Start by marking “The Calvary Road” as Want to Read:
The Calvary Road

The Calvary Road

This is an updated edition of a book written by Missionary and evangelist Roy Hession in 1950 in which he profiles the nature of religious revival and lays out the prerequisites and consequences of the activity of God in the heart of the hungry seeker. (Larger Print)
Published September 1st 2004 by CLC Ministries (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about The Calvary Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Calvary Road

Twilight by Stephenie MeyerFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie Meyer
Most Overrated Books
269th out of 528 books — 589 voters
The Systems View of Life by Fritjof CapraThe Ecological Rift by John Bellamy FosterThe Art of Startup Fundraising by Alejandro CremadesThe World At Large by Adam E. MehaffeyBe The Best You Can Be by Michael B
Most inspiring Nonfiction
210th out of 379 books — 412 voters

More lists with this book...

Zachary McIntire
Jul 14, 2016 Zachary McIntire rated it it was amazing
Honestly, this is a book every Christian should read. It's not long, and even if you have only a few minutes a day to read, the chapters are self-contained, and fairly short as well. I recently went through it in a Bible study, and was reminded to review it after doing a review of "True Discipleship" by William MacDonald (another good book with a similar theme).

Many Christians pray for revival in the Church, and so we should. What I think we tend to forget is that, in the words of the old song,
Oct 28, 2011 Megan rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a powerful book! The Calvary Road developed from a series of brief paper/pamphlets that Roy and Revel Hession produced about the Message of Revival. God truly worked through the papers as they were originally printed and distributed as individual messages, so eventually they combined some of these messages into this publication. They recommend reading it a chapter at a time as that was how it was originally written and published. I think each chapter is so powerful that readers would b ...more
Valerie Kyriosity
Jan 01, 2016 Valerie Kyriosity rated it really liked it
This was along the same lines as Continuous Revival in terms of content, but I found it less objectionable and more helpful.

Between these two books and a Voddie Baucham sermon and one or two other things it seems I've read or heard but can't think of off the top of my head, the theme of brokenness has been repeating itself in recent weeks. I don't think any of these sources has gotten it quite right, but they've obviously been conspiring to get me to think about it, and I'm happy to oblige. Her
Aug 19, 2013 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-life
I have wanted to read The Calvary Road for years, having heard it recommended often, so I was surprised when initially I struggled. The early chapters seemed to fall into a familiar trap – the gospel was taken for granted as the basis for everything that was said, but never directly addressed. As a consequence, I felt the burden of all that I was being called to “do” without having been reminded of all the Jesus as already “done” for me to make it all possible. Being called to a life of holiness ...more
Amanda Tero
Jun 15, 2015 Amanda Tero rated it it was amazing
This ten-chapter devotional is powerful, leading the Christian to ponder their walk with the Lord. I could fill a whole review full of amazing quotes...but it is just worthwhile to read the whole book.

There was one main thing I didn't agree with how he worded, and that was his analogy of the dove and the Holy Spirit. I think that if you view the analogy as the dove being the PEACE of the Holy Spirit, it makes more sense, seems more in line with the Bible.
Jan 13, 2011 Konstantin rated it it was amazing
I would recommend this book to anyone. The only thing that bothered me (and BARELY bothered me) is that the focus is entirely on being a bond-servant of Christ, which is true, but the author neglects the truth of also being sons and daughters of God. The relationship part is missing. But, seriously. Five stars. Megan
Roy Samuel
Oct 15, 2016 Roy Samuel rated it it was amazing
The emphasis is on Brokenness and the laying down of the self life.
The fact that personal revival is hindered by sin is brought out strongly.

I especially like the point made to constantly press on in repentance, and moving on, each time we fall.

Fellowship of like minded people living in the light (being real and open), spreads revival.

This book is also available with the name: 'The way of the cross in India. The church that I go to emphasises this strongly. (
Oct 24, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
This is an excellent book about experiencing revival as a Christian. He painted great pictures on what traveling on The Calvary Road looks like. He also really helped me see why there is a separation between God & us when sins enter, but we're not humble enough to repent yet. When there is a strong relationship between you and God, peace & joy will overflow in you and into others too as you experience continual cleansing. It is not an easy read even though the font is so big and the book ...more
Angie Tolpin
Feb 11, 2015 Angie Tolpin rated it really liked it
This is one of my all time favorite books. It receives a four star review because I wish it were longer. I have read and re-read this classic book on the Christian life multiple times in the past 13 years and find it to be an essential read for any Christ follower.

Some of the most significant points in this book discuss and point out the intrinsic correlation between our human ability to be transparent with our brother or sister in Christ and our selves, and ultimately our Lord. Hession, points
Sep 03, 2016 Staci rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
This is the third or fourth time I've read this little book. When I feel myself heading 'off' into living this Christian life for myself and in my own strength, I need to go back to this book (or a couple other gems) to be re-grounded in truth. The challenge is to call sin, 'sin' - and he particularly points out the sins of reaction to others' actions. In our confession and brokenness, we experience Christ's cleansing and filling ('Revival'). This is Christ's life, daily offered for us.
Sep 05, 2009 Eunice rated it it was amazing
I read it a few years ago, and I read it again this summer. Every time I read it, I am just so marvelled at how sinful, weak and easily fallible I am. Yet, God's grace is enough to sustain me, lift me up, and cover me even my hurts and sinfulness.

Calvary Road. The road Jeesus walked to pay the debt of my sins. The road I need to walk, following the footsteps of Jesus. The road I will never walk alone because I will be in constant fellowship with Jesus and fellow Christians, heading to Jerusalem,
Brent McCulley
Nov 29, 2013 Brent McCulley rated it it was ok
Shelves: christian-living
This book didn't do much for me quite frankly, and to be honest, the exhortations seemed more like the "Jesus Movement" rhetoric of the 70s about the "power of revival" etc.

Moreover, the thesis doesn't really scratch beyond whatever surface level reflections a fourth grader is taught in Sunday school. If you want a more sufficient and theologically convicting exhortation back to the cross, put down this book and pick up Dietrich Bonhoeffer's The Cost of Discipleship.

Brent McCulley
Maryln Rose
Aug 17, 2012 Maryln Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me 4 years ago. When I read it I was deeply convicted and knew others would be also. I began (with the go ahead of my Pastor) a weekly Bible Study on this book. It made an impact on all 6 of us. Now, after a while I feel led to begin another study this Fall. Dying to self is never easy but it's what we have to do in order to do God's will in our lives. Appreciate this book very much.
Feb 15, 2010 Sean rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christians
Recommended to Sean by: Tommy Batson
Shelves: christianity
Hession's book, The Calvary Road is truly life-changing. Christians who feel as though they are missing something may find a small piece of it here. While I do not believe Hession's perspective on revival to be the complete summation of Christianity, his thoughts on service and brokenness are greatly needed among God's people today.

I recommend this book to Christians of all walks in life. If you know the name of Jesus, this look at His calling on your life should be eye-opening.
Gary B
Oct 14, 2013 Gary B rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
Very good. There was some good, clear teaching in this book about our nature and how we can, do and should respond to God. The chapter on how we relate to others was challenging and helpful; and the image that the Hession's draw about the highway and the role of the cross and the purpose of the blood of Jesus was equally helpful. I'm not sure that their emphasis on the blood of Jesus isn't overdone.
Franklin Tait
May 31, 2012 Franklin Tait rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I read this as a young believer. I don't want to pretend that I understood, by experience, all that he was trying to say, but he pointed me toward the truth that following Christ means dying to self and letting Christ be formed in me. It means humility and sub-mission to Christ and his mission. It means that Christ is the center of my life, and not me. It was a very powerful book for me and its message continues to be as pertinent to me today as it was then.
Jeromy Peacock
Feb 15, 2016 Jeromy Peacock rated it really liked it
A short book but very good. This book really speaks to me where I am at in my life right now. A great view on brokenness, repentance, and Jesus. If you need to get downwind of yourself (and you do) read this book because it will encourage and rebuke you at the same time.

5 stars = Yearly re-read
4 stars = Re-read eventually
3 stars = Very Good
2 stars = OK
1 stars = Pass on this one.
0 stars = Couldn't finish it.
Aug 26, 2016 Tyler rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great little book about personal revival. I have heard great things about it, and I know it has had a great impact. I was not personally overwhelmed by it, but the message is absolutely solid. Christianity is a life of ready repentance, being willing to confess sin when we see it and allow Christ to cover it. This of course is applicable to everyone. I wish it had gone more into life after being broken by the cross, but that was not its purpose.
Crossroads Ecc
Excerpt from Chip Ingram's thoughts: "Genuine discipleship means you go to the cross and you die. Not sort of dies, not die to 90 percent of your agenda, but completely die. You say, “Lord, it’s not my money, my time, my dreams, my family, my career…it’s all yours.” You lay it all on the altar, no matter how scary that is, because God is good and generous and will give back whatever he wants you to have. Resurrection power won’t come into your life until you become a living sacrifice."
Elaine Graziano
Apr 04, 2015 Elaine Graziano rated it it was amazing
The Title Says It All
By ErbyJones55 - November 9, 2013
I have never found a book, other than the Bible, to convict me as much as this little book has. If you want to see God work in your church give the powerful book to your friends. One of our Sunday School classes read and discussed what God was saying to them through The Calvary Road. Want to see revival? True repentance? Humility? Forgiveness? Love among the fellowship? Every page is loaded and powerful.
All I have to say is, Who then is willing to count the cost and to consencrate themselves to The Lord this day? If so, led by The Spirit, this book will usher you into The Holy of Holies, Gods Presence, once awakened and thus then applied! This should be in every true believers collection of resources.
Feb 20, 2012 Sandy rated it it was amazing
Impactful. Every Christian needs to read this book. In fact, I should read it again. It's been over ten years since I read it, but I remember it well as I think of it now. Humbling yourself and kneeling to crawl through the small door to the foot of the cross. Great imagery in this book and beautifully written.
Aug 05, 2016 Seth rated it it was amazing
This was a very good book!! It made me realize some things that if I implement them, will change my Christian life!! It is so simple to live the Christian life the way God desires but also so difficult because we have a flesh. I recommend that all who want to live Godly in Christ Jesus, and go beyond the norm get this book and read it.
Nov 30, 2015 Becca rated it it was amazing
What a deep book, if you don't have to read each chapter at least twice to get all of the meat out you are reading it wrong! This book can change your life if you just apply the principles taught here.
Zi Yao
Aug 08, 2012 Zi Yao rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a powerful book! A tiny but profound book to read! I read it 5 years ago, but i can still remember few powerful messages of it. I remembered i was stuck on the first few chapters for a long long time before i could read on. It opened up my understanding of Christianity and God.
Aug 04, 2014 Rebecca rated it liked it
It's good but if your head/heart aren't in the right place, it won't click. I read it as part of a group and enjoyed our discussions. To me the bottom line is that we daily need to refocus ourselves on our priorities and actions. Is it drawing be closer to Christ or away from Christ.
Kris Furtaw
Jun 04, 2013 Kris Furtaw rated it really liked it
Powerful and eloquent. A good read to re direct our selfish sin nature and remind us of how we are to walk in love- being faithful in the little things especially kindness will bring us closer to God and closer to our Christian brothers and sisters.
Gary Webb
Jul 28, 2012 Gary Webb rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young Christians
A very simple guide to personal revival. Easy enough for a child; deep enough for mature believers. A free copy is on my website: See also his follow-up book: We Would See Jesus.
Stephanie Jensen
This book is one of my favorites. I read this book about 6 years ago and again this summer, and both times I felt conviction for my apathy and sinfulness but also hope that God is lovingly waiting for me to bend my neck and knees and repent so that He might revive my spirit.
Aug 05, 2014 Abigail rated it it was amazing
This book was our required reading for staff at camp this year. It was a really good book. One quote in the book that stuck out to me was this. " A 'C' is a bent 'I'. This is an amazing book that I recommend reading. AND if you have a kindle it's free for download on amazon! :)
  • Waiting on God
  • Done.: What most religions don't tell you about the Bible
  • Holiness Truth and Presence of
  • The Disciplined Life: The Mark of Christian Maturity
  • The Only Necessary Thing: Living a Prayerful Life
Roy Hession (1908–1992) was a British evangelist and author.
More about Roy Hession...

“The Lord Jesus cannot live in us fully and reveal Himself through us until the proud self within us is broken. This” 3 likes
“Revival is just the life of the Lord Jesus poured into human hearts. Jesus” 2 likes