Do As I Say (Not As I Do): Profiles in Liberal Hypocrisy

Do As I Say (Not As I Do): Profiles in Liberal Hypocrisy

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  37 reviews
“I don’t own a single share of stock.” —Michael Moore

Members of the liberal left exude an air of moral certitude. They pride themselves on being selflessly committed to the highest ideals and seem particularly confident of the purity of their motives and the evil nature of their opponents. To correct economic and social injustice, liberals support a whole litany of policie...more
Published October 10th 2006 by Anchor (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Do As I Say (Not As I Do), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do As I Say (Not As I Do)

Jake Wegman
I read this book on a recommendation from an old college professor, and when I saw the cartoonish cover, I figured I was in for some kind of Rush Limbaugh-esque attack vehicle, with very little research and just a lot of name calling. Well, when I saw that a third of the book is the bibliography, I was more than a little impressed. Certainly, there are times when Mr. Schwartz makes a mountain out of a molehill, but most of the facts he presents support his hypothesis very well: that if certain l...more
Meg - A Bookish Affair
This book was very short and covered a few people that conservatives love to hate. I liked some of the profiles but was very turned off by the way the author chose to forgive some conservatives who behaved badly. Excuses are never a good thing.
Carlton
Dec 14, 2007 Carlton rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This book got me thinking. Someone smarter than me wrote:

"Democrats, as a general rule, oppose giving the people any choice in matters -- unless the matter involves sex. It seemed like a good observation -- they don't think we can choose whether or not to wear seat belts, get health insurance, serve in the military (note that the biggest -- and nearly only -- proponents for reinstating the draft are Democrats), give more money to the government, or a host of other examples. It's only in matters...more
Rebecca
A great, well-researched book, with footnotes all over the place so you can look up the facts individually if you need them. It's an entertaining read, and though it was written by a conservative and will mostly be read by a conservative audience, moderates and liberals willing to be challenged about their heroes would do well to give it a try too. It's not an attack on their beliefs themselves, but on the way these liberal "icons" fail to live up to their own beliefs. It's ammunition for those...more
Don Weidinger
ppld.org: Using publicly-available real estate records, IRS returns, court depositions, and their own published statements, he sought to examine whether they lived by the principles they so forcefully advocate. What he found was a long list of contradictions. Many of these proponents of organized labor had developed various methods to sidestep paying union wages or avoid employing unions altogether. They were also adept at avoiding taxes; invested heavily in corporations they had denounced; took...more
Barbara
It's always amusing when self-righteous hypocrites are exposed for being exactly that. The Religious Right has taken a pounding from liberals for the sins of Jimmy Swaggart, Jim Bakker, and Ted Haggard. The problem is, when you condemn someone for their actions, you shouldn't be doing those same things yourself. That makes you a hypocrite.

Schweitzer's book exposes the hypocrisy of self-described liberals such as Michael Moore, Barbra Streisand, Nancy Pelosi, Al Franken, Noam Chomsky and, of cou...more
Joe Paulk
Catching a hypocrite is always fun and is especially satisfying if one views themselves as progressive. I found this book satisfying. The section on Michael Moore, supported by research, was completely compelling. I'm beginning to realize that most high profile individuals, regardless of affiliation, lack the character and convictions to actually be different and have ideals. "Do As I Say" helped call out liberals lip service for what it really is....rubbish. It is rubbish that is just as smelly...more
dejah_thoris
No idea how this ended up on my reading list, but I'm glad it did! It presented a very eye-opening examination of the professional lives of some outspoken liberal leaders. Short chapters on each individual make for quick reading and start with a summary of their convictions followed by an examination of how they manipulate their portfolio or run their business(es). Easy accessible reading for any layperson, and definitely information worth sharing.
Nick
Boy, was this interesting...

My wife picked it up for me and thought it would be a good romp through ye old Liberal Washington. What it turned out to be was one of the most over-the-top, one-sided, and entertaining books I have read in a while.

Once you distill the b.s. from the facts you can have a better appreciation for this book. Some of the facts were absolutely dumbfounding--which I did verify through independent research.
Hailey
For someone as clueless as I am about politics, this book was a wonderfully enjoyable and frustrating read. I couldn't wrap my head around the dichotomy between the action and speech of some of these people. The information was presented in a very easy, understandable manner but the topic? Ugh. These people are both infuriating and baffling.
Tony
The only thing wrong with this book is there is no chapter on Al Gore.
It is amazing to me that these individuals have no problem preaching a certain idealistic way of life that they have no intention of following themselves. That the mainstream media allows them to get away with it is even more disturbing than there behavior.
Jonathon
While I was amazed a the lack of consistency in the lives of the people that Mr. Schweizer presented, the book left me with a feeling of hopelessness that didn't seem to be solved in the book...the biggest question I was left with was, "So now what??? We now know, so what do we as ordinary Americans do about it?"
Terry
This book was fascintating. Of course, it has its share of conservative hyperbole which, in my opinion, does a disseservice to the conservative principles, however, it clearly points out the incredible hypocrisy that the elistist liberal establishment continue to demonstrate. I highly recommend the book.
Jeff Raymond
I had higher hopes for this one than were realized. Sure, the information about the massive hypocrisy amongst some of the more vocal liberals was more than useful, but it works better as a reference guide than a book, and I ended up skimming a lot of the people I didn't care much about.
Nick
This book was really interesting. Just goes to show that actions speak louder than words. In all fairness, though, I'd like to see the flip side of the coin demonstrating how some choice conservatives are equally hypocritical.
Sage Streck
Complete examination of the hypocrisy of many big-name liberals. Very interesting reading. It's too bad more people don't know many of the facts Schweizer uncovers here. Another must-read for any conservative!
Hannah
Very interesting book... explains to the reader a myriad dozens and dozens of unknown facts about various politicians. Everyone interested in politics should read this book.
Jenn De
Very interesting side of the coin. You always hear about the conservatives messing up, so this is interesting to hear about the liberals taking a stumble.
Jim Bouchard
Eye opening...no- eye exploding! The best thing is, this is simply a study of some of our most colorful and visible American voices in their own words.
Erik
A look at the contradictions between the words and actions of Noam Chomsky, Michael Moore, Al Franken, Ted Kennedy, etc.

Ken MacMillan
It offers a very enlightening peak into the lives of the people profiled but not surprising at all. I recommend it for everyone.
Bob Prophet
Given to me by my father; not my favorite book. Though I did appreciate the information on Hillary Clinton and Nancy Pelosi.
David Carraturo
As relevant now as when I read it six years ago. Laughed at the liberal hypocracy. Excellently researched.
Elke
Both sides are hypocrites. Exploring both sides would have been a better book, but it was a fun rag.
K
Michael Moore owns Halliburton stock? How the elite left has two sets of rules.
Joe Bartello
Some lib left icons get their just rewards in this expose of hypocrisy in politics.
Daniel Meltzer
This book is hilarious.*

*Please note I read this for work.
Hunter Beck
Aug 26, 2007 Hunter Beck rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: politics
Truly an eye-opener. Every American needs to read this book.
Michael
Much better and more serious than I expected it to be.
Carla
How people can be such blatant hypocrites is amazing.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Hypocrisy 1 2 Dec 29, 2012 08:30AM
PETER SCHWEIZER is a research fellow at the Hoover Institution, Stanford University. From 2008-9 he served as a consultant to the White House Office of Presidential Speechwriting and he is a former consultant to NBC News. He has written for the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times, USA Today, National Review, Foreign Affairs, and elsewhere. His books include The Bushes, Reagan's...more
More about Peter Schweizer...
Throw Them All Out: How Politicians and Their Friends Get Rich Off of Insider Stock Tips, Land Deals, and Cronyism That Would Send the Rest of Us to Prison Reagan's War: The Epic Story of His Forty Year Struggle and Final Triumph Over Communism Extortion: How Politicians Extract Your Money, Buy Votes, and Line Their Own Pockets Disney: The Mouse Betrayed: Greed, Corruption and Children at Risk The Bushes: Portrait of a Dynasty