Start by marking “Do As I Say (Not As I Do): Profiles in Liberal Hypocrisy” as Want to Read:
Do As I Say (Not As I Do): Profiles in Liberal Hypocrisy

Do As I Say (Not As I Do): Profiles in Liberal Hypocrisy

“I don’t own a single share of stock.” —Michael Moore

Members of the liberal left exude an air of moral certitude. They pride themselves on being selflessly committed to the highest ideals and seem particularly confident of the purity of their motives and the evil nature of their opponents. To correct economic and social injustice, liberals support a whole litany of policie
Published October 10th 2006 by Anchor (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Do As I Say (Not As I Do), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do As I Say (Not As I Do)

Meg - A Bookish Affair
This book was very short and covered a few people that conservatives love to hate. I liked some of the profiles but was very turned off by the way the author chose to forgive some conservatives who behaved badly. Excuses are never a good thing.
Carlton
Sep 26, 2007 Carlton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This book got me thinking. Someone smarter than me wrote:

"Democrats, as a general rule, oppose giving the people any choice in matters -- unless the matter involves sex. It seemed like a good observation -- they don't think we can choose whether or not to wear seat belts, get health insurance, serve in the military (note that the biggest -- and nearly only -- proponents for reinstating the draft are Democrats), give more money to the government, or a host of other examples. It's only in matters
Terry Cornell
A quick read. Shows examples of prominent liberals who preach liberal policies, but fail to live them. In fact, their personal lives seem to line up with conservative values. Well documented.
John Martindale
Nov 05, 2014 John Martindale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics, audiobook
These famous liberals sure have done an impressive job of being seen by their admirers as virtuous and above reproach. These fortunate souls were gifted with a big platform where they could loudly condemn consumerism, America, big business, the rich, capitalism, etc... and there by doing so gain so much fame, wealth and power. There guilt ridden liberal audience longs to hear it all, they lap it all up like a dog with a ravenous thirst. I suppose this is because they are taught in school, by med ...more
Kimball
I found this pretty informative. I have added more people to My Hate List now. On another note though, the author was so very diligent in pointing fingers back at those pointing fingers that it just ends up in a mud fight. And like my Sweet Wife always tells me: When you play in the mud with the Pig you both get dirty, except the Pig loves it. I thought the ending was pretty good and a nice summed up conclusion. Fortunately most or all of the people that were depicted in this book will be dead ...more
Barbara
Aug 31, 2011 Barbara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
It's always amusing when self-righteous hypocrites are exposed for being exactly that. The Religious Right has taken a pounding from liberals for the sins of Jimmy Swaggart, Jim Bakker, and Ted Haggard. The problem is, when you condemn someone for their actions, you shouldn't be doing those same things yourself. That makes you a hypocrite.

Schweitzer's book exposes the hypocrisy of self-described liberals such as Michael Moore, Barbra Streisand, Nancy Pelosi, Al Franken, Noam Chomsky and, of cou
Sean
Dec 11, 2015 Sean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think everyone is a hypocrite to some degree but what made this book an enjoyable read was the people Schweizer chose to profile are all incredibly self righteous and arrogant. So to see someone dismantle a fraud like Michael Moore or Noam Chomsky while doing it in a way that is well researched and honest is refreshing as these people are often shown in the media as these beacons of goodness and catalysts for positive change when in fact they are basically just scam artists that prey on people ...more
Rebecca
Mar 09, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference-books
A great, well-researched book, with footnotes all over the place so you can look up the facts individually if you need them. It's an entertaining read, and though it was written by a conservative and will mostly be read by a conservative audience, moderates and liberals willing to be challenged about their heroes would do well to give it a try too. It's not an attack on their beliefs themselves, but on the way these liberal "icons" fail to live up to their own beliefs. It's ammunition for those ...more
Dr.J.G.
Feb 05, 2016 Dr.J.G. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Seems to consist mostly of pointing fingers at various public figures that are not republican, and saying "look who has stock (or money or property)".

The said figures are the targets because they dare to speak in a different voice on behalf of what might be good for the people who are not major stockholders or property owners, and the danger is it might come to pass if more people heard this.

It might not be possible to have another affairgate, and some way of throwing sand about to create a st
Don Weidinger
Dec 22, 2012 Don Weidinger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ppld.org: Using publicly-available real estate records, IRS returns, court depositions, and their own published statements, he sought to examine whether they lived by the principles they so forcefully advocate. What he found was a long list of contradictions. Many of these proponents of organized labor had developed various methods to sidestep paying union wages or avoid employing unions altogether. They were also adept at avoiding taxes; invested heavily in corporations they had denounced; took ...more
Joe Paulk
Apr 02, 2008 Joe Paulk rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Catching a hypocrite is always fun and is especially satisfying if one views themselves as progressive. I found this book satisfying. The section on Michael Moore, supported by research, was completely compelling. I'm beginning to realize that most high profile individuals, regardless of affiliation, lack the character and convictions to actually be different and have ideals. "Do As I Say" helped call out liberals lip service for what it really is....rubbish. It is rubbish that is just as smelly ...more
Nick
Jun 09, 2010 Nick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: political
Boy, was this interesting...

My wife picked it up for me and thought it would be a good romp through ye old Liberal Washington. What it turned out to be was one of the most over-the-top, one-sided, and entertaining books I have read in a while.

Once you distill the b.s. from the facts you can have a better appreciation for this book. Some of the facts were absolutely dumbfounding--which I did verify through independent research.
dejah_thoris
No idea how this ended up on my reading list, but I'm glad it did! It presented a very eye-opening examination of the professional lives of some outspoken liberal leaders. Short chapters on each individual make for quick reading and start with a summary of their convictions followed by an examination of how they manipulate their portfolio or run their business(es). Easy accessible reading for any layperson, and definitely information worth sharing.
Hailey
Sep 22, 2007 Hailey rated it did not like it
For someone as clueless as I am about politics, this book was a wonderfully enjoyable and frustrating read. I couldn't wrap my head around the dichotomy between the action and speech of some of these people. The information was presented in a very easy, understandable manner but the topic? Ugh. These people are both infuriating and baffling.

Edit: OH GOD. WHO LET ME READ THIS BOOK. WHY DIDN'T ANYONE SAVE ME FROM THIS SOONER?
Terry
Aug 01, 2009 Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was fascintating. Of course, it has its share of conservative hyperbole which, in my opinion, does a disseservice to the conservative principles, however, it clearly points out the incredible hypocrisy that the elistist liberal establishment continue to demonstrate. I highly recommend the book.
Jonathon
While I was amazed a the lack of consistency in the lives of the people that Mr. Schweizer presented, the book left me with a feeling of hopelessness that didn't seem to be solved in the book...the biggest question I was left with was, "So now what??? We now know, so what do we as ordinary Americans do about it?"
Tony
Jun 19, 2009 Tony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The only thing wrong with this book is there is no chapter on Al Gore.
It is amazing to me that these individuals have no problem preaching a certain idealistic way of life that they have no intention of following themselves. That the mainstream media allows them to get away with it is even more disturbing than there behavior.
Sage Streck
Aug 11, 2011 Sage Streck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Complete examination of the hypocrisy of many big-name liberals. Very interesting reading. It's too bad more people don't know many of the facts Schweizer uncovers here. Another must-read for any conservative!
Amy
Nov 27, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was awesome. The people in this book have done a lot to tear our great nation apart, and it was refreshing to have someone shed light on their absolute hypocrisy. Have someone you know who is a Michael Moore fan? Hand them this book.
Jeff Raymond
I had higher hopes for this one than were realized. Sure, the information about the massive hypocrisy amongst some of the more vocal liberals was more than useful, but it works better as a reference guide than a book, and I ended up skimming a lot of the people I didn't care much about.
Nick
Jan 12, 2009 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really interesting. Just goes to show that actions speak louder than words. In all fairness, though, I'd like to see the flip side of the coin demonstrating how some choice conservatives are equally hypocritical.
Larry Koester
Oct 08, 2015 Larry Koester rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read this book for some political insight, but got political spin or is it more like politicking attack to the other side instead. Hypocrisy is almost universal. We are all guilty of it. I just want more political understanding toward the next elections. Too many of these books fail badly.
Foxglove
Both sides are hypocrites. Exploring both sides would have been a better book, but it was a fun rag.
Jim Bouchard
Dec 31, 2010 Jim Bouchard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eye opening...no- eye exploding! The best thing is, this is simply a study of some of our most colorful and visible American voices in their own words.
Erik
May 18, 2008 Erik rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A look at the contradictions between the words and actions of Noam Chomsky, Michael Moore, Al Franken, Ted Kennedy, etc.

Jenn De
Jan 25, 2009 Jenn De rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting side of the coin. You always hear about the conservatives messing up, so this is interesting to hear about the liberals taking a stumble.
Hannah
Sep 22, 2007 Hannah rated it liked it
Very interesting book... explains to the reader a myriad dozens and dozens of unknown facts about various politicians. Everyone interested in politics should read this book.
David Carraturo
Nov 30, 2011 David Carraturo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As relevant now as when I read it six years ago. Laughed at the liberal hypocracy. Excellently researched.
Ken MacMillan
Feb 17, 2012 Ken MacMillan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It offers a very enlightening peak into the lives of the people profiled but not surprising at all. I recommend it for everyone.
Bob Prophet
Given to me by my father; not my favorite book. Though I did appreciate the information on Hillary Clinton and Nancy Pelosi.
Hypocrisy 1 2 Dec 29, 2012 08:30AM
  • 100 People Who Are Screwing Up America: (and Al Franken Is #37)
  • Godless: The Church of Liberalism
  • Deliver Us from Evil: Defeating Terrorism, Despotism, and Liberalism
  • The Case Against Barack Obama: The Unlikely Rise and Unexamined Agenda of the Media's Favorite Candidate
  • Shut Up and Sing: How Elites from Hollywood, Politics, and the Media are Subverting America
  • The Way Things Ought to Be
  • Unhinged: Exposing Liberals Gone Wild
  • The Death of Right and Wrong: Exposing the Left's Assault on Our Culture and Values
  • The Final Days: The Last, Desperate Abuses of Power by the Clinton White House
  • Screwed!: How Foreign Countries Are Ripping America Off and Plundering Our Economy-and How Our Leaders Help Them Do It
  • 48 Liberal Lies About American History
  • Liberalism is a Mental Disorder
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming (and Environmentalism)
  • Obama Zombies: How the Liberal Machine Brainwashed My Generation
  • Persecution: How Liberals Are Waging War Against Christians
  • The Secret Knowledge: On the Dismantling of American Culture
  • The Enemy at Home: The Cultural Left and Its Responsibility for 9/11
  • How Evil Works: Understanding and Overcoming the Destructive Forces That Are Transforming America
PETER SCHWEIZER is a research fellow at the Hoover Institution, Stanford University. From 2008-9 he served as a consultant to the White House Office of Presidential Speechwriting and he is a former consultant to NBC News. He has written for the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times, USA Today, National Review, Foreign Affairs, and elsewhere. His books include The Bushes, Reagan's ...more
More about Peter Schweizer...