit, he loaned a copy of this book to my son. He read it in a single sitting and loaned it to my other son. I finally got around to reading it and I can't honestly say why I liked it as much as I did. The the dialog is artificial, the characters are unbelievable, and the stories vary between predictable and unlikely. But I enjoyed each and every one of them. Maybe it's the character of Poirot, the pompous and prissy Be...more
Larry Hostetler
I don't know why I picked two 880 page books to read this year, but I did. The nice thing about this is that with 50 stories you need not worry about keeping track of the narrative. The further I got along in the reading the more I enjoyed Poirot. It is what you expect, which is both reassuring and (after 40 or more) a little too predictable. But well worth the time and effort.
i love these short stories... nothing like a little mystery on a rainy night in bed
Courtney
From "Poirot Investigates"
1) The Adventure of "The Western Star"
2) The Tragedy at Marsdon Manor
13) The Lost Mine
14) The Chocolate Box

From "Dead Man's Mirror"...more
Kyle
The detective stories depicting Agatha Christie's famed detective Poirot -- deifying "the little grey cells" and "order and method," even as he's a peculiar little guy spouting off a random selection of French asides -- show a strange British Francophilia. At the time Christie was creating Poirot, it was fashionable in England to sympathize with Belgium, as Germany's WWI invasion and occupation (Rape of Belgium, you know) was their casus belli. But that's far in the background; so aside from an...more
Mti Librarian
This is an excellent collection of all of Agatha Christie's short stories featuring her most famous character the Belgian (not French!) private detective Hercule Poirot. In about 2006 I started a challenge to read all of the books written by Agatha Christie. I just finished it in Sept of 2010 and found it very fascinating to discover the depth and breath of her writing. Incidentally, this is also a former library book that I had to pay for after dropping it into the bath tub, but it was worth ev...more
Mehaboobmunna
Review for two cases.

The Incredible Theft: Confidential papers of New theoretical bomber go missing in the middle of night! The engineer (though short sighted) seems to have seen someone slip from his study window, His friend who has perfect eyesight says contrary. Presence of woman whose image is more known as a spy gets things complicated! Poirot is called to solve the case.

Murder in the Mews: Japp and Poirot are having a walk, while crackers ho loud. Both chat on how easy it'd be to shoot so...more
Dharia Scarab

4 sta...more
Dadoo
Ah mon ami it is possible to dull the little grey cells with an overdose of the dapper Belgian with the moustache exquisite, no? Oui!
This book is a large, did I say very large sampling of Hercule Poirot short stories and in the beginning Dame Christie made Captain Hastings aka the Straight Man but as one progresses he disappears and we have a valet and a chauffeur appearing and in the latter stages good old Miss Lemon and many of the stories are written in third person impersonal which is not...more
Beth
Jan 25, 2008 Beth rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2008
A collection of collections of short stories
800+ pages
From an amazon review:
_Poirot Investigates_ (14 stories, all 1923)
_Dead Man's Mirror_ (4)
_The Regatta Mystery_ (5 Poirot stories out of a larger collection; throughout the 1930s)
_The Labours of Hercules_ (including the Foreword)
_Three Blind Mice_ (3 Poirot stories out of a larger collection)
_The Under Dog_ (8, all but "The Submarine Plans"; most 1923, one 1926)
_Double Sin_ (4; 1923 and 1928)
Lots of Poirot. Not too much Hastings, thankfully.

I'd already noticed that 'ol Agatha liked to...revisit certain methods of murder, certain plots while watching the first and second seasons of PBS' Poirot series. Having slogged through some 800 pages of her stuff, I realize she was not terribly keen on straying far from the tried and true. That's not always a bad thing, but after a while the repetition really starts to wear on a reader.
RachelAnne
I love Hercule Poirot and the little grey cells in his egg-shaped head. How I wish I had his understanding of "method" and "the psychology." There are other mystery authors I enjoy immensely, but there is simply no one who can approach Agatha Christie in her combination of prolific output while maintaining decent quality and cozy charm, let alone that glorious period ambience one gets from her books. If only she weren't dead!
Deanna Knippling
Fifty Poirot stories...

I'm finally getting to the point where I can tell her better short stories apart; some of these gave a lot of clues during the solution. "What? Why didn't you tell me this earlier?" Like the conclusion of an essay, the solution of a mystery may not provide new information. Nyaa.

But, on the whole--enjoyable to read. I just like Poirot, though.
Nina Chatterjee
Inevitably drawn back to these books ... because as he says: "Human nature has an infinite capacity to surprise."
Flynt
Badly laid out book. The reader starts in the middle & then advances to Poirot's last twelve cases. Only on page 728(!) do you find the stories about the beginning of Poirot's career, the ones with background on how his time in Belgium & Hasting's military service. I certainly can't fault the writing, but the layout is hideous.
Gemma
Jan 02, 2013 Gemma rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: z2013
I actually managed to figure out 3 of these cases before it was revealed, so I felt pretty proud of myself (usually Agatha Christie always manages to fool me.) Granted, they were short stories and not full-length novels, but still!

Engrossing as always, and leaves you going, "Oh, of course!" when whodunit is revealed.
Arturo
this book has about 50 short stories and around 850 pages, i read around 20 of these stories since the beginning of this year and some are good and some are okay. it obviously varies, but since this is a book review not a chapter review i give it 5 stars.
Rickeclectic
Dec 14, 2008 Rickeclectic rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone who likes mysteries
Shelves: agatha-christie
The BEST of Agatha Christie. 50 of the Poirot stories. All short, all fun. Poirot is Christie's most interesting character (a prim little Belgian in London) and the stories are all well crafted. Great introduction to Agatha Christie.
Cecilia
May 12, 2011 Cecilia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: People who love mysteries or need a laugh
I absolutely love mysteries and Hercule Poirot is the best detective ever known. This collection of short stories is humorious and extremely entertaining. If you like humor or mysteries, you'll fall in love.
Magda
I think I don't like the stories about Poirot which are told from the viewpoint of Captain Hastings. I used to think I didn't like Poirot very much, but now I think it's more a dislike of Captain Hastings.
Lois
Nov 24, 2009 Lois added it
This is a large book, with a series of cases (stories). I am reading one case at a time, so it may take me a while to read the entire book, but that's okay, I will enjoy each story by itself.
Ruchel
I really do get spoiled by these short stories and then I want to know the endings more quickly when I read the books! But in all they are really fun brain twisters that keep you guessing.
Cameron
Agatha Christie was brilliant! I love these mysteries and I love how so many of Poirot's observations of human nature are still relevant today.
Linda
My in-between-books book. Some short stories, some longer. I found that a story that got made into a movie was embellished quite a bit.
Grace
Really a series of short stories for Mr. Poirot. It was good, but I didn't finish due to the length and wanting to read something else.
Ki
I love short stories. I love Hercule Poirot. I adore Dame Christie--the Queen of Crime. This book was just lovely for me.
Vickie
It was very good I especially liked the 12 comparisons of Hercules. Good book of short stories.
Zeeshan Ahmed
The little man Poirot's a genius, and this set of 'cases' only adds to that.
Cate
good classic, always a great read
Eusebiu
Eusebiu marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
oh lordy 1 3 Nov 18, 2013 07:25AM
  • The Rose and the Yew Tree
  • The Best of Mystery: 63 Short Stories Chosen by the Master of Suspense
  • The Scandal of Father Brown (Father Brown, #5)
  • The Mutiny on the Bounty Trilogy
  • Make Way for Lucia
  • The Breaking Point: Stories
  • The World of Jeeves
  • The Complete Works of O. Henry
  • Rudyard Kipling's Tales of Horror and Fantasy
  • The Collected Stories
  • A Wonder-Book for Girls and Boys
  • Death Notes (Inspector Wexford, #11)
  • A Curtain of Green and Other Stories
  • Selected Letters 1917-1961
  • St. Mawr & The Man Who Died
  • The Turn of The Screw and Other Short Novels
  • Agatha Christie: A Biography
  • Immortal Poems of the English Language

Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller was born in Torquay, Devon, England, U.K., as the youngest of three. The Millers had two other children: Margaret Frary Miller (1879–1950), called Madge, who was eleven years Agatha's senior, and Louis Montant Miller (1880...more
More about Agatha Christie...
And Then There Were None Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot, #17)