Start by marking “Doctor Whom: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Parodication” as Want to Read:
Doctor Whom: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Parodication

Doctor Whom: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Parodication

3.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  93 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Dr. Who better watch out—Doctor WHOM is here! He’s the grammatically correct TimeLord (or should that be Time Lord? Or Timelord?) who has come to save Earth from the terror’s of sloppy syntax and bad grammar. With his intrepid assistant by his side, Whom’s on a mission to correct greengrocers sign’s, the errors of popular fiction, and government memos (memoes?). If he fail ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Gollancz (first published September 21st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Whom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Whom

Saoirse Sterling
Following on from the (success, really?) of the likes of Barry Trotter and Bored of the Rings, Doctor Who and books on correct grammar get a good going over.

I read this long before I started watching Dr Who, but from being English I didn't even need to watch it to follow this book. I knew all the stereotypes long before I understand the television series and that did not mar the reading. What did mar it, was the futile humour and the rather pathetic bandwagon themes that ran through it. But, occ
Annerlee
I stumbled across this in my local library.. it called to me... I had to take it home.

This (short) book is chuckle-worthy, quirky and clever. Great if you like Dr Who, silly but wry humour, the odd ;) play on words and have a slightly annoying grammar-tic... That's me !

I especially loved the Garlics and Cydermen... Ooh-Ahh!
Need to return the book for someone else to enjoy, but will probably visit and dip back into it when passing the 'RRR shelf.
Adam Stone
May 19, 2012 Adam Stone rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doctor-who
Not only is this a parody of Doctor Who, but it is also a parody of Lynne Truss’ Eats, Shoot & Leaves.

I have never read Eats, Shoots & Leaves but I have seen Doctor Who and I can say that this book has an attempt at spoofing Doctor Who but doesn’t really do it in an interesting enough way for me and therefore I found the book to be a bit of a wasted exercise, and not half as funny as it thinks that it is.

For me, the best bits of the book, and the most amusing, are the appendixes at the
Rich Meyer
Dec 17, 2013 Rich Meyer rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2013
Not the greatest satire, but it has the occasional snicker. The book is a parody of both Doctor Who and Eats Shoots and Leaves, and comes off a bit strained at times, not making a lot of sense from the satirical point-of-view. The last part, a fairly good parody of Genesis of the Daleks, isn't bad. But it wasn't worth the build-up.

This would be for only the diehard Doctor fans.
DarcyTheLunatic
Jun 09, 2012 DarcyTheLunatic rated it it was ok
I found this book in a secondhand bookstore and it immediately took my attention cause I'm a huge Doctor Who fan, but when I read it I was a bit disappointed. I liked the names of the characters and the idea behind it, but there wasn't really a story in it. I found it a bit boring and I was glad when I finished the book to be honest.
David Grieve
This really did not live up to the billing. The premise was good but unfortunately the execution really didn't work. It is not really funny and simply comes over as being too clever for its own good. Far too self indulgent.
Raj
Feb 27, 2010 Raj rated it did not like it
Shelves: sci-fi
Subtitled E. T. Shoots and Leaves, can you guess what this is cashing in on? I'm not a huge fan of parody and this combined DW/Lynn Truss parody didn't do much for me. At least it was short.
Savvy
Aug 03, 2012 Savvy rated it it was ok
The tribute to Dr. Who at the end is much better than the rest of the novel, actually. Although it did get interesting towards the end.
rabbitprincess
Nov 01, 2009 rabbitprincess rated it liked it
Shelves: bibliotheque, humour
A very silly book. Borrow if you want to read it -- not sure how well the humour would stand up on repeated readings.
Liz
Aug 27, 2011 Liz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love Dr Who but just could not get to grips with this book. Gave up after chapter 3 or was it 9?
Annegret
Nov 16, 2013 Annegret rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: noone
It's awful, dull, badly written, misogynistic, convoluted but plain, without wit. In short, avoid.
Johanna Nield
Apr 27, 2014 Johanna Nield rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grammar geekiness combined with 'Doctor Who' and 'Hitchhikers Guide ..' - what's not to love?

Saskia
Feb 04, 2012 Saskia rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Occasionally witty. It lost me at the "sluts" gag, though.
Bunny
Mar 23, 2010 Bunny marked it as to-read
I don't even watch Doctor Who. But I'm intrigued.
Alex Smith
Alex Smith rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Cristi
Cristi added it
Jun 17, 2016
Sabrina Reiger
Sabrina Reiger rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
Spook
Spook rated it really liked it
May 25, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Raja
Raja added it
Apr 09, 2016
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Rosebud Hughes
Rosebud Hughes rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Mike Lietz
Mike Lietz rated it it was ok
Feb 05, 2016
Jasmine
Jasmine marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Kari
Kari marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Craig Young
Craig Young rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Running Through Corridors, Volume 1: The 60s: Rob and Toby's Marathon Watch of Doctor Who
  • Ahistory: An Unauthorized History of the Doctor Who Universe
  • The Mythological Dimensions of Doctor Who
  • Doctor Who: The Inside Story
  • The Science of Doctor Who
  • The Discontinuity Guide
  • Doctor Who: Mission: Impractical
  • The War of the Lance (Dragonlance TSR)
  • Time of Your Life
  • Chicks Dig Time Lords: A Celebration of Doctor Who by the Women Who Love It
  • Doctor Who: The Highest Science
  • About Time 1: The Unauthorized Guide to Doctor Who (Seasons 1 to 3)
  • The New Discworld Companion
  • Cory Doctorow's Futuristic Tales Of The Here And Now
  • The Fictional Man
  • Book of Exalted Deeds (Dungeons & Dragons d20 3.5 Fantasy Roleplaying Supplement)
  • Expanded Psionics Handbook (Dungeons & Dragons d20 3.5 Fantasy Roleplaying Supplement)
  • Spell Compendium (Dungeons & Dragons v.3.5)

Adam Roberts (born 1965) is an academic, critic and novelist. He also writes parodies under the pseudonyms of A.R.R.R. Roberts, A3R Roberts and Don Brine. He also blogs at The Valve, a group blog devoted to literature and cultural studies.

He has a degree in English from the
More about Adam Roberts...