How to be a Graphic Designer Without Losing Your Soul

How to be a Graphic Designer Without Losing Your Soul

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  1,486 ratings  ·  68 reviews
Designers are quick to tell us about their sources of inspiration, but they are much less willing to reveal such critical matters as how to find work, how much they charge, and what to do when a client rejects three weeks of work and refuses to pay the bill. How to be a graphic designer without losing your soul addresses the concerns of young designers who want to earn a l...more
Published September 22nd 2005 by Princeton Architectural Press (first published September 1st 2005)

Claire
Aug 30, 2009 Claire rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fledgling & flailing designers
Shelves: onhand
This book is an excellent resource for freelancers in general. Shaughnessy is a graphic designer by trade, but his insight into what it takes to become a business professional in the creative world is invaluable. I would recommend this book to writers, artists, house-painters... pretty much anyone who works from home.

Laura Fudge
I have read this before… when I first became a student. It was on the reading list, and I had heard good things, so I picked it up and read bits and pieces here and there. Now I’m in my second year of freelancing and in the middle of trying to update my website, get more exposure and improve my skills, and I thought it would be a good place to start.

This book is full of gems, that I have found extremely helpful for specific elements of my work and in general. In the first chapter, Shaughnessy di...more
Dave Emmett
This was a pretty good book. It covered a lot of the less glamorous areas of becoming a designer: things like actually getting a job and dealing with difficult clients. It also discusses the benefits/downsides of getting a job in a studio, in-house, as a freelancer, or setting up your own studio. I’m still not entirely sure where I plan on heading once I’m done school, I think working for an existing studio would be pretty cool, but I don’t want to rule anything out just yet.

I should note that w...more
Matt
I picked up this book solely based on its title, which I found to be, disappointingly, misleading. It would be more accurately titled The Practical Aspects of Being a Designer That No One In Art School Bothered To Teach You. It weighs the advantages of working for a firm versus going freelance, talks about the process of finding clients and proposing work, and provides a number of other pragmatic tips for the working designer. These are all unbelievably valuable, but not what I was expecting fro...more
فـيّ  أحمد

A fantastic & perfect book for freelances and artists who wanna starting out, it''ll teach you things that Art school won't bother to teach you.
Caitlin
Sep 02, 2009 Caitlin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone working, or wanting to work, in creative industries
Well, this was a brilliant book. I should probably admit that even though I have a postgraduate design degree, I'm not a designer - I'm a classical composer and web interface developer - but in spite of the title, I think this is a fantastic book for anyone who is aiming to work, or trying to set their own business up, in pretty much any creative industry. The advice, while design-centric, can mostly be easily applied to other creative areas, and it gives a really fresh perspective on finding jo...more
J.E. Jr.
This was an interesting book — not exactly what I expected, as I was thinking more along the lines of a “philosophy of design” book, and this is a book about the business and practice of being a working designer.

The author demonstrates and obvious and clear knowledge of the field, having worked as a designer for many years. Those just starting, or who are setting out on their own, will find this book an invaluable resource.

There are some chapters about the philosophy of design, and I found the...more
Cathy
Jul 26, 2007 Cathy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: soon-to-be-established graphic designers
contrary to what the title states, this book won't tell you how to be a graphic designer.

it WILL tell you what to do once you've acquired the software skills, graduated from a fine arts school, developed an eye for design, and found a partner with whom to start your own agency. it will tell you "how to be an experienced graphic designer".

so it didn't do that much for me - a lot of common sense advice, a few informative interviews with eminent designers, and a page layout that was easy on the eye...more
Susie
Sep 07, 2007 Susie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: freelancers, especially the arty ones
i don't remember who recommended this book to me, but i owe them a debt. this inspiring and thought-provoking text is a must-read for any freelancing graphic designer/illustrator/arts professional. reading it before i had started my own business would likely have reduced my confusion and helped me build the confidence, patience, motivation and professionalism i had to learn the hard way instead.
excellent read, excellent advice, excellent philosophies for any working creative pro.
not a text about...more
Zachary Selter
Feb 07, 2008 Zachary Selter rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beginning designers.
For a beginning designer this book has lots of little things to point out that you may not have thought of, but they are the type of things that once they are pointed out they're obvious. The mix of interviews add a nice variety to the opinions of the book, and the advice is sound. It helped bring me up during the time of job hunting.
Overall good book to have when you begin.

It also has points on starting your own business, but since i am not yet attempting that, they were less helpful for me.
Tony
Jun 11, 2008 Tony rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: recent undergraduates of graphic design
Recommended to Tony by: Design Observer
Shelves: design
I read this book several years after completing my BFA in Graphic Design, I wish I would have read it my last year of school. This books gives great insight on the structure of the graphic design world from the perspective of successful working designers. It informs readers about freelancers, small offices, larger ad agencies and corporate in-house in the contemporary work place. A quick read and is definitely helpful for young graphic designers.
Benedetto Piscitello
It's a fun book. It gives a lot of interesting tips and point of views from any type of angles related to the Graphic Design world. The student one, the Freelencer one, the Studio's Owner one, the Client. A lot of tips and tricks related to the presentation of a portfolio and much much more. Easy to read and it contains again many stories, interviews and general heads up that can be very useful.
Cara
Jun 03, 2013 Cara marked it as to-read
I really really wanted to read this, but then I read the Kindle sample and found it very tedious. Is it just the copious amounts of front matter (two introductions and a foreword, totaling 10% of the book) that are boring, or is the whole book the same? Reading the table of contents made me want to buy it; reading the sample made me want to not. :P
Michael Graber
This book gives practical, from the trenches advice for creative professionals. We read it as a group at The Southern Growth Studio. Everyone could relate. You could simply replace the word "designer" with such terms as writer, actor, etc. ... and make the content relevant for any creative who has to hustle with integrity to make a living.
James
A really informative book aimed at students and recent grads. I have little else to say than to tell you to go get it. Full of brilliant information that I feel as if I will take to heart for the rest of my life. One of the only books I own that I have defaced by highlighting some of the contents. Need to read this again.
Nick Florence
This book offers practical advice for aspiring (and current) designers to use in the real world. He gets straight to the point touching on topics like dealing with interviews, developing your portfolio, and even running your own studio. Definitely worth the read if you're considering a career in design.
AIGA Charlotte
How to be a graphic designer without losing your soul addresses the concerns of young designers who want to earn a living by doing expressive and meaningful work, and who want to avoid becoming hired drones working on soulless projects.

Read at June 2007 by the Book
Greg
One of the best design books I've seen yet. Adrian isn't dishing out a lot of eye candy here, just enough to keep the reader inspired, but he offers a rich lineup of real-world suggestions for any practicing designer or students looking at surviving in a competitive field.
Dyna
Dec 02, 2007 Dyna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Frustrated Designers
This book was really instrumental in helping me quit my job and start my business. I already had that seed planted in my head, but it was an affirmation of my decision. I decided to post it (even though it's been a while since I've read it) for all you frustrated designers.
Sara McAllister
Engaging read. I especially liked the designer profiles and real-world examples. I met the author last year at a portfolio show and he's truly interested in seeing students become designers great designers... while stressing that fame does not necessarily equate with greatness.
This book was recommended to me countless times by professors. I wish it could have inspired me more, but it didn't do much more than bore me. I tried to read it again recently in the midst of a very depressing job search, but it still didn't resonate.
Scott Boms
If you've read Mike Monteiro's "Design is a Job", this is the book you should read next. In my case I read it first, a few years ago but it's a great book to turn to anytime you need to be reminded what your job actually is and how to do it.
T.
/ Read again on 6-11 March 2013.
/ Read again on 2-6 December 2011.
/ Read again on 13 March 2010.
/ Read again on 25-29 August 2009.
/ Read again on 14-15 May 2008.
/ First read on 10-20 December 2007.
Tommy
Anyone just getting into graphic design (or those of you who might be losing your spark) need to place this book on top of your list. The design of the book in itself is inspirational, and the messages inside are at once humorous and practical.
Jennie
Mar 19, 2008 Jennie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: design students
Useful book for the business end of graphic design. I liked the exterior design and color scheme of the book, but I thought the layout of the inside pages was a little awkward, calling attention to the white space and away from the text itself.
See-ming Lee
This is a fantastic book on how to be a graphic designer in the competitive market. If you reverse its point, it also helps a lot in understanding how to interview designers when piles of portfolios and resumes arrive at your desk.
Chrissy
When my boss at work (the VP of marketing) saw this book on my desk at work he said 'gosh, does being a designer really put your soul at risk?' Well, yes. At least our art soul. So for those who are in the designer boat its a good read.
Katie
This book had some good advice and practical insight. A quick read, ideal for upcoming/recents college graduates or those wanting to break out and start their own business.Shaughnessy's writing style is casual and easy to identify with.
green-earth
This is a good book, but I found it didn't really answer the question of how not to lose your soul. A lot of great advice for graphic designers starting out - especially on preparing a portfolio, interviews and seeking out mentors.
Brianne
didn't tell me anything i didn't already know and sure as hell didn't tell me jack shit bout not losing my soul. more like a 'it's-my-first-day-out-of-design-school-and-i-need-a-book-to-tell-me-all-the-things-i-should-already-know-by-now
  • How to Think Like a Great Graphic Designer
  • Making and Breaking the Grid: A Graphic Design Layout Workshop
  • Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines
  • Grid Systems in Graphic Design/Raster Systeme Fur Die Visuele Gestaltung (German and English Edition)
  • Sagmeister: Made You Look
  • Things I have learned in my life so far
  • Meggs' History of Graphic Design
  • Logo Design Love: A Guide to Creating Iconic Brand Identities
  • 79 Short Essays on Design
  • The Elements of Typographic Style
  • Thinking with Type: A Primer for Designers: A Critical Guide for Designers, Writers, Editors, & Students
  • Fingerprint: The Art of Using Hand-Made Elements in Graphic Design
  • A Smile in the Mind
  • 100 Ideas That Changed Graphic Design
  • Design Basics Index: A Graphic Designer's Guide to Designing Effective Compositions, Selecting Dynamic Components & Developing Creative Concepts
  • The New Typography
  • Designing with Type: The Essential Guide to Typography
  • Grid Systems: Principles of Organizing Type
Graphic Design: A User's Manual Studio Culture: The Secret Life of a Graphic Design Studio Cover Art By: New Music Graphics Look at This: Contemporary Brochures, Catalogues & Documents Sampler: Contemporary Music Graphics