Start by marking “Hercule Poirot's Casebook (Hercule Poirot, #42)” as Want to Read:
Hercule Poirot's Casebook (Hercule Poirot, #42)

Hercule Poirot's Casebook (Hercule Poirot)

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  1,680 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Here, for the first time in one volume, is the complete collection of fifty stories about Hercule Poirot.

The shrewd little detective with the egg-shaped head and the enormous black mustaches was created by one of the great storytellers of the world. Only she could have devised the cases worthy of his skill, the ingenious mysteries that challenge the reader as well as the d
Published December 1st 1998 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Hercule Poirot's Casebook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hercule Poirot's Casebook

Courtney
From "Poirot Investigates"
1) The Adventure of "The Western Star"
2) The Tragedy at Marsdon Manor
14) The Chocolate Box

From "Dead Man's Mirror"
D.L. Morrese
May 07, 2012 D.L. Morrese rated it really liked it
My father loves these stories, and the last time we were at his place for a visit, he loaned a copy of this book to my son. He read it in a single sitting and loaned it to my other son. I finally got around to reading it and I can't honestly say why I liked it as much as I did. The the dialog is artificial, the characters are unbelievable, and the stories vary between predictable and unlikely. But I enjoyed each and every one of them. Maybe it's the character of Poirot, the pompous and prissy Be ...more
Nov 18, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
i love these short stories... nothing like a little mystery on a rainy night in bed
Larry Hostetler
Dec 15, 2012 Larry Hostetler rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
I don't know why I picked two 880 page books to read this year, but I did. The nice thing about this is that with 50 stories you need not worry about keeping track of the narrative. The further I got along in the reading the more I enjoyed Poirot. It is what you expect, which is both reassuring and (after 40 or more) a little too predictable. But well worth the time and effort.
Betül
Jan 06, 2017 Betül rated it it was amazing
At last!
Kyle
Dec 13, 2013 Kyle rated it it was ok
The detective stories depicting Agatha Christie's famed detective Poirot -- deifying "the little grey cells" and "order and method," even as he's a peculiar little guy spouting off a random selection of French asides -- show a strange British Francophilia. At the time Christie was creating Poirot, it was fashionable in England to sympathize with Belgium, as Germany's WWI invasion and occupation (Rape of Belgium, you know) was their casus belli. But that's far in the background; so aside from an ...more
Gretchen
Dec 18, 2016 Gretchen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Excellent compilation. Whether you know Hercules Poirot well, or whether you are just being introduced, this book is perfect. Of course, I had encountered some of the stories previously, but many were new and enjoyable. Even those I reread were fantastic.

Stories cover the span of Poirot's career, from early days with Hastings, to post-retirement. I wish they had been compiled in chronological order--my only critique.
Gloria
Jul 17, 2016 Gloria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone; detective; mystery stories; who done it?
I did not read the whole book, as I have read most of the stories in this book in other Agatha Christie books. I have included links to those other books, as indicated in this Casebook.

Poirot Investigates

Dead Man's Mirror

The Regatta Mystery and other Stories

The Labours of Hercules

Three Blind Mice
The Third Floor Flat
Mti Librarian
This is an excellent collection of all of Agatha Christie's short stories featuring her most famous character the Belgian (not French!) private detective Hercule Poirot. In about 2006 I started a challenge to read all of the books written by Agatha Christie. I just finished it in Sept of 2010 and found it very fascinating to discover the depth and breath of her writing. Incidentally, this is also a former library book that I had to pay for after dropping it into the bath tub, but it was worth ev ...more
Mehaboobmunna
Nov 20, 2013 Mehaboobmunna rated it really liked it
Review for two cases.

The Incredible Theft: Confidential papers of New theoretical bomber go missing in the middle of night! The engineer (though short sighted) seems to have seen someone slip from his study window, His friend who has perfect eyesight says contrary. Presence of woman whose image is more known as a spy gets things complicated! Poirot is called to solve the case.

Murder in the Mews: Japp and Poirot are having a walk, while crackers ho loud. Both chat on how easy it'd be to shoot so
Dharia Scarab
Mar 03, 2014 Dharia Scarab rated it liked it

4 sta
Dadoo
Nov 06, 2008 Dadoo rated it it was ok
Ah mon ami it is possible to dull the little grey cells with an overdose of the dapper Belgian with the moustache exquisite, no? Oui!
This book is a large, did I say very large sampling of Hercule Poirot short stories and in the beginning Dame Christie made Captain Hastings aka the Straight Man but as one progresses he disappears and we have a valet and a chauffeur appearing and in the latter stages good old Miss Lemon and many of the stories are written in third person impersonal which is not
Brent Soderstrum
Feb 06, 2016 Brent Soderstrum rated it liked it
This book contains 50 short stories involving Hercule Poirot by Agatha Christie. I had previously read the stories from Poirot Investigates; Murder in the Mews; Labors of Hercules; and the Under Dog. This left 12 short stories that I had not read previously.

As with most of Christie's novels some were incredibly well plotted with stunning endings, while others were finished with unbelievable endings. I am also not a big fan of short stories. It is a book about Hercule however and it does contain
Lenny
Apr 02, 2016 Lenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
It's Agatha Christie! it's hard to hate any of her stories when it's simple delight either to get me off reading slump or serve as light entertainment during difficult days. Got to love her Poirot; these stories are short and sweet, but I do have my favourites! which are 'Problem at Sea' and 'murder in the Mews'. The former because how the murderer covered up his tracks was creepy. The latter because I like seeing the good Inspector Japp featured in stories.
Trish
Sep 27, 2015 Trish rated it it was amazing
Ahhh, Hercule! It was wonderful rereading all your cases again in this compilation volume of your short stories. Nothing really compares to your full-up novels, but my favorite short stories were there, especially the Christmas Ruby, which I've always enjoyed. It took me a few months to get through this one again, but it's still fun to pick it up and slowly work my way through it a couple of short stories at a time.
RachelAnne
Aug 20, 2010 RachelAnne rated it really liked it
I love Hercule Poirot and the little grey cells in his egg-shaped head. How I wish I had his understanding of "method" and "the psychology." There are other mystery authors I enjoy immensely, but there is simply no one who can approach Agatha Christie in her combination of prolific output while maintaining decent quality and cozy charm, let alone that glorious period ambience one gets from her books. If only she weren't dead!
Beth
Jan 25, 2008 Beth rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008
A collection of collections of short stories
800+ pages
From an amazon review:
_Poirot Investigates_ (14 stories, all 1923)
_Dead Man's Mirror_ (4)
_The Regatta Mystery_ (5 Poirot stories out of a larger collection; throughout the 1930s)
_The Labours of Hercules_ (including the Foreword)
_Three Blind Mice_ (3 Poirot stories out of a larger collection)
_The Under Dog_ (8, all but "The Submarine Plans"; most 1923, one 1926)
_Double Sin_ (4; 1923 and 1928)
Jan 06, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: sold-back-to-hpb
Lots of Poirot. Not too much Hastings, thankfully.

I'd already noticed that 'ol Agatha liked to...revisit certain methods of murder, certain plots while watching the first and second seasons of PBS' Poirot series. Having slogged through some 800 pages of her stuff, I realize she was not terribly keen on straying far from the tried and true. That's not always a bad thing, but after a while the repetition really starts to wear on a reader.
Flynt
Sep 07, 2010 Flynt rated it liked it
Badly laid out book. The reader starts in the middle & then advances to Poirot's last twelve cases. Only on page 728(!) do you find the stories about the beginning of Poirot's career, the ones with background on how his time in Belgium & Hasting's military service. I certainly can't fault the writing, but the layout is hideous.
Gemma
Jan 02, 2013 Gemma rated it really liked it
Shelves: z2013
I actually managed to figure out 3 of these cases before it was revealed, so I felt pretty proud of myself (usually Agatha Christie always manages to fool me.) Granted, they were short stories and not full-length novels, but still!

Engrossing as always, and leaves you going, "Oh, of course!" when whodunit is revealed.
DeAnna Knippling
Nov 28, 2011 DeAnna Knippling rated it really liked it
Fifty Poirot stories...

I'm finally getting to the point where I can tell her better short stories apart; some of these gave a lot of clues during the solution. "What? Why didn't you tell me this earlier?" Like the conclusion of an essay, the solution of a mystery may not provide new information. Nyaa.

But, on the whole--enjoyable to read. I just like Poirot, though.
Arturo
Jun 21, 2012 Arturo rated it it was amazing
this book has about 50 short stories and around 850 pages, i read around 20 of these stories since the beginning of this year and some are good and some are okay. it obviously varies, but since this is a book review not a chapter review i give it 5 stars.
Rickeclectic
Dec 14, 2008 Rickeclectic rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes mysteries
Shelves: agatha-christie
The BEST of Agatha Christie. 50 of the Poirot stories. All short, all fun. Poirot is Christie's most interesting character (a prim little Belgian in London) and the stories are all well crafted. Great introduction to Agatha Christie.
Cecilia
May 12, 2011 Cecilia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love mysteries or need a laugh
I absolutely love mysteries and Hercule Poirot is the best detective ever known. This collection of short stories is humorious and extremely entertaining. If you like humor or mysteries, you'll fall in love.
Magda
Jul 05, 2012 Magda rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I think I don't like the stories about Poirot which are told from the viewpoint of Captain Hastings. I used to think I didn't like Poirot very much, but now I think it's more a dislike of Captain Hastings.
Chris Eirschele
Jul 07, 2014 Chris Eirschele rated it it was amazing
I have read Hercule Poirot's Casebook before. If you are a fan of the Poirot mysteries in movie form, you will like to read this compilation of Agatha Christie stories. The book is a mixture of long and short stories.
Linda
Nov 18, 2012 Linda rated it liked it
My in-between-books book. Some short stories, some longer. I found that a story that got made into a movie was embellished quite a bit.
Lois
Nov 24, 2009 Lois added it
This is a large book, with a series of cases (stories). I am reading one case at a time, so it may take me a while to read the entire book, but that's okay, I will enjoy each story by itself.
Trish
Aug 23, 2016 Trish rated it it was amazing
Excellent mysteries solved by Hercule Poirot - one of my favorite characters. This book is 875 pages, but it is made up of dozens of short complete stories you can read at one sitting.
Max
Jul 27, 2014 Max rated it liked it
Not Christie's best, but if you love Poirot (and I very much do), this is a nice big fun collection.
Poirot Aka David Suchet 1 5 Apr 28, 2015 09:16AM
oh lordy 1 6 Nov 18, 2013 07:25AM
  • The World of the Short Story: A Twentieth Century Collection
  • Great Detectives: A Century of the Best Mysteries from England and America
  • Jeeves, Jeeves, Jeeves
  • Don't Open This Book
  • The Best of Mystery: 63 Short Stories Chosen by the Master of Suspense
  • The Scandal of Father Brown (Father Brown, #5)
  • The Art of Fact: A Historical Anthology of Literary Journalism
  • Agatha Christie and the Eleven Missing Days
  • Make Way for Lucia
  • Rabbit is Rich; Rabbit Redux; Rabbit, Run
  • The Complete Short Stories: Volume 1

More about Agatha Christie...

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)