Doctor Whom: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Parodication

Doctor Whom: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Parodication

3.09 of 5 stars 3.09  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Dr. Who better watch out—Doctor WHOM is here! He’s the grammatically correct TimeLord (or should that be Time Lord? Or Timelord?) who has come to save Earth from the terror’s of sloppy syntax and bad grammar. With his intrepid assistant by his side, Whom’s on a mission to correct greengrocers sign’s, the errors of popular fiction, and government memos (memoes?). If he fail...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Gollancz (first published September 21st 2006)

Adam Stone
Not only is this a parody of Doctor Who, but it is also a parody of Lynne Truss’ Eats, Shoot & Leaves.

I have never read Eats, Shoots & Leaves but I have seen Doctor Who and I can say that this book has an attempt at spoofing Doctor Who but doesn’t really do it in an interesting enough way for me and therefore I found the book to be a bit of a wasted exercise, and not half as funny as it thinks that it is.

For me, the best bits of the book, and the most amusing, are the appendixes at the...more
Rich Meyer
Not the greatest satire, but it has the occasional snicker. The book is a parody of both Doctor Who and Eats Shoots and Leaves, and comes off a bit strained at times, not making a lot of sense from the satirical point-of-view. The last part, a fairly good parody of Genesis of the Daleks, isn't bad. But it wasn't worth the build-up.

This would be for only the diehard Doctor fans.
DarcyTheLunatic
I found this book in a secondhand bookstore and it immediately took my attention cause I'm a huge Doctor Who fan, but when I read it I was a bit disappointed. I liked the names of the characters and the idea behind it, but there wasn't really a story in it. I found it a bit boring and I was glad when I finished the book to be honest.
David Grieve
This really did not live up to the billing. The premise was good but unfortunately the execution really didn't work. It is not really funny and simply comes over as being too clever for its own good. Far too self indulgent.
Raj
Feb 27, 2010 Raj rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
Subtitled E. T. Shoots and Leaves, can you guess what this is cashing in on? I'm not a huge fan of parody and this combined DW/Lynn Truss parody didn't do much for me. At least it was short.
Savvy
The tribute to Dr. Who at the end is much better than the rest of the novel, actually. Although it did get interesting towards the end.
rabbitprincess
A very silly book. Borrow if you want to read it -- not sure how well the humour would stand up on repeated readings.
Liz
I love Dr Who but just could not get to grips with this book. Gave up after chapter 3 or was it 9?
Annegret
Nov 16, 2013 Annegret rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: noone
It's awful, dull, badly written, misogynistic, convoluted but plain, without wit. In short, avoid.
Johanna Nield
Grammar geekiness combined with 'Doctor Who' and 'Hitchhikers Guide ..' - what's not to love?

Saskia
Occasionally witty. It lost me at the "sluts" gag, though.
Bunny
Mar 23, 2010 Bunny marked it as to-read
I don't even watch Doctor Who. But I'm intrigued.
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Peter Cotterill
Peter Cotterill marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
StephaNeKo
StephaNeKo marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Sarah is currently reading it
May 14, 2014
Indru
Indru marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Ralph
Ralph marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
Shreya Pamulapati
Shreya Pamulapati marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Syahira Sharif
Syahira Sharif marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Adam Roberts (born 1965) is an academic, critic and novelist. He also writes parodies under the pseudonyms of A.R.R.R. Roberts, A3R Roberts and Don Brine. He also blogs at The Valve, a group blog devoted to literature and cultural studies.

He has a degree in English from the...more
More about Adam Roberts...
Yellow Blue Tibia Jack Glass Stone The Soddit: Or, Let's Cash in Again By Light Alone