The Calvary Road

The Calvary Road

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  381 ratings  ·  52 reviews
This is an updated edition of a book written by Missionary and evangelist Roy Hession in 1950 in which he profiles the nature of religious revival and lays out the prerequisites and consequences of the activity of God in the heart of the hungry seeker. (Larger Print)
Published September 1st 2004 by CLC Ministries (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about The Calvary Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Calvary Road

Twilight by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie MeyerThe Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
Most Overrated Books
224th out of 365 books — 450 voters
Be The Best You Can Be by Michael BThe Jetstream of Success by Julian PencilliahThe Last Lecture by Randy PauschThree Cups of Tea by Greg MortensonForever, Christian by Tina Traverse
Most inspiring Nonfiction
139th out of 273 books — 283 voters

More lists with this book...

Megan
Wow! What a powerful book! The Calvary Road developed from a series of brief paper/pamphlets that Roy and Revel Hession produced about the Message of Revival. God truly worked through the papers as they were originally printed and distributed as individual messages, so eventually they combined some of these messages into this publication. They recommend reading it a chapter at a time as that was how it was originally written and published. I think each chapter is so powerful that readers would b...more
Konstantin
I would recommend this book to anyone. The only thing that bothered me (and BARELY bothered me) is that the focus is entirely on being a bond-servant of Christ, which is true, but the author neglects the truth of also being sons and daughters of God. The relationship part is missing. But, seriously. Five stars. Megan
Bill
I have wanted to read The Calvary Road for years, having heard it recommended often, so I was surprised when initially I struggled. The early chapters seemed to fall into a familiar trap – the gospel was taken for granted as the basis for everything that was said, but never directly addressed. As a consequence, I felt the burden of all that I was being called to “do” without having been reminded of all the Jesus as already “done” for me to make it all possible. Being called to a life of holiness...more
This is an excellent book about experiencing revival as a Christian. He painted great pictures on what traveling on The Calvary Road looks like. He also really helped me see why there is a separation between God & us when sins enter, but we're not humble enough to repent yet. When there is a strong relationship between you and God, peace & joy will overflow in you and into others too as you experience continual cleansing. It is not an easy read even though the font is so big and the book...more
Angie Tolpin
This is one of my all time favorite books. It receives a four star review because I wish it were longer. I have read and re-read this classic book on the Christian life multiple times in the past 13 years and find it to be an essential read for any Christ follower.

Some of the most significant points in this book discuss and point out the intrinsic correlation between our human ability to be transparent with our brother or sister in Christ and our selves, and ultimately our Lord. Hession, points...more
Stephanie Jensen
This book is one of my favorites. I read this book about 6 years ago and again this summer, and both times I felt conviction for my apathy and sinfulness but also hope that God is lovingly waiting for me to bend my neck and knees and repent so that He might revive my spirit.
Amelia Delrio
This is a book to read more than once. It will speak to you and change your heart toward our great God. A good devotional.
E-reader
A cut-to-the-heart reexamination of normal, everyday discipleship that demands brutal honesty about the condition of hearts.
Eunice
I read it a few years ago, and I read it again this summer. Every time I read it, I am just so marvelled at how sinful, weak and easily fallible I am. Yet, God's grace is enough to sustain me, lift me up, and cover me even my hurts and sinfulness.

Calvary Road. The road Jeesus walked to pay the debt of my sins. The road I need to walk, following the footsteps of Jesus. The road I will never walk alone because I will be in constant fellowship with Jesus and fellow Christians, heading to Jerusalem,...more
Brent McCulley
This book didn't do much for me quite frankly, and to be honest, the exhortations seemed more like the "Jesus Movement" rhetoric of the 70s about the "power of revival" etc.

Moreover, the thesis doesn't really scratch beyond whatever surface level reflections a fourth grader is taught in Sunday school. If you want a more sufficient and theologically convicting exhortation back to the cross, put down this book and pick up Dietrich Bonhoeffer's The Cost of Discipleship.

Brent McCulley
Sean
Feb 15, 2010 Sean rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christians
Recommended to Sean by: Tommy Batson
Shelves: christianity
Hession's book, The Calvary Road is truly life-changing. Christians who feel as though they are missing something may find a small piece of it here. While I do not believe Hession's perspective on revival to be the complete summation of Christianity, his thoughts on service and brokenness are greatly needed among God's people today.

I recommend this book to Christians of all walks in life. If you know the name of Jesus, this look at His calling on your life should be eye-opening.
Crossroads Ecc
Excerpt from Chip Ingram's thoughts: "Genuine discipleship means you go to the cross and you die. Not sort of dies, not die to 90 percent of your agenda, but completely die. You say, “Lord, it’s not my money, my time, my dreams, my family, my career…it’s all yours.” You lay it all on the altar, no matter how scary that is, because God is good and generous and will give back whatever he wants you to have. Resurrection power won’t come into your life until you become a living sacrifice."
Franklin Tait
I read this as a young believer. I don't want to pretend that I understood, by experience, all that he was trying to say, but he pointed me toward the truth that following Christ means dying to self and letting Christ be formed in me. It means humility and sub-mission to Christ and his mission. It means that Christ is the center of my life, and not me. It was a very powerful book for me and its message continues to be as pertinent to me today as it was then.
Maryln Rose
This book was recommended to me 4 years ago. When I read it I was deeply convicted and knew others would be also. I began (with the go ahead of my Pastor) a weekly Bible Study on this book. It made an impact on all 6 of us. Now, after a while I feel led to begin another study this Fall. Dying to self is never easy but it's what we have to do in order to do God's will in our lives. Appreciate this book very much.
Gary B
Very good. There was some good, clear teaching in this book about our nature and how we can, do and should respond to God. The chapter on how we relate to others was challenging and helpful; and the image that the Hession's draw about the highway and the role of the cross and the purpose of the blood of Jesus was equally helpful. I'm not sure that their emphasis on the blood of Jesus isn't overdone.
Sandy
Impactful. Every Christian needs to read this book. In fact, I should read it again. It's been over ten years since I read it, but I remember it well as I think of it now. Humbling yourself and kneeling to crawl through the small door to the foot of the cross. Great imagery in this book and beautifully written.
Michele
All I have to say is, Who then is willing to count the cost and to consencrate themselves to The Lord this day? If so, led by The Spirit, this book will usher you into The Holy of Holies, Gods Presence, once awakened and thus then applied! This should be in every true believers collection of resources.
Rebecca
It's good but if your head/heart aren't in the right place, it won't click. I read it as part of a group and enjoyed our discussions. To me the bottom line is that we daily need to refocus ourselves on our priorities and actions. Is it drawing be closer to Christ or away from Christ.
Zi Yao
Wow! What a powerful book! A tiny but profound book to read! I read it 5 years ago, but i can still remember few powerful messages of it. I remembered i was stuck on the first few chapters for a long long time before i could read on. It opened up my understanding of Christianity and God.
Abigail
This book was our required reading for staff at camp this year. It was a really good book. One quote in the book that stuck out to me was this. " A 'C' is a bent 'I'. This is an amazing book that I recommend reading. AND if you have a kindle it's free for download on amazon! :)
Jeromy Peacock
A short book but very good. This book really speaks to me where I am at in my life right now. A great view on brokenness, repentance, and Jesus. If you need to get downwind of yourself (and you do) read this book because it will encourage and rebuke you at the same time.
Kris Furtaw
Powerful and eloquent. A good read to re direct our selfish sin nature and remind us of how we are to walk in love- being faithful in the little things especially kindness will bring us closer to God and closer to our Christian brothers and sisters.
Melinda Weer
This is a foundational book for understanding how to serve our Lord.
Eli
This book is good, but I think Hession has a better one: "We Would See Jesus". If you liked this one, don't hesitate to get his other. In it "We Would See Jesus", Hession confesses that he has since seen the issues more clearly than in "Calvary Road".
Jennifer Trombetta
Amazing book! Read this and just finished reading it again. Very insightful and beautiful, to say the least. This short read packs a powerful punch on Our gracious God, our Beloved Jesus, the road to and of brokeness and what true REVIVAL is!
Gary Webb
Jul 28, 2012 Gary Webb rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young Christians
A very simple guide to personal revival. Easy enough for a child; deep enough for mature believers. A free copy is on my website: www.disciplesindeed.net. See also his follow-up book: We Would See Jesus.
Keith
Excellent book. A must read for all Christians... Broken down into 10 quick reading chapters. Could read a chapter each day or sit down on a rainy Saturday and finish the entire book in an afternoon.
Cheryl Yennie
Without any doubt my new Favorite devotion. I am so convicted and filled with Joy for He has revealed truth in such a simple and wonderful way. Best 100 pages you can read!
Allen
A classic among evangelicals! I found it uplifting and edifying, though I cannot give it the "essential" tag that it was labeled as by the one that recommended it to me.
Katie
The Calvary Road was quite a good read! It is not extremely long, but has very thought-provoking and challenging. Highly recommended and one I will come back to read again.
  • Waiting on God
  • Release of the Spirit: The Breaking of the Outward Man for
  • Life Together and Prayerbook of the Bible (Works, Vol 5)
  • The Mark of the Christian
  • Improving Your Serve: The Art of Unselfish Living
  • The Only Necessary Thing: Living a Prayerful Life
  • The Mystery of Providence (Puritan Paperbacks)
  • Strengthen Yourself in the Lord: How to Release the Hidden Power of God in Your Life
  • The Grace and Truth Paradox: Responding with Christlike Balance
  • The Overcoming Life
  • Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret
  • All of Grace [With CD]
  • The Pursuit of Man: The Divine Conquest of the Human Heart
We Would See Jesus: Discovering God's Provision for You in Christ Be Filled Now: The Holy Spirit's Role in Helping Christians Attain Spiritual Maturity When I Saw Him: Where Revival Begins Forgotten Factors My Calvary Road

“While we are in that condition of darkness, we cannot have true fellowship with our brother either--for we are not real with him, and no one can have fellowship with an unreal person.” 0 likes